Monotype Team Normal

Normal-type is a curious case. It has no advantages but only one weakness, Fighting-type. so it is not so weak as one might expect. Besides Normal pokémon usually have a surprising move list selection and so they can cover their own short-comings with some ease. So I set upon myself to build a Monotype Team with this type.

All input is welcome!

Cinccino @ Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Tail Slap

Cinccino is a terrible pokémon but it has one good point: Skill Link. With it Cinccino always hits 5 times with multi-hit moves and, by complete sheer luck it can learn 3: Bullet Seed, Rock Blast and Tail Slap (this one is a stab). They provide great coverage and since Cinccino has decent speed it can use them reliably. Aqua Tail is a good coverage option.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Porygon2 equipped with a Eviolite allows it to take on an impressive number of special attacks. Recover further expands this number and Toxic puts pressure on the opponent. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt give it a nice coverage. I chose Trace because I forgot it ahd other abilities before a battle with a bug team that used Shedinja. The opponent gave up immediately.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Chansey is the second stall option of the team, this time physically. Thunder Wave and Toxic allow Chansey to cripple opponents and Soft-Boiled to heal itself. Seismic Toss allows Cnasey to cosplay Charizard from the anime and deal damage withour relying on its attack. Natural Cure allows it to heal its own status ailments and Eviolite boosts its defenses.

Staraptor @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird

I always like a Defog/Rapid Speed user in my teams and so I choose Staraptor to fulfill this role. Since it is a Flying type, it can also endure some Fighting atacks but unfortunately its best attacks need recoil and so Staraptor is bound to be a short-lived battler. Roost augments its useful time and U-turn allows it to escape sticky situations somewhat. Brave Bird is the attack I chose for damage.

Slaking @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Giga Impact2

Slaking is the team's revenge killer. This is because of a combination of two factors: one is its ability Truant that only allows one attack once each two turns and its amazing stats that would allow it to be a pseudo legendary if only it could move its fat a**. So I attached a Choice Scarf to increase its speed, almost assuring it is going to move first and a wide movepool. Night Slash allows Slaking to hit Ghost-types, Play Rough damages Dragons, Earthquake and Giga Impact is the main option (Retalaite has less base power even boosted). Of course, Slaking demands good predictions and that you can assure it will not face a Protect user.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- High Jump Kick

Mega-Lopunny is the heavy hitter of the team. When it Mega-Evolves it gains scrappy which allows it to reach Ghosts with its Fighting moves and gains decent boosts to its Attack. High Jump Kick and Return are its stab attacks. Ice Punch is a physical ice attack that gives Mega Lopunny coverage and Power-Up Punch allows it to set up at the same time it deals damage.

Last edited:
Reserving for later but-

Replace Slaking, it’s horrible. Despite its attack stat, Truant is bad. I’d suggest using a Naive ditto with 252/4/252 Naive or 252/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)