ORAS Ubers Team based around Zekzek ! (2nd attempt) (Currently peaked #75) Please Rate or Comment !

Hello guys, I'm new on Smogon and am pleased to show you my new Ubers team (it is my first RMT).
I'll make a lot of english mistakes because I am French :/
Teambuilding:

So I decided to base my team around Zekrom, who is my favourite Ubers pokemon.

Then I needed a rocks setter so I decided to play Groudon-Primal, a mon that is a must in Ubers. I also use it to phaze out setup sweepers like E-Killer and Xerneas.

I needed an immunity to ground and a Defogger as well as a check to Groudon-Primal so I chose Latios SD (I prefer to use it over Latias SD because Latias cannot OHKO PDon).

Now I wanted an other check to GeoXern because Groudon often dies at the beginning/mid-game of the battle. I also needed a Pursuit user to kill Defoggers such as Lati@s and Giratina-O. I chose banded Scizor first but I didn't have a Mega Poke and I needed more bulk so I finally chose to play Mega-Scizor.

I had a lot of problems to deal with Kyogre (especially if Groudon is dead) because Zekrom isn't bulky enough to switch on it. Latios can switch in but it takes 55%-65% from Ice Beam and Water Spout.
So that's why I chose to use Arceus-Water who does also check PrimalDon.

I had sometimes problems to deal with Mega-Mence and some others setup sweepers so I chose Ditto.

But it didn't work enough and I chose Klefki instead of Ditto for is ability to check Yvel and Darkrai, Prankster and it is also an other check to GeoXern (in case of HP Fire) and also to Paralyze or Toxic E-Killer.

At this moment, I posted the team on Smogon's forums and Lemonade. told me to try to play defensive Refresh Mega-Salamece to counter some mons I had problems to deal with (Ferrothorn, Ho-Oh, Primal-Groudon ...)
And I liked it so much.

Then I talked about my Arceus with Plulax and we found Waterceus a bit useless as I already have 2 checks to P-Kyogre (Latios and PDon). So I finally chose to play Ghostceus instead.

So this is the team.

Team Details:

Zekrom:

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Volt Switch / Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk

As you know it is the centerpiece of the team.
Classic EV spread to maximize Attack and Speed and 4 Evs SpA for Volt Switch.
Bolt Strike is his main STAB OHKOing/2HKOing most of the Offensive Mons of the Ubers Tier.
Dragon Claw is used instead of Outrage to don't be locked on a Dragon move (a lot of teams are using PDon + Xern) but you can use Outrage (useful to finish teams without chance of missing).
Volt Switch to finish weakened threats and to gain momentum but in the Ubers metagame (PDon everywhere and Groundceus very used)but you can use Draco Meteor instead to hit PDon harder (that's what I'll do because I only used Volt Switch twice).
Sleep talk is obvious to deal with darkrai as I don't have a ResTalk user.
This is Classic.

Some Calcs :

252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 386-456 (84.8 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (OHKO with SR)

252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs.(Multiscale) 248 HP / 252+ Def Lugia: 312-368 (75.1 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (OHKO with SR)

252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza: 350-414 (99.7 - 117.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza: 283-334 (80.6 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 262-309 (62.5 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (for Revenge Killing when it is paralyzed).

252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 283-334 (100.3 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Teravolt Zekrom Draco Meteor vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 180-213 (48.2 - 57.1%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO

4 SpA Teravolt Zekrom Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 204+ SpD Groudon: 133-157 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

(Between 10% and 20% stronger than Dragon Claw)

Groudon-Primal:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 156 SpD / 104 Def
Sassy Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Groudon-Primal is a must in Ubers, as a Rocks setter or as a scary offensive threat.
Mine is full HP, 104 Evs goes in Defense to always survive Precipice Blades from every kind of PDon.
The rest goes in SpD to counter Kyogre (if under Sun), Xerneas and others.
I play it with Stealth Rock (a must for every strategic team), with Roar to phaze (useful for setup sweepers and if the opponent has a Ho-oh who is a threat for (i think) every teams).
Then we have the new move of Groudon (Precipice Blades) who OHKOs Dialga, Heatran, Blaziken, M-Gengar, M-Lucario, Zekrom ... even without attack investment.
I chose Lava Plume instead of Rock Slide or Dragon Claw because my team as problems to deal with Ferrothorn.

Latios:

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Here is my Defogger, Latios.
Soul Dew is obvious, raising Latios's SpA and SpD by 50%.
Draco Meteor is really strong as you are gonna see with the calcs and it's his strongest STAB.
Psyshock is classic and very strong (calcs). Useful if you don't want your SpA to be dropped.
Defog is necessary for every team, one of the reasons why I use Latios.
Roost is necessary to recover health.

Calcs:

+1 252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 348-409 (93.2 - 109.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 214-253 (62.5 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 357-420 (54.7 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 198-234 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

OHKOing every Dragons with Draco...

Salamence-Mega:

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration
- Dragon Dance
- Refresh
- Roost

So, it's my new Mega, very used in Ubers, but not this set.
I explain :
88 Spe allows me to outspeed Modest Kyogre, Rock Polish PDon before it sets up, LO Xern (Rash/Mild), LO Yveltal (Rash/Mild), and everything (but not every scarf and Deoxys-S) after a DD.
I maximize HP for bulk, and put the rest in Def to better counter P-Groudon and Ho-Oh.
Impish for obvious reasons.
Frustration instead of Return in case of Ditto, and instead of Double-Edge because it is a semi-staller that don't want to lose HP when hitting opponents.
Dragon Dance is obvious, raising Spe and Atk by 1 stage, and allowing me to sweep weakened teams after one or two DD.
Roost for recovery.
And the last move, mainly to counter defensive PDon (with T-Wave) and it allows me to take Sacred Fire from Ho-Oh, REFRESH.

Some Calcs:

+1 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Mega-Salamence: 154-183 (39.1 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Groudon Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Mega-Salamence: 158-186 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Groudon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Salamence: 194-230 (49.3 - 58.5%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Salamence: 205-243 (52.1 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Frustration does 52-61%).

252+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Sacred Fire vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Salamence: 85-101 (21.6 - 25.6%) -- 1.1% chance to 4HKO

8 Atk Klefki Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Salamence: 104-126 (26.4 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+1 0 Atk Aerilate Salamence Frustration vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Klefki: 159-187 (50.1 - 58.9%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It is really recommended, if you know your opponent has an E-Killer, to keep Intimidate and don't Mega Evolve too early.

Arceus-Ghost:

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Classic EVs and Nature for a CM Arceus.
The biggest weakness to this set is Darkceus of course.
It is able to counter every kinds of E-Killer and Mega-Kangaskhan without Crunch.
It is always good to cripple physical opponents with Will-O, CM to increase SpA and SpD and after one or two ones it is really unstoppable (forgetting Darkrai).
Judgment to deal massive damages even without CM.
Recover for Staying Power.

Klefki:

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Play Rough
- Spikes

The last Pokemon is the classic Klefki.
I maximize HP/SpD for Xerneas (once more) Mewtow, Palkia...
8 Atk allows Klefki to break the sub of SubGeoXern.
Thunder Wave is obvious, stopping GeoXern, DD M-Mence, etc.
Toxic to stop stallers.
Play Rough in case of Taunt from Yveltal and to deal little damages to everything.(OHKOs Deoxys-A)
Spikes is an Entry Hazard dealing damages to opposing non flying/levitating mons when they switch in.

This was the team.

(Scizor-Mega:

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Toxic
- Pursuit
- Roost

Here is my Mega !
It is my main counter to Xerneas, Lati@s, and Giratina-O. Also checks E-Killer.
96+ Attack allows Scizor to 2HKO classic GeoXern with Bullet Punch.
248 HP is a good number for Entry Hazards and is important to maximize bulk.
The rest is for SpD to better counter Xern.
Bullet Punch is obvious, Toxic is to status PDon and sometimes Lugia and Kyogre.
Pursuit is for trapping Lati@s and Giratina-O (without Will-O).
Roost for recovery.)

Arceus-Water:

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Ice Beam / Grass Knot / Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

So here is my main counter to Kyogre.
The classic EV spread:
96+ Spe allows me to be faster than every 100 BS Speed because I don't need to outspeed Lati@s.
I maximize HP for bulk.
The rest in SpD to take less damages from Kyogre's moves.
Judgment is classic to deal massive damages to a lot of mons event without SpA investment.
Toxic is important to deal damages, turn by turn, to opposing Primal-Groudon/Kyogre.
Thats why I don't use T-Wave or Will-O instead.
Recover is obvious.
In the last slot I can play Ice Beam (OHKO Rayquaza and M-Mence, threaten every dragons, etc.)
Grass Knot is powerfuler vs Kyogre and a bit powerfuler vs P-Don but I don't play it ...
And Will-O-Wisp for physical setup sweepers and to touch Ferrothorn, I recommend that.

Threat List:

Double Dance PDon: Intimidate isn't enough to stop it sweeping and Frustration does only 40%. I have to sack 2/3 mons to toxic it and kill it because i don't have any priority.

Arceus-Ground: CM with Ice Beam is horrible to check. After 1 or 2 CM Latios cannot come in.

Arceus-Dark: CM with Refresh is like... unstoppable.

Primal-Kyogre: If anticipate that I have an Arceus-Water I take a lot from Thunder.

Rayquaza: I have to paralyze it if I want to deal with it.

GeoXern: Often have to sack Klefki to T-Wave it and Play Rough (8 Atk Klefki Play Rough vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Fairy Aura Xerneas: 109-130 (26 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO)

Aromatherapy is also a big problem.

Importable:

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Claw
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration
- Dragon Dance
- Refresh
- Roost

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 156 SpD / 104 Def
Sassy Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Play Rough
- Spikes

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Thanks for reading everybody !

If you think there is something important to change tell me and I'll change it.

Please leave a comment and/or a rate :)

Why I love Zekrom:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-198266519

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, Zekrom is hard to build around IMO but it can still work. The issue I see with your team is you only have one reliable Pokemon for Primal Groudon, while Zekrom, Scizor, Arceus Water, and Klefki all give it a free switch (Toxic wears it down but does not prevent immediate Precipice Blades / EQ damage). You also have three Xerneas checks, which IMO is not necessary since Klefki is very reliable already.

One possibility is to swap out Scizor for Mega Salamence. Mence with Intimidate is quite bulky, and can beat Pokemon like Primal Groudon and EKiller 1v1. Both max Attack max Speed Jolly or a bulky spread of 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe Impish and Refresh over Earthquake could work. I would lean toward the bulky spread, since I am removing your other check with this change. Also keep in mind that 2 0 Atk Returns also KO Jolly EKiller after one round of LO recoil. Mence also doesn't mind the burn from Ho-Oh because of Refresh, adding another solid check. I don't think adding another Dragon is that bad because PDon and Klefki both handle fairies, Arceus Water and Klefki deal with Ice-type Attacks (relatively rare anyway), and Klefki is immune to Dragon (and resists Psyshock, probably the most common Dragon secondary coverage atm).

First of all, thank you for leaving a comment.

Playing M-Mence with Refresh could be a fantastic idea.
Please tell me what are the 124 Speed EVs for. Because I wanna avoid that with adding bulk if possible:

+1 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Salamence: 159-187 (40.4 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I don't know if it is possible to avoid the 2HKO from it cause I do between 38-52% to it(depends on the EVs spread). So I need to don't be 2HKOd to really counter it.

But if I play it, I lose a reliable priority move. It is a thing I'm thinking about as it is my only priority. Oh, and Pursuit is very useful because right now I'll have problems to deal with the Lati@s and Gira-O (It is important to keep Klefki alive with a lot of HP).

But I think you are right and I will try that tomorrow.

I wanna know if putting Defog on Waterceus (instead of Ice Beam) and playing Yveltal instead of Latios could be a good idea:

This set:

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 16 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Rash Nature

- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt / Foul Play

Like that I have a priority and something to counter Lati@s and Giratina-O and I can deal with P-Don too.

Thanks

Some Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-198541119
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-198541119

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-198543129

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
124 Spe makes you faster than Jolly / Timid Base 90s. Also I forgot this yesterday but it's generally nice to run 56 Defense on PGroudon to always like +2 LO Earthquake from Arceus.

With regard to more bulk, I don't think it's necessary. Adamant Silk Scarf is significantly weaker with regards to coverage, meaning Groudon can even switch in to Stealth Rock and still not fall to +2 EQ. Also the 2HKO is with Stealth Rock, but Latios is a good Defog user. It won't work 100% of the time, but I wouldn't be too worried as long as you don't let Arceus set up for free.

Pursuit is nice for Latis, but I don't think it would be doing very much against Giratina-O. Yveltal could be pretty cool, but it is a less reliable switch in to Primal Groudon since it's weak to Stone Edge and doesn't resist Fire. Another possibility is instead of Mence running physically defensive Yveltal with Sucker Punch, as Foul Play checks EKiller reliably and Defensive is a better switch in to Groudon.

Thank you for the suggestions, I tried today to run "defensive" M-Mence and it worked quite well so I'll continue to use it with your spread or this one : 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe, that allows me to outspeed 252 Base 99 because I won't stay if Kyogre switches in and Groudon isn't played 252+ Speed and it allows me to outspeed LO Yveltal and LO Xern before DD.

Thank you once more and
Happy new year Lemonade. !

New Importable Available

The team works very well, 3 of my 6 loses (for 28 victories :]) were because of massive haxx, but it is part of the game.

I changed Volt Switch on Zekrom for explained reasons.

What do you think about the new team ?

Last edited:
I feel like Arceus Water doesn't really fit; your Primal Groudon and Latios work just fine for Primal Kyogre. The thing about Zekrom is that, like you mentioned Primal Groudon is on every single team. While Draco Meteor can be handy, Volt Switch is really necessary for Zekrom to keep momentum.
I really want to recommend Landorus-T over your Primal Groudon. It's a very good Primal Groudon check and Stealth Rock setter, plus it works awesomely with Klefki and Zekrom. The only thing is that you would have two Pokemon 4X weak to Ice Beam, so I'm not sure.
I might also test Extreme Killer over Arc Water, as it would help clean up after a Salamance sweep.

Thank you Plulax for leaving this comment.

I really prefer using Draco over Volt Switch because this attack is just a free switch in for opposing PDon and then it sets up.

First the problem if I use Lando-T is that it takes a looooot from Lava Plume. The second problem is that i'll have 2 x4 weakness to Ice.
The third problem will be PKyogre.

I also don't really like playing Arceus-Water currently but it will be necessary if I play Lando-T to have a second resist to ice.
I also need it for Will-O-Wisp.

So if I keep PDon like that (I'll try Lando-T before) I believe I'll change Arceus-Water for SD Ghostceus:

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Force
- Extreme Speed
- Will-O-Wisp

I like to play it like that as it counters EKiller and is able to finish the game with Shadow Force and ESpeed (for faster threats like MMY and Darkrai).

Last edited:
I finally chose CM Ghostceus as it has much more Staying Power than the SD one.
So after all of those changes, the new description is available. At the same time is the New Importable Available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)