Team for special OU rules

I recently joined a very active local league after observing their recent tournament to kick off the 5th gen metagame for them. The team I'm using, albeit with some major updates (including a totally new member), has withstood trial by fire before, but I wanted to get it rated here before the season starts.

Here are the special league rules:
-Anything banned on Smogon is banned.
-Legendaries, Salamence, Garchomp, Haxorus, Wobuffet, Wynaut, and Cloyster are all banned.
-Items (not moves or abilities) that provide a higher critical hit or flinching ratio are banned.
-No item may appear twice on the same team

I'll start off with the threatlist, since I went into this knowing the main things I'm up against.
-The most abundant Pokémon in the league is Mienshao; the team has to be able to take them down quickly 100% of the time or I won't get anywhere in the league.
-Gengar also shows up fairly often.
-The league's current champion boasts a powerful Excadrill holding an Air Balloon, and a heretofore unbeaten Cradily. I'm not optimistic about my chances at beating him, but I have to have a team that stands some shadow of a chance.

So here's the team. The earlier ones are less easily replaced.

1. Alakazam
Ability: Inner Focus
Item: Wise Glasses
252 Sp Atk/252 Spd
Nature: +Spd/-Atk
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball

With Alakazam, there's absolutely no better counter to the abundant Mienshao leadoff. Inner Focus prevents Fake Out from working, and the massive speed blocks Mienshao from even getting a U-Turn in. Obviously, the opponent might switch to a Sucker Punch counter, but that's the only major threat; anything incapable of Sucker Punch will probably lose in a speed contest.

2. Porygon2
Ability: Download
Item: Eviolite
252 Def/252 Sp Atk
Nature: +Sp Def/-Atk
-Tri Attack
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Recover

I know this one probably bugs some of you guys, but with the Eviolite and a well-timed switch-in with Download, Porygon2 suddenly has the stats of a Kyurem. Considering that, the nature, and the EV training, this pokemon suddenly has not two, but three massive stats to ride on.

3. Cradily
Ability: Suction Cups
Item: Leftovers
252 Def/252 Sp Def
Nature: Neutral
-Toxic
-Stockpile
-Recover
-Rock Slide

Remember when I said the Champion has an unstoppable Cradily? Well, he happens to know that Cradily is one of my all-time sentimental favorites, and even named his after me. I really don't feel much of a need to defend this guy.

4. Flygon
Ability: Levitate
Item: ?
252 Atk/252 Spd
Nature: +Atk/-Sp Atk
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch
-Dragon Claw
-Stone Edge

Flygon is easily my favorite Pokemon of all time. And since it's one of the few Dragons outside of the NU level allowed in this league, it has major advantages. Not to mention the fact that this particular moveset has fantastic offensive coverage.

5. Volcarona
Ability: Flame Body
Item: ?
128 Def/252 Sp Atk/128 Sp Def
Nature: +Sp Atk/-Spd
-Flamethrower
-Bug Buzz
-Psychic
-Quiver Dance

The obvious disadvantage is that nasty speed-lowering nature, but this particular Volcarona has pulled off a sweep after getting a nice Quiver Dance in there. It also holds up well against the major threats of the league, with Psychic instantly finishing off both Mienshao and Gengar. Flame Body may get in a lucky burn, completely turning the tables in my favor.

6. Drapion
Ability: Sniper
Item: Air Balloon
128 Atk/128 Def/252 Spd
Nature: Neutral
-X-Scissor
-Crunch
-Toxic Spikes
-Cross Poison/Ice Fang/Fire Fang

As you can see, I haven't decided how to cure this poor guy's Four Move Syndrome, but Drapion makes a good leadoff against any team that doesn't start with Mienshao; toxic spikes are incredibly useful and Drapion is difficult to finish with one hit. Black and White also saw to it that the Poison type stays rare in the metagame, so a rapidly spinning Blastoise, Starmie, or Excadrill would be the only threat to a Toxic Spikes setup.

And there you go. Sorry about the lack of those precious visual aids, but my computer's slow enough that getting six pictures would take at least an hour. Anyway, feel free to rate.

*** Before i Begin; im looking at this from an opponents side of a *Stall* team. (stall is my fave style ;) )
***the only two pokes that are fully ev trained are your drapion and your volcorona. might want to add an extra 4 evs for the other pokes.

-for your Flygon, you should give him a choice scarf, giving him blistering speed, albeit only 1 move of choice. useful for a revenge kill. also, you should get rid of either fire punch or stone edge (EQ covers steels well) in place of a U-Turn, allowing for good scout to counters and such.

-For your Porygon-2, replace Psychic for Ice Beam, which, when paired with thunderbolt, provides perfect coverage (only magnezone covers both for NFE) also, get rid of Download on him and use Trace. its always nice to come in on a vaporeons water absorb and suck in their water attacks. also, change out Tri-Attack for Toxic. although its stab, tA just isnt as effective as the bolt-beam counter.

-Change volcoronas nature to Modest, so you dont lose your speed. As for the Item, how bout a Life Orb? this things gonna go down quickly anyway if SR is up (takes 50% from it) so might as well be a suicidal bug.also change the EVs on it to 252 SpA, 252 Speed, 4 hp.

- you have no rapid spinner, which really destroys your volcorona from getting any action. and the rest of your team would hurt as well. i recommend using a personal favorite of mine: Hitmontop. heres the set:

Hitmontop @ expert Belt
Technician
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed.
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Rapid Spin
Mach Punch
Sucker Punch
Close Combat

BulkyTop set. Idk how original it is, but i like it. puts a good hurting on his Cradily too, should it get a CC on it. Expert Belt is item of choice, giving a boost while still giving freedom of choice. Hits those steels hard too. from 96%, an excadril is brought down to around 4% with a mach punch from this guy. Starmie works great as well.

-You have 0 special walls. as well has having no healer / wish maker on your team. So, i recommend a Blissey in place of your Cradily. (p-2 is generally the better wall both physically and specially)
(forgot about item clause, was about to add chansey lol)

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
252 hp, 252 SpD, 4 Def
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
Toxic / Thunder Wave
Heal Bell / Aromatherapy (does the same thing)
Wish
Protect

This pink fluffy monster doesnt deserve to live a natural life. instead, she should be used to soak up all special damage from anyone. takes at most 40% on any special move (in ubers; Aura Sphere from MewTwo 0.0) and retaliates with Love in the form of poison, or troll in the form of Wish + Protect. whichever.But dont let Blissey fall under attack physically, or she pops and no more blissey. replace Cradily with this thing.

-Put Cross Poison On your Drapion, at least its stab. :)

Hope i Helped!

Thanks for your tips. I will definitely teach Flygon U-Turn and will try giving him a Choice Scarf. Those two should make him a much bigger threat. I will also teach Drapion Cross Poison, raise a Blissey (not sure if it can replace Cradily, but I'll give it a shot for sure), and grab a new Volcarona. As for Hitmontop, I'm not sure how I'll get an Adamant Hitmontop (Adamant Tyrogue will probably evolve into Hitmonlee), but if I do get a Rapid Spinner, what would you suggest I leave out of the team?

Changes are in bold.
1. Alakazam
Ability: Magic Guard, unless you reeeeaaally want to block Fake Out...
Item: Focus Sash
252 Sp Atk/252 Spd/ 4 HP
Nature: Timid
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball

With Alakazam, there's absolutely no better counter to the abundant Mienshao leadoff. Inner Focus prevents Fake Out from working, and the massive speed blocks Mienshao from even getting a U-Turn in. Obviously, the opponent might switch to a Sucker Punch counter, but that's the only major threat; anything incapable of Sucker Punch will probably lose in a speed contest.

2. Porygon2
Ability: Trace. Beautiful when you trace something like Multiscale or Prankster.
Item: Eviolite
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Bold
-Discharge / Thunderbolt
-Toxic
-Ice Beam
-Recover

I know this one probably bugs some of you guys, but with the Eviolite and a well-timed switch-in with Download, Porygon2 suddenly has the stats of a Kyurem. Considering that, the nature, and the EV training, this pokemon suddenly has not two, but three massive stats to ride on.

3. Cradily
Ability: Water Absorb
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Relaxed
-Toxic
-Stockpile
-Recover
-Rock Slide

Remember when I said the Champion has an unstoppable Cradily? Well, he happens to know that Cradily is one of my all-time sentimental favorites, and even named his after me. I really don't feel much of a need to defend this guy.

4. Flygon
Ability: Levitate
Item: Choice Scarf
252 Atk/252 Spd / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-U-turn
-Dragon Claw
-Stone Edge

Flygon is easily my favorite Pokemon of all time. And since it's one of the few Dragons outside of the NU level allowed in this league, it has major advantages. Not to mention the fact that this particular moveset has fantastic offensive coverage.

5. Volcarona
Ability: Flame Body
Item: Life Orb
4 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power (Ground)
-Quiver Dance

The obvious disadvantage is that nasty speed-lowering nature, but this particular Volcarona has pulled off a sweep after getting a nice Quiver Dance in there. It also holds up well against the major threats of the league, with Psychic instantly finishing off both Mienshao and Gengar. Flame Body may get in a lucky burn, completely turning the tables in my favor.

6. Drapion
Ability: Battle Armor
252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Def
Nature: Careful
-Earthquake
-Knock Off
-Toxic Spikes
-Whirlwind
There you go. :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)