Project SV ZU Teambuilding Competition

diegoyuhhi

our shared past and our lost future
is a Pre-Contributor
:tauros-paldea:
:tauros-paldea:

This newly introduced fighting-type bull has established itself as one of the main forces to be reckoned with in the ZU tier, with its huge variety in sets and coverage.
Build a team featuring Tauros-Paldea and post it in this thread with a brief description.
Deadline is Friday 12th at 10pm GMT+1.
Have fun!

first blood this time

https://pokepast.es/1716d07276d51a1b

this team is actually pretty fun

Tauros with band hits like a semi-truck in the right situation, intimidate also makes for a good pivot
EQ 2-hit-KO´s everything that isn´t super bulky or a grass type
Throat chop one-shot´s banette and Haunter and two-shots all other ghost types except dusclops.
iron head is specifically for carbink, as it two-hits it.
Close Combat is a nuke, i don´t think i have to elaborate there

Servine is a very strong special sweeper, taking huge advantage of stellar tera and speed control in glare

misdreavus is just generally bulky and can neutralize some physical attackers with will-o-wisp

naclstack is an incredible wall and can sweep surprisingly well with body presses

Ditto is the best reverse sweeper there is.

Furret is here for hazard control and can also sweep sometimes.

:tauros-paldea-combat: :houndoom: :swalot: :indeedee-f: :misdreavus: :golem:
Liechi Trailblaze Tauros Offense

Tauros - Terra Dark
Liechi Berry
Close Combat
Throat Chop
Substitute
Trail Blaze

Wanted to do something other than bulk up, so I threw a liechi berry on this bad boy and called it a day.
sableye is setup bait if you terra
sub to trigger liechi, and trail blaze for speed control if needed.
I guess you could run iron head over one of the bottom 2 but its really only hitting dashbun and they have roar so not worth imo

Houndoom - Terra Ghost
Heavy Duty Boots
Fire Blast
Dark Pulse
Sludge Bomb
Nasty Plot

Didnt always wanna blow my terra load on Sableyes and needed something to deal with ghosts.
Sludge Bomb since were a bit weak to DashBun already
Terra Ghost and we can set up/wall most Dashbun and Combusken

Swalot - Terra Dark
Leftovers
Gunk Shot
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Encore

Iron press Swalot can be a problem for tauros so added my own.
Evs probably arent optimal but wanted him to be a bit bulky. Encore over something else to beat IP swalot and catch psychics
Safer switch in to servine, dont have to risk a glare on doom

Indeedee-F - Terra Fairy
Choice Scarf
Psychic
Terra Blast
Healing Wish
Trick

Needed some speed and something else to get rid of swalots or force them to terra dark at the very least,
Then Tauros can deal with em later. Indeedee + Swalot makes decisions very hard for opposing Haunters.
I dont think I've clicked healing wish yet but I want to keep it.

Misdreavus - Terra Fairy
eviolite
Shadow Ball
Draining Kiss
Nasty Plot
Substitute

Missy is the mon im the least confident in.
I wanted something off the ground and something that can come in on CC's without dying in 1 hit if I predict wrong.
Houndoom + Missy = Choice Locked Indeedees are always in a bad spot
Calm Mind might be a better choice but theres so much that comes in and revenges that i like the immidiate power better
open to changes on missy but i do like having her around

Golem - Terra Rock
@Custap
Stealth Rocks
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Explosion

Needed some rocks and custap golem does a great job of that.
Ill lead golem 99% as long as they dont have a multi hit mon.
max atk max speed addy, cause he here for a good time not a long time
Usually attack first turn get rocks up second.
Terra Rock because I just didnt change it, you shouldnt terra with em.

Overall Team seems alright I guess. Tauros set probably could be better with bulkup but Liechi is cool too and its not that hard to get him in range + he naturally forces alot of switches so you get a ton of free subs.

Sneasel could be a problem if you let him SD on you. Hasn't been a problem for me yet but we dont have any switch ins for it but he cant come in on anything safely as long as youre careful clicking psychic on indeedee. (wich you should be since its the only thing that can revenge without taking a hit)
Healthy Tauros Deals with him.

Well Built webs might be a problem since were not running removal but havent had a problem with it yet.
DD Whiscash could be a problem(most are just spikes), they usually come in on swalot I'd just stay in and click encore or you can hard switch to indeedee and lock them in to hopefully EQ or revenge with tauros

too much work to write anymore, not the best team but has enough power to keep momentum up
PS: oh yeah no water resist, who cares

Attachments

diegoyuhhi

our shared past and our lost future
is a Pre-Contributor
:sm/banette: :sm/dusknoir: :sm/haunter: :sm/misdreavus: :sm/sableye: :sm/trevenant:

ZU has many different ghost types, with different niches and playstyles, that can fit in many different kinds of teams.

Build a team featuring at least 2 Ghost types and post it in this thread with a brief description.
Deadline is Friday 19th at 10pm GMT+1.
Have fun!

:haunter: :misdreavus: :klawf: :tauros-paldea-combat: :gogoat: :tinkatuff:

:Haunter: I wanted to use haunter here, but specs or scarf seemed too boring. So i looked at gengar sets and saw this tspikes hex shock set and used it on haunter. Struggle with tink more than other sets, but this team can deal with it. Psychic lures swalot trying to remove tspikes.

:misdreavus:Missy provides an actual spinblocker for the team, as well as being able to outspeed and taunt noctowl trying to defog on it. NP dkiss is the set here. Sab could work as well but i prefer missy.

:klawf: Klawf gives the team rocks and a physical wall, with knock off as well to remove boots. Nothing more to say really.

:tauros-paldea-combat: Tauros is the big ol broken in the tier, and boy is it good, Throat chop to hit ghosts and eq for poisons. Intimidate lets it check physical threats, and scarf with its excellent speed tier allows it to be a great revenge killer and sweeper.

:gogoat: Very underatted mon imo, this guy checks almost every other grass in the tier barring leafeon and can setuop on them. It also is a very scary sweeper with tera on its side. I chose EQ for coverage to hit tink and swalot, who can be annoying for this team.

:tinkatuff: Tink is the dedicated special wall, with its usual bag of tricks. Since klawf already provided the team with rocks, i slotted in play rough in the last slot to surprise sneasel.

This team is nice against most. Tauros can be a bit of a problem, as well as combusken, but with careful play they are beatable. Spikestack is a bit annoying but whishcash is free gogoat entry so theres that.

Also bonus trevenant set for anyone else building, i got it from someone but i forgot (i think its either fish or sleid)

Trevenant @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Poltergeist
- Trick Room
- Wood Hammer
- Sucker Punch / Horn leech / EQ

“Build a somewhat viable team with two fire types”
IMG_2475.jpeg

:carkol: :indeedee: :golem-alola: :quaxwell: :tauros-paldea: :fletchinder:
flamin’ offense
https://pokepast.es/0bb6fc09c0a42cb0

:carkol:- the COAL is one of the best defensive fire types in the tier, which isn’t exactly a groundbreaking achievement due to lack of competition, its natural bulk has led to me investing in special attack since a strong special attacker is needed to avoid getting swept by physical walls and it has a pretty solid stab combination for a normally passive mon, body press is for sheer coverage but can replaced with wisp for more utility, another thing that it brings to the table is rare access spikes which gave it a niche before carbink and whiscash dropped and forced it to be a gimmicky sun counter, the first spice

:indeedee: the female version of indeedee is zu legal and has proved to be a great specs breaker and scarf cleaner, late game this pokemon often tears up teams once dark types and resists have been weakened or destroyed

:golem-alola: alolan golem is a potent stealth rocker that threats all hazard removers except for the niche sandshrew, its lethal double edges can dent resists and its natural bulk furthur improves its matchups against physical attackers like honchkrow, rock stab is also very strong in zu

:quaxwell: a more mixed defensive set was used since the team really needs the bulky water to come into all kinds of hits, remove hazards and then pivot into something, quaxwell is a blanket check to many physical threats even without full investment

:tauros-paldea: bulk up defense boosts and intimidate can help tauros get more set up chances and go out of control while providing defensive utility with its very rare rock resistance, trailblaze is coverage for water thats hits hard after boosts and boosts speed to take care of scarfers, very fast and potent sweeper

:fletchinder: finally i needed a good offensive pivot to pair with quaxwell and a defogger to give carkol the chance to switch without worrying about hazards digging into it, fletch has useful resistances, high power stabs to make up for its not so impressive attack stat and can force switches to u turn or defog for free thanks to said stabs, the second and final spice

one of the teams biggest counters is combusken, tauros can try to take it on wbut too many swords dances and its going to be overpowered plus quaxwell and fletchindee can’t wall it any longer after max attack

keep an eye for swalot since its very common and has many good match ups into the teams pokes

Last edited:
:dugtrio::haunter::electabuzz::houndoom::sawsbuck::scovillain:
When you ask me to build a team with multiple Fires, sun is the first thing that comes to mind, so that's what I built.

Started with :scovillain: seeing as it's the quintessential sun sweeper, having both Chlorophyll and Fire-STAB. Solar Beam and Fire Blast give :scovillain: its STABs, and Giga Drain is there as an out-of-sun option if ever I need that. Running Tera Steel to cover :scovillain:'s weaknesses and maybe allow me to set up the sun in case :dugtrio: falls without getting it up.

Of course, any sun team needs a sun setter, and after looking at the role compendium, I decided :dugtrio: would be a solid fit on the team, since it allows me to get up the hazards and doesn't leave half my team weak to Flying. Obviously running EQ for STAB and Sucker Punch to pick off mons like :haunter:. Tera Ghost is used to deal with Rapid Spin, but this rarely comes up. Heat Rock is used over different options like Focus Sash to ensure I actually get my money's worth when I click Sunny Day.

At this point, it seemed high time to fulfill the teambuilding prompt and add another Fire. I went for :houndoom:, both because I hadn't used one yet, and because it's able to hit things hard as soon as it hits the field, as opposed to something like :combusken:. Rocking a pretty standard set with Tera Grass Trailblaze to cover :houndoom:'s weaknesses and allow it to zoom past most of the tier. Nasty Plot is an option outside of sun to up my power level anyways.

I'm now left with a slight Water issue, so I added a Grass in case :scovillain: can't step up to bat. It just so happens that :sawsbuck: has nice synergy with sun because of its Chlorophyll, which allows it to run circles around pretty much the entire tier when the sun is up. I chose :sawsbuck: over :leafeon: because I liked the idea of ramming people with STAB DEdge, which :leafeon: can't do without Tera. Access to High Horsepower to deal with Fires and Poisons is also a big draw towards :sawsbuck:. With a Choice Band, this thing becomes an absolute bomb of a mon, so giving it high-power moves like the aforementioned DEdge and Petal Blizzard works nicely on it. Throat Chop is here to deal with stuff like :haunter: and :trevenant:, which would otherwise spell trouble. Tera Ground powers up High Horsepower to be more on-par with DEdge.

The team now struggles with Fighting- and Flying-types, so these final two slots attempt to remedy that somewhat, starting with :haunter:, which I'd call by far our most immediately threatening Ghost-type, so it seemed like a slam dunk on a team as offensively oriented as this one. Again, running a standard set, NP+3 attacks with LOrb for more power and Tera Ghost to fix Shadow Ball's contemporarily less than stellar base power.

Rounding off the team, we have our Flying answer, for which I landed on :electabuzz:. I initially tried running :luxray: in this slot instead because I felt I was a bit lacking in physical attackers, but he ended up a bit too much of a momentum sink for my tastes, so I switched it out for the much faster :electabuzz:. Running Specs with TBolt and Volt Switch for STAB and pivoting, then tried cramming as much coverage as possible into this guy. Avoiding Tera Water Tera Blast here for bad synergy with my sun, even though it'd theoretically help :electabuzz: with mons like the two :golem:, instead opting for Tera Flying to shed my Ground weakness so I can get in an attack that my own sun doesn't weaken.

:combusken:-:houndoom:-:tauros-paldea-combat:-:misdreavus:-:spidops:-:tinkatuff:

Its been a long time since I tried a webs team, and this one came to mind

the stars of the show are houndoom and combusken, and with the challenge of two fire types these seemed like the most obvious candidates.
Both are wincons with only really one turn of setup. Houndoom is a pretty standard set, nothing special going on. I prefer tera grass to smack grounds and waters that want to come in for free, but this set loses pretty handily to opposing houndoom and chicken. Use tera ghost if your tired of losing to chicken. The chicken set is based on the thought that after one turn of setup, I have plenty of capability to click fb and cc at least once, then leading to a tera normal with a 140bp no drawback move that I can freely spam. I didnt feel protect was necessary as most people assume protect and dont attack the first turn anyway.

Due to busken not having protect however, and doom getting outsped by scarfers, I decided that webs was a clear choice here. I picked spidops for the incredible utility, and also being the bulkiest setter by a fair bit. not much ohkos spidops, leaving me to happily forego the usual sash for a red card, giving me more opportunities to uturn and knock.

Tink is my favorite rocker, and I just added it in to spread para and knocks, and generally be a nuisence.

however, that leaves my team with multiple ground weak mons, so missy takes care of that, as well as providing value as a spin blocker

finally, choice band tauros comes up the rear with late game breaking power aided by the webs tat spidops dropped.

been having a ton of fun with this team so far, hopefully yall enjoy it.

edit: replay of why last resort works well https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9zu-2044833176

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)