Resource SV Ubers UU Great Cores

Finchely

so silly...
is a Pre-Contributor
Cores are a major fundamental aspect of teambuilding, that regularly become the determining factor for the success or failure of a team. The reliance on great cores for a thriving team comes from how cores act as the main basis for how a team gets progress in a match. What I mean by this is; a core is the utilization of a combination of 2 Pokemon to achieve a specific objective. This is not conjecture either, all teams at the top of competitive play have combinations of 2 to 3 Pokemon that lay the groundwork for how the team gains progress. This progress can be as simple as dealing great damage through the use of strong coverage between 2 Pokemon, or 2 bulky Pokemon whos typing's complement each other well. However, cores are complex and have more to their value than just the surface level combinations of type that fit well together. Offensive cores prime objective is to use a combination of offensive pressure through either utility moves, raw damage, or baits in order to break opposing team compositions. Defensive cores central game plan is to use longevity, raw bulk, and type resistance combinations in hopes of outliving the opponent and win long term with gradual damage. Cores are not set to be strictly offensive or defensive in their workings, generally any viable option to net progress in a match can be formed into a specific core (EX: Rain). Generally, cores are the foundation of all competitively viable teams and as such consciously forming great cores to net sufficient enough progress for victory is necessary for any team to make sufficient enough progress for victory.

Posting Guidelines
  • Everyone is allowed to post a core in this thread, but be sure to put your core into it's specific category. The main 3 categories include: Offensive, Defensive, and Balanced. Please be sure to include what category your core falls under, within your post.
  • Regardless of how obvious a core may work to you, other players may not understand why it works. When posting a core it is imperative to properly explain the functions of your core and other important details within that post. The explanation is not an essay, so long as the main idea of the core along with other details you deem important are conveyed and well explained it'll do. Here are some added guidelines that may help you better explain your core
  • See SV OUs great explanation of the definition of offensive and defensive cores.
  • Be sure to include the sets in your core post, and any EV deviations from the usual 252/252 need direct explanations.
  • If you have replays utilizing the core in your post, we highly suggest including them into your post!
  • Please refrain from posting cores larger than 3 Pokemon, any core bigger than 3 leaves little room for any additional teambuilding.
  • Constructive criticism is allowed in this thread, however remaining respectful is above all else. If you disagree with a particular statement or the overall viability of a posted core and want to voice this opinion, do so without hostility.
Core Selection Process
  • This thread is being run by NJNP. He'll be thoroughly reviewing the cores submitted, and discuss certain cores with the Ubers UU Moderation team as well as other contributing members. Once discussion is done we will decide on what cores to add to the great cores archive in this thread.
  • Understandably the process of selecting great cores can be subjective so in pursuit of further consistency regarding the submitted cores, we will be looking at more than just the Pokemon themselves. These other factors we'll be reviewing include the effectiveness of the core in the current metagame, the explanation given for the core, and much more for the sake of maintaining quality assurance.
  • When the submitted cores have been decided on for archive, we will publicly announce the cores that were chosen for the great cores archive. We will provide explanation for the reasons of the archived cores, as well as the reasons for why certain cores were rejected within this announcement. We are hoping this feedback can give posters a better idea of what we value in a core.
  • If a core was initially rejected from being added to the archive, we can give critique on how to better optimize your core to better meet the quality standards we look for in a core.
  • If you have any concerns with our post or the selected cores for archive, please let us know! However, we do rather simple question or problem be asked directly to us in a PM for convenience.

Last edited:
:clefable::cyclizar::houndstone:
Going to go ahead and submit this Defensive Core heavily inspired by the sample Revolving Door squad from Qbking3.

It is a fairly simple defensive core that is useful for Balance teams to handle a large portion of the metagame, although it is susceptible to well-positioned strong breakers like CB Palafin, Palkia-Origin, SFLO Landorus, and Specs Chi-Yu.

Clefable is the dedicated Unaware slot and special tank, using Tera Dark and Calm Mind to become a hard stop to Stored Power users such as Magearna while Wish passing and potentially sweeping if conditions are right.

Cyclizar is the utility poke, using everything in its arsenal to support the team. Draco Meteor over Taunt is an option to damage the aforementioned threats to the core.

Houndstone is the blanket physical wall. While it can falter against non-contact attackers such as Dice Baxcalibur and SD Garchomp, being able to tank and threaten most attackers with Wisp is great support for any team. Hound's Wisp improves Clefable's setup opportunities against physical threats, while it benefits from Clefable's Wish passing.

Teambuilding Note: none of the members of this core are using reliable recovery, so consider adding 1-2 more defensive options to stabilize the core. Smart usage of Shed Tail should alleviate this issue somewhat.

Here's a core I would like to submit:
A WEATHER-based core,
Sand Core
:Hippowdon: :Houndstone:
https://pokepast.es/9d6b9cc159a01f1f

Utilizing the game ending potential of Last Respects and Sand Rush, Houndstone is one of the most powerful end-game sweepers in the tier being able to outspeed all unboosted threats and many boosted or Choice Scarf 'Mons while under Sand. To set this Sand, Hippowdon is the preferred weather-setter as it functions as a great defensive wall, setting up Stealth Rock for Houndstone to ensure KOs and being able to phase out boosting opponents that would otherwise stop Houndstone's sweep with Whirlwind.

Teambuilding Notes:
Hippowdon works best when paired with a special wall and 'Mons that resist or are immune to water, grass, and ice types to patch up its weakness. Also make sure to have a solid gameplan to remove normal-types (Blissey and Cyclizar being the only relevant ones) otherwise you might find your Last Respects sweep prematurely ended.

Possible 'Mons to add:
Sand Veil is legal in the tier, so you can try and cheese strategically beat your opponents with misses under Sand. (:garchomp:, :donphan:, :orthworm: are notable users)
Other Sand Rush 'Mons can help in facilitating the sweep, especially since even under Sand Houndstone sometimes misses out on outspeeding some boosted threats. (:lycanroc:, :sandslash:)

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I've had too much fun with this core the past few days, i need to show it off
:Landorus-Therian: :Regieleki: :Dialga:
https://pokepast.es/db20e1265c68d441

It functions as a strong offensive core. Crunch outspeeds and OHKO's 252HP/4def NDW, and lando is bulky enough to live a sash deoxys psycho boost, and brings down to sash w/ u-turn. Can also be used as an intim sack later in the game, and generally banded earthquake is soo good. Regieleki helps with water types and can thunder wave basically anything at +1. Utility eleki is super underrated methinks. Dialga helps on the special side and against water types, and rounds out the necessary utility roles with hazards and phasing. I like pairing this core with THE set arc-grass, but i don't think its necessary.

In an attempt to revive this thread as well give what I think is valuable information about building HO, I propose the core of...

THE Hyper Offense Core
:Deoxys-Speed: + :Spectrier:
https://pokepast.es/33aaa7502e153670

I have been primarily playing Hyper Offense and hazard stack seems like the primary way to use it at the moment and these two form a perfect core for it. Upon setting up hazards, Deoxys-Speed can Taunt incoming targets like Giratina trying to Defog them away and upon dying Spectrier can Taunt again whilst picking up the kill. A strategy which has worked for me many times is to lead Deoxys-Speed against a team with Hatterene, then switch into Spectrier which allows it a free attack off on their team. Besides them both having Taunt and Spectrier being capable of 1v1ing most hazard removers, Spectrier is also a spinblocker who can switch into Rapid Spin users like Great Tusk and kill them after their failed attempt by setting up a Nasty Plot into an attack.

Finchely

so silly...
is a Pre-Contributor
In an attempt to revive this thread as well give what I think is valuable information about building HO, I propose the core of...

THE Hyper Offense Core
:Deoxys-Speed: + :Spectrier:
https://pokepast.es/33aaa7502e153670

I have been primarily playing Hyper Offense and hazard stack seems like the primary way to use it at the moment and these two form a perfect core for it. Upon setting up hazards, Deoxys-Speed can Taunt incoming targets like Giratina trying to Defog them away and upon dying Spectrier can Taunt again whilst picking up the kill. A strategy which has worked for me many times is to lead Deoxys-Speed against a team with Hatterene, then switch into Spectrier which allows it a free attack off on their team. Besides them both having Taunt and Spectrier being capable of 1v1ing most hazard removers, Spectrier is also a spinblocker who can switch into Rapid Spin users like Great Tusk and kill them after their failed attempt by setting up a Nasty Plot into an attack.
It seems like a great core! I'd be happy to add it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)