Resource SV Short Questions and Short Answers

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator
What are good teammates for delphox?
Delphox works pretty well with Scarf Basculegion in my opinion. They wear each other's checks down and Basculegion's pivot can bring Delphox on Pokemon such as Magnezone, Dragalge or Wo-Chien. Basculegion also scares Tyranitar and Slowbro out.
Chesnaught is alright too as it can chip the opposing team thanks to spikes to help Delphox break/sweep later and can pivot in on Ground, Water or Dark moves thrown at Delphox.

I'd like to learn to play RU. Any fun offense teams with slither wing or Brute bonnet?
Bonnet's not really that good right now due to the abundance of U-turn and better Grass type options being available. If you want to check for teams go to the Sample Teams thread https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-sample-teams-submissions-open.3717072/

I can also lend a team I've been using that uses the pivoting and priority perks of Slither Wing alongside other members, though I don't guarantee success with it XD (I've reached 1400s with it, but I usually just rest on 1300s) https://pokepast.es/d1a278224a8524ff

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator
Just wondering, but is sun viable in RU due to ninetales dropping down last tier shift?
I wouldn't say it's bad but it sure is overshadowed by rain as of right now. Tyranitar and Hippowdon being in the majority of teams makes it hard as well. Moreover, unlike rain, sun lacks fast abuser, especially since Lilligant-Hisui's ban. Not bad but definitely niche.

If yanmega is low in the viability list, why was it the 7th most used pokemon? Is it like an ambipom situation were people spam a pokemon that is not that good in a tier?
It's used pretty often in HO as a Tera Ground sweeper. It has the obvious double weakness to rocks and doesn't always hit the hardest without Tinted Lens, but once it gets the Throat Spray +1 and a few Speed Boosts it can snowball if played right.

If yanmega is low in the viability list, why was it the 7th most used pokemon? Is it like an ambipom situation were people spam a pokemon that is not that good in a tier?
At the time that viability list was made, Yanmega hadn't been optimized yet. It's currently one of the best Pokemon in the tier with the following set:

Yanmega @ Throat Spray
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Tera Blast
- Protect

What Niche do Slither Wing, Forretress and Noivern provide?
In RU (their respective tiers), Slither Wing can be a defensive pivot using Heavy Duty Boots or a Scarfer with pretty great attack. Forretress is a hazard setter / spinner with a slow pivot (volt switch). Noivern is a defogger or Specs / Throat Spray Boomburst / Draco wall breaker.

What Niche do Slither Wing, Forretress and Noivern provide?
They are all versatile pokemon that have multiple roles, and 2/3rds of them even do those roles well.
Slither wing's main sets are as a bulky attacker pivot with heavy duty boots or protective pads or choice band. It can either run will o wisp to cripple a lot of the pokemon that would try to switch into it and give it a lot of longevity when combined with morning sun or first impression for strong priority. Very helpful for dealing with speed boosting sweepers like jugulis and maushold.
Forretress is not very good but if you do use it, its power is in fitting multiple important roles like a rapid spinner and fairy resist into one teamslot.
Noivern's strength is its highly diverse move pool. It has strong attacks to choose from as well as u-turn, defog, taunt and super fang. It can be a fast attacker that easily switches in, a passable form of hazard control that is easy to fit onto a team or a stallbreaker that wins with taunt and super fang.

Why is Glastrier not good in the tier? What Pokemon outclass it in the role(s) it wants to do?
It's not a thing of being outclassed, more like "there's no place for Ice types in the tier outside of Snow. And even then it's a questionable choice".
There's not really a pokemon that fills Glastier's role atm as a bulky swords dance breaker, but by virtue of being an Ice type it can't really do said breaking reliably against balance. You don't really do progress against defensive teams either, since most of them use either diancie (who can outbulk you and outdamage you with Diamond Storm's defense raises) or Quagsire (who can take a hit, Toxic you and recover stall). You could say that the Ice disadvantage is patched by Tera, but that makes it dead weight for most of the match. Weather being prevalent doesn't help matters either, since you're vulnerable to the 3 setters, only really taking advantage of snow (which again, is quite niche).

There's probably a team that can make it work (maybe with wish support and LOTS of hazard removal), but you're better off just using other physical attackers in the tier. If you really want to use an Ice type, use cloyster

While I understand the appeal of Glastrier's bulky Swords Dance potential, the current competitive landscape seems to offer limited opportunities for it to shine effectively. I also play here often

Last edited:
Is there a reason why Drednaw is not used that much at the moment even though it's ranked at B?
It's just really restricted to certain kinds of teams, and right now hyper offense teams have so many more broken sweepers to use. Drednaw will never be used on any kind of team that wants to play more than 15 turns, and it's hard to fit on a hyper offense team that wants jugulis, yanmega, maushold, mimikyu and lucario. Plus I feel like most hyper offense players are copying teams from one or two popular rate my team posts, they're not the kind of players to experiment with oddball sweepers.

Why is Cyclizar S-Tier, Fezandipiti A+-Tier and Slither Wing A-?
Cyclizar:
Best Spinner in RU. Regenerator is a great ability that allows you to get in, spin, Knock Off and U-Turn into a matchup more favorable for you.

Fezandipiti:
Very solid defensive and offensive presence that gives you plenty of freedom in the team builder. While most Fez tend to run some combination of U-Turn and Moonblast, the other two moves are pretty open; you can run Calm Mind + Roost to get into position to sweep, Taunt + Calm Mind to stop opposing Fez or bulky mons from recovering, etc. Toxic Chain is also a great ability as you can pivot around with U-Turn and spread Toxic to your opponents team.

Slither Wing:
One of the best revenge killers in the tier due to STAB First Impression doing significant damage to a lot of the top mons, such as Iron Jugulis. Great versatility in the way you can play; you can run bulkier sets with Morning Sun and Heavy-Duty Boots to pivot around, offensive sets with Flame Charge and Booster Energy attack to sweep, Protective Pads sets to prevent getting burned from Flame Body on Talonflame, etc. One of the better physical attackers with one of the best priority moves.

Why are Milotic and Gardevoir ranked B+, and why is Vaporeon more used than Milotic?
They're both good mons for bulkier teams, though Vaporeon seeing more usage is likely because of Wish pass capabilities. Neither of them have enough offensive presence to warrant a higher rating in my opinion as they're susceptible to getting used as setup fodder for the more Hyper Offense teams once they're chipped down.

How's Rhyperior doing in this meta? I don't play RU super often, but I'd like to build a Rhyperior squad at some point. That said, I genuinely don't even know where to start given how prominent Rain and bulky Waters/Grounds in general seem to be. It's obviously got a shitload of firepower behind its attacks and it has some legitimate promise as a Tera abuser when it can just get rid of its abysmal typing (hell, it can even keep an Electric immunity courtesy of Lightning Rod if you really wanted to go that route), but I just don't know how to build this mon.

Basically: if folks are seeing it at all, what's it even running?

How's Rhyperior doing in this meta? I don't play RU super often, but I'd like to build a Rhyperior squad at some point. That said, I genuinely don't even know where to start given how prominent Rain and bulky Waters/Grounds in general seem to be. It's obviously got a shitload of firepower behind its attacks and it has some legitimate promise as a Tera abuser when it can just get rid of its abysmal typing (hell, it can even keep an Electric immunity courtesy of Lightning Rod if you really wanted to go that route), but I just don't know how to build this mon.

Basically: if folks are seeing it at all, what's it even running?
Rhyperior is a funny mon to use as you can run a generic rocks bulky set that is slow but dangerous or a rock polish weakness policy set to potentially sweep your opponents, though neither are really viable unfortunately.
Resisting Electric is fun and all but it's really not a good mon in this tier and will likely be NU/PU material before long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)