Team Torrent (Retiring)

Introduction: This is a team I've been using for the longest time, dating back at least two months by reading some of my old posts regarding it in another forum. Although I've made some slight changes here and there to keep it up with the times, it's remained incredibly steady throughout its use, and has carried me up into the leaderboard several times. However, it is time for me to move on and work on a new team, so I figured it would only be fitting to publish what worked so well for me. I hope you enjoy it ;).

The Team at a Glance:

I have resistances and/or immunities to every move type, only one member of my team is affected by Toxic Spikes, and half my team takes half-damage from Stealth Rock. Overall, it is a bulky-offensive team with two outliers: Salamence and Empoleon. Scizor is the only Pokemon with a recovery move, I utilize the Dual Screen strategy (albeit on two different Pokemon rather than one), and I have no specific physical or special "wall".

It deals well with all team types: offensive teams are raped as soon as Empoleon is set up, and Salamence outspeeds most team members for the OHKO; bulky teams are all OHKOd by Empoleon once they have their health or main counters whittled down a bit, and they can't take repeated hits from Pokemon such as Metagross or Salamence; and even stall teams are picketed by Metagross' Explosion and Empoleon's Surf.

In general, my main troubles consist of teams that feature many bulky waters, paired with Blissey or something that uses the Wish/Protect strategy. However, I once that Pokemon is gone, I am usually able to set up and sweep.

The Team:
---

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/248 Def/8 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

The first thing I wanted to be able to do was to get Stealth Rocks out on the field as soon as possible, as Empoleon needed the entry damage to get key OHKOs on opponents such as Salamence (I originally ran Hydro Pump/Grass Knot rather than Surf/Ice Beam), and overall Stealth Rock is just amazing at inhibiting threats such as Gyarados that I have trouble stopping more than once or twice. I looked at multiple leads, ranging from Azelf (which was immensely popular at the time as I remember it, and still is) to Heatran, but all of them seemed either too quick to die or too narrow in its purpose. I wanted something sturdy that would last throughout the match as well as counter several important Pokemon - basically the most general, simple, bulky lead possible.

Swampert fit the bill. Theoretically, Earthquake would slaughter any Heatran, Metagross, or Tyranitar that dared lead, and Avalanche (which was originally Ice Beam, but was changed due to the advent of CMLatias) would help with any dragon problems, especially those troublesome DDMence that get locked into Outrage (although now I usually just SR first turn no matter what the opponent's lead, as Metagross and Heatran leads have loften run Occa Berries and it's better to just get rocks down quick). Roar was placed in the last slot as I'd never really found Waterfall or Stone Edge on Swampert useful.

I decided to run Impish and max out HP and Defense just so I wouldn't have to lose any staying power - it's not like Earthquake would OHKO anything with a couple extra EVs that it otherwise wouldn't.

---

Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/164 Def/92 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Reflect
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt

With the advent of Platinum, Scizor became a huge threat. I'd used SD Scizor even before Platinum, with Quick Attack over Bullet Punch, and I knew how dangerous it could be. That's why I was quick to use the new Rotom form; not only did it provide me a reliable Scizor check, but it also gave me a Fighting/Normal immunity and a way to support my team via Reflect and WoW.

Now, both WoW and Reflect on the same Pokemon seems pointless and like a waste of a slot, but it's honestly proved very valuable. Oftentimes Heatran switch into Rotom hoping to get a Flash Fire boost, so I usually Reflect turn one to scout out their team. If something such as Tyranitar switches in, I can then burn in next turn, effectively quartering it's attack so that I can switch out to Scizor or Metagross and scare it away. Even something as monstrous as a Choice Banded Crunch does little damage after it's been neutered by Rotom.

Overheat and Thunderbolt are quite obvious - Overheat hits Scizor, and Thunderbolt lets me take out Gyarados, Skarmory, and deal neutral damage to most switch-ins. I thought about using Shadow Ball over WoW or Reflect for a while, but soon decided that it wasn't worth it. Most Pokemon I'd need Shadow Ball to kill are faster than Rotom, and without significant Special Attack investment I wouldn't do enough damage to warrant the switch. Also, luring in a Shadow Ball or other dark/ghost move, which are often choiced, allows me to switch Scizor in and then screw around with their minds with a combination of U-turn and Light Screen.

---

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Light Screen

Speaking of Scizor. I originally ran the SD set, but I was tired of getting picked off by HP Fire Celebi and needed something defensive that could restore HP and scout around my opponent's team, something very important to my own team as I'd only have once chance to sweep with Empoleon and I needed to make sure that I'd be able to do it before actually trying.

I essentially maxed out the HP (minus a couple EVs for speed to break speed-ties) and attack and left everything else as is. Bullet Punch is an amazing move for picking anything off at low health (it's nearly as powerful as CBGross' Bullet Punch), and as aforementioned, U-turn is valuable as a scouting move and just for dealing damage. As a side note, this survives the standard Celebi HP Fire even after taking Stealth Rock damage, allowing me to U-turn out, usually OHKOing it in return.

Roost was another essential move; in order for Scizor to stay alive throughout the game and continue scouting/revenge killing (I am usually very conservative with Metagross and Scizor as you never know when a Bullet Punch will come in handy late game), I needed to be able to heal whenever the oppurtunity presented itself.

Finally, Light Screen was chosen for the last slot. Although it may seem to be an odd move choice, it's proven quite useful, allowing Empoleon to survive Thunderbolts or Earth Powers that it otherwise wouldn't while it Agilities for the sweep. It also helps the team in the grand scheme of things as I have no true "special wall" and my team doesn't really like handling beasts like Specs Jolteon. In fact, there have been multiple instances where I've been able to outstall Vaporeon at the end of a game through the use of Roost and Light Screen.

---

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 200 Atk/252 Spd/56 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

After I had my basic defenses covered, I needed something to back up the team, something fast and powerful just in case I'd lost my defensive core. At first I tried using DDMence with Roost, but it proved to be too slow at setting up and was often outsped or KOd before I could really wreak havoc with it. I talked to Jimbo about my problem a little bit, and he suggested using ScarfMence. Iirc, he was using it on one of his teams at the time, and it was working wonders for him. So I tried it out.

ScarfMence is the very definition of power and speed. Nothing can really switch in without fear of being 2HKOd, and nothing really outspeeds it. Due to its surprise factor - almost all Mence are DD or mixed variants nowadays - I can often switch in and get a free revenge kill on some unsuspecting Jolteon or ScarfTran. It's two most powerful moves, Draco Meteor and Outrage, allow me to hit hard from both sides of the spectrum; the former is primarily used for quick revenge kills so I'm not locked into Outrage and revenge-killed myself, and the latter is mainly for end-game sweeping when my opponent only has two or three Pokemon left.

Earthquake is a Mence staple, as it allows me to take out Heatran and ScarfZone, and Fire Blast helps me deal with steels such as Skarmory or Scizor that I can't really kill otherwise.

Mence's SR weakness is a pain, but isn't often that huge of a deal. I hardly ever use him more than three times per match, and on average he takes out a Pokemon every time he switches in. It just takes some smart switching to keep him alive.

---

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash

After deciding on Mence and testing a basic version of the team for a few battles, I realized that there was something I lacked: raw power. CBGross was the first Pokemon that popped into my mind - I'd used it before, and its ability to revenge kill with Bullet Punch, mangle with Meteor Mash and Earthquake, or just tear holes in teams with Explosion was extremely attractive. I haven't changed anything about this set since I first used it.

Metagross, like Swampert, is about as simple as you can get for a Choice Bander. It has an incredibly powerful STAB move (with an added 10% chance or raising its already monstrous attack), a useful priority move, the best attack in the game in Earthquake, and finally the catastrophic Explosion - even Skarmory can't withstand its power. Swampert, Skarmory, and Hippowdon, three of Metagross' most common counters, are all set up upon or killed by Scizor and Rotom.

Finally, Metagross' typing is fantastic and key to this team's success. In a metagame full of obscenely powerful dragon moves, having something that can repeatedly switch in is a huge bonus. Due to its bulk, it's also often my first switch-in to Pokemon like Gengar or Azelf, as I can survive nearly any hit and then OHKO in return.

---

Empoleon (M) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Finally, the king of the team. I just want to say thanks to chris is me or whoever it was that came up with this set (honestly I can't remember, it was forever ago), as it's amazing. Everything in the game, save Blissey and Vaporeon, is 2HKOd by this, and after I have an Agility, nothing can really outspeed it without a boost. There are so many times I can recall where I was down something like 5-1 or 4-1 and made a comeback with SubPetaya Empoleon. So many teams are just unprepared for it.

One of the hardest things about using this, though, is timing. If you set up too soon or too late, you've often lost the game. As a general rule, you want to know your entire opponent's team, or at least 5 of the 6 members, before you decide to set up. And always Agility first.

As already mentioned, Surf is obscenely powerful. I've thought about using Hydro Pump recently just for the power boost, but have decided that it's just not worth the loss in accuracy. Ice Beam was chosen over Grass Knot because Surf does more to Gyarados anyways, and Celebi is a pain in the butt (it's also nice to OHKO the dragon switch-ins hoping you have Grass Knot).

Empoleon is in part so successful in this metagame because of its typing. It resists all but one priority moves - the key of which is Bullet Punch, which it 4x resists - and can switch in on common water and ice type moves. It also has just the right amount of bulk - it survives most Thunderbolts and strong STAB moves with just enough HP left to activate Torrent and the Petaya Berry. With the right timing, you can Agility while being attacked, essentially letting your opponent set you up for you.
---

In Closing: I'm not really going to go through an entire threat list, as most threats are covered in a manner which is obvious and doesn't really need to be discussed. I will, however, analyze the Pokemon that do give me problems as well as some of the key threats of today's metagame and how I go about dealing with them.

Azelf: I usually just switch Metagross in on it to kill it with Bullet Punch or Meteor Mash, as I can't be OHKOd by Fire Blast without a crit. If it does manage to get a kill, my opponent usually leaves it in on Salamence, expecting to get in a bit more damage before being KOd, allowing me to outspeed and kill it outright. It can also provide an oppurtunity for a full-health Empoleon to set up on, as none of its moves OHKO.

Blissey: Empoleon's bane. Metagross, Scizor, and Salamence all have a field day with Blissey, but I have to be wary of Protect in the case of Metagross so I don't waste my Explosion. Swampert can consistently switch in and Roar it out/scout its moveset - if it runs T-wave or Flamethrower, I just keep swampert in, and it it runs Toxic I switch in Metagross or Scizor to scare it away.

Breloom: This can be tricky to deal with at times, but is never too much to handle. Usually I just let it sleep whatever I feel is the least needed at the moment (usually Swampert) and then switch to Rotom to scare it away, or Scizor to slow U-turn out of it to something like Metagross or Salamence, destroying its sub in the process so I can then kill it.

Empoleon: Metagross can sometimes survive a hit and KO. If it runs Ice Beam over Grass Knot I can just Roar it away with Swampert before it gets down to less than 33% without much worry. It also never suspects Mence to outspeed and OHKO it after it has an Agility under its belt.

Infernape: As this is usually a lead, I can usually maim or kill it with Swampert. Most games I just revenge-kill the unsuspecting monkey with Salamence.

Latias: Scizor rapes this thing. Especially with Light Screen and U-turn. ScarfMence also loves destroying it with Outrage, as my opponent rarely suspects I run scarf.

Lucario: Swampert and Metagross hit it with Earthquake, and Rotom can usually maim it with WoW or just OHKO with Overheat. I also revenge-kill it often with Mence (notice the recurring theme here).

Machamp: Rotom just loves using this thing as an oppurtunity to set up Reflect and WoW, even if it is running Payback.

Salamence: I kill this with half my team: Swampert hits with Avalanche, Metagross and Scizor both deal upwards of 40% with Bullet Punch, and ScarfMence can often get a revenge kill.

Tyranitar: Rotom also uses this as an excuse to set up Reflect and WoW. Metagross and Scizor rape it with Bullet Punch, Swampert has a field day with Earthquake, and Salamence slaughters it with Earthquake.

Well, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed reading my rmt ;).

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seems like a very nice team, the one thing I dont get is that Empoleon doent have 12HP Evs as that makes its HP divisible by 4 and therefore petaya berry activates after the 3rd substitute making priority attacks less of a threat, i know you say you usually get attacked and im guessing with SR damage it would activate after 3rd substitute anyway, I still feel it should have those 12HP evs just incase SR isnt up or you dont get attacked. Other than that it looks good.

Use smogon dex for EVs on empoleon.

Other than Choice Specs, choice flygon >>>>> salamence anyday. Salamence takes 25% each time it comes in, thats only 5 switch ins, and then remember weather or switch in damage. Not to mention that flyon's defensive typing is wayy better + it has U-turn.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Naughty (+Atk,-SpD)
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Moves:
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-U turn
-Fire Blast

I've changed my hp IV to 30 on Empoleon allowing me to max out speed, so the Berry still activates after three subs ;). Good catch, though.

Scarf Flygon is nice and all, but it honestly doesn't pack the power I need it to. As I said, Stealth Rock hasn't proved to be that big of an obstacle, as Mence is mainly used to get unsuspecting revenge kills early-game, and then just go on an Outrage/Draco Meteor spree end-game. Salamence also features intimidate, and is generally bulkier/has better typing for my team.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You don't need to change the HP IV to 30 - if you use 12 HP/ 12 Def/ 252 SpAtk/ 232 Speed, you gain slightly more survivability(this is important because at 25%, you are still vulnerable to priority, even if resisted) and still outspeed everything of note.

Not much else. It's hard to rate these retired teams, because they are already proven to work well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)