SS OU Swordman and Space Duck

Swordman and Space Duck - SS OU Bulky Offense

Importable: https://pokepast.es/59d647652d4b3e78
Hello! This is my first ever post on Smogon! I have been playing showdown casually for a couple of years and have enjoyed lurking these forums. I thought it would be fun to put together a RMT for my favorite team I have built this generation. This team is certainly not perfect, and I would love to hear thoughts/suggestions for how to make it more viable and/or current. I like to build teams around my favorite mons, and love the challenge of putting together a threatening team that can stand up in OU at my play level. I sit around 1500 on the ladder, and have had great success climbing up with this team recently. Porygon-Z and Aegislash are some of my favorite mons, and they synergize quite well I have found. I present to you, Swordman and Space Duck!
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- King's Shield
- Substitute
- Close Combat

- Shadow Ball

Role:
Aegislash is an absolute pest of a mon. Its job is to annoy and wear down many physical attackers and walls in the tier, working especially well once the opposing team has been worn down. It can wall physical attackers who lack strong supereffective coverage thanks to Sub+King's shield with leftovers, which becomes ever more threatening if the opponent is poisoned. If played cleverly, this set often beats walls like Blissey, Toxapex, Melmetal, Buzzwole, and Ferrothorn, which Porygon-Z really appreciates. Its fantastic typing allows it to switch in on choiced mons and laugh in their face with a Substitute, before wreaking havoc with Shadow Ball and CC. Specially defensive Landorus-T, which is running around a lot right now, is not even safe after some wearing down throughout the game. Aegi does minimum 25% to a max HP max Spdef Lando-T. Aegislash tanks neutral physical hits with ease, eats up up resisted special attacks, then threatens back with some no-joke hits of its own. An absolute superstar.

Set: Leftovers was an obvious pick for this set, as this mon gets so much time to abuse it behind king's shield and sub. CC and Shadow Ball provide near-perfect coverage for the majority of mons in OU so that when it is behind a sub, the Swordman is very threatening. On the Smogon site, there is a set identical to mine, only CC is replaced with Toxic. I have opted to use CC to hit Blissey, Steels, etc, which I have found to be much more oppressive. I have given Toxic to other mons so Aegi can still sit and stall like an annoying bugger when needed. I have opted for max speed, max HP with a Naive nature, since Heatran and Clef sponge special hits that Swordman fears.

Calcs to Remember:
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 418-494 (58.5 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 306-360 (43.5 - 51.2%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 170-200 (41.3 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 152 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 193-228 (49.1 - 58%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

4 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 85-102 (27.9 - 33.5%) -- 95.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 97-115 (25.3 - 30.1%) -- 96.9% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 116-140 (29.4 - 35.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 194-230 (49.3 - 58.5%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Role:
Porygon-Z is a special wallbreaker/cleaner. Tri Attack hits incredibly hard as a neutral hit thanks to Adaptability, while boltbeam coverage offers options for supereffective hits and predictions. This mon hits stupid hard even without specs or nasty plot, and many players either disrespect this mon's power, or are caught off guard by the scarf. This mon will breeze through weakened teams with its scarf if nothing outspeeds it, making it an excellent wincon to set up for lategame. Trick comes in handy to cripple Space Duck's common switch-ins such as Ferrothorn and Blissey. Its normal typing synergizes excellently with Aegislash, switching in on ghost type moves while threatening strong attacks back. This core of Aegi and Scarf P-Z slap around Dragapult and Gengar on their own, with Heatran's help for Blacephalon. Though this mon requires some prediction to get in and use, it can be quite potent.

Set: The scarf patches up Porygon-Z's disappointing speed tier, allowing it to threaten the OU meta properly. I have tried specs, agility, nasty plot, and double dance sets, but I have had the most success with scarf. This mon really shines in the mid to late game after the opponent's team has switched in on a few rounds of stealth rocks at least. A weakened team quickly folds to Space Duck, since many threats end up unable to keep healthy under fire. Hyper Beam is a funny option over trick, which can delete problematic mons in a pinch at the price of losing the poor Duck to a revenge kill. I have found trick to be more useful generally for pestering utility mons, neutering their longevity even if Porygon cannot get off much damage. Although not the most viable special wallbreaker in SS OU, surely, the Space Duck sure is fun and I have been relatively successful with it.

Calc dump:
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 214-252 (82.6 - 97.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 240-283 (92.6 - 109.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales-Alola: 180-214 (51.4 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 196-232 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 210-248 (52.5 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garchomp: 324-384 (77.1 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 340-400 (89 - 104.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Tapu Fini: 156-184 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Blacephalon: 123-145 (49.7 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Role:
Heatran is the hazard setter for the team, functioning as a stallbreaker as well, and special tank. I hate Magma Storm when it misses, but I love it when it lands. Taunt keeps trapped foes from doing much, while Heatran sponges hits until the thing dies. Earth power hits things that are weak to ground, like Tapu Koko, Regieleki, Victini, etc. Heatran is an incredibly important defensive asset to this team, crutially setting hazards and walling key threats. The fire immunity is greatly appreciated by Rillaboom and Aegi. Heatran's existence makes opposing Volcarona incredibly sad, which this team relies on for that matchup. Heatran sponges hits from Lele and Koko, takes Future Sights, makes Ferrothorn run away in terror, and even pressures Blissey in a pinch. One of the strongest mons in the OU tier from what I have seen, so Heatran finds its way onto many of my SS OU teams for its fabulous role compression.

Set: This set is incredibly standard, and is pretty much all over the place with a similar EV spread and slight variations in movesets, from what I have seen. I have added 4 extra speed EVs onto the Smogon set. This way if I encounter someone who uses the Heatran set right from the site, I may get the jump on them with the Earth Power first. Taunt is incredibly handy for stopping annoying stuff from happening before its too late.

Calcs on some smogon sets:
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 228-272 (59 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 128 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Melmetal: 170-204 (38.3 - 46%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after trapping damage

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 282-332 (70.5 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 112-133 (29.3 - 34.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

Role:
Hazard removal, Toxic spreader, destroyer of Kartana. The poster child of OU himself needs no introduction. He is good. Intimidate helps the team take on physical attackers, by lowering stats. Lando pivots on physical attackers after applying Intimidate and maybe a Toxic, to then bring in Aegi (or others), to have an even easier time causing mayhem. If hazards or screens become too problematic, Landorus-T is incredibly consistent at deleting them before pivoting into someone else to cause pressure. As one of the team's only two pivots, Landorus fills a role no other mon could. Ground immunity for Heatran and Aegi, and an electric immunity so Regieleki cannot run circles around the team. Thank you, Landorus-T.

Set: At this day and age, everyone seems to run this mon with SpDef. On many teams that seems very logical, but on this team, I chose to give my boy some defense instead. This allows him to absolutely clap Kartana all game as long as he is alive, dealing Rocky Helmet chip if he still has it. This boy lives ice punches from random stuff, random water type physical moves, etc. Its awesome. However, there are certainly people who know how to use this mon more effectively than I do. I am sure with some adjustments to my team, the objectively better Spdef Lando would fit here. There is negative synergy here with EQ and grassy terrain on this team, but it has not bothered me yet. I just keep this in mind and ensure that I line up the terrain to end with when I want to claim a cheeky EQ kill. Defog gets rid of the terrain allowing for EQ to hit with full power, too. Not gonna lie, this set is basically ripped right off of the Smogon site, but it has done me well so far.

Lando lives stuff he shouldn't:
252+ Atk Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 316-376 (82.7 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Swampert Flip Turn vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 162-192 (42.4 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian in Rain: 368-434 (96.3 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Clefable @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Role:
Cleric/Toxic spreader/Unaware wall. The team needed some help with dark types, so Clefable was the mon I gravitated toward. Moonblast is easily spammable, and no dark types in the tier really want to take too many, and probably cannot kill Clefable before they are killed themselves. Unaware makes this mon incredibly useful, saving games against CM Tapu Fini, SD Garchomp, DD Pult, etc. Aromatherapy greatly increases the longevity of the team, allowing this squad to play the long game if needed. This team can last a long time to push through stall, and outlast status spam builds as well. This mon also spreads Toxic to help Aegislash on its conquest to cause players to pull all their hair out.

Set: These EVs are stolen from the Smogon site as well, and I am pretty sure they are designed to live hits from Kyurem, who is banned now of course. I just left them as is because I have not found myself in any particular trouble with these EVs; Clef just somehow lives stuff lol. One would think that this mon fears getting hit by Taunt, but truly, spamming Moonblast beats most Taunt users I have encountered (barring Heatran of course). Unaware Clefable, though probably a dated set, is incredibly useful I find. Experienced players can probably sniff out the Unaware Clef even with the Heavy-Duty Boots bluffing Magic Guard, but at least it keeps them guessing. This mon is a swiss army knife and works great at holding the team together in tough matchups.

Calcs:
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 224-266 (62.7 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 248-294 (78.2 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 78-93 (19.7 - 23.6%) -- possible 5HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 78-93 (22.6 - 27%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable on a critical hit: 282-336 (71.5 - 85.2%) -- approx. 2HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 296-350 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

Role: Offensive Pivot/Priority/Terrain Control. Rillaboom fits beautifully onto this build, providing unbelievably strong priority, with a wicked powerful Knock Off, and Superpower to pop unsuspecting mons for supereffective damage. Rillaboom provides nearly all of the physical power for the team and is an integral wallbreaker, smashing through bulky mons like they are nothing. Rillaboom's terrain provides protection for the team (Aegislash especially) from powerful Earthquakes while giving passive healing. Rillaboom revenge kills nearly anything that does not resist it incredibly well, and generates a ton of momentum for the team through U-turn. Rillaboom also serves as an important counter to rain teams. Keeping this mon alive in that matchup ensures an absolute bloodbath once Rillaboom's checks are weakened. A premier offensive threat in SS OU, no doubt.

Set: Adamant choice band is run since Rillaboom's STAB move is a priority move. This also ensures that all of the drum monkey's attacks will be hitting like a truck, applying pressure every time the mon is in. Rillaboom is the only mon on the team with Knock Off, ensuring we are not knocking off into mons that have already been knocked off before. Superpower absolutely smokes Heatran when it is unexpected, though Heatran can outspeed Rillaboom so it is important to scout for how confident the opponent is playing with their Heatran. Superpower smashes supereffective targets, and does a huge chunk to neutral targets like Corviknight, too. This set is incredibly potent at wallbreaking and pivoting. Rillaboom not only provides offensive pressure, but synergy with terrain, Knock Off, and momentum.

Calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro in Grassy Terrain: 320-380 (81.4 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 136 Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 216-255 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 127-151 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- 23.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper in Grassy Terrain: 171-202 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 398-470 (103.1 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 248-294 (70.4 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 157-185 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Building Process:

I thought that these two would make an effective and unique core. The normal/ghost type synergy works great. Aegi deals with Blissey, Ferrothorn, etc. for Pory, while Pory switches into ghost type attacks and fires back hard. There is a delicate offensive and defensive synergy here that I find so fun to play with.

Rillaboom came next. The core needed some priority support, and the passive healing from terrain helps out Aegislash substantially. I gave it Knock Off and U-turn, providing big damage and offensive utility. Rillaboom fills many roles here, while not being too strained to carry the team. This left me with a huge fire weakness, thought, and a lack of special defense. So...

Spdef Heatran was added to deal with fire types, especially Volcarona, who would massacre my team otherwise. Heatran also gave me Rocks, and Taunt, both very useful for a Balance/Bulky Offense build. Leaning into this bulky style, I figured I needed a cleric for the team.

Clefable filled this role perfectly, as a fairy type would fit well alongside the steels and ghost. Unaware stops sweeps in their tracks, and Aromatherapy cleanses status and increases longevity substantially. Heavy duty boots chosen for the fun little Magic Guard bluff. I debated Toxic vs Thunder Wave, but ultimately chose Toxic due to its synergy with Aegi.

Finally, I added the King of OU to round out the team. Defog was needed, and the electric/ground immunity is appreciated. Toxic instead of Knock Off, since Rillaboom had Knock Off covered and a second Toxic would be useful for this build.

Threats:

Urshifu-R is a scary mon for this team to face. It smashes most mons on this team pretty quickly. Luckily, Clefable easily lives a surging strikes and and threaten a KO back. Rillaboom also puts him in his place offensively. Thus, Clefable must be kept healthy at all costs in this matchup, and the game is best played slow and safe. A cleverly played Landorus can chip down Urshifu with rocky helmet to help too.

Dragonite, especially Dragon Dance, is a problem. Luckily, Porygon-Z outspeeds even after a DD, and Unaware Clef can take it on. It is important to protect these assets in this matchup. Clefable does a good job of forcing it out and keeping Multiscale off. If a Knock Off or Toxic lands on this mon, all is well.

Mamoswine and Nidoking are problems due to their ground/ice coverage. Clefable must be kept at the ready in this matchup. Rillaboom threatens both out, but certainly can not switch in. Porygon-Z with rocks is incredibly useful for taking these mons out, while breaking sashes thanks to early game Heatran's hazards. Ice shard from Mamoswine must be kept in mind all game to ensure the team is not picked off in the endgame by it.

Weavile can cause issues for this team too. Once again, Clefable must be kept in peak condition and if so, Weavile should be forced out enough to keep it at bay. SD is a problem due to boots and not taking chip damage from rocks. If a Knock Off lands on boots Weavile, all is well.

A Few Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1610339457 - Space Duck saves the day

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1610509605-pri5zjfip33qymbsnz513nwqwn8jhgjpw - A cheeky 6-0 vs Screens

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1610511812 - vs Necrozma HO

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1610514436 - vs Klefki HO

Conclusion:
I have had lots of fun creating and playing with this team, and hope someone else may tinker with it too! Writing this post has helped me really grow some understanding for each step of the teambuilding process. I am very much an amateur teambuilder and would love to improve. Any and all suggestions/constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! I look forward to building more teams and maybe posting here again down the road!

- Spenny0107

How do you switch in on volcanion or rain?
Heatran is the Volcarona answer for the team. Against a bulky roost set, it is important to get off a Toxic with Clef or Lando first, before bringing in Tran. Aegislash does a surprisingly good job at dealing with Barraskewda, Seismitoed, and Pelliper on its own. Rillaboom can take some water type hits too, but this team is generally weak to rain, and especially Urshifu-RS. I have tried using Unaware Quagsire instead of Clefable before, which did help the rain matchup, but I really missed having Aromatherapy. Do you have any recommendations?

Wood hammer on rillaboom could pick up some important ohkos and 2hkos. Over knock off could work.
I will certainly give this a whirl for this team. I feel that I'll miss having knock off, though, so maybe I'll do some moveset shifting to allow Lando to carry knock off instead, so Rillaboom can fully commit to being an absolute menace. I am also curious to experiment with rocks on clef and toxic on Heatran more.

Heatran is the Volcarona answer for the team. Against a bulky roost set, it is important to get off a Toxic with Clef or Lando first, before bringing in Tran. Aegislash does a surprisingly good job at dealing with Barraskewda, Seismitoed, and Pelliper on its own. Rillaboom can take some water type hits too, but this team is generally weak to rain, and especially Urshifu-RS. I have tried using Unaware Quagsire instead of Clefable before, which did help the rain matchup, but I really missed having Aromatherapy. Do you have any recommendations?
I said volcanion

I said volcanion
Oops my bad lol. Volcanion is definitely a threat i havent given enough credit you are right. I’ve run some calcs for specs volcanion and clefable lives any hit, but not comfortably, with the current EVs. I think I am going to make clefable max spdef to remedy this, as that makes more sense for the team too. This will also allow clefable to stand up to volcanion now if I am not mistaken. Is there a better way to check volcanion?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)