Resource SV ZU Viability Rankings (Pre-DLC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

logo by sinnabyss

Welcome to the SV ZU Viability Rankings. In this thread, Pokemon are ranked based on their ability to function within the ZU Metagame. This includes many factors, such as versatility, effectiveness, ability to handle metagame trends, size of niche, and several others. Since these are likely to be highly contested, there are a few rules to abide by:
  • Post reasoning. Posts like ‘Tropius should go to B because it has Harvest’ will be deleted and possibly infracted. You are expected to give sound logic for the nominations you make. Any one-liners will be deleted and possibly infracted.
  • Be civil. It doesn’t matter how heavily you disagree with a post, at the end of the day it’s an opinion posted by another person so throwing insults at them isn’t gonna be okay.
  • No discussion of future bans, suspects, or metagames. We aren’t gonna raise something because may drop or a change may happen in a future metagame, no matter how likely it is.
  • If you want to nominate a currently unranked Pokemon to be ranked, replays are a requirement. Preferably, these are replays against high level players so that you really show us that this Pokemon can put in work.
  • At the same time, do not base your entire argument around replays and usage statistics. It’s important to show why this Pokemon performs viability, not just that it is used.
Pokemon within sub-ranks are ordered alphabetically. There will be no D rank unless council agrees to have one in the future.

Also, the Pokemon’s names in this thread link to sample sets or analysis!

NEW
:ampharos: Ampharos
:calyrex: Calyrex
:camerupt: Camerupt
:carkol: Carkol
:drakloak: Drakloak
:dunsparce: Dunsparce
:glimmet: Glimmet
:lumineon: Lumineon
:luxray: Luxray
:rotom-fan: Rotom-Fan

S
:stonjourner: Stonjourner

A+
:banette: Banette
:dedenne: Dedenne
:dragonair: Dragonair
:oranguru: Oranguru

A
:gothitelle: Gothitelle
:raboot: Raboot
:sandygast: Sandygast
:toedscool: Toedscool
:vespiquen: Vespiquen
:wugtrio: Wugtrio

A-
:crocalor: Crocalor
:fletchinder: Fletchinder
:grimer-alola: Grimer-Alola
:hypno: Hypno
:jumpluff: Jumpluff
:mareanie: Mareanie
:murkrow: Murkrow
:scovillain: Scovillain

B+
:drizzile: Drizzile
:flareon: Flareon
:pawniard: Pawniard
:pupitar: Pupitar
:quilladin: Quilladin
:stantler: Stantler

B
:glalie: Glalie
:hippopotas: Hippopotas
:pikachu: Pikachu
:pincurchin: Pincurchin
:sneasel: Sneasel
:sudowoodo: Sudowoodo

B-
:dewott: Dewott
:eiscue: Eiscue
:gastly: Gastly
:krokorok: Krokorok
:morgrem: Morgrem
:mudbray: Mudbray
:pachirisu: Pachirisu
:seviper: Seviper
:tinkatink: Tinkatink
:tropius: Tropius

C+
:bramblin: Bramblin
:greedent: Greedent
:kricketune: Kricketune
:persian: Persian
:zweilous: Zweilous

C
:charmeleon: Charmeleon
:delibird: Delibird
:eelektrik: Eelektrik
:foongus: Foongus
:greavard: Greavard
:gumshoos: Gumshoos
:kubfu: Kubfu
:shroodle: Shroodle
:slaking: Slaking
:wooper-paldea: Wooper-Paldea

Last edited:

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Going to throw in the first batch of noms:
NEW
:vespiquen: NEW -> A- Read here for some of the info I detailed on this queen bee. Toxic and U-turn allows it to makes it a bulky pivot and Spiker, allowing it to synergize with VoltTurn teams and thus be more proactive. Nearly every pivot in ZU that was common sat at too high of a Speed tier to slow pivot, too passive (Eelektrik), or was too frail (Gumshoos). Now, Vespiquen can help bring powerful breakers like Banette or Scovillain into the field more safely, and punish walls like. though Poisons being quite popular (Swalot, Grimer-Alola and Mareanie) limit how much it spreads Toxic. Vespiquen's reliance on Terastalization makes it more reliant on support compared to other walls, accounting for hating Toxic itself and Knock Off absorbers to avoid rocks.
:Frogadier:NEW -> S/BAN Unlike Drizzile, an underrated Pokemon in its own right, Frogadier’s higher Speed outspeeds targets like Raboot and Murkrow, two popular wallbreakers. Perhaps the biggest selling point is Spikes, as it adapts very well since most Spikers are either weak to Ice Beam (Quilladin, Toedscool, Bramblin, Vespiquen), lack defensive utility and are frail (Glalie), or is largely uncommon at this point (Pincurchin). While certain walls like Mareanie and Specially Defensive Oranguru can evade the 2HKO after Stealth Rock against Choice Specs sets, they can be pivoted on with U-turn (like Drizzile), they’re vulnerable to be either hit with a layer of Spikes, making them less reliable later on as switch-ins, in conjunction with Rocks (unlike Drizzile), or they can be ruined by Switcheroo (also unlike Drizzile). Compared to Vespiquen and Quilladin, Frogadier is significantly more dangerous immediately, as it’s got good offensive presence courtesy of its strong STABs, Protean Ice Beam, pivoting, and is much faster than them.
:Dragonair: NEW -> A+ - It’s superb at late-game cleaning; not many Fairy-type Terastalizers exist to stop it from spamming Outrage late-game, and it has a nifty Extreme Speed to pick off frailer threats. Choice Scarf users like Gothitelle and Stantler aren’t exactly trending since the meta is quite bulky and are better equipped to deal with bulkier threats like Swalot and Grimer-A. Another case helping is Shed Skin, which many setup sweepers like Banette and Oranguru hate dealing with - now, it is much more capable of handling pesky Swalots and Fletchinder’s looking to cripple it. Though Pupitar also has Dragon Dance and Shed Skin, Dragonair’s trump card in Extreme Speed, higher Speed, and a better initial defensive typing makes it easier to use overall.
DROPS
:Wugtrio: A- -> B+
Wugtrio has been increasingly difficult to justify using. Despite not really being outclassed by anything specifically due to the void of physical Water-types, Wugtrio’s awful bulk and shallow movepool makes it hard to justify using as a wallbreaker. Compared to other wallbreakers, like Banette and even Choice Band Stonjourner, Wugtrio lacks the offensive power and typings needed to fully stand out. Not helping is its high Speed not being very useful against threats like Mareanie and Quilladin, which can very easily stonewall its Triple Dive. Even with a correctly predicted Stomping Tantrum or a cool lure with LO Ice Beam, they can simply switch out most of the time and be better equipped to deal with it as the match goes on. Simply put, Wugtrio is too prediction-reliant and often not powerful enough to take advantage of its high Speed and decent power.
:Drizzile: B+ -> C
I wouldn’t be so quick on writing it off to Unranked - unlike Frogadier, it can pick up on some crucial calculations with Stealth Rock support:
Drizzile
252 SpA Choice Specs Drizzile Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Mareanie: 121-143 (39.8 - 47%) -- 42.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Drizzile Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Grimer-Alola: 157-186 (43.1 - 51%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Drizzile Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hypno: 193-228 (51.6 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Drizzile Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Eelektrik: 130-154 (38.9 - 46.1%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Frogadier
252 SpA Choice Specs Frogadier Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Mareanie: 111-131 (36.5 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Frogadier Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Grimer-Alola: 144-171 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- 37.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Frogadier Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hypno: 177-208 (47.3 - 55.6%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Frogadier Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Eelektrik: 120-142 (35.9 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
In these specific calculations, Drizzile would either be able to do things Frogadier wouldn’t (potentially 2HKO Mareanie and Eelektrik after Stealth Rock) or by having a far easier time (almost guaranteeing) achieving these calculations (2HKOing Hypno and Grimer-A). Don’t get me wrong, Frogadier basically outdoes Drizzile in nearly all aspects, but Drizzile’s saving grace in its extra power makes it just enough to avoid UR. IMO, it’s got a clearer niche than the even more obscure Charmeleon, Delibird, and Eiscue hanging around.
:Kricketune: C+ -> C
Webs have been throughly unimpressive, being a scarce sight in ZU No Johns and not being seen once in ZU Open, and even in the ladder it’s an uncommon pick. Simply put, the webs abusers aren’t strong enough to break through a defensively oriented meta - longevity and defensive perks are far more favored, and Kricketune’s lack of usefulness outside the lead slot makes it unwise to play a 5v6 game most of the time.
RISES
:Pupitar: B+ -> A-
I believe Pupitar’s set variety allows it to distinguish itself very well, being well-equipped to run a defensive Stealth Rock set with good longevity, or by being a potent Dragon Dance sweeper. With investment to it Special Defense, it can tank and threaten out numerous Ground- and Rock-weak Pokemon, like Dedenne, Grimer-A, Flareon, Fletchinder, and Murkrow. What truly distinguishes it from other Stealth Rock setters is that unlike them, Shed Skin makes it significantly less vulnerable to status, giving it great longevity and defensive prowess, especially when compared to Stonjourner and more niche ones like Sandygast and Hippopotas. More importantly, Dunsparce left the tier, enabling it to have far less competition on that front.
:Morgrem: C -> B-
Shoutouts to Lizardu'' for suggesting this Pokemon and Tuthur for sweeping with me with it in ZU Open. Morgrem distinguishes itself from Hypno with Dark STAB, having more favorable matchups against Banette, Gothitelle, and Oranguru, while also having better bulk with Eviolite. Also helping is Dragonair’s newly added presence in the tier, making it more immediately threatening. Bulky sets can run Prankster Substitutes to stop shenanigans like Fletch’s Wisp or Stantler’s Trick, making it even more difficult to stop. Morgrem‘s access to Trick could make it a surprise Choice user, though there tends to be stronger options for this tool. Nevertheless, Morgrem is good enough to warrant a noticeable rise.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:Dedenne: A- -> A
Dedenne feels incredible in the current metagame. Its speed tier is incredibly valuable, and with nearly unresisted Electric/Fairy coverage (bar pokemon that are either unviable/very niche or simply not blocking Volt Switch - not to mention that tera types outside of Fairy are justifyable as well and can patch up weaknesses in Dedenne's offense or defense) it makes for a perfect Choice Specs user to clean and break, or a fast utility pivot with Heavy-Duty Boots. The resist to Sucker Punch also allows it to revengekill SD Banette and offensive Murkrow, while moves like Nuzzle, Super Fang and Discharge allow it to disrupt the oponent. With Dunsparce and Higgoo leaving, Dedenne also has an easier time versus common walls. Hazards are still amazing right now, and VoltTurn excels at abusing them - Dedenne should share the rank with its best partner Raboot and Thwackey.

:Quilladin: A- -> B+
This pokemon feels really awkward to use and build around. I never thought to myself that Quilladin fills the defensive hole I have perfectly - it is usually a pokemon I have to actively build around with my starting defensive core. It is still a really good physical wall, especially with tera in the picture, but feels not as splashable. I also dislike that you either stack types by running Quilladin + Toedscool, or don't run removal which Quilladin doesn't exactly appreciate. Maybe I just need to l2p though or you dedicate your tera for one of them.

:Drizzile: B+ -> UR
It feels terrible to UR the cooler looking pokemon, but Frogadier is just a better Drizzile in every way. While I see that it has a lower damage output on its Water STAB, it has a higher damage output with literally everything else due to Protean. the calcs mentioned above aren't that relevant (forcing both of the latter pokemon to Rest) outside of Mareanie, which has a shaky matchup into both almost equally anyway; especially with physical investment instead of special. I don't see a reason to run Drizzile. Like any. Frogadier is so fast you can't justify that small damage increase in this hostile metagame where the speed tier matter so much - in my eyes. It is not worth ranking as of now.

I disagree with this and I don't think the arguments made are true. Wugtrio's speed tier is valuable, as it revengekill pretty much any offensive pokemon bar Choice Scarf user in the tier. If you don't think its necessary to outspeed Jumpluff, you can even run Adamant on it, and still outspeed everything naturally up to Dedenne. Physcial Water STAB is pretty strong into the tier, and looking at the top pokemon, only Mareanie really can call itself 'safe' as an answer to Wugtrio. Quilladin can stonewall Wugtrio, but it has its own problems with hazards which are easily exploidable.
To me, Wugtrio's attacks just feel pretty safe to throw around, and with the current high danger coming from Frogadier, I would expect Water-resisting walls to be more focused on the special side. You also mention them to just switch out but also mention Life Orb. That makes switching around Wugtrio just as prediction reliant as using the right move. For Choice Band, it is true, but literally look at the top pokemon; they all fold to a solidly played Wugtrio or are named Mareanie.

Pokemon that are somehow missing :worrywhirl: :
:Dewott: New -> B-/B
I made a Dewott appreciate post which I will just refer to here.

:Seviper: New -> C+/B-
Seviper has stiff competition as a pure Poison type, especially given its lack/almost non-existent defensive presence. What sets it appart for me, is its ability to function as a disruptor with Switcheroo + Infiltrator and unique set up options in Coil + Shed Skin Rest. Poison + Ground coverage plays really well into the tier - proven by the two moves Swalot runs on its SD sets, while now that Higgoo left the tier, Trailblaze + Gunk Shot looks pretty neat again. Seviper benefits from surprise factor, while also being great versus the common defensive tera Fairy pokemon, by bypassing Substitutes entirely.

:Slaking: New -> C
Slaking stands for big damage. In our still very low power level metagame, Slaking establishes its niche as a strong wallbreaker, that literally blows up anything that isn't immune or resistant to Normal; and even then, coverage options just destroy those too, making it an effective lure. Of course Slaking's weaknesses are well known, and the metagame develops more and more into being so hostile, that you can't justify the free turns you give your opponent. But as it is right now, Slaking certainly has a niche and should be ranked.

:Arctibax: :Floette: :Krokorok: :Tinkatink: :Foongus: :Growlithe-Hisui: :Corvisquire:
I don't have a strong option on these pokemon, but I could see them being worth ranked somewhere. Maybe some other people have used them more and can confirm/deny putting them on the VR. Krok and l

plznostep

Flittle Fanatic
is a Community Contributor
throwing my hat in the ring because i have some opinions here
well also im not happy with how cluttered A- is so um here we go >:(

Rises

:mareanie: A- to A
Frogadier is pretty crazy, and Mareanie is one of the only consistent answers to it. Water resists are also in demand because again, we lost Sliggoo-H. Only reason it isn't going higher is it can get pretty rough when you matchup into random substitute mons that can use it at setup fodder.

:hypno: A- to A
Sliggoo-H is gone, that was one of the most nasty mons for Hypno to encounter. Now that's gone it only really needs to worry about Grimer-A but every psychic has to do that anyway, Hypno relying on tera isn't really that big of a deal, it can function okay without it and then it becomes incredibly strong with it so its usually a tera well spent. Seems like it is roughly on par with Gothitelle now.

:wugtrio: A- to A
I thought Wugtrio was a tad bit underrated on here from when I first saw its placement, and now Sliggoo-H is gone, its STAB is much more spammable into the tier, and more hazards seems to be a very welcome addition to Wugtrio, whittling down its checks such as Thwackey. It still has Stomping Tantrum to chunk Mareanie if needed, so it still has a way to make progress in those matchups. Dragonair is here now as a Water resist but banded does a fuck ton to that mon, with rocks you even 2hko it with tera lol.

:greedent: C to C+/B-
This is more of a nitpick but i think you people are forgetting how good this thing can be at wallbreaking. It has perfect coverage, amazing bulk, and a great boosting move in SD. Even gets to heal to full upon hitting 50% health or less (in most circumstances anyway) Usually always forces a trade, maybe even a 2 to 1 trade in the right MU. Seems weird seeing it in the same tier as Delibird.

Drops

:crocalor: A- to B+
Okay so Crocalor is a cool mon and all but hazard stack seems to be on the rise with Frogadier and Vespiquen available and that severely limits this Pokemon, plus Water-types are on the rise with Wugtrio and Frogadier being pretty good with Sliggoo-H leaving the tier, all things that Crocalor really doesn't appreciate.

:bramblin: B to C+ (maybe C)
Bramblin is a shit mon, can't even beat foul play Toedscool's 1v1 and still doesn't appreciate Toxic Toedscool's. It's stats are horrible and its not exactly able to pressure much. It has role compression with hazard removal + hazards. Oh wait Toedscool does that too. Well I guess the spinblocking in a pinch is okay...

Some New Additions:

:floette: to B-
It's a bulky Fairy type with access to Calm Mind + Reliable recovery and decent coverage in Psychic for Swalot and if you really want it, you can Tera Ground for perfect coverage for Steels. It definitely deserves to be on here imo, you can even do some bulky sub sets with Draining Kiss to imitate Hypno kinda but without needing to rely so much on Tera, and still abusing AcidPress Swalot's.

:tinkatink:
to C/C+
Mold Breaker Knock Off means you can get rid of Swalots Leftovers which is very very useful + Dragonair is now here and it does pretty well into it. So it has two favourable MU's with two of the best Pokemon in the tier right now. Also has some other neat utility moves like rocks, deserves a spot on the VR imo.

okay thats it from me byeeeeeeee
edit: oopsie i need replays for those last two to actually go on the thing so um ill go find some ig lol
here take these random tinkatink replays where it was being pretty useful with knocking Swalot and checking Dragonair while keeping rocks up and generally being annoying utility.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9zu-1896766992
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9zu-1897746422

ill get the Floette one later : P

Oh and after playing a lot I wanted to add another rise to this post

:thwackey: A to A+
Thwackey deserves A+. Yes, it matches up poorly into Swalot, but it has ways around it by pivotting, usually into a Psychic that abuses it or forces it the hell out, or can Leech Seed, annoying Swalot greatly. With Frogadier and Vespiquen being great spikers, it is also easier than ever to whittle Swalot down on repeated switch ins. It provides a team with a Water resist which can be crucial into Wugtrio, checking it very well, and Frogadier, but you have to be more careful in that MU, while also providing Grassy Terrain support for Pokemon such as Swalot, and can be great Speed Control with Scarf, with amazing STAB Wood Hammer boosted by Grassy Terrain and Knock Off which can cripple switch ins such as Fletchinder and Vespiquen.

Last edited:

sleid

vagabond
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I actually started writing this before talks came up in the Discord on updating this. Here are my thoughts:

NEW
:dragonair: NEW -> A
Dragonair is a very threatening cleaner with the ability to run break through some of the premier bulky mons like Swalot, Gothitelle, and Sandygast. Dragon Dance is a scary setup move, and unlike Pupitar, Adamant Dragonair can outspeed the entirety of the tier after a boost barring Wugtrio and Scarfers. It has solid coverage with Outrage + Iron Head since the tier lacks Steel-type resists outside of Tera. Rest is very neat, allowing it to recover health safely with some luck from Shed Skin. It can even go Extreme Speed to finish off weakened foes that are faster than it. What's holding it back from a higher ranking for me is the struggles it can have versus the likes of Mareanie, Crocalor and Stonjourner. It's also not necesarily in a slow speed tier, but it's not super fast before a boost. I think A tier is fair for the pressure it can put on teams after its hard checks are removed.

:vespiquen: NEW -> A-/B+
Before ZUPL, I probably would've ranked this a bit higher. Upon watching some matches, I think it fits comfortably in A-/B+ range. It's a great Spikes setter with very good bulk. The slow pivot U-turn allows for it to bring in its teammates safely. These are great qualities, however, it is just a bit too passive. Even with Toxic, I find that it really misses out on running an attacking move aside from U-turn. It allows for a free entry and turn of setup from Swalot, Dragonair, or Pupitar. It can also be caught off guard pretty easily by the Psychics types of they Substitute in front of it and Tera Fairy so the Sub won't break from U-turn. Although the slow pivot can help bring in counters, its still not necessarily great depending on the game situation. Really cool mon, not bad by any means. I just think it fits here better than in the A range.

:arctibax: NEW -> B-/C
Arctibax is a decent Pokemon, I have to assume there was some oversight to not putting this in the VR. It has very solid bulk with typing that gives it some great resists for this tier like from Wugtrio, Thwackey and Scovillain, while also hitting just about anything offensively with its Ice moves. A Stealth Rock weak NFE is usually pretty hard to justify using, but with some support from Toed or Fletch, it can work. I'm not saying its a world beater, but it deserves to find a spot on this list.

Pokemon that are somehow missing :worrywhirl: :
I agree with all of these thoughts from Corthius. I think we have seen these Pokemon have real places in this metagame. We haven't seen a ton of shine from Seviper, but on paper it still looks very good and is just outshined since the other Poisons are very hard to not bring.

:Slaking: UR -> C?
I think the current meta trendings have made Slaking more viable. Swalot isn't running Protect as much because most teams are very offensive right now. Sandy being on the rise does cause Slaking some issues, but catching it with a Throat Chop does not feel good. I think it's still a great breaker with insane Attack, and really nice bulk and speed. Only replay I have of it right now is below where it won in week 2 of ZUPL,
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9zu-704710

:foongus: UR -> C?
Corthius also brought up this mon that I recently have been looking into. I think Foongus has a real niche for dealing with other Poisons and our Stealth Rock setters. It has a great movepool with Foul Play being able to take on SD Swalot. Clear Smog is nice for stopping the setup from Swalot or the likes of Ston or Pupitar. Having a reliable recovery in Synthesis is always great. Regenerator is a broken ability. Toxic and Spore are great status moves. There is a lot to like here and I think this mon is highly slept on.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9zu-1905015533
+2 252+ Atk Swalot Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 150-177 (24.1 - 28.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
+2 252+ Atk Foongus Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Swalot: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Stonjourner Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 173-204 (27.8 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
:krokorok: UR -> C to B- range
I am surprised this is not ranked atm. It's been used a lot in ZUPL, especially a lot of brings in week 1. It's a solid offensive rocker to better handle the poisons and can be a check for Choiced Psychics.
RISE
:crocalor: A- -> A
Like I said before, I understand an entry hazard weak NFE is hard to justify using. However, this thing is a different beast. It has good enough bulk to justify boots, but it's much better ran alongside hazard control with Eviolite. It can sit in front of almost everything in the tier barring stuff like Stonjourner, Mareanie and Drizzile. Unaware is an insane ability, helping it come in and phaze out the Psychics if they get set up. Will-O is great for passive damage and crippling physical attackers. I think it has shown that it is super problematic especially when it chooses to Terastallize.

:sandygast: B -> B+
This thing seems to be on just about every team so far in ZUPL. Its typing and bulk makes it a great physical wall capable of handling Stonjourner, Raboot, and Jumpluff with ease. Earth Power + either Night Shade or Sludge Bomb makes it really annoying to switch in on. It's a great Stealth Rock setter that can spinblock and fish for poisons or damage Toedscool each time it wants to come in on it for a Knock Off. Having a recovery option is a huge plus for it. It can be worrisome because it can get setup on due to it being a bit passive with no phazing options, but that's why it's only being recommended to move up one slot.

:glalie: B -> B+
Putting Glalie here feels almost criminal. The offensive pressure with Ice + Ground coverage is really hard to come in on. Taunt is great for denying status inflictors or setup from Swalot, Vespiquen and all the Psychics as well as opposing hazard setters like Hippo, Mudbray and Sandygast. It's speed and bulk helps it excel at setting Spikes. Even with poor defensive typing, it can still find opportunities to switch-in against more passive teams and put in work.

Dedenne is a staple right now. It severely punished Ground-types with Dazzling Gleam, outspeeds almost all of the unboosted meta, and has enough bulk to take a nuetral hit if needed. It's super easy to splash on teams and is very hard to play around.

DROPS
:toedscool: A+ -> A
Toedscool has a lot going for it. Great typing, very solid bulk, decent uninvested speed and plenty of support moves. However, I find that it is really underwhelming as our premier hazard remover and I don't think being the best hazard remover = high ranking. It has 4mms because it wants to run so many different moves like Spin, Knock, Foul Play, Spikes, Toxic and Earthpower, but it just cannot fit all of these moves. Each set will find a different set of weaknesses in some fashion. Without Knock or Toxic, Sandygast sits in front of you all day. Without Foul Play or Toxic, Bannette can be harder to deal with. Spikes is nice and seems common, but it almost feels like you miss out on dealing with Toed counterplay when you run it. I just don't feel like its presence is that overwhelming right now to justify A+. I'd almost rather run 4-5 boots mons instead of using this for removal.

:quilladin: A- -> B+
Where is this thing? I have hardly seen it used in the last month. It's just way too passive as a spikes setter to be taking up a team slot. It has a lot of bad matchups into the top tier Poison- and Fire-types. I think it's just a tad overrated here and should be dropped down a peg.

:bramblin: B to C+ (maybe C)
I agree with Plz here as well. Never used anymore, entirely outclassed.

Last edited:

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
:stonjourner: A+ -> S, with Dunsparce leaving the tier most teams struggle to switch into Stonjourner reliably. Toedscool is quickly put in range of Heavy Slam, while other Ground-types like Sandygast and Mudbray can be hard to fit on some team structure. While usages aren't the most reliable indicator, it is also standing second on usage, right below S-rank Swalot, sitting with an excellent 60% winrate. Stonjourner just brings a ton of utility into any team between its access to Stealth Rock, devastating power, great speed tier, and excellent physical bulk, that means it never feels like a burden in game.

:jumpluff: B+ -> A, without Dunsparce and Sliggoo-H in the tier, Jumpluff is really shining. It has one of the highest winrate in ZUPL with 71% for 7 uses, and it is easy to understand why. It is the most reliable pivot in the tier, outspeeding close to everything in the tier and its access to a fast Encore lets it keep in check a ton of threats, which is extremely valuable in Tera metagames.

:zorua-hisui: C -> UR, nobody uses this. It had a sort of niche when Acid Armor Swalot was the meta defining threat and Dunsparce was spaming recklessly Body Slam. But now, I really don't the appeal of using such a weak and frail Pokemon.

:vespiquen: New -> A, really good pivot. Tier was lacking reliable Psychic answers and overall special wall, and Vespiquen took that niche pretty well. The weakness to Scovillain and Electric-types is quite annoying, but Vespiquen brings so much to the table that it often feels worth it.

:dragonair: New -> A+, Dragon Dance sets are very splashable and it's often a guessing game to know what to send into Dragonair. It also has great defensive utility with key resists to Wugtrio and Scovilain, two Pokemon that are often hard to check in the builder.

:sandygast: B -> A, most reliable answer to Stonjourner. Stealth Rock setter that can keep Stealth Rock up against Toedscool and Fletchinder, and has good matchups against most physical attackers. It took the place of Dunsparce in most bulky builds and the VR should reflect that.

:pachirisu: C+ -> B-, :eelektrik: B- -> C, nobody uses Eelektrik anymore. The absence of Electric immunity makes it so much harder to use than Pachirisu and Pincurchin. Both also bring more to the game in my experience, Pachirisu being able to dent teams with Super Fang and cripple threats with Encore and Nuzzle, as I've shown in every replays where I used it. Whereas, Pincurchin can just stack Spikes while having a decent matchup against both removers.

:seviper: UR -> B, this Pokemon has 100% winrate in ZU tours as I write this. Its ability to take advantage of non-Eq Swalot is really unvaluable and it is quite hard to switch into, if you don't have a Sandygast / Mudbray. Both SD + Trailblaze and Coil + Rest can prove to be real threats, even if their checks overlap.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-1896116246
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9zu-1900744473
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9zu-706078

:wooper-paldea: UR -> C, quite niche Pokemon that have found a place in several builds thanks to its two crucial immunities and ability to remove Toxic Spikes and set up Stealth Rock.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-1896131875
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9zu-703296

:tinkatink: UR -> B-, very annoying Pokemon to switch-into and it got key resists to common threats like Psychic-types, Murkrow, and Dragonair. Mold Breaker Knock Off, Thunder Wave, and Encore makes it a pain to switch-into and ensures this Pokemon is never a burden and will make progress in every game. It fits very well with Toedscool which can struggle to pair with another Stealth Rock setter on hazard stack builds.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9zu-704500
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9zu-706078

:zweilous: B -> C+, it wasn't receiving a lot of usage before because of how awkward it was to fit on teams, but Vespiquen and Dragonair drops make it even less reliable as they both take advantage of it and kinda outclass it as well.

:shelgon: B -> UR, no reason to use it over Dragonair.

edit: I forgot to add to rank Dewott.
:dewott: UR -> B-, access to Ice Beam and Knock Off sets it appart from the other Water-types, being able to threaten Grass- and Dragon-types, and cripple Eviolite users.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9zu-704763
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9zu-705973

Last edited:
:Vespiquen: New > A-
This Nom isn't really anything new. Vespiquen is solid on any offensive team style, holding both spikes and what is effectively a teleport. I'm ranking it here mainly because its less viable on balance oriented teams, where its spikes and momentum are far less necessary.

:Dragonair: New > A-/A
Nothing new here either. It's extremely strong and has access to plenty of solid traits. My main reason for not advocating A+ here, is its lack of set diversity and lack of utility. The Setup Sweepers in A+ hold far more set diversity, & afford their respective teams more utility (stonj with rocks, banette with spin block) Of course, a case could be made for the utility of Espeed, but Dragonair's priority is considerably weaker compared to the other priority mons of the tier, and you run the risk of compromising dragonair as a wincon. Overall, dragonair is extremely good, but lacks the utility of the A+ mons.

~~ Rises ~~

:Fletchinder: A- > A

If you aren't running spikestack, chances are you're running Fletchinder as your hazard removal. It's by far the best defogger in the tier with good enough bulk to get the job done & utility in wisp. Not pushing this to go to A+ because Fletch isn't very applicable to spikestack teams, which are very prevalent in the current meta.

:Eiscue: C > C+
Yes, I am genuinely going to advocate for this thing's Specially offensive sets. For starters, Ice Face's Utility is incredibly good at stuffing sweppers. Noice also holds a base speed of 130, the fastest in the tier with good enough coverage to make up for its abysmal special attack stat. I still don't think this thing should go above C+ because it's heavily reliant on breaking Ice Face and still has a bad Special stat, but it definitely has far more utility than the other C tiers.

:glalie: B > B+
Spiker that can threaten out toedscool. Yes, It's hard to get on the field but specially offensive Ice Types are really good right now due to constant pressure being placed on the psychics throughout the game, and Ice Typing basically going unresisted otherwise.

:Greedent: C > C+/B-
Functions as a wallbreaker which can comfortably check any mon that isnt running :Choice band: or :choice specs:. usually is able to drop at least 1 mon in a game and can come in on plenty of the tier's walls. Basically trades 1 for 1 while easing up pressure on your team's bulkier mons, a niche which is pretty helpful in the spikestack infested meta.

~~ Drops

:Hypno: A- > B-/B

While Hypno has definitely seen some solid success in ZUPL, it can't match up to the other psychics at all. Draining Kiss can hardly do any damage to mojns which are fairy weak, and Hypno will commonly find itself either having to rely on tera or outright losing to the tier's psychic's because it can hardly do any damage with psyshock. This, combined with Hypno's 4mss & lack of set variety makes it nowhere near as viable as gothitelle & oranguru.

:Bramblin: B > C/UR
If you're ever to a point in team building where you say to yourself "Darn, I need a spin blocker, Spiker & Rapid Spinner but I only have one slot left!" You fucked up team building ten minutes ago. Should also be noted that due to the lack of longevity that toed holds, most spikestack teams can get away with just straight up not running a ghost (although most do because banette is just really good in general.) See Plznostep's explanation above

:Gumshoos: C+ > C/UR
Think of it as a less bulkier greedent which loses its need to setup in exchange for being trash. Okay, maybe Gumshoos isn't entirely outclassed, but it's heavily reliant on webs (or tr bless your soul) For most other team styles though, greedent is definitely going to be a better normal type wallbreaker with its better bulk.

Last edited:
:ss/murkrow:
Murkrow: A- -> A
Murkrow's Mixed Attacker set can genuinely put in a lot of work. Base 85 for both Attack stats along with 91 Speed is pretty good, and Dark/Flying is a solid offensive combo (only three mons in the tier resist both, though they are all viable). For the mons it can't break through, it has U-turn, so it can also function as a pivot. Access to STAB Sucker Punch is also a nice boon, as is the fact that it cannot be put to sleep thanks to Insomnia. Finally, Calyrex and Drakloak just dropped, and Murkrow has good MUs against both. To be honest, if it weren't for Murkrow's less-than-stellar bulk (60/42/42 is pretty weak, especially without Eviolite), I could see this potentially going to A+, but as it stands, I still think it deserves a bump to A.

Also we're getting Eviolite Duraludon in winter so that's fun.

BaitWiz

hisuian zorua my beloved
is a Pre-Contributor
Heya, welcome to my first VR post of the new gen! I've been holding off on this one because most of my ZU related focus was towards ZUPL; however, with my time in the tournament unfortunately coming to a close, it's a good opportunity to revisit the viability rankings before the first DLC drops.

Rises

1693271453276.png
Stonjourner: S -> S+/ZUBL
This mon is obnoxious; I'll go into more detail in a post in the Stonjourner suspect thread if I make the time for it, but suffice it to say that Scarf, Band, general utility sets, and Rock Polish are all excellent sets that are difficult to predict and can get insane value. By far the best Pokemon in the tier.
1693268940103.png
Dragonair: A+ -> S

This Pokemon is so unbelievably nuts at sweeping games at the drop of a hat with its dragon dance set. Furthermore, it has quite flexible utility for its moves after the obligatory Dragon Dance; typically it runs some combination of Outrage, Extreme Speed, and a fourth move of choice. As far as what this final move can be, it's pretty flexible - random Tera Blast to sweep unsuspecting teams relying on other coverage, Hydro Pump to clean OHKO Stonjourner and deal massive damage to Sandygast and the like, Iron Head + Tera Steel to setup more easily against SpDef Swalot, Rest to cheese recovery with Shed Skin and continue setting up, the list is nearly endless. Outside of the tera types I've mentioned Tera Normal is the other popular Tera as it further boosts Dragonair's Extreme Speed, allowing it to catch key OHKO's that it typically wouldn't at +1. I simply cannot overstate how many games this Pokemon can win at the drop of a hat off of one bad turn or one misplay.
1693269279640.png
Vespiquen: A -> A+/S
Vespiquen's insane natural bulk alongside terastalization has given it a powerful place in the tier as a blanket special wall and defensive pivot that can check the likes of Oranguru, Drakloak, Gothitelle, Hypno, and Drizzile, among several others prior to terastalization and can check basically anything else post Terastalization, with Tera Steel, Water, and Dragon being the main popular choices. It also stands out as one of the few walls with access to recovery that doesn't require holding an Eviolite, meaning it can run the Heavy-Duty Boots that define its place in the tier. The many free turns it often gets gives it additional offensive utility through Toxic and setting up multiple layers of Spikes - Spikes which are often difficult to remove due to the tier's lack of reliable hazard removal outside of the rather abusable and overworked Toedscool and the frail Fletchinder. It's also worth noting that its natural base 80 attack, while nothing to write home about, means that even its U-Turn can chip switch-ins like Stonjourner, Raboot, and Crocalor to reasonable success alongside the hazards it so often already has setup.
1693269810828.png
Crocalor: A- -> A
Crocalor's role as a physical wall was initially in question due to how easily it can be abused by multiple layers of hazards; however, what many players have found is that Croc can succeed in spite of this hazard weakness due to how absurdly physically bulky it is alongside its Unaware Ability, allowing it to be the only true Dragonair counter in the tier. Its ability to tank powerful physical attacks and inflict status everywhere allows it to pull off hilarious feats like 1v1ing burned Stonjourner while checking many physical attackers like Thwackey, Raboot, Jumpluff, Pawniard, and so on. Terastalization also adds further depth to Crocalor's game, allowing it to remove its Stealth Rock weakness and gain a better defensive typing; Tera Water and Fairy are the main two at the moment.
1693270098997.png
Pikachu: B -> B+
Pikachu is the strongest special attacker in the tier without choice items, meaning that it keeps flexibility to change moves, and provides a somewhat risky Electric immunity to boot for those feeling brave enough to risk switching into Dedenne's Dazzling Gleam. This makes several variants incredibly threatening, with special attacking and mixed sets both seeing usage throughout ZUPL. The power of Electric STAB alongside Tera Ice or Flying and Surf allows Pikachu to hit everything in the tier for at least neutral damage, often super-effective. Alternatively, it can run a more mixed set, using Fake Out and Quick Attack to pick off weakened targets. It requires more dedication to building around it and isn't as splashable as Dedenne, but absolutely has a place in the tier as the second best Electric Type.
1693270383448.png
Dewott: B- -> B
Dewott's niche in this tier has expanded with the discovery of special sets to abuse Stonjourner and cocky grasses expecting the physical variant alongside the continued usage of Knock Off, one of the most valuable moves in the tier due to the abundance of Heavy-Duty Boots and Eviolite. Specially-biased Dewott has been seeing quite a bit of usage for its ability to consistently switch into Pokemon like Lumineon, Wugtrio, Fletchinder, Crocalor, and Drizzile, among others. It also helps that it abuses Lumineon and can trade with Drakloak.
1693273528271.png
Greedent: C+ -> B-
Greedent is surprisingly fat for the tier, making it a noteworthy bulky wallbreaker due to Sitrus Berry allowing it to setup a Swords Dance on almost anything, living almost everything thrown at it, and proceeding to trade at least 1:1 or massively chipping two mons on the opponent's team. I can't emphasize how many times I've thrown a strong move at it expecting it to die and having it live and proceed to setup a Swords Dance in my face, returning to 60-85% HP in the process. It is pretty scared of Knock Off, however, and there are powerful moves that even Greedent can't sustain; Specs Scovillain's Overheat/Leaf Storm kill it after rocks and a layer of spikes while lots of fighting coverage can find OHKOs against it after similar degrees of chip. However, note the asterisk here; after chip. Almost nothing in this tier can actually OHKO Greedent from full, and the moves that come close can't threaten it for two turns in a row and often can get outplayed by Terastalization.
1693270684274.png
Slaking: C -> C+
Slaking is woefully underexplored within this tier for obvious reasons; Truant truly is a godawful ability. However, Slaking provides some unique traits as a physical attacker; its excellent speed allows it to outspeed several common Pokemon already considered somewhat fast for the tier like Pachirisu, Lumineon, Murkrow, Fletchinder, and many more. Furthermore, its horrifying base 160 attack stat often boosted further by a Choice Band means that even Stonjourner can't switch into it without risking considerable damage from Earthquake. It also has Throat Chop to hit ghost switch-ins like Gastly, Drakloak, and Banette and Sucker Punch to catch scarfers attempting to outspeed and kill it with powerful neutral buttons or super effective moves. It requires extensive support and cannot be simply slapped onto teams, but when supported well Slaking can thrive.

Drops

1693271100676.png
Wugtrio: A -> A-
The reintroduction of Lumineon to the tier alongside Drakloak and Calyrex dropping down are all rough news for Wugtrio's signature water-spamming antics, while the rise of Dewott and occasional usage of Mareanie has not been appreciated either, though it can at least hit the latter with coverage. It also gets caught by many Scarf users like Thwackey, Calyrex, Gastly, and Stantler while not being able to run scarf itself due to needing to boost its otherwise somewhat lackluster base 100 attack.
1693271368694.png
Fletchinder: A- -> B+
Linda hates defensive Water-types and they haven't gone anywhere; if anything, they're more frequent than ever. Gothitelle also seeing occasional usage means that it often can't even safely click Defog into teams including it, as giving Scarf Gothitelle a +2 Special Attack boost can be game losing in the wrong scenario. It also gets abused by Dedenne and Pikachu in addition to the aforementioned Water-types and can only fit one of Brave Bird or Flare Blitz, meaning it either can't pressure Electric-types or can't pressure Dragon-types, neither of which is good - it also gets thoroughly abused by special variants of Swalot who don't mind trading a burn for tons of damage on Fletchinder or chasing it out, and psychics in general can use Fletchinder as setup fodder as well.
1693271801100.png
Flareon: B+ -> B-
Flareon is another fire type that hates waters, and it finds itself in more and more problematic situations by the day. Defensive sets often have a proclivity for passivity unless they run the recoil-inflicting Flare Blitz, which cuts into its role as a defensive Pokemon, while offensive sets typically aren't good since they often run out of steam before they get the job done due to Toxic's continuous ticking and Flare Blitz and/or Double Edge's recoil. It also isn't good that offensive Flareon doesn't do much damage to Water-types without Trailblaze, which isn't even all that powerful, and finds itself stonewalled by Stonjourner.
1693272683162.png
Bramblin: C -> C-/UR
This Pokemon is just a straight downgrade from Toedscool outside of being able to spinblock as a defensive Pokemon, something that often gets abused by Banette, and is horribly outclassed by Drakloak offensively; not to mention Vespiquen and Quilladin are also better spikers. The role compression just isn't worth it for a Pokemon that's ridiculously abusable by most of the tier. Just use one of these other mons instead.

New Additions

1693272841009.png
Calyrex: New -> A-/B+
Calyrex finds itself as our newest grass with okay bulk and either a scary double dance set supported further by Tera or a choiced set with STABs, Pollen Puff/Tera Blast, and Trick. Time will tell if it stays solid, but for the moment it's a decent new addition - as long as it avoids U-Turn, anyway.
1693272844838.png
Drakloak: New -> A+
Drakloak is an excellent new addition to the tier as a pivot and spreader of status. Infiltrator to work around Substitute sets is also invaluable, and its bulk isn't the worst when supported by Eviolite and some HP investment. It has three main sets at the moment; offensive pivot with U-Turn/Draco Meteor/Hex and its choice of TWave/Will-O, full offensive with Will-O/TWave/Draco/Hex, or bulky support with some combination of Dragon Tail, Night Shade, RestTalk, TWave, Will-O, and U-Turn, all of which have found success in their own way. Drakloak certainly isn't going away soon, at least not until Home happens.
1693272848794.png
Lumineon: New -> A
Lumineon's back and better than ever. An excellent specially defensive pivot that checks waters and can occasionally even go offensive with Scarf/Specs, Lumineon is great at facilitating its teammates while being annoying in its own right.

Last edited:

plznostep

Flittle Fanatic
is a Community Contributor
Rises
(baits post haveth inspired thou to do VR noms)

:crocalor: A- to A+/S
easily top 3 in the meta, like it is the glue that holds balance together and it benefits so damn much from tera to stop mons like Stonjourner from beating it and to tera out of its rocks weakness. unaware stonewalls a lot of the tier as well, like dnair will never break this at all.

:vespiquen: A- to A+
spikes broken, vespi is very splashable (also got better with calyrex here) and you get spikes + a good spdef pivot that can help deal with the psychics really well and spread status with toxic while boasting reliable recovery, easily an A+ mon so good, also has offensive sets which are neat and have seen use in ZUPL to some success.

:glalie: B to B+
spikes broken, glalie has spikes while being a super scary Pokemon in its own right thanks to its great coverage and ability to go either special or physical which makes it harder to scout and Tera Ground is also really damn strong. Bulk is nothing to scoff at either, seems higher then it is rn.

:greedent: C+ to B-/B
I am so sick of this mon being underrated just because its Greedent. This mon is actually so damn good, it's able to tank hits on both sides of the spectrum incredibly well and with Swords Dance it is also incredibly threatening when combined with its great coverage, and you don't even need to worry about status because Facade punishes anyone who wants to burn it like Crocalor. And when you get it to low HP, it uses its Sitrus Berry and gets back to full, which makes it super easy to trade with this mon and you are basically guarenteed to make some kind of progress with it in a game. Saved my suspect test run and it honestly needs to see more use at this point.

:eelektrik: C to C+/B-
i don't know why it is in C tier, good bulk, it has levitate to avoid spikes which is great for an nfe to have, spreads paralysis nicely, just a general all round nice mon. benefits from tera a lot too, tera steel stonewalls stonjourner which is always a plus. I just don't get why it is down here next to Delibird at all.

:pawniard: B+ to A-
this thing got better because calyrex is everywhere and it resists STABs and it can hit surprisingly hard when boosted so it seems like it deserves a rise for me. OBB will be happy with this im sure.

Drops

:toedscool: A to A-/B+
okay so Toedscool is very overrated in my opinion, its a Ground-type who cannot answer Stonjourner please stop trying to use it to do that and that makes it kind of hard to build with nowadays since running two Ground-types isn't really adviseable imo since Water-types are pretty strong atm as well as Grass-types like Scovillain and Thwackey, not to mention Ice-types like Eiscue and Glalie, with Drakloak available thats another mon who can spinblock it and it takes a lot of damage trying to get hazards off anyway since it doesn't have passive recovery or recovery in general and then takes hazards + a hit from whatever its trying to switch into anyways, its just very overrated imo and does not deserve the place it has rn

:hypno: A- to B+/B/maybe even B- or C+ LOL
no-one uses this much anymore because Calyrex is right there and has better stats and movepool to take advantage of Tera Fairy Draining Kiss, so Hypno is just really hard to justify

:pincurchin: B to B-

this mon is so damn hard to fit onto teams, hp is so poor that its bulk only average and that is not a cool thing with its typing is a bland electric typing. the only thing i would use this for is electric types and like the grounds are right there while also helping you with the best mon in the tier stony j. it only provides like spikes which is okay but spikes users are highly contested anw.

quick ones
:wooper-paldea: C to UR - sorry but your niche expired
:bramblin: C+ to C/UR - your niche is kind of a thing but like its even tinier then it was before since spinblocking isn't as important anymore and there are better more consistent spikers.
:drizzile: B+ to C/C+ - sorry lumineon is back so you have become niche

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
:greedent: C to C+/B-
This is more of a nitpick but i think you people are forgetting how good this thing can be at wallbreaking. It has perfect coverage, amazing bulk, and a great boosting move in SD. Even gets to heal to full upon hitting 50% health or less (in most circumstances anyway) Usually always forces a trade, maybe even a 2 to 1 trade in the right MU. Seems weird seeing it in the same tier as Delibird.
:Greedent: C > C+/B-
Functions as a wallbreaker which can comfortably check any mon that isnt running :Choice band: or :choice specs:. usually is able to drop at least 1 mon in a game and can come in on plenty of the tier's walls. Basically trades 1 for 1 while easing up pressure on your team's bulkier mons, a niche which is pretty helpful in the spikestack infested meta.
1693273528271.png
Greedent: C+ -> B-
Greedent is surprisingly fat for the tier, making it a noteworthy bulky wallbreaker due to Sitrus Berry allowing it to setup a Swords Dance on almost anything, living almost everything thrown at it, and proceeding to trade at least 1:1 or massively chipping two mons on the opponent's team. I can't emphasize how many times I've thrown a strong move at it expecting it to die and having it live and proceed to setup a Swords Dance in my face, returning to 60-85% HP in the process. It is pretty scared of Knock Off, however, and there are powerful moves that even Greedent can't sustain; Specs Scovillain's Overheat/Leaf Storm kill it after rocks and a layer of spikes while lots of fighting coverage can find OHKOs against it after similar degrees of chip. However, note the asterisk here; after chip. Almost nothing in this tier can actually OHKO Greedent from full, and the moves that come close can't threaten it for two turns in a row and often can get outplayed by Terastalization.
:greedent: C+ to B-/B
I am so sick of this mon being underrated just because its Greedent. This mon is actually so damn good, it's able to tank hits on both sides of the spectrum incredibly well and with Swords Dance it is also incredibly threatening when combined with its great coverage, and you don't even need to worry about status because Facade punishes anyone who wants to burn it like Crocalor. And when you get it to low HP, it uses its Sitrus Berry and gets back to full, which makes it super easy to trade with this mon and you are basically guarenteed to make some kind of progress with it in a game. Saved my suspect test run and it honestly needs to see more use at this point.
quite frankly, i see no reason for this mon to be ranked any lower than B+ for the points outlined above. i think that my peers hit the nail on the head, but ironically still undersold greedent heavily. without sounding like a broken record, this mon just absolutely feasts on teams and is such an amazingly effective wallbreaker and it just. doesnt. die.

its ability to eat up hits with 120/95/75 bulk, set up with swords dance (dont use belly drum) to further bolster its base 95 attack, and click its perfect coverage in stab move of choice, eq, and crunch is just unmatched. and speaking of stab, both body slam and facade are great--the former of course spreads para with a 30% chance and capitalizes on greedent's poor base speed, while the latter abuses the opponent's attempts to status you into submission, most notably flipping the script on will-o-wisp.

i could genuinely seeing this creeping its way into A-, but i'd settle for B+ for now. use greedent, it's so, so good rn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)