Team Rocket's Finest [OU RMT]

Hey there Smogon! Giovanni here. I've been experimenting with this team on PO and it's been winning about 2/3 of the time, but I want to improve that statistic before RNG'ing it into my cartridge. Work smarter, not harder, as I like to say. As this will eventually be a wi-fi team, please do not be "that guy" and suggest a Rotom form for what I think to be rather obvious reasons. With that in mind, I present to you the finest of Team Rocket's Battlers.

CHANGES IN BLUE

Team Building Process

I wanted to build a team around Rock Polish Aggron, because the power it backs is in and of itself astounding. With a single Rock Polish, Aggron can outspeed most OU Pokemon not holding a Choice Scarf and deliver heavy damage (225 BP Head Smash with no recoil ftw?) Aggron is a force to be reckoned with and I have no idea why he is still in the UU tier. He wrecks people who aren't ready for him. As the team is being built around him, I'd prefer it if he stayed there.

The next Pokemon that I considered for my team was Lead Empoleon. Why, you may ask? Because he completely dominates most of the common leads and gets Rocks up too! When Hydro Pump can take out a Lead Metagross, you know you've got it made (people tend to ragequit when that happens). The only real trouble I've had is Lead Machamp and Abomasnow, but one is only used on hail teams and Machamp has declined in use ever since people starting running things to counter it.

The next addition to the team was Jolteon. As I have a natural hatred for Choice items, I opted for the Charge Beam + Life Orb set. Come in on predicted electric attacks, Charge Beam the switch and sweep. with a 70% chance of boosting Special Attack, I don't know why people don't use this set more often. Everyone seems to like the Choice Specs set. However, as the team stands thus far, ground type attacks are the Achilles Heel of this team, so...

Flygon. Most people expect a choice set, so when they switch in a "counter" they get met with an attack that wrecks them. However, because it is not scarfed, I have to watch out for other Flygons (since almost every other Flygon is scarfed). Flygon is great for taking ground attacks aimed at Jolteon or taking electric attacks if Jolteon happens to fall (damn you frailty!). Other than that, Flygon does his best to eliminate as much as he can given his options.

Scizor is the resident scout of the team. Most people expect banded Scizor, so when they realize my Scizor is scarfed it catches them off-guard. Yes, I actually have a Choiced Pokemon on my team. Shocking. Anyways, he's earned his keep on this team and I like what he does.

Gengar. The original ghost. I remember having nightmares about his creepy smile and how the original GSC pokedex said it killed people or something like that. Anyways, of all the pokemon on this team, Gengar seems to be the weak link. He's great when he gets a chance, but unfortunately those chances are few and far between. Really the only thing that benefits the team is a second ground resist. If anyone needed to get replaced, it would be him.

I switched Flygon for Gyarados as per Aerrow's suggestion and it was probably one of the best swaps I've made for this team. It is a reliable check for Infernape/Lucario and is just a great set up sweeper overall. Definitely earned a spot on this team.

In-depth Analysis

Empoleon @ Chople Berry
Modest | Torrent
172 HP | 252 SpA | 84 Spe
~ Hydro Pump
~ Aqua Jet
~ Stealth Rock
~ Ice Beam

Lead Empoleon is a powerhouse. 'Nuff said. Its ability to stand up against any lead not named Machamp it a definite plus. Hydro Pump brings most of the common leads into Aqua Jet KO range, even with a -Atk nature. Grass Knot wrecks Swampert leads as well as giving coverage for Hippowdon if I'm not feeling confident with Hydro Pump. Empoleon's awesome typing prevents Tyranitar/Hippowdon from breaking its Sash, and in doing so takes them out. Empoleon is great at getting rocks out, even if Taunted by the likes of Azelf/Aerodactyl. He's got the survivablity to outlast the taunt and get rocks up. If I see a Azelf/Aerodactyl, I generally Hydro Pump on the taunt and Aqua Jet them to oblivion. Hydro Pump also gets even those resisting it *coughMetagrossandJirachicough* into KO range for Aqua Jet. Overall, Empoleon has saved me many times and has earned its place on my team.

Empoleon vs. Top Leads
Azelf: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet
Aerodactyl: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet
Machamp: This one's tricky, but I'll usually switch to Gyarados to force the switch
Metagross: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet
Swampert: Grass Knot -> Aqua Jet if Sashed
Infernape: Switch to Gengar to absorb Fake OUt -> Psychic for the OHKO
Heatran: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet if Sashed
Jirachi: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet if Sashed
Ninjask: Aqua Jet Spam, throwing Stealth Rock in somewhere
Roserade: Switch to Gengar -> HP Fire for the 2KO
Hippowdon: Hydro Pump for 2KO
Dragonite: Switch to Flygon to absorb Earthquake -> Dragon Claw

Aggron @ Life Orb
Jolly | Rock Head
4 HP | 252 Att | 252 Spe
~ Rock Polish
~ Head Smash
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch

Seriously, I have no idea how Aggron is not OU yet. This steel titan hits like a truck, and can take them like a pro. After a Rock Polish, it outspeeds everything not carrying Choice Scarf, and even some Scarfers. If Aggron gets 2 Rock Polishes, forget it. Head Smash hits even neutrally for OHKOs and 2KOs. Scarmory is even 2KO'ed by Head Smash. Earthquake and Ice Punch are there for coverage, but unless you 4x resist Rock, Head Smash usually does more. Ice Punch also does numbers on, among other things, Breloom, Dragonite, and Flygon (if locked into Outrage). Like I said, Aggron hits like a truck and has great resistances that allow him to set up with ease.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Timid | Volt Absorb
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
~ Charge Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power (Ice)
~ Shadow Ball

I opted for Charge Beam Jolteon over Specs Jolteon for one simple reason: I HATE CHOICE ITEMS! Choice items, to me, give you a loss of adaptability to a situation. True, you get a boost in power but at what cost? With a choice item, you become set up fodder if I resist or am immune to what you're Choice-locked. I tend to not want my opponent to set up. Besides, if I get that SpA boost from Charge Beam (which usually happens on the first go), then I have the Special Attack of Specs with the ability to switch moves. If you're gonna suggest Choice items, then don't waste your time. I sacrifice power for adaptability. Anyways, Jolteon is one of those Pokemon that has found its niche in being able to get rid of, or at least cause severe damage to whatever it comes in on. Everyone's favorite electric fox is just such an expert at what it does, and with its huge base Special Attack it leaves dents, even neutrally. I opted HP Ice over HP grass so I can hit Dragonite/Flygon for 4x damage. Overall, I like the way Jolteon compliments this team.

Gyarados
Adamant | Leftovers
156 HP | 72 Atk | 96 Def | 184 Spd
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge

Bulky DDos is my check to things like set up Infernape/Lucario. Neither of them can deal with Gyarados, and Dos has great offensive synergy with Jolteon (GyaraJolt anyone?) This spot was originally filled by Flygon, but Flygon was not the powerhouse it needed to be. After a Dragon Dance, Gyarados, even bulky ones, tear through teams that are not prepared for it. After any counters are taken out, sometimes Dos can take out entire teams without Aggron having to show itself. It is a definite improvement over Flygon and I don't know why I didn't have it on the first place. Probably due to the 6 spot syndrome I sometimes run into. Nothing likes taking a DynamicPunch from Machamp, but Gyarados can handle it the best out of everyone.

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly | Technician
12 HP | 252 Att | 244 Spe
~ U-Turn
~ Pursuit
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower

Most people either expect a Band on Scizor, or a sweep. However, most people do not expect a Scarfed Scizor. I know you're all thinking "OMG Giovanni, I thought you hated Choice items." Well, I do, but I realize the importance of having a scout. Flygons too common and I wanted the surprise factor. Scizor was the first thing to come to mind. With base 135 Attack, he hits like a truck. U-Turn is generally the go-to move unless it's needed elsewhere (i.e. Superpower on Tyranitar, Pursuit on ghosts/Starmie). Bullet Punch is opted for over Iron Head because of the ever important priority coverage. If I had to pick one Pokemon that was the weak link on this team, I'd have to say Scizor though. I often end up losing it earlier than I'd like and that usually costs me. Plus with a lot of people running Scizor counters now, he needs to watch his back.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid | Levitate
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
~ Psychic
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast
~ Hidden Power (Fire)

Gengar is an amazing sweeper with his high Special Attack and Speed and great coverage. Protect is there to scout Pursuit. HP Fire is for getting Scizor who thinks it can get me with Pursuit, as well as dealing with Abomasnow leads. Overall I do like what Gengar does for the team, but it would also be one of the first to get changed. This frightening poltergeist can take out almost anything not named Blissey with relative ease... It's probably due to that demented smile of his.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Anyways, that's my team. Like I said earlier, it does a good job winning with about 2/3 of my matches in PO coming out with a win, but I want to work the kinks out before RNG'ing it. CC is nice and appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Azelf: Usually it's a lead, so Empoleon can take it out with Hydro Pump/Aqua Jet. If it's a scout, Scizor takes care of it with either Bullet Punch or Pursuit.

Breloom: This one is more of a problem, but usually Gengar can take care of it with HP Fire/Psychic. Jolteon also gets it with HP Ice... Provided they don't succumb to Spore.

Celebi: Jolteon (Shadow Ball/HP Ice), Scizor (Pursuit/U-Turn), Gengar (Shadow Ball, HP Fire)

Dugtrio: More of a problem, but Empoleon can take care of it with ease, as can Jolteon. Aggron can also take care of it with Aqua Tail.

Electivire: Aggron, Flygon. Both outspeed (Aggron assumes it got a RP)

Empoleon: Empoleon (Grass Knot), Scizor (Superpower), Jolteon (TBolt/Charge Beam), Gengar (Focus Blast)... Yeah......

Flygon: Jolteon (HP Ice), Aggron (Aqua Tail 2KOs)

Gengar: Scizor (Bullet Punch/Pursuit), Jolteon (Shadow Ball), Aggron (Any attack), Empoleon (Hydro Pump)

Gliscor: Empoleon (Hydro Pump), Jolteon (HP Ice), Aggron (Aqua Tail)

Gyarados: Jolteon (Charge Beam/TBolt), Flygon (Rock Slide), Aggron (Head Smash)

Heatran: Empoleon (Hydro Pump), Aggron (Earthquake/Aqua Tail)

Heracross: Gengar (Psychic/HP Fire), Empoleon (Hydro Pump)

Infernape: Gengar (Psychic), Flygon (Earthquake)

Jirachi: Gengar (Shadow Ball/HP Fire), Flygon (Earthquake), Aggron (Earthquake)

Kingdra: This one's a bit tricky, but Flygon can usually take care of it with Dragon Claw and +1 Jolteon can get KO it pretty easily

Lucario: Aggron (Earthquake), Gengar (HP Fire), Flygon (Earthquake)

Machamp: Gengar (Psychic), Empoleon (Hydro Pump)

Magnezone: Aggron (Earthquake), Flygon (Earthquake), Gengar (HP Fire)

Mamoswine: Scizor (Bullet Punch/Superpower), Empoleon (Hydro Pump), Gengar (HP Fire/Focus Blast)

Metagross: Aggron (Earthquake), Flygon (Earthquake), Jolteon (Shadow Ball)

Ninjask: Scizor (Bullet Punch), Gengar (HP Fire), Flygon (Rock Slide)

Porygon-Z: Aggron (Head Smash), Scizor (Superpower), Gengar (Focus Blast)

Rhyperior: Aggron (Earthquake), Flygon (Earthquake), Empoleon (Hydro Pump/Grass Knot), Jolteon (HP Ice)

Roserade: Gengar (Psychic/HP Fire), Scizor (U-Turn), Aggron (Head Smash)

Rotom-A: Not really a concern for a Wi-Fi team, but... Scizor (Pursuit), Aggron (Head Smash), Gengar (Shadow Ball), Jolteon (Shadow Ball)

Scizor: Gengar (HP Fire), Aggron (Head Smash/Earthquake), Flygon (Earthquake)

Snorlax: Aggron (Head Smash), Scizor (Superpower), Gengar (Focus Blast)

Starmie: Scizor (U-Turn/Pursuit), Gengar (Shadow Ball), Jolteon (TBolt/Shadow Ball/Charge Beam), Empoleon (Grass Knot)

Suicune: Jolteon (TBolt/Charge Beam), Empoleon (Grass Knot)

Togekiss: Aggron (Head Smash), Jolteon (TBolt/HP Ice)

Tyranitar: Aggron (Earthquake/Aqua Tail), Scizor (Superpower/Bullet Punch), Gengar (Focus Blast), Empoleon (Hydro Pump), Flygon (Earthquake)

Weavile: Aggron (Head Smash/Earthquake), Scizor (Superpower/Bullet Punch), Gengar (Focus Blast/HP Fire), Flygon (Earthquake)

Yanmega: Aggron (Head Smash), Jolteon (TBolt/HP Ice), Flygon (Rock Slide), Gengar (HP Fire)

Zapdos: Aggron (Head Smash), Jolteon (HP Ice/TBolt), Flygon (Rock Slide)

I can Magnezone causing problems given your large number of steel types. Particularly scarf sets. You could try a shed shell on scizor since thats the best place for zone to come it. Shed shell would let you swap out to flygon or jolt.

I agree with Rogan, but I wouldn't switch to Jolteon. A STAB Earthquake from Flygon would do the trick quite well, and I wouldn't use Aggron there if I could help it. You run the risk of getting it locked-in on Magnezone, which in most cases wouldn't be harmful, but gives them the opportunity to switch in whatever they'd like while you're stuck there.

Also, Choice Band Swampert would be a big problem to your team:
vs. Empoleon: Swampert uses Earthquake. Choice Band Swampert isn't generally used as a lead, if I recall correctly, so you can't rely on Focus Band to save you. Grass Knot could potentially OHKO it, but it'll come down to a Speed tie.
vs. Aggron: Swampert uses Earthquake, which is 4x effective and has STAB bonus. This is a OHKO situation.
vs. Jolteon: Only Shadow Ball and Ice Beam even affect Swampert, who has the bulk to handle them. Once again, Earthquake handles you quite nicely.
vs. Flygon: Swampert can't use Earthquake here, so it would have to switch out; but an Ice Punch handles Flygon easily and
vs. Scizor: Swampert uses Earthquake. Bullet Punch is a good move here, but it's 1/2 effective.
vs. Gengar: You'd outspeed Swampert with ease, but none of your attacks are super effective. That said, neither are Swampert's. If a Swampert does show up, swapping out to Gengar is your best bet.

Swampert is massively popular in the OU metagame right now, and with your current team set up the way it is, you have no way of really handling it--meaning it could sweep 5 members of your team with ease.

Flygon is a good bet here, but it's hard to find a place for a Grass-type move. SolarBeam takes two turns, so avoid it and go for Hidden Power Grass. I'd recommend replacing Roost, but then you lose the ability to shrug off entry hazard damage. A common mistake would be to assume that you wouldn't have to replace anything; every time Swampert comes out, toss out Flygon--but be careful, because if your opponent wise up to your strategy they'll use Ice Punch and OHKO you.

Instead I'd suggest swapping Hidden Power Fire for Hidden Power Grass on Gengar to deal with this, as Gengar isn't affected by Earthquake. This would handle Swampert quite nicely, but you'd lack Fire-type moves now. However, you'd be able to knock out one of the more common Pokémon in the game.

Also, don't act so cocky about Aggron. It can be useful, but you sound very confident in it where you need to be more careful. Suggesting that Rock Polish makes it invincible is wrong, as you have to actually get Rock Polish off first, and even then you're only faster than base 80s. Yes, you have high defense, but an Aura Sphere or basically any Water-type attack will stop your sweep before it even starts.

And one more thing: with Breloom, or any Substitute user, you're going to have issues. I can easily see you falling to some combination of Ninjask + a slow sweeper, be it Octillery, Marowak, Rampardos, or even Tyranitar.

@Zachary After a RP it can outspeed ScarfTran...
But it can't outspeed: Aerodactyl, Azelf, Celebi, Electivire, Flygon, Gengar, Gliscor, Gyarados, Infernape, Jirachi, Jolteon, Kingdra, Lucario, Ninjask, Roserade, any Rotom, Shaymin, Starmie, Suicune, Tentacruel, Weavile, or Zapdos.

In red are things I think would give it particular trouble.

That is, if I recall correctly that Rock Polish Aggron only outspeeds 80 base Pokémon.

Yeah, two Rock Polishes would do the job, but that's two turns of setup: one for your opponent to get out a Lucario and the other for it to OHKO you with Aura Sphere.

After a single Rock Polish, Aggron reaches 436 speed. This lets it outspeed base 140's (Electrode only reaches 416 speed) with +Spe natures and maxed EVs who are not running choice scarf and have no speed boosts, and base 80's who are scarfed. The only things in that list who commonly run Choice Scarf are: Flygon, Jirachi, Gengar, Starmie, Roserade, and Azelf. Most people only run lead Azelf and Empoleon handles them. Jolteon can handle Flygon assuming it doesn't lock itself into EQ, Jirachi is handled by Flygon and/or Gengar, Starmie is frail enough to be OHKO'ed by Scizor's Pursuit (as are Gengar and Azelf), and Scarf Roserade is completely walled by Scizor (unless they're locked into HP Fire).

As for your Lucario, most of them are not Choice Scarfed, and it only reaches a maximum of 306 speed. Easily KO'd with Earthquake.

Maybe try Ice Beam over Grass knot on Empoleon? Swampert leads have declined IMO due to HP Grass Heatran. Ice Beam gives you a surprise KO on LeadNite and missing Hydro Pump on Aerodactyl is really irritating.

I tried Ice Beam on Empoleon at first, but I changed it for Grass Knot for two reasons: Swampert and Starmie. I see more Swampert/Starmie leads than Dnite leads, and as for Hydro Pumps accuracy 80% isn't too shabby. But I will try putting Ice Beam back on there. Thanks =)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IMO, Aggron needs Spikes to accomplish a sweep, it just can't pull through walls with a base 110 Attack stat. (even with a base 150 STAB move.) For that, i suggest using Forretress over Scizor.

Forretress @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful
Spikes | Rapid Spin | Payback | Toxic Spikes / Explosion

This will ensure at least one layer of spikes, and can Spin entry hazards as well, Explosion can be used as a last-resort move, but you can go for Toxic Spikes if you wish.

Now with you're revenger/scout gone, have you ever though of a Choice Scarf Flygon ? Even though it's common, It can revenge kill Magnezone who will be a kind of a problem.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly / Adamant
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
U-Turn | Earthquake | Outrage | ThunderPunch

ThunderPunch will allow you to revenge kill +1 Spe Gyarados who otherwise seriously threatens this team, outspeed Jolteon assuming it's Jolly and OHKOing it with Earthquake while OHKOing your other team members with Waterfalls and Earthquakes.

Lead Machamp will not go down before killing at least one or sometimes two of your team members, DynamicPunch can take your Empoleon down to Focus Sash while Bullet Punch KOs, Payback can OHKO Gengar while it doesn't OHKO back using Psychic, [which is redundant on Gengar] DynamicPunch can also hit Aggron and Jolteon really hard, while Ice Punch OHKOs Flygon. [not sure if it doesn with Yache Berry though.] You need to find a way to deal with Lead Machamp.

Also, some of your Lead Match Ups aren't right.

Azelf: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet
Aerodactyl: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet
Machamp: Switch to Gengar to absorb DynamicPunch -> Psychic for the 2KO Payback > Gengar
Metagross: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet
Swampert: Grass Knot -> Aqua Jet if Sashed
Infernape: Switch to Gengar to absorb Fake OUt -> Psychic for the OHKO
Heatran: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet if Sashed
Jirachi: Hydro Pump -> Aqua Jet if Sashed
Ninjask: Aqua Jet Spam, throwing Stealth Rock in somewhere
Roserade: Switch to Gengar -> HP Fire for the 2KO Sleep Powder, I also see no reason to not use Psychic against this thing assuming you keep it on Gengar.
Hippowdon: Hydro Pump for 2KO
Dragonite: Switch to Flygon to absorb Earthquake -> Dragon Claw Dragon Claw won't OHKO [Assuming Flygon is adamant max attack it'll do 78% - 91.6% to min HP/min Def Dragonite.], that's how weak Flygon is.

I also second the guy who said Ice Beam > Grass Knot.

Oh, and one more thing, i highly recommend using a Hasty nature on Gengar and using Explosion > Psychic, because Psychic has redundant coverage.

Overall it's not a bad team. It has good synergy, and it's pretty straightforward. There are a few things I do not like about it though.

Empoleon is a beast lead. I will also agree with Ice Beam over Grass Knot. Ice Beam OHKOs Gliscor without the risk of missing it. I also agree with the edits Arikado made to how to deal with those few leads.

I'm going to agree that you are overconfident in your Aggron. It's not always the easiest thing to set up, but it does wreck things and will get at least one kill when it is set up. Mach Punchers do heavy damage to it and Vacuum Wave outright OHKOs it (both are mostly seen on Infernape and Lucario). Mach Punch can't OHKO a full HP Aggron, but after switching into Stealth Rock, taking Life Orb AND Head Smash Recoil, it does KO. Yes, you can switch to Gengar, but a smart player is not going to let these pokemon die unless your Aggron is already dead. I'm also confused about you complaining about Stone Edges accuracy when Head Smash has the same accuracy, the only difference is that HS is more powerful, but doesn't have as high of a critical hit rate.

I suggest you change Aggron to Gyarados. Gyarados has good offensive synergy with Jolteon. I think that if you are wanting a set-up sweeper, a DDos is a good team mate. This will also fix your weakness to Agility Lucario.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Atk
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Jolteon is a beast, nuff said. I have used that same set it the past, and I also prefer it to the Specs. I think Scizor is good also.

Flygon doesn't seem to add much to your team. As Arikado pointed out, you are very DDos weak. There are two good pokemon I suggest to replace Flygon, either Celebi or Shaymin. I think the latter would fit your team better though.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid
4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed
Seed Flare
Earthpower
Hidden Power Ice/Fire
Leech Seed

Gengar is an amazing sweeper, although Psychic doesn't really help him at all. I think you should just replace it with Protect. It will let you see what your opponent will use, and you can then move accordingly without risking Gengar fainting.

Overall your team was pretty solid to begin with. I hope this helped.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually, Aggron doesn't take any recoil from Head Smash because of its ability (Rock Head), which is the main reason why people still use it.

@Arikado, regarding your suggestion with Lead Machamp, what do you suggest I do? Empoleon at best either gets up rocks or is brought to its sash, Gengar, as you said, gets KO'd with Payback/Bullet Punch. I really want to keep the Empoleon lead with the RP Aggron (as my team is trying to be based around it). Thoughts? As for the Forry > Scizor and then ScarfGon, I will try that out soon and see how it works.

@AlphaJolt, I want to build this team around RP Aggron (as I feel it is severly underrated). Also, I am not concerned about how this team stands up to Rotom forms because on wi-fi they are a non-issue. Also, I generally try to save Aggron for later game. However, given an opportunity to set up (choice locked flygon's outrage, any Skarmory/Blissey set) it gets a free RP and proceeds to go. Granted, punchers are an issue but as Aggron I generally try to keep for late game, usually I can eliminate priorities who are threatening.

About lead Empoleon. I suggest running Chople over Sash.

Now you're like, "no, what about ground attacks and electric attacks?"

Well, there are no electric attacks.

Empoleon can take Heatran Earth Power, Metagross Earthquake, and Dragonite Earthquake without dying. Specstran Earth Power and Mamoswine EQ KO it, but they're quite rare in comparison to Infernape, and having a two shots at Hpumping Machamp (the Bullet Punch, it does nothing) is always nice.

Also, on Gengar, use Protect over Psychic, which is really terrible. Mysticgar is really good at beating Scizor, who can cause any speed-boosting sweeper problems.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team.

Threats

• Machamp
  • Offensive Infernape
  • Lucario (SD/Agility)
Rating upon request. Hi there, this is an excellent team you've constructed as it is nicely able to put constant pressure upon the opponent, keeping up momentum while also being able to efficiently execute it's own, unique goal of preparing the field for an Aggron sweep. As good as this team may be, I see some Pokemon that can cause if major problems if they find the right opportunity to come in and set up, preparing themselves to sweep. Machamp is probably the biggest threat to this team as nothing is going to want to take a Dynamic Punch, bar Gengar who is unable to KO Machamp with Psychic while it easily gets the Ko on Gengar with Payback. Nasty plot and swords dance Infernape are huge problems, especially if they carry priority attacks (Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave), as with said moved, they'll be able to basically rip through your entire team bar Gengar which is handled by choice scarf Tyranitar and Scizor, common teammates of Infernape's. Lastly, Lucario seems to be a huge threat as the swords dance set can single handedly heavily damage your team, although Gengar seems like a great check to it. Agility variants, on the other hand are bigger problems capable of ripping through your team if given the chance to set up.

Solutions

• Bulky Dragon dance Gyarados
[box]

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Waterfall[/box]
On a normal occasion, I would recommend using a Rotom variant, although seeing your team will be eventually used on WiFi, the changes I have in mind would be be accessible. However, I can think of another change that could help patch up the aforementioned weaknesses while also maintaining the solid offensive orientation of your team; Bulky dragon dance Gyarados seems like a great Pokemon fro this job; I would recommend replacing Flygon, probably the least valuable member on your team with this Gyarados. Both Infernape and Lucario are easily handled by Gyarados for self explanatory reasons which I will not describe as like I said, they are self explanatory. Machamp on the other hand, might trouble Gyarados a bit due to the confusion inflicted through Dynamic Punch although after the attack drop from Gyarados' intimidate, the said attack will be a lot less terrifying. Also, you may want to note that Gyarados will significantly lower the pressure you've put onto Gengar to deal with some common and fierce threats in the current metagame. I hope this helped, and good luck!

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just posting to say that in Gyarados' description you said "Bulky DD Gyarados", although your EVs resemble that of the offensive variant. I think you should change the EVs to 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)