Team Lol at Names (2nd RMT)

Hello Smogon! Welcome to my 2nd RMT. This is essentially the first Team, just fixed, and every pokemon has been given a redux. Let's dive right in, and then we can get to more fixing!

Changes in RED.

Anti-Lead

Iron Giant
Nature: Adamant Item: Lum Berry Ability: Clear Body
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Explosion
236 HP/ 228 Atk/ 20 Defense/ 24 Speed

Great suggestion. Metagross is just so versatile, and he's found a home in my team. He stacks up well against most leads, Mashing or Quaking when they expect Rocks or a switch. He's really helpful against Machamp and Sleep Leads.​

Meteor Mash is STAB and has amazing hax, I mean who doesn't love an Attack raise randomly? Earthquake is Gross' bread and butter, being a great physical move and preventing being walled by most Steels. Bullet Punch to priority kill and finish off sashers. Explosion to boom when Metagross isn't looking so hot.​

Possible Changes:
-None​
Stealth Rocker

MegaMUDKIP
Nature: Relaxed Item: Leftovers Ability: Torrent
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Roar
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 6 Sp. Def

Swampert is one of the best Stealth Rocker in the game, and I'm seeing him played less and less as a lead. Honestly, I can't blame them, even though they may not get up until mid game, Swampert definetely is a great addition.

Stealth Rock is just kind of... duh. Ice Beam for Dragon's and Grass switch-ins without being negative priority like Avanlanche or losing power like Ice Punch. Earthquake is STAB and offers some pretty good coverage. Roar is because my team needs phazing and lacks another phazor.

Possible Changes:
-None
Rapid Spinner

PokerFace
Nature: Timid Item: Life Orb Ability: Natural Cure
-Hydro Pump
-Rapid Spin
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
4 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Speed
Starmie has been OU for it's entirety for a reason, in fact it's one of the only 2 pokemon who can stake that claim. Starmie is just amazing, being fast, access to good support like Rapid Spin and Recover and having decent special attack.

Hydro Pump is over Surf to 2HKO Spinblockers, but the key misses are making me want to switch back. Rapid Spin gets rid of Entry Hazzard's that could otherwise harm my team. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam give me perfect neutral coverage against everything not named Magnezone or Lanturn.

Possible changes:
-Changing EV Spread closer to Rapid Spinner
-Surf over Hydro Pump
Revenge Killer

HEATRAN
Nature: Naive Item: Choice Scarf Ability: Flash Fire
-Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Explosion
4 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Speed​
Scarfed Heatran? Yup, really. Heatran is probably the best Fire type there is, since Stealth Rock has raped some of the best pokes. With the Scarf he outspeed's all but Electrode and Ninjask.​

Dragon Pulse is to Revenge Outrage locked Flygon, Dragonite and some Kingdra. Earth Power is to catch other Heatran on the switch and non-Scarfed Heatran's, plus it's safer than a Fire Blast. Fire Blast is extremely powerful with STAB and possible ability boost. Explosion is to go boom when I'm running low on life.​

Possible Changes:
-Flamethrower over Fire Blast (I've had a miss here and there, but nothing all that crucial yet.)​

Mexican
Nature: Bold Item: Leftovers Ability: Levitate
-Leaf Storm
-Discharge
-Shadow Ball
-Will-o-wisp
252 HP/ 172 Def/ 84 Speed​
I gave in, after months of seeing other Rotom forms, I now use an AR and have one of my own, but OMQ it was worth it. Rotom is just plain out amazing. I thought he would suffer because of low HP, but he's so bulky he is amazing. Without him I'd have no check for Offesive Gyara.​

Leaf Storm is for Swampert and some other pesky Ground Types. Discharge is awesome because it has the much higher ParaHax chance, which is just unresistable. Shadow Ball also get's STAB and can hit Ghost swtich-in's. Will-O-Wisp adds to Rotom's phyisical bulk.​

Self-Explanatory EV's, Max HP, enough Speed to outpace Neutral no-investment other Rotom forms and the rest went to Def.​

Possible Changes:
-Changing the Nickname Mexican to Mexican't​

Pimp Daddy
Nature: Adamant Item: Life Orb Ability: Insomnia
-Sucker Punch
-Night Slash
-Brave Bird
-Superpower
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed​

My "Late Game-Sweeper". I say this loosely, as he potential can be used up much earlier. Honckrow is largely underestimated, holding the most powerful priority move in the game in STAB Sucker Punch. Night Slash is to hit switch-ins that expect a Sucker Punch, so switch for fun. Brave Bird is for Fighting Types like Machamp and Breloom, but can be used to maim many other things. Superpower is for Steels who could otherwise wall this set.​

Possible Changes: Pursuit over Night Slash to KO fleeing Ghosts and other frailties.​

Feel free to rate my team, as I'll be using this Team for the next year or so.​

Edit: I'm going to start a SMALL threat list, things on here will be rated by the following:
Orange if they're a moderate threat. In other words with a good play on my behalf, they can be beaten.
Red if it's a large threat. If I don't play absolutely perfectly (and even some hax) this thing could be a real problem.

Gengar- Sub+3 Attacks- Probably the most threatening as if it Subs on Honchkrow's Sucker Punch it can be a really big pain. Hopefully I can revenge him with Heatran or Starmie.
- Life Orb- Since he can only attack, Honchkrow can KO, even coming on a Shadow Ball it'll still win.
Vaporeon- Wish Support- One of my only defensive problems. Standard set is easily 2HKO'd by Starmie's T-Bolt, a more defensive variant like 252 HP/188 Def/68 Sp. Def could be a pain.

Jolteon- Choice Specs- Since he's locked into one move I generally just keep forcing him to switch until Sucker Punch will KO or Heatran doesn't have to revenge it.
-Life Orb- See above, but I pretty much have to revenge it.

Electivire- Mixed- If he gets his Motor Drive boost it just comes down to his choice of HP, Ice means Swampert is my only hope, Grass mean's Honchkrow is my only hope.
- Physical- Less of a problem after Motor Drive, but still a problem. Swampert and Gross essentially wall it and can hit with EQ, worst case Scenario, Honchkrow + Sucker Punch = :D

I have read through your team, and found it basically flawless. You are right, swampert is a great lead, but the only skepticism I have about it is the choice of Ice beam, wouldn't be better for it to have a strong rock move like Rockslide, or Stone Edge because of its lack of Sp. Atk? Sure, you might get a lead that might make that Ice beam 4x damage, but anything else you will have less of a chance putting a dent in it. Other then that, its a well set up team and I congratulate you! =]

Iron Giant
Nature: Adamant Item: Iron Ball Ability: Clear Body
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Trick
-Explosion
236 HP/ 252 Atk/ 22 Speed​

This guy is a beast if used right. I read up on this in the Under-Used set's section of Smog 10, and I can and can't see why this isn't used all that often. While AgiliGross is a great set-up sweeper, it by no means out-classes this guy. If I manage to get rid of my Iron Ball and get something useful like LO or Lefties, then he just can rape.​

Meteor Mash is amazing, massive STAB damage and a hax of Attack raise? Love it. Earthquake is Gross's Bread and Butter. Trick is what defines this set. Explosion to go Boom after their Metagross counter is down. There's only one Poke who can resist EQ and MM with Iron Ball, and that's Ludicolo.​

Possible Changes:
-8 More Speed EV's so I outspeed all Gengar​
Hmmm. Your team seems flawless but I don't like the idea of using this type of Metagross. I like the idea of what you are tring to do. But it seems these days that Metagross is extremely overused, such as LO Starmie, Choice Scizor, and Choice Tyranitar. Those pokemon are easliy taken down because it is extremely overused and everyone would be expecting it. If you are keeping this setup, don't add 8 more Speed EV's because Iron Ball completely slows it down already. Once you trick it it wouldn't matter if it had speed ev's or not because the other pokeon would still be extremely slow because of iron ball.

Trick is what defines this set. Explosion to go Boom after their Metagross counter is down.​

Why Explode once their counter is gone? Why not stay in and hurt some more pokemon instead of just blowing up. I've never used TrickBall Gross but Exploding for no reason seems kind of dumb.

A Specs Jolteon can hurt this team if used correctly. T-Bolt and Shadow Ball hit half your team SE, Swampert is included if it carries HP Grass. It's not a real weakness but something that should be noticed and needs to be played carefully around.

Other than those comments great team!​

Hmmm. Your team seems flawless but I don't like the idea of using this type of Metagross. I like the idea of what you are tring to do. But it seems these days that Metagross is extremely overused, such as LO Starmie, Choice Scizor, and Choice Tyranitar. Those pokemon are easliy taken down because it is extremely overused and everyone would be expecting it. If you are keeping this setup, don't add 8 more Speed EV's because Iron Ball completely slows it down already. Once you trick it it wouldn't matter if it had speed ev's or not because the other pokeon would still be extremely slow because of iron ball.
The reason I'd add, is because the #1 switch-in for this set is Gengar right now. It'll still outspeed after Iron Ball, and I really just want it out of the game, as (Like Lucien Lachance said) LO Gengar and Jolteon can be big pains.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I got your PM but there does not realy seem much to fix. I really suggest Hydro Pump on Starmie though. The mian reason for this is that it will 2KO spinblockers while Surf sometimes lacks the extra power to do so.

Have a Nice Day!

I appreciate that you're utilizing some unique sets from the Smog, but leading with Swampert leads to difficulties against both Roserade and Machamp leads.

An easy way to fix this would be to have Metagross and Swampert switch positions, while switching Metagross to the Anti-Lead set:

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 236 HP / 228 Atk / 20 Def / 24 Spe
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

You'll no longer have problems with either lead, as Lum Berry allows you to escape sleep/confusion and easily 2HKO. Metagross stacks up well against many of the common leads, with the exceptions of Infernape and Heatran. The advantage here is that since you have Swampert on your team, you can easily switch to it and set up Stealth Rock. Explosion can be used later to get rid of major threats.

If you're planning to play Starmie offensively, use the LO Rapid Spin set:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

This is a huge threat to both stall and offensive teams alike, and retains the useful ability to spin away entry hazards.

Good luck with your team!

I appreciate that you're utilizing some unique sets from the Smog, but leading with Swampert leads to difficulties against both Roserade and Machamp leads.

An easy way to fix this would be to have Metagross and Swampert switch positions, while switching Metagross to the Anti-Lead set:

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 236 HP / 228 Atk / 20 Def / 24 Spe
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

You'll no longer have problems with either lead, as Lum Berry allows you to escape sleep/confusion and easily 2HKO. Metagross stacks up well against many of the common leads, with the exceptions of Infernape and Heatran. The advantage here is that since you have Swampert on your team, you can easily switch to it and set up Stealth Rock. Explosion can be used later to get rid of major threats.

If you're planning to play Starmie offensively, use the LO Rapid Spin set:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

This is a huge threat to both stall and offensive teams alike, and retains the useful ability to spin away entry hazards.

Good luck with your team!
I like both of these pokemon, and will immediately try out that Starmie, I just have a few concern's with that particular Metagross. I'd like to know the reasoning behind the EV's as my Metagross is 31/31/29/28/28/20

Firstly, I do love me some honchkrow

Secondly, my guess is that a Gengar can give you a lot of trouble, especially if it's one of the 10.3% running energy ball (bye swampert). Let's run through a few different sets on the site:

Sub+3 attacks:
Metagross and Swampert will not be 2hko'd by shadow ball. Starmie is OHKO'd, Heatran eats 85.4% - 100.9% from focus blast (so, 70% chance that it's hurt on a switch in, or after a sub). Rotom is owned by shadow ball. Honchkrow can be set up on if you think to use sucker punch on it, and focus blast hits it for neutral damage, at 71.8% - 84.8% - probably KOing you if SR is up (hopefully it won't be, but things happen). So, that's not good.

Life Orb Gengar:
Metagross: Shadow ball 2HKO's, but your meteor mash will OHKO. In other words, You win if you don't switch into it (not great)
Swampert: Won't get 2HKO'd, but your ice beam will only fire back for 29.1% - 34.5%, so the best you can do is sacrifice your swampert to weaken it to the point where LO will kill it, hopefully. Not great either.
Starmie: Don't even think about it.
Rotom-C: See Starmie
Heatran: Again, 70% chance on Focus Blast so you might get lucky, otherwise it's next stop: 110.8% - 130.7% for you
Honchkrow: Assuming you play your cards right, you can sucker-punch Gengar's face off. Otherwise, it'll be a thunderbolt to the cloaca.

A scarf gengar can revenge kill Starmie, rotom, and heatran extremely effectively, metagross and swampert less effectively. Having your revenge killer be weak to revenge killing is probably the scariest part, and you've got to pray that he uses focus blast to switch rotom in and go for the kill, but after that happens once, you'll have to rely on prediction, which can be crazy difficult when it comes to scarves.

Subsplit will give you the same problems that sub+3 attacks does except this time is has pain split, which will be annoying to the max. I can say this because Gengar only needs to use 2 attacks on your team to do optimal damage. This is the most important reason that I think it will be able to mess with you.

Honchkrow is still your best bet against Gengar, so it would do you well to scout for Gengar with your phazer. Heatran can switch in on things that aren't focus blast and hit back with fire blast, but I gotta tell you, shoddy stats of July indicate that 75.7% of gengars run focus blast, so you'd be better off not switching it in at all unless you absolutely need to.

To combat Gengar, I would very much suggest running pursuit on Honchkrow like you are thinking about, over Night Slash. You say Night Slash is to hit switch-ins, but Pursuit is to hit switch-outs. Night slash has 70 BP, but Pursuit has 80 BP on fleeing targets, which is basically all you use night slash against anyway. And if you really want to hit the switch-in, you've got Brave Bird at your disposal. Night Slash is even less appropriate given that you're running Insomnia, which doesn't work as well with its increased critical-hit ratio like Super Luck does, so you should really switch night slash for pursuit.

Your team is extremely solid and I hope you grow into it more. Also, if there is anything that is complete BS about my rate, feel free to let me know.

AHH! Don't use yellow font ever! it's impossible to read without highlighting and most people are too lazy to do that these days!

No real changes to be made. Have fun laddering!

Changed all Yellow font to Orange. I'm getting about 75% win rate right now, which is good, considering 3 of those losses I got Haxed out.

It is quite good. But there are problems.

Metagross

People may predict you to your doom. Explosion, if switched in on a Gengar (or others), who is coincidently one of your biggest threats, wastes Metagross.
Bullet Punch is useful for a slow speed, but he doesn't get Techinecian boost like Scizor, which makes it do low damage even after STAB and High Attack Stat. It is useful for finishing of the Focus Sashers, but Metagross can take an Explosion anyway, and I think others are more useful. Also, why Lum Berry? I believe Occa Berry would do good. With Metagross's high defenses, Earthquake is no worry, and Earth Power normally isn't on leads, which makes Metagross highly vurnable to Fire Attacks, especially from Infernape leads. Lum Berry does help against the Spores, but the other status' (Other than Burn and Frost, which both aren't that common) don't do much. Substitute can do quite well, but the Problem is that Metagross is slower than Smeargle. Pursuit is good for catching Azelf and Frosslass leads dead. I suggest:

Switching Lum Berry with Occa Berry
Switching Bullet Punch with Pursuit/Substitute
MAYBE Switching EVs around to go with Speed

Swampert

This guy is good to go. Ice Beam may do Special Damage. That is the only thing you want to switch is Ice Beam with Ice Punch. I've calculated, Ice Punch will do more damage without natures and EVs.

Starmie

Your typical Rapid Spinner. It needs a Recovery Move. My personal opinion is Replacing Thunderbolt not Ice Beam, since you have a powerful Thunderbolt from Rotom already, and Ice Bean doesn't need to be STABed to OHKO Flygon and Dragonite.

Heatran

Change Naive to Timid. Explosion probably OHKO

gtg for now. Will edit to complete later

It is quite good. But there are problems.

Metagross

Also, why Lum Berry? I believe Occa Berry would do good.
I don't think so. It would accomplish very little, as Metagross staying in on a fire attack would be pointless since he has a Heatran to absorb it. Lum berry saves him against reads like Roserade and Smeargle that like to abuse Sleep Powder and set up entry hazards, which are bad news bears for Honchkrow.

I don't think so. It would accomplish very little, as Metagross staying in on a fire attack would be pointless since he has a Heatran to absorb it. Lum berry saves him against reads like Roserade and Smeargle that like to abuse Sleep Powder and set up entry hazards, which are bad news bears for Honchkrow.
I was going to say that, but I do abuse Insomnia to scare the hell out of Brelooms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)