Tanks for Tots

So, I've really been wanting to make a team of some of my favorite pokemon that really aren't the MOST common. I know there might be some better pokes to fulfill these roles, but I really like everyone I chose. Comments regarding move sets (especially Umbreon), ev spreads, or natures would be really helpful. If you want to comment suggesting the use of a different pokemon, I won't get mad. Heck, I'll possibly go ahead and breed it, but I do like everyone I chose for this team. Thanks for your time!

upload_2014-2-22_0-54-48.png

Machamp

Tank Assault Vest
move 1: Dynamic Punch
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Stone Edge
ability: No Guard
item: Assault Vest
evs: 152 hp / 252 atk / 104 Def
nature: Adamant​

Machamp is, essentially, the reason why this team was created. Considering his crazy attack (130), his niche ability in No Guard, his heavy hitting, never missing moves (yes, even Stone Edge), and decent natural bulk, Machamp is an underused force to be reckoned with. Throw an Assault Vest on the monster, and he becomes a tank that will NEVER be one hit killed by any un-boosted opponent. Dynamic Punch is chosen for a great, powerful STAB move and definite confusion. Knock of is extremely useful because of its ability to rid the opponent of the probable valuable item; plus it adds to coverage. Ice punch is here for pesky dragons such as Dragonite. Finally, Stone Edge will never miss, so it almost needs to be used at this point. With Assault Vest, Machamp’s defenses both physical and special will allow him to live long and prosper.

upload_2014-2-22_0-54-59.png

Slowking

Special Wall
move 1: Scald
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Slack Off
move 4: Psychic
ability: Regenerator
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 Hp / 4 Def/ 252 SpD
nature: Calm
Slowking makes for a perfect partner for Machamp. Any threatening Psychic, Fairy, or (though not TOO helpful) Flying attacks. Likewise, any Dark, Grass, or Bug attacks can be eaten by Machamp when Slowking needs to make a retreat; which definitely is not a problem because of his amazing ability in regenerator. He will be able to wall most special attackers, bar boosted or extremely powerful super effective attacks. He has his weaknesses, but just look at him. He’s the definition of boss. His first move slot belongs to scald, giving him the potential to burn powerful threats and give him a decent STAB move. Thunder Wave is there to aide Machamp (and anyone else) in out-speeding the opposition. Slack Off is there for recovery when it needs to rest up. Finally, Psychic is there for a powerful attack. Leftovers will further ensure his longevity. Its going to take a lot to dethrone this king.

upload_2014-2-22_0-55-10.png

Aggron

Physical Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Earthquake
ability: Sturdy
item: Aggronite
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
nature: Relaxed​

Before anything needs to be said, just look at how massive this thing is. I honestly do not know how he’s going to fit on the screen, but what I do know is that he can pretty much take any one hit in the metagame. With his massive base defense stat of 230, Mega Aggron is the steel Godzilla of Pokemon. Sponging physical attackers that Machamp and Slowking don’t care to deal with, he is a viable switch in who walls Fairies all day as well as a total of nine other types. Stealth Rock is there to set up support for the rest of the game. Iron Head is there for a decent STAB move (nobody really wants to get hit in the face with iron spikes protruding from this thing’s head). Thunder Wave is there to cripple fast sweepers (much like it is for Slowking, but for those physical nuts). Earthquake is there simply because I think it can be assumed that, when this thing takes a step, an earthquake ensues. Really though, Earthquake is there to take care of those pesky fire types that could threaten Mega Godzilla. There really needs to be almost no investment in Defense, as Aggron already is incredibly defensive; therefore the majority of the ev’s are put in Special Defense and HP.

upload_2014-2-22_0-55-24.png

Umbreon

name: Cleric
move 1: Wish
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Heal Bell
move 4: Baton Pass
ability: Synchronize
item: Rocky Helmet
evs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
nature: Impish​

A lot of people probably looked at this Umbreon and probably think I’m an idiot. That might be true, but this Umbreon is not the reason. He is literally here specifically to heal both Aggron and Machamp who have no means of actually healing up themselves. Also, if either receives a crippling burn (which literally cripples them), Umbreon is here to save the day. Also, Dragonite (to be mentioned) will really appreciate the Wish heal if he finds himself with a broken Multiscale. Therefore, both Wish and Heal Bell are there in order to aide teammates. Toxic is there for some sort of damage (especially for those pesky walls who really don’t care for paralysis). Finally, baton pass is there to utilize wish and give some good momentum to whoever needs to switch in. Rocky Helmet is there to further deal damage.

upload_2014-2-22_0-55-33.png

Hydreigon

Scarfed Menace
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Fire Blast
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Speed
nature: Timid​

Somehow finding itself lost in the new generation, this three headed terror will find itself in the sweeping spotlight as a revenge killer. With the scarf, my Hydreigon will be able to out speed virtually anything not boosted and scarfed otherwise (and even then, it would be a close battle). Draco Meteor, though with its drawbacks, will be able to OHKO that pesky physical tank or swords dance boosted sweeper. U-turn is here only to remove Hydreigon from a sticky situation. Dark Pulse is here for those flinches and just another stab option with better than average coverage. Finally, Fire Blast destroys many possible threats to my team.

upload_2014-2-22_0-55-42.png

Dragonite

move 1: Extreme Speed
move 2: Dragon Dance
move 3: Earth Quake
move 4: Outrage
ability: Multi Scale
item: Weakness Policy
evs: 4 HP/ 252 atk/ 252 Speed
nature: Adamant​

Not only is Dragonite my favorite pokemon of all time, he’s a beast this generation. With his amazing ability in multi-scale, Derpnite will be able to survive virtually any one hit while being able to set up the Dragon Dance. That, coupled with weakness policy (Dragonite likes to draw in ice type moves) turns him into an almost unstoppable sweeper. Extreme Speed is there for the priority (right now the only priority on the team as I am still figuring out whether or not I should put Bullet Punch on Machamp). With a +3 Adamant Dragonite, Extreme Speed will find itself killing everything in its path that isn’t a Ferrothorn or the like. Earth Quake is there for its awesome power and great coverage. Outrage is there when I want to make my opponent cry (think punching a baby in the face, but the baby was literally just drawn from the womb and Godzilla decided to throw his fist at it).

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello, I would like to suggest a couple things which could improve your team. In particular Umbreon and Dragonite. Because you have two dark types I recommend Switching umbreon for Sylveon:

move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Moon Blast/Hyper Voice
move 4: Shadow Ball / Toxic / Heal Bell
ability: Cute Charm/Pixilate(if using hyper voice)
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

If you wish to keep Umbreon I noticed you have baton pass on him which does not really help aside from the wish momentum you specified, so at minimum replace that with foul play.
Secondly, Dragonite relies on its multiscale to get weakness policies buff effectively, However stealth rocks would ruin that chance and you have no removal on your team and wish can be very situational. For that reason I recommend you switch a pokemon so that you have Rapid Spin/Defog available otherwise Dragonite will be rather disappointing for games where there are stealth rocks. Finally I think you should look into a better set for Aggron or switch thunder wave at least as there are much better moves available for him. You can check here for alternate sets: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/aggron.3490183/.
Hope this helps, and these are only suggestions so feel free to stick with what you have.

Thanks for the input! Honestly, I think you hit the nail on the head with each suggestion. I'm most likely (still not sure just because I LOVE Umbreon) going to make the switch for Sylveon, as it further helps cover my weaknesses. I'm also probably going to switch out Hydreigon for Starmie in order to preserve having a special attacker (with really good speed [pardon my horrible diction]) in order to have a rapid spinner. Finally, for Aggron, I was already thinking about slapping on dragon tail in order to phaze out setup sweepers. Again, thanks for the suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)