ORAS OU Team Built Around MegaZard-Y

Introduction
Hey guys! I'm arjsh. I've been playing Pokemon for about ten years. I got into battling with Pokemon Showdown about two years ago, and I must say that I really enjoy it. This is my first Rate My Team.
This team is pretty offensively oriented and includes Mega Charizard Y, Garchomp, Gengar, Conkeldurr, Skarmory, and Wash Rotom. It's done very well in the competitive scene, taking me up the points ladder very fast. The sets that I have on the Pokemon aren't exactly uncommon - in fact, many of them are from Smogon's Strategy Dex, but they still work well.

Team Building Process
Step 1:
I always loved playing with Garchomp in Gen 4 - it seemed so cool to me. Today, I've realized what a great competitive Pokemon it is, with its high attack and good move pool. I decided to combine Garchomp with Mega Charizard Y because Charizard would be able to deal with the ice types that Garchomp is weak against while Garchomp works as a great revenge killer. I chose Charizard Y over Charizard X because Charizard Y is a better wall breaker, and unlike Charizard X, which often needs a Dragon Dance to set up, Charizard Y many times can start sweeping right out of the poke ball. Type and move pool synergies and Garchomp's high attack and Charizard's high special attack add up to what I think is a pretty good offensive core. This is what my start team looked like:

Step 2:
A Pokemon for removing and setting up hazards is an important part of any team. In my case, I sort of went back to basics with Skarmory, whose spikes and stealth rock were vital. Skarmory's defog was important as well to allow Charizard to sweep and wall-break to its full potential by removing stealth rock, which does massive damage to a Fire-Flying type like Charizard. At this point, my team looked like this:

Step 3:
I needed more Pokemon on my team, and the first one that came to mind was Conkeldurr. I had used him a lot in the past and really wanted to include him on this team. He's a great tank, being able to take substantial hits while dishing out damage with a great attack stat. Gengar, on of OU's best special sweepers, complimented Conkeldurr nicely by being able to take on some of Conkeldurr's weaknesses, namely psychic types and fairy types. These two additions left me with one open slot:

Step 4:
For my final slot I wanted a more defensively oriented Pokemon and one that could tie the team together by being able to counter the weaknesses of other Pokemon on the team. In my case, Wash Rotom fit this description. It can take on fire types like Talonflame that could otherwise threaten Skarmory. However, it's real strength is in its pivotability. Volt Switch is a great move for switching and Rotom gets STAB from it as well. Will-O-Wisp is equally important. This move helps set up for my sweepers by crippling the attack stats of physical sweepers that could otherwise pose threats. This was my final team:
Individual Analysis of the Pokemon
In this section, I'll go over individual properties, uses, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
Mega Charizard Y is one of the biggest threats in the OU tier right now. With an EV spread maximized for Speed and Special Attack, this set fits my play style very well because of its high powered, offensive nature. Solar Beam is a great choice against water types and rock types and hits in one turn in sunlight, which is guaranteed because of Charizard's ability, Drought. Fire Blast in sunlight 2HKO or incinerates basically anything that doesn't resist or absorb it. In fact, a neutral fire blast can hit harder than Charizard's other moves super effectively. At first, I had Earthquake on Charizard rather than Focus Blast for extra damage against Heatran, but Focus Blast is really a better option because of the way it can hit Heatran AND Tyranitar. Dragon pulse covers Dragon-types such as Charizard X and Kingdra.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
Outrage is a powerful STAB move that makes use of Garchomp's attack stat (EV's are maximized for speed and attack) to hit Pokemon for a ton of damage. Earthquake is also a STAB move with good coverage and hits rock types that can hit Charizard hard for super effective damage. I usually set up Stealth Rock with Garchomp before I begin attacking for an extra edge. Stone edge can be used for ice types which deal a dangerous 4x damage against Garchomp.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
Conkeldurr is a tank. With high attack and solid HP and Defense, it can take it almost as well as it can dish it out. Drain Punch is a recovery option and was used often. Mach Punch is good for revenge kills and for cleaning up the remains of a team. Ice Punch provides good coverage against Flying-Ground types such as Gliscor and Landorus-T while also keeping Dragon types in check. Poison Jab works well against fairy-types like Azumarill and Clefable.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
A dangerous sweeper that has remained in the OU tier across all generations, the only one to do so. Its resistance to fairy is very important, especially to my team - as important as it's ability to hit fairy-types hard with STAB Sludge Wave. Shadow Ball is a good move for neutral coverage and Thunderbolt hits water types that could hurt Charizard hard. Psychic is a great move that uses Gengar's Special Attack well.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
A classic. Skarmory is the ultimate physical wall, with a stellar 140 base defense. Setting up stealth rock is generally a breeze. Roost is an important move for Skarmory, allowing it to be on its toes when a physical wall or defogger is needed at any point throughout the match. Brave Bird is Skarmory's best way to check Pokemon that are weak to Flying type moves.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 10 Spe
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
Volt Switch is a great move that Rotom has STAB on. Will-O-Wisp absolutely cripples Physical sweepers. Hydro Pump is also a great STAB move, and Pain Split is a great move that functions in absence of a recovery.

I love playing with this team. Criticism welcome!

Hey there, great team! Welcome to Smogon. I do have a few suggestions.

First, although Gengar is great, you could try replacing it with Serperior. The reason behind this is that it gives your team an easy set up sweeper to use and a wincon. Yes, you have garchomp but unfortunately it no longer has a good speed tier to be a wincon, imo. You also get a FWG core with Serp combined with ZardY and Rotom. Here's the set:

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain

You can play around with this and give Serperior either Assault Vest or Leftovers. Also, you can change hp fire to ground to catch heatran off guard. Taunt can be used over Giga Drain to further its wall breaking capability. You could even try glare over giga drain, that's what I use with leftovers. It's great if you predict a tornadus or talonflame switch in.

For Garchomp, I'd recommend a choice scarf. Due to the rise in the tankchomp set, this can catch people by surprise. It also gives you a great way of countering mega manectric and lopunny. This will act as an even better revenge killer now. For Stealth Rock, you could just replace spikes on Skarmory. Here's the set:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge/ Fire Blast/ Poison Jab/ Iron Head
- Dragon Claw/ Fire Blast

Lastly, if you still want to use Gengar, replace thunderbolt with focus blast and psychic with either substitute/ taunt/ will-o-wisp/ dazzling gleam. If you do go for will-o-wisp then you can replace shadow ball with hex and give Gengar black sludge. Hope I could help :)

Hi!

Welcome to the forums!

You have a pretty classic Balanced team quite popular from the XY days and it definitely works out very well. Right off the bat, you have very good team synergy defensively, though I do see some holes offensively that you could work on. As well as some potential switches.

First of all for Mega Zard Y, I would suggest running Roost > Focus Blast. Focus Blast is an easy-to-miss move and also Zard Y doesn't have to risk staying in against opposing Heatrans or Tyranitars. Your team members can take care of that. The reason I suggest Roost is because hazards and chip damage can never be fully avoided. You want your Zard Y to stay at good health, especially against those pesky Stealth Rocks.

Next for Garchomp, as Afro14ajaja stated, he's just not in a really good speed tier anymore. I would actually suggest either what he had suggested with Choice Scarf or maybe Tank Chomp since it'd be nice to have Garchomp around for long enough to stop Electric Type attacks.
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast/Toxic/Endure

This also gives you a phazing move for getting rid of set-up sweepers. Toxic could also be used, but your team really doesn't need it. Endure is there for extra Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet damage

For Conkeldurr, I would just add Knock Off as an option over Poison Jab. Knock Off is probably one of the best moves in the metagame right now. It also gives Conk a reliable answer to predicted Psychic Type switch-ins rather than switching.

For the Gengar set, I think Afro14ajaja's suggestion of replacing it with Serperior is really good. Zard Y, Serperior and Rotom-W make a really solid Balanced core.

Skarmory and Rotom-W are fine, nothing much to say there.

Good Luck!

Yo. Not bad team. My rate is likely not going to be all that thorough since I'm kind of out of the loop about what's in in the meta right now, besides Mega Alt, but I'll give it a shot.
Firstly, I'm not sure Skarm's role really works in this scenario, running a Defogger seems somewhat counter-intuitive to the purpose of hazard stacking since you just clear up all the hazards you've stacked and it's an effort wasted. I also think it's a bit too passive for this team, even though you have Rotom, that thing is a damn good pivot and can help to keep up the momentum of your team but Skarm seems like dead weight barring Defog support for Zard. My recommendation is to drop the hazard stacking element of your team and just run a good Defogger. I'd say Latias is a good fit, decent bulk, Defog utility, and offers Psychic coverage which is helpful for you since you seem to lack any direct answers to Fighting threats like Conk or Keldeo.
Birdspam isn't very kind to you either, with an SpD Rotom a +2 Talon can 2HKO you and do quite a number to your team as a whole. As such, I'd recommend running either defensive lead comp or Lando-T as opposed to your offensive lead right now. These two pressure birdspam much more and Lando makes a good Volt-Turn core with Rotom as well and them form a great defensive pair together, Lando-T is also a good counter to Exca who could sting your team a little so he's my overall recommendation.
Stall also seems like a bit of a bugbear for this lot too, that and I'm not all that keen on your Gengar set, it seems more like coverage patch-in above anything else. I'd advise replacing Psychic and T-Bolt with Focus Blast and Taunt. Focus Blast is great to catch Bish and T-Tar on the switch-in while Taunt is great to help against stall by allowing you to force switches or preventing an annoying wall from recovery/status spamming all over the place and giving you a bit more breathing room when wearing them down which could help a lot.
Lastly, 44 speed on Rotom can help outspeed max speed Azu if people still follow that spread, and setting your SpAttackers' Atk IVs to 0 helps minimise potential confusion and/or Foul Play damage so those might be tweaks to add.
Hope this helped. :]

Not Latios (Latias) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost / Healing Wish
- Defog

Sharkeisha (Garchomp) F @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Doge (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hello arjsh ! Solid looking team, and onto the rate!

I really think Zard Y should run roost, as it gains the extra recovery. It could be useful in case you switch into stealth rocks or anything of that sort.

Here I think the team would benefit more from Tyranitar. It can provide stealth rocks (if you do want those) or be a reliable Pursuit trapper. It really helps out vs. the Lati twins which can check Zard Y. It also brings a dual weather core to the table!

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch / Ice Punch

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Crunch

I think the moveset here could use some tweaking. The set I'm providing has options to make it a stall breaker or even a way to catch Garchomp's and Landorus-T's off guard. Also Focus Blast helps vs. Bisharps switching in, or Tyranitar's, etc.
Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt / Icy Wind / Substitute

Here I think you should have the SpDef set for Skarmory. It gives you a better way of dealing with fairies, as your only true way is Gengar.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind / Taunt

Rotom-Wash is a great pick here, in my opinion. However I think you should change these EVs up to this: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spe.
Why: 44 Speed EVs can put into Speed to outrun Jolly Azumarill so Rotom-W will be able to burn it after a Belly Drum.

Hello, this section of my RMT is here because I do not want to make too many changes. here are some options you may want to consider. Of course, I have some threats to your team as well. These are threats I noticed right off the bat, and I have provided some tips you may find helpful when dealing with these threats. The potential additions have an explanation of what Pokemon it should be used over, why and a moveset(s). Feel free to consider these ideas if you feel the need to at some point!

Scizor could be used over your Skarmory, being able to use U-Turn (and form a VoltTurn core), has defog and brings a more offensive presence. Here is a moveset option that carries Defog.

Scizor @ Scizorite
/ Leftovers

Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Alakazam could be used over Gengar, as it provides speed and power. It is also a good special attacker and has good offensive synergy with Tyranitar. Here is an example moveset:

Alakazam @ Life Orb

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice / Encore

This thing is a big threat to the team, having some sort of coverage to beat one of your mons. That is if you decide to keep Garchomp, otherwise Tyranitar can deal with it. Keep TTar healthy and try to send it in at the right moment.
Pretty big threat, being able to OHKO / 2HKO nearly everything on your team. Keep Rotom-W healthy and attempt to burn it before sending it; say Charizard Y. If you do end up selecting Scizor over Skarmory, just switch it in safely and Bullet Punch.

That is all I have! Good team and good luck! :]

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Sorry I couldn't finish rate sooner, but its better late than never.
Mega Charziard Y should have Roost over Dragon Pulse, Roost lets it recover its HP from damage it has taken, such as Stealth Rock recoil. Dragon Pulse sucks on Zard Y as its not fast enough to hit the Lati's and you will be using its other moves more than it.
<
Serperior imo would be a better fit over Gengar as it makes a F/W/G Core with Zard Y and Rotom-W. Serperior still gives you a Special Attacker, but can potentially sweep with its Contrary, Leaf Storm. I'm giving Serperior HP Ground as it lures in Heatran as most expect a HP Fire, and a +2 Sp Atk boost HP Ground is a guaranteed OHKO to Sp Def Tran. Glare on Serperior allows it to lure Tornadus-Therian, Crippling it so the other mons on the team can outspeed.
I think Rotom-W is a fine pick for your team, but I would use this EV spread. 248 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spe The 44 Speed allows it to outspeed Jolly Azumarill making sure to get a Will-O-Wisp/Volt Switch.
<
+
<
I might be braking the rule of only changing 2 mons on a rate, but I have to suggest this. I'm going to extend Exodus Latios idea of T-Tar instead of Garchomp. Tyranitar could work well with your team as it can Pursuit Trap Latios and Latias which seem like a threat/pain to deal with. Tyranitar can still be a Stealth Rock user as a replacment for Garchomp. I don't find Skarmory of much use for your team, so I'm replacing it with Sand Rush Excadrill. Excadrill still works as a Rapid Spinner helping Charizard come in safely, and can use Iron Head to get rid of Fairies such as Clefable, since Gengar is gone.Excadrill gives you a Fast Sweeper in the Sand and can help Zard Y clean the battle. I hoped I helped, have a nice day ^_^

Serperior @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Glare

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Crunch

Excadrill @ Life Orb/Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin/Swords Dance

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)