SV UU Metagame Discussion - Teal Mask Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
genuine question, who is still using donphan?? cause clearly SOMEONE is doing it, elsewise it would've dropped from uu already. like, i get its not terrible?? its got great physical bulk, even more so than iron treads arguably- oh wait, they have the same defense stat. and iron treads has a better defensive type than pure ground for the metagame. hmm... maybe its for the physical attack? cause we don't have like, a REALLY good and bulky physical ground type- oh wait, ursaluna exists.

yeah this thing baffles me. the only thing i can see it being used for is like, suicide lead with custap berry who sets up both rocks and spikes? sturdy means it can always get one up, plus it can- sorry what's that? it doesn't get spikes? oh.
my only real guesses are on trick room teams or just for an off meta lead that punishes some of the more common leads, like sandy shocks or meowscarada.
trick room would make it iron treads but faster, and without the ground weakness. i can see it doing the same thing as treads, which is just spamming good, strong moves and supporting the team with rapid spin. as an anti-lead, its.. actually really interesting? like, i can't picture it being anything more than a gimmick, but being able to get the jump on sandy shocks with earthquake/ice shard or meowscarada with ice spinner/ice shard, AND remove their hazards? probably not good, but its at least kinda neat. either way, to whoever is keeping donphan from dropping, you're probably really cool and awesome.

genuine question, who is still using donphan?? cause clearly SOMEONE is doing it, elsewise it would've dropped from uu already. like, i get its not terrible?? its got great physical bulk, even more so than iron treads arguably- oh wait, they have the same defense stat. and iron treads has a better defensive type than pure ground for the metagame. hmm... maybe its for the physical attack? cause we don't have like, a REALLY good and bulky physical ground type- oh wait, ursaluna exists.

yeah this thing baffles me. the only thing i can see it being used for is like, suicide lead with custap berry who sets up both rocks and spikes? sturdy means it can always get one up, plus it can- sorry what's that? it doesn't get spikes? oh.
my only real guesses are on trick room teams or just for an off meta lead that punishes some of the more common leads, like sandy shocks or meowscarada.
trick room would make it iron treads but faster, and without the ground weakness. i can see it doing the same thing as treads, which is just spamming good, strong moves and supporting the team with rapid spin. as an anti-lead, its.. actually really interesting? like, i can't picture it being anything more than a gimmick, but being able to get the jump on sandy shocks with earthquake/ice shard or meowscarada with ice spinner/ice shard, AND remove their hazards? probably not good, but its at least kinda neat. either way, to whoever is keeping donphan from dropping, you're probably really cool and awesome.
Its a spinner that beats opposing Treads (common hazard setter) close to 100% of the time. You pair it with Alomomola for recovery, the job gets done. No ground or fight weaknesses helps its cause. Probably doesn,t deserve being UU by usage, but its a viable Mon.

Someone. Its got great physical bulk to check iron treads... with wish support you can kinda spin on it and pressure it and do stuff that it cant do. Without a typing that is weak to fighitng, ground, and fire it means you can check stuff better like DD mence, iron hands, treads itself, okidogi, and more.

Considering Ninetales dropped to RU, I'm curious to see how well Torkoal will be. I know he is a better sun setter, but rain feels pretty dominant right now (I'm surprised Ludicolo didn't rise up here), so I don't know if he can cause a true weather war in this tier. Pelipper matches up too well into sun teams overall (what can Hiligant do to it?) and they have so many ways to create momentum with so many flip turn options. The main saving grace I could see is sandy shocks in sun, but I like running at least 2 electric checks on rain anyways (rn, I'm using that rain team aim used, which has Pawmot and Toedscreul). Anyone have some tech I'm forgetting about that can give Sun an edge?

Considering Ninetales dropped to RU, I'm curious to see how well Torkoal will be. I know he is a better sun setter, but rain feels pretty dominant right now (I'm surprised Ludicolo didn't rise up here), so I don't know if he can cause a true weather war in this tier. Pelipper matches up too well into sun teams overall (what can Hiligant do to it?) and they have so many ways to create momentum with so many flip turn options. The main saving grace I could see is sandy shocks in sun, but I like running at least 2 electric checks on rain anyways (rn, I'm using that rain team aim used, which has Pawmot and Toedscreul). Anyone have some tech I'm forgetting about that can give Sun an edge?
Hiligant on its way to drop a Tera Grass Choice Band Solar Blade in sun, Leaf Blade in Rain

+1 252+ Atk Lilligant-Hisui Solar Blade (62.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8+ Def Pelipper in Rain: 130-154 (40.2 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lilligant-Hisui: 576-676 (204.9 - 240.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Ok fair point you have their, I forgot how much hustle helps
Hear me out, Tera Electric Tera Blast

Hiligant on its way to drop a Tera Grass Choice Band Solar Blade in sun, Leaf Blade in Rain
+1 252+ Atk Tera Grass Lilligant-Hisui Solar Blade (62.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8+ Def Pelipper in Rain: 174-206 (53.8 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Grass Lilligant-Hisui: 288-338 (102.4 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I forgot you said tera grass, so here it is updated

Alomomola moved from UU to OU
'Mola! Nooooooo! Now I'm gonna have to learn how to build an actual defensive core in this tier instead of just dropping Helmet 'Mola onto every team that isn't working.

Empoleon moved from OU to UU
NVM, we good

I'm using that rain team aim used, which has Pawmot and Toedscreul)
So that's why I've faced that team a thousand times the past couple days. I didn't even know any Poketubers played UU.

'Mola! Nooooooo! Now I'm gonna have to learn how to build an actual defensive core in this tier instead of just dropping Helmet 'Mola onto every team that isn't working.

NVM, we good

So that's why I've faced that team a thousand times the past couple days. I didn't even know any Poketubers played UU.
I love how you went, “oh no, ill have to use my brain” *empoleon dropped* “NVM we good”

Unfortunately, I'm doing a disservice by forgetting who climbed to number one with it, but the team reached number one, and Joey, finding out about this, used it in a vid. He does a pretty good job going around to different tiers and showing them off, which, imo, is a big reason why he's so successful.

Melt Gibson

planting gardens in the potholes
is a Forum Moderator
shifts shifts shifts!!!!

:heatran: :alomomola:
Losing Heatran kinda blows, having the guaranteed balance breaker was really nice and I think having a reliable Fire-type was a net positive to the tier even if Magma Storm hitting or not did cause some silly interactions. Alomomola leaving, however, is going to be huge. Torn-T Regen cores aren't the free win generation that they used to be, Amoonguss and Heatran balance isn't on the table anymore, SHART is illegal... we're pretty much in a whole new world now. Having a strong special breaker isn't going to be anywhere near as mandatory as it used to be now that the fish is gone, and Wish passing is going to be considerably harder as well. Possible surge in washing machine sales? We'll see!

:empoleon:
This is going to be fucking awesome. It seems to just be the exact same as oldgens but better now? Competitive provides a better niche to offensive sets, as well as letting Empoleon function as Defog bait, and it has hard recovery now thanks to Roost. Water/Steel is also a very unique typing that's extremely helpful thanks to offering a Flying resist (!) while also resisting rocks. I think Empoleon will end up being fairly useful even if it's not meta-defining.

:torkoal: :grimmsnarl:
why are you here again

ThatOneApple

A Bit Fruity
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Shift Stuff Wooo

Rises to OU
:Heatran:
Ngl this guy was getting on my nerves a tiny bit with all the taunt trapping and grass blasting so im not too annoyed about him leaving. Sucks to lose a mon who proved a lot of defensive and offensive utility in one slot but eh, as i said im not too upset.

:alomomola:
This thing felt mid and stupid at the same time somehow, like its both annoying that we lost it but i like that its gone. Genuinely no idea what to think of this, though i will say physical breakers like :arcanine-hisui: and :mamoswine: pop off at it leaving.

New Drops
:Empoleon:
Idk what to think of this dude, like on paper a steel type with recovery, knock, rocks, and pivoting is cracked, but i feel in practice its gonna struggle to do a lot of that. 4mss is gonna be a bitch for it, but ill see how it does

:Torkoal:
Hey buddy we dont have many good sun abusers down here, no tusk or wake in sight, good luck!

Bonus!
:Grimmsnarl: Who invited my man blud? Bro thinks hes on the team

Tree69420

早上好中国、现在我有bing chilling!
is a Tiering Contributor
really wish we got gren so we could finally get rain out of the tier
sun will be shite, empo seems good but no foggers is a moment for it

A few months ago, a really popular and epic team was running around on the OU ladder - the legendary Monoclaw!
When the original monoclaw team was developed, Iron Hands was in UUBL and is essential on monoclaw to have a physical tank that can trade against physical breakers. The same goes for Hoopa-U, but on the special side. Now that these valiant claw-wielding warriors are legal in uu...
(shoutouts Delibird Heart for the original idea)

Its MONOCLAW time
https://pokepast.es/9e635fb8319df27c

Unfortunate (Grimmsnarl) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Parting Shot
- Taunt

Doesn't (Iron Hands) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge
- Ice Punch

Even (Enamorus-Therian) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Mystical Fire

Begin to (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Magician
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Describe (Ursaluna) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Crunch

My Series (Slowbro-Galar) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Quick Draw
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam

So the theory behind this team if you guys are too lazy to read the OU thread is to bring breakers so you have good chances to break through fat and to constantly trade vs offense and hope you get 1 or 2 claw procs needed to win the sac war. With fat mons that can setup like iron hands, enamorus-t, and slowbro-g, you can constantly force trades and all it takes is one proc to win the war. I'm also sure that the moves and tera types can be changed for the UU metagame, for example, this team struggles against skeledirge.

If you're feeling a bit bored of using skill to beat your opponents and want to spice things up, now's your chance (before claw gets banned since the evil Smogon council is anti fun :P)

Proof that this is viable:
1698905655237.png

Also LMAO someone really hates quick claw:
1698905737660.png

Replays (showing how you too, can beat some of uu's best players with pure skill):
vs pdt: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1979224313-yhjknique01zjudtsajfik5gy102scupw
vs pif: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1979064215

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
with alo and tran bowing out, the like of azu, scizor and weavile will be more prominent.
empoleon is a solid rain answer shutting down most special options and naturally resisting water. Roost and Flip Turn are both great additions to its kit.
in general, with the departure of tran I think we're going to see a surge in banded meow and ogerpon both have coverage options for their usual switch-ins and can generate momentum through U-turn now with less fear of flame body burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)