Tangrowth

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I ran a quick test of your Tangrowth. I learned two things:

-I am terrible at non-CAP bulky offense and should stick to general offense.
-Tangrowth really is an incredible wall. It takes all sorts of physical attacks and cripples stall with Sleep Powder + Knock Off.

So yeah, I'm going to have to hand it to Tangrowth. Definitely something to watch out for.

Yeah I used Tangrowth a lot when Excadrill was around, but I sorta forgot about it after that. I'm glad to see that Tangrowth is still around kicking ass, especially volt-turn :')

tangrowth is *the* physically defensive pivot and has a multitude of options to cripple whatever the opponent sends in. my in game tangrowth runs power whip/eq/leech seed/sleep powder (because i dont have the patience for a good hp). but obvs in the leech seed spot you can place knock off or stun spore or protect (for choice users like rotom w). problem is is that is its only role really as a defensive pokemon since his counters are aplenty but tangrowth is the best i nthe game at pulling it off. and i really like it.

do you guys prefer physical moves or special moves for wall tangrowth.

i usuall go gigadrain/hp coverage since recovery is nice and hp coverage is a godsend against steels and dragons

i usuall go gigadrain/hp coverage since recovery is nice and hp coverage is a godsend against steels and dragons
I also used Giga Drain and HP Ice, along with Leech Seed and Sleep Powder. People say how Giga Drain doesn't heal enough, but with Leech Seed and Regenerator, it adds up. Plus, accuracy is perfect, unlike Power Whip.

I ran Tangrowth on a stall team with Slowbro and Skarmory for Physical walls, and there is not a single straight physical attacker that could break that core. I could often just PP stall the opponent by switching back and forth between the regenerator duo. I might replace Skarm with Ferrothorn for more of a mixed wall, then keep Blissey and Tyranitar for Special Walling and sandstorm. Anyways I'm rambling, but Tangrowth is probably my favorite pokemon to use in OU that isn't OU. Its soooo bulky and its typing, while it has flaws, is pretty desirable for walling non-scizor threats.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Special moves for sure. By going special you avoid getting screwed by burns and intimidate,you make use of Tangrowth's best offensive stat, while also gaining some healing, that albeit weak adds up with Lefties and Regenerator. Finally if you were to use a physical Tangrowth, you would either need to use a SpD or a Spe lowering nature, and both ar very bad, since you need your speed to outspeed Scizor and you need your SpA to use Hidden Power.

Also an amazing partner for Tangrowth is Slowking. Yeah you heard well the SlowKing. Slowking covers many threats that Tangrowth can't, like Heatran, SpecsToed, Lati@s, Hydreigon, Special Dragonite, Infernape, Conkeldurr, Expert Belt/Specs Rotom-W, mixMence, Starmie, Reuniclus, Espeon and Alakazam. While he doesn't counter all of them, he checks them pretty good in combination with Tangrowth. For example if mixMence comes in against Tangrowth, you can easily send in Slokwing. Best case scenario, King takes the DM like a champ and procceeds to spread status or attack. Worst case scenario, he takes the Outrage, which he can, and then you bring in Tangrowth, getting healed in the proccess, and you shrug off the next one easily.

Also, while both seems weak against Volt-Turn teams, the truth is that Tangrowth has them covered. He outspeeds and kos Band Scizor, and is not afraid of Rotom-W, Landorus or Celebi. Finally Slowking can spread burns to make Tangrowth job easier and can phaze anything that tries to set-up on Tangrowth with Dragon Tail.

Special moves for sure. By going special you avoid getting screwed by burns and intimidate,you make use of Tangrowth's best offensive stat, while also gaining some healing, that albeit weak adds up with Lefties and Regenerator. Finally if you were to use a physical Tangrowth, you would either need to use a SpD or a Spe lowering nature, and both ar very bad, since you need your speed to outspeed Scizor and you need your SpA to use Hidden Power.

Also an amazing partner for Tangrowth is Slowking. Yeah you heard well the SlowKing. Slowking covers many threats that Tangrowth can't, like Heatran, SpecsToed, Lati@s, Hydreigon, Special Dragonite, Infernape, Conkeldurr, Expert Belt/Specs Rotom-W, mixMence, Starmie, Reuniclus, Espeon and Alakazam. While he doesn't counter all of them, he checks them pretty good in combination with Tangrowth. For example if mixMence comes in against Tangrowth, you can easily send in Slokwing. Best case scenario, King takes the DM like a champ and procceeds to spread status or attack. Worst case scenario, he takes the Outrage, which he can, and then you bring in Tangrowth, getting healed in the proccess, and you shrug off the next one easily.

Also, while both seems weak against Volt-Turn teams, the truth is that Tangrowth has them covered. He outspeeds and kos Band Scizor, and is not afraid of Rotom-W, Landorus or Celebi. Finally Slowking can spread burns to make Tangrowth job easier and can phaze anything that tries to set-up on Tangrowth with Dragon Tail.
Slowking sounds good, but Tentacruel sounds even better! Tenta absorbes the toxic spikes that Tangrowth hates, spins, checks a large number of special threats and can lay down its own toxic spikes. The only thing King has over Tenta is regeneration.

yea i considered slowking as a partner but water psychic just isnt a good special walling type. why do you think slowbro is massively more popular despite the mirroring stats?

i also tried tentacruel, and he was very good, as he provided rapid spin suport and also absorb toxic spikes which cripple tangrowth.... A LOT

Because Slowbro can actually tank some special hits, along with being able to counter Conkeldurr completely (something that Tangrowth can't exactly do due to not having the SE STAB and the resistance to fighting moves).

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Bro is better than king because his typing is much better for a physical wall than a special wall (and he hard counters terrakion)

anyway, if you want to use TanKing, play RU. Trust me. It's invincible in that tier

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
The only reason I can see for going physical or mixed tangrowth is for earthquake or rock slide so that you can smack a heatran or a volcorona on the switch in. Slowking has massive issues as a special water wall/tank but at least he can take repeated hits from rain boosted hydro pumps and isn't as scared of rotom-w volt switch.

Tentacruel is a great partner for tangrowth, I admit. Personally, I'm using specially bulky drapion with some slight attack investment as a partner instead, while still having a rapid spinner. If you must know why, it's because I just realized how weak most of the common defensive cores are to nasty plot celebi. I guess I could always ditch drapion for tentacruel and replace forretress for cm Latias. I'll try that out later.

Edit: congratz on your 1K post, pwnemon!

The Tangrowth/Slowbro pairing does seem pretty awesome; both being good walls, having synergy with each other, and Regenerator making a laughingstock of VoltTurn. You do presumably need a spinner, though, and I'd think Tentacruel would overlap too much with Slowbro...possibly you could bring Donphan in? How does all this logic sound?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slowking sounds good, but Tentacruel sounds even better! Tenta absorbes the toxic spikes that Tangrowth hates, spins, checks a large number of special threats and can lay down its own toxic spikes. The only thing King has over Tenta is regeneration.
Yeah Tenta is of 'course a good partner, but Slowking has a few perks over him, such as reliable recovery, phazing, being able to beat many Psychics that Tenta can't, lack of EQ weakness, Psychic STAB for Fighters, and the fact that Slowking hits significant harder the pokes it wants with it's coverage moves like Ice Beam and Flamethrower, due to the 30 more SpA points.

But Tenta is the better option overall, and this is why Slowking is RU.

The Tangrowth/Slowbro pairing does seem pretty awesome; both being good walls, having synergy with each other, and Regenerator making a laughingstock of VoltTurn. You do presumably need a spinner, though, and I'd think Tentacruel would overlap too much with Slowbro...possibly you could bring Donphan in? How does all this logic sound?
The problem with Slowbro + Tangrowth is that their roles kind of overlap. They are both physical tanks/walls that cover some similar threats like Terakion and Landorus. Slowking is a better partner for Tangrowth imo, because he handles the special side that Tangrowth can't, while also providing phazing, that Slowbro lacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)