Team It's a Trap!

Theme teams are always fun, whether designed around Trick Room, Explosion, Encore, or any other almost-gimmicky moves. My team doesn't rely on any specific move, but on the abilities of two Pokemon to trap and kill a variety of threats. This team has been used on Shoddy to decent effect. It could be better, which is why I'm asking you to rate it.

OU tier memes suck, but it can't be helped.

--+--

At a Glance:

Closer Up:

The Lead:

Smeargle
Own Tempo @ Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
-Trick
-Spore
-U-turn
-Destiny Bond

The anti-lead Smeargle is essential to the set up of my two trappers. A quick Spore puts things that would normally outspeed Smeargle to sleep, allowing me to get in Dugtrio or Magnezone depending on what the opponent's lead is. I usually try to hang on to my Scarf as long as possible, but I can Trick it away if need be. U-Turn helps me scout, and finally Destiny Bond is for suicidal attack.

Dugtrio
Arena Trap @ Choice Band
40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
-Aerial Ace

The first trapper on my team is the classic CB Dugtrio. When this thing hits the field, something will end up dying. This is a pretty straightforward set-up -- CB EQs etc. are hard to shrug off. Sucker Punch helps with something like an Outraging Salamence or Flygon. Aerial Ace is mostly filler.

Infernape
Blaze @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive nature
-Close Combat
-U-Turn
-Mach Punch
-Overheat

A physically based Mixape. This is my scout. It's fast but hits hard too. U-Turn is what turned me on to this set, allowing me to check my opponent's decisions. Mach Punch is useful priority, letting me revenge kill or pick off weakened foes.

Magnezone
Magnet Pull @ Leftovers
172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest nature
-Substitute
-Magnet Rise
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice

My second trapper is Magnezone, who imo is underutilized. You never see Magnezones any more. Anyway, this is the Steel Killer set. Unlike Dugtrio, who gets in to immdiately do damage, this Magnezone sets up first. It works well in conjunction with Smeargle, who puts things to sleep or immobilizes via Trick. HP Ice is useful to kill off Dragons while behind a Sub for safety.

Dusknoir
Pressure @ Leftovers
252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 Def
Impish nature
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Fire Punch
-Thunderpunch

This is the punching bag of the team. High defenses on both sides of the spectrum allow Dusknoir to take hits from both ends, although this one is more Defense-oriented. Fire Punch takes care of Scizor and Thunderpunch handles Gyarados.

Vaporeon
Water Absorb @ Leftovers
188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe
Bold nature
-Surf
-Wish
-Protect
-Ice Beam

The final member of the team is Wish support. Everyone on this team can afford to recieve some Wishes during the course of a battle, especially Magnezone, who can usually take a hit with its natural bulk and then heal up. Dusknoir covers Gyarados, so Vappy has Ice Beam instead of HP Electric.

--+--

Well, there's the team! It's obviously not perfect, and I have a few concerns: 1) No one sets up Stealth Rock, which could greatly benefit my two trappers, 2) changing out Thunderpunch on Dusknoir for Earthquake to hit Heatran (Gyarados Intimidates Dusknoir, making Thunderpunch only so effective. I can give Vaporeon HP Electric instead), and 3) Dugtrio's moveset and nature (Aerial Ace is really just filler, and I find it disappointing when Duggy misses the OHKO on Tyranitar). What are your opinions?

Thanks a lot guys.

Smeargle: He puts things to sleep and gets rid of scarf... fair enough. But he doesn't do enough here. You should consider giving him Stealth Rock, Spikes or Toxic Spikes. This way, it will make it easier for Dugtrio to score OHKOs once he traps the opponment in.

If you give Smeargle SR or Spikes, then also consider using Roar with Vaporeon. That way you can rack up damage which will make it easier for those KOs you've been looking to get. After all, why trap the opponment if you can't beat him?

One word for Magnezone: Scizor. Without HP fire, you will be unable to KO Scizor (especially without LO), and risk losing him to Scizor's powerful Superpower. Run these moves with Magnezone:

-Substitute
-Thunder Wave/Signal Beam/Explosion
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Thunderbolt

Substitute allows you to attack safely upon the opponment's switches, Thunder Wave/Signal Beam/Explosion depends on whether you prefer crippling the opponment, finishing that annoying Celebi or Exploding on something you just can't seem to kill. Hidden Power Fire Beats Scizor, Foretress, Opposing Magnezones and can 2HKO Metagross without Occa Berry. Most Dragons will stay away from Thunderbolts especially if Magnezone is behind a sub, so (except for flygon) Hidden Power Ice isn't very beneficial, especially if your intentions involve trapping steels.

You may want to consider Life Orb on Magnezone. However, leftovers are fine too.

Dugtrio: Ariel Ace is useful for Heracross. However, to beat pokemon like Gengar that will suspect a Sucker Punch (and will beat it with moves like Hypnosis and Sub) you could use Night Slash. As for OHKOing Tyranitar, consider my above suggestion of giving Smeargle SR/TS/Spikes and using Vaporeon to scare him away, racking up some serious damage.

U-Turn on smeargle? I don't think looking at one or two of the opponments pokemon is worth losing a possible Stealth Rock support all through the match. Especially since U-Turn will do next-to-nothing damage most of the time.

Remember, if your team is based around trapping the opponment, it is necessary to do as much damage as possible beforehand.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Problems:

Synergy / Lack of SR

How to fix:

Trapping teams normally want a good solid U-turner, and I just think Infernape is a bad choice, especially with SR on the field and you dont have recovery move to replenish back your health. My answer to this is the addition of Gliscor for this squad, whom not only adds a good U-turner, it also adds a good all-around check to Lucario:

Gliscor
@ Leftovers
Impish Nature (Def+ / SpA-)
252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe

- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Roost
- Earthquake

Your replacement for Infernape, which is a good all-around addition to the squad. The lack of entry hazards this team has, well Gliscor provides it, U-turn is essential to this team, scouting out for incoming Pokemon and let the trappers do the dirty work. Roost prolongs you life in the entire match while Earthquake. Earthquake KOs Lucario.

As for other options go, consider a third trapper to fullfill the team theme. Go for a Pursuit user such as Weavile, which not only checks Outrage-locked Salamence, but also traps Gengar and such. I would really try Life Orb on Dugtrio to prevent set-up for he next switch in, just a thought. Also you need HP Electric of Vaporeon to check Gyarados, but overall gl on this.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't see several problems on this team but I support the idea of run Gliscor over Infernape. With LO + SR he does not work as a good U-turner, instead, Gliscor does a great job setting SR up, he also checks for Lucario and most importantly: DD Salamence who can otherwise be a huge headache. So use Ice Fang over U-turn because Gliscor would be your main answer against him. Just consider it.

i sugest you change dusknoir for a more special defense set,he already got will oh wisp for physical hits,and vaporeon also take hits farly well,your team lack any kind of high special defense,and when vaporeon is gone,any special atack will kill,you can change dusknoir for a special defense set or change vaporeon for blissey

On my scarf smeargles, I use stealth rock over destiny bond since it helps you out in the long run in every battle instead of sometimes getting rid of a pokemon with destiny bond. A sub charge beam rotom-w can set up quite easily and sweep you (rotom-w in general is a threat). Roar on vappy can prevent pokemon from setting up, and you could also use spiritomb over dusknoir to check ghost and psychic types while still having access to pain split and will-o-wisp. Blissey over vappy can cover rotom (and all special attackers), and you'd still have wish and protect for the rest of your team; the fighting weakness shouldn't be a problem with dusknoir / spiritomb on your team, as well as dugtrio with aerial ace. SD lucario (with crunch) destroys your team if you aren't careful. Again, spiritomb would help with this as lucario would be forced to use crunch (neutral), and spiritomb can burn it back. Franky's gliscor suggestion would help with this too.

Just a few things I noticed. Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)