Project SV PU Teambuilding Competition

sleid

vagabond
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
approved by Shaneghoul, OP stolen from the DPP OU Teambuilding Competition.
teambuildingtugawar.png

(thank you UberSkitty for the lovely art)​
Welcome to the SV PU Teambuilding Competition thread! Each week I will post a new Pokemon, core, set or team archetype, and its up to you to make the best possible team out of it! Every time you post a new team, you will have to provide an explanation of the building process, strength and weaknesses, and the importable of the team itself. The winner of each week will get their team featured in the Hall of Fame!

Some rules:

1) Don't copy somebody else's team. Pretty straightforward here, we want this competition to be as diverse as possible, and copying a team someone else posted will result in a DQ for that week's round. Taking inspiration is absolutely fine, but I don't wanna see copies of teams.

2) Don't vote for yourself.

3) Don't ask for votes, neither for you or your friends. Let's keep the competition fair and clean.

4) To vote, please post with the three teams that you think should win. For example, if I thought that Team 735, Team 90 and Team 129 were the best, I would post this:

Team 735, Team 90, Team 129

Here's an example on how you should post your team:
:Misdreavus: :Misdreavus: :Misdreavus: :Misdreavus: :Misdreavus: :Misdreavus:
describe building process, strength and weaknesses, threats etc.

Honch Paraspam Webs by rien with 6 votes! :honchkrow::spidops::tinkatuff::banette::skuntank::basculin-blue-striped:

Psychic Spam by rien with 5 votes!:rabsca::indeedee-f::dachsbun::gabite::charizard::lumineon:

Sunny Rain by Theblobfishman9, Sand Immunity Spam by Aurist, Golduck rain by TONE and Masquehail by UberSkitty all with 4 votes each
:pyroar::charizard::golduck::beartic::raichu::rotom-fan:
:dugtrio::hippopotas::sudowoodo::lumineon::gogoat::raichu:
:golduck: :beartic: :electrode: :perrserker: :rotom-fan: :murkrow:
:snover::masquerain::beartic::frogadier::gabite::skuntank:

Terrain team winners, all with 4 votes!
Team 1: Meditite Psychic Terrain by LettuceLeaf07 :Indeedee-f::meditite::gabite::crabominable::raichu::hattrem:
Team 3: Crabgrass by Theblobfishman9 :thwackey::crabominable::honchkrow::dartrix::lycanroc-midnight::golduck:
Team 4: Sliggo G-Terrain by SergioRules :thwackey::sliggoo-hisui::camerupt::basculin::falinks::skuntank:

Both participants with 5 votes!
Mono-Normal by Shaneghoul: :pyroar::sawsbuck::dunsparce::indeedee::rufflet::zangoose:
Mono-Dark by sleid :honchkrow::houndoom::qwilfish-hisui::skuntank::zweilous::krokorok:

Post-DLC 1 NFE Duo Team by Morge with 7 votes! :thwackey::wyrdeer::charizard::piloswine::swalot::gurdurr:

New HOME Wave Drops had a 3-way tie with 5 votes each!
Klawf + DD Zard by Morge :Klawf: :Charizard: :Swanna: :Morpeko: :Weezing: :Appletun:
Bossturn 2.0 by waterfals :Mabosstiff: - :Farigiraf: - :Braviary: - :Samurott: - :Weezing: - :Sandslash:
Phione Grassy Terrain by UberSkitty :phione::thwackey::farigiraf::morpeko::tauros-paldea-combat::weezing:

Type Duo teams had a tie with 6 votes each!
Psychic, Electric, Normal (Quad Psychics) by UberSkitty :veluza::indeedee-f::medicham::raichu-alola::braviary::morpeko:
Water, Dark, Ice by Kyuss :veluza::samurott::honchkrow::spiritomb::rotom-frost::abomasnow:

DLC 1 Drop Wave had a 5 vote win!
Bulky Worms by UberSkitty :arbok::vivillon::arboliva::rotom::orthworm::swanna:

DLC 2 NFE release saw a lack of activity, so there was a default winner!
Electabuzz Team:Electabuzz: :Lurantis: :Sneasel: :Articuno: :Poliwrath: :Probopass:

UberSkitty won with a total of 5 votes!!
Webs Gravity :regirock::exeggutor::sneasel::vikavolt::passimian::dugtrio:

Code_Error_ won with a total of 4 votes!
:tornadus::toxicroak::wo-chien::magmortar::bruxish::granbull:

competitiveZero won with a total of 5 votes!
Mono Normal :tauros::snorlax::dunsparce::farigiraf::dodrio::arboliva:

Secret Fighting Spam by E4 Bruno Mars :glastrier::hoopa::wo-chien::mesprit::virizion::regirock: won with 3 votes!

Last edited:

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Since its only the first week, lets start off with something simple.

Build a team around a B- or below ranked Pokemon.

Basically, simply build a team that is mainly built around Pokémon B- rank or below on the Viability Rankings. You can build around a B-, C, or Unranked Pokémon! And yes, only one of your mons has to be below B-. The other can be anything you want! let your creativity go wild!

Please get your teams due by Friday the 12th, 11:59pm -4 so we can start voting on the teams! Good luck, and happy building!

Last edited:
hazards catch 22

Spidops @ Leftovers

Ability: Stakeout

Tera Type: Steel

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

-sticky web

- Leech Life

- Silk Trap

- Assurance

Gabite @ Eviolite

Ability: Rough Skin

Tera Type: Rock

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Impish Nature

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Stealth Rock

- Dragon Tail

Vespiquen @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Toxic Spikes

- Roost

- U-turn

- Spikes

Misdreavus @ Eviolite

Ability: Levitate

Tera Type: Dark

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

-Nasty Plot

- Pain Split

- Shadow Ball

- Icy Wind

Dachsbun @ Leftovers

Ability: Well-Baked Body

Tera Type: Ground

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature

- Wish

- Protect

- Body Press

- Stomping Tantrum

Honchkrow @ Power Herb

Ability: Moxie

Tera Type: Flying

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Thief

- Sky Attack

- Acrobatics

- U-turn

The fundamental idea of this team is to create situations in which the opponent really doesn’t want to switch out, and really doesn’t want to stay in. Things such as Toxic spikes or perish song force mons out While other hazards and other factors make you want to stay in.

THE TEAM;

Spidops:

Spidops is the mon chosen to build around in this team, and is perfect for the role as he fulfils a lot of unique criteria. He has access to sticky web, a better form of protect, the ability stakeout, a recovering move and the move assurance, all of which culminate in this mon. Sticky web is an incredible hazard that lets us be ahead apart from spidops who doesn’t really want to be. Leech life is the main form of stab and is valuable to us in that it prolongs the game. Silk trap plus leftovers may seem odd on a mon with a weakness to rocks, but dops doesn’t switch out much. Finally, assurance plus stakeout is a deadly combo, where you get hit for double damage if you go for an attack and get hit with double damage if you attempt to switch out. It also hits misdreavous, the premier ghost type of the tier who’s also immune to toxic spikes.

gabite is one of the main attackers as well as a very synergetic mon here. Poison types and steel types want to switch into toxic spikes, as they are immune to it, and in poisons case even remove them. Gabite takes advantage of this weakness in the team and turns it into a strength with his stab earthquakes. Stone edge hits flying types that are also immune to toxic spikes, and dragon tail forces a switch if somehow a mon manages to be comfortable with staying in.

Vespiqueen is the toxic spiker and pivot/wall. We don’t need it to do much damage as toxic spikes is doing the damage for us.

misdreavous has the role of spinblockong both Carkol and Quaxwell while being a solid attacker. Nasty plot is useful for situations in which the opponent really wants to switch out due to toxic damage, and is otherwise a good alt wincon. Icy wind hits the defogger of the tier, decidueyes pre-evolution.

Daschbun is one of the bulkiest wish passers in the tier, and has access to the ability well-baked-body. Some of the more observant among you may have noticed that both spidops and Vespiqueen are Tera steel. It’s only natural, as there’s no reason to throw out a ground or fighting move against them, and it protects from rock and flying moves. However, there is the pesky fire problem which is where daschbun comes in. Wishtect is also very good, as one of the ways to beat it is switching out. AKA one of the things you don’t want to do against this team. Tera ground stomping tantrum is for greedy poison and steel types thinking they can get in on it and potentially remove hazards for free.

Honchrow set looks wild as all hell but it fits perfectly with the team. With the gutting of knock off distributuon, the only remaining valid knock off users don’t fit on the team. That’s where thief comes in. Honchrow as it stands has godawful dark stab, peaking at night smash, and thief is a mere drop of 10 base power lower while also stealing the heavy duty boots that would otherwise wreck the team. Sky attack allows honchrow to get the drop on the opponent which might be what it needs to start a potential moxie sweep, and also clears the item slot for dangerous acrobatics and thiefs. Honchrows main problem with a moxie sweep, but, coming full circle, we have spidops with its sticky web as speed control allowing honchrow to go ham.

hazards catch 22

Spidops @ Leftovers

Ability: Stakeout

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

-sticky web

- Leech Life

- Silk Trap

- Assurance

Gabite @ Eviolite

Ability: Rough Skin

Tera Type: Rock

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Impish Nature

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Stealth Rock

- Dragon Tail

Vespiquen @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Toxic Spikes

- Roost

- U-turn

- Spikes

Misdreavus @ Eviolite

Ability: Levitate

Tera Type: Dark

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

-Nasty Plot

- Pain Split

- Shadow Ball

- Icy Wind

Dachsbun @ Leftovers

Ability: Well-Baked Body

Tera Type: Ground

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature

- Wish

- Protect

- Body Press

- Stomping Tantrum

Honchkrow @ Power Herb

Ability: Moxie

Tera Type: Flying

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Thief

- Sky Attack

- Acrobatics

- U-turn

The fundamental idea of this team is to create situations in which the opponent really doesn’t want to switch out, and really doesn’t want to stay in. Things such as Toxic spikes or perish song force mons out While other hazards and other factors make you want to stay in.

THE TEAM;

Spidops:

Spidops is the mon chosen to build around in this team, and is perfect for the role as he fulfils a lot of unique criteria. He has access to sticky web, a better form of protect, the ability stakeout, a recovering move and the move assurance, all of which culminate in this mon. Sticky web is an incredible hazard that lets us be ahead apart from spidops who doesn’t really want to be. Leech life is the main form of stab and is valuable to us in that it prolongs the game. Silk trap plus leftovers may seem odd on a mon with a weakness to rocks, but dops doesn’t switch out much. Finally, assurance plus stakeout is a deadly combo, where you get hit for double damage if you go for an attack and get hit with double damage if you attempt to switch out. It also hits misdreavous, the premier ghost type of the tier who’s also immune to toxic spikes.

gabite is one of the main attackers as well as a very synergetic mon here. Poison types and steel types want to switch into toxic spikes, as they are immune to it, and in poisons case even remove them. Gabite takes advantage of this weakness in the team and turns it into a strength with his stab earthquakes. Stone edge hits flying types that are also immune to toxic spikes, and dragon tail forces a switch if somehow a mon manages to be comfortable with staying in.

Vespiqueen is the toxic spiker and pivot/wall. We don’t need it to do much damage as toxic spikes is doing the damage for us.

misdreavous has the role of spinblockong both Carkol and Quaxwell while being a solid attacker. Nasty plot is useful for situations in which the opponent really wants to switch out due to toxic damage, and is otherwise a good alt wincon. Icy wind hits the defogger of the tier, decidueyes pre-evolution.

Daschbun is one of the bulkiest wish passers in the tier, and has access to the ability well-baked-body. Some of the more observant among you may have noticed that both spidops and Vespiqueen are Tera steel. It’s only natural, as there’s no reason to throw out a ground or fighting move against them, and it protects from rock and flying moves. However, there is the pesky fire problem which is where daschbun comes in. Wishtect is also very good, as one of the ways to beat it is switching out. AKA one of the things you don’t want to do against this team. Tera ground stomping tantrum is for greedy poison and steel types thinking they can get in on it and potentially remove hazards for free.

Honchrow set looks wild as all hell but it fits perfectly with the team. With the gutting of knock off distributuon, the only remaining valid knock off users don’t fit on the team. That’s where thief comes in. Honchrow as it stands has godawful dark stab, peaking at night smash, and thief is a mere drop of 10 base power lower while also stealing the heavy duty boots that would otherwise wreck the team. Sky attack allows honchrow to get the drop on the opponent which might be what it needs to start a potential moxie sweep, and also clears the item slot for dangerous acrobatics and thiefs. Honchrows main problem with a moxie sweep, but, coming full circle, we have spidops with its sticky web as speed control allowing honchrow to go ham.
You can also go perish trap on misdreavous as the team enjoys both the perish and the trap

this might be cheating a bit since i already posted it in the bazaar a few days ago, but it's fun and features two mons in b- rank or below (spidops in b- and banette in c) so yeah

:honchkrow::spidops::tinkatuff::banette::skuntank::basculin-blue-striped:
the idea is to spread as much para+knock off as possible to facilitate a late-game sweep for power herb tera ground honchkrow, which is stupidly good once you set everything up for it. physdef resttalk banette is a very underrated spinblocker on webs teams, spidops isn't nearly as good as masquerain as a webs setter in general but the role compression with spikes comes in very handily here and stakeout first impression is very fun. np skunk is super good and also criminally underused, it's super easy to set up with it (esp with so many ppl automatically assuming it to be physical and wasting a turn on wisping it) and it consistently breaks one or two mons in every game.

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
Swords Dance Charizard + Pincurchin Hazard Stack
:xy/charizard: :xy/pincurchin: :xy/misdreavus: :xy/lumineon: :xy/indeedee-f: :xy/skuntank: click sprites for importable
The B- rank mon in question here is Pincurchin, why Pincurchin? Well it's honestly been my favourite spiker to use in this tier and I just find that its qualities are actually useful in this tier. Electric immunity thanks to Lightning Rod and a defensive pokemon that has reliable recovery so it's always able to stay around.

I would say the teambuilding process did not begin with Pincurchin but begun with SD Charizard. Zard is one of our latest additions to the tier and it has quite a bit of set versatility. I had already attempted special attacking sets and I wanted to delve into physical sets. Belly Drum was not considered since I realistically don't want my zard coming in at 50 if I face opposing hazard stack teams and DD generally just sounds like it hits nothing hard. SD came in the middle, it's obviously not +6 level attack but SD is able to use like tera electric to ohko quaxwell at +2 and I'm satisfied with that. Only issue I feel with this team is lack of Stealth Rock but we'll get around it.

:charizard:
Like I said in the above paragraph, Zard is the staple of this team with the Swords Dance set. You have solid coverage already in Flare Blitz + Earthquake and you can fit Thunder Punch to hit defensive Waters harder like Lumineon and Quaxwell. It's also here so you aren't walled by other Charizard lmao. Now Zard has some interesting tera options, Electric or Ground. Tera Ground is nice because having a strong STAB in Earthquake can fold a lot of offence at +2 and I decided to do Tera Electric for 2 main reasons. 1 is to nuke Quaxwell at +2 and the second one prevents me from being revenge killed easily by Basculin's Aqua Jet.

:pincurchin:
I am a fan of Pincurchin Spikes. I won't say an outlandish statement like it's the best spiker in the tier but I do really prefer it over Vespiquen and I feel Frogadier fits on only some of my teams. Like I said earlier, it's an electric immunity that doesn't suffer from the issue of being blown up by Tera Blast Ice and actually has longevity thanks to Recover. Like every other Electric in this tier, it can threaten the grounds but isn't necessarily reliant on tera to do so since it has Surf/Liquidation and with Tera, can remove its ground weakness and deal with Dugtrio and Gabite easier. It's not too hard to get in if its spdef since it can come in on things like Houndoom's Dark Pulse and especially Raichu which gives it free opportunity to Spike up.

:misdreavus:
Come on, it's Misdreavus. You're running hazard stack, you need your resident Ghost-type of the tier. Makes sure Quaxwell does not Spin away the hazards Pincurchin sets. This one is pretty self-explanatory I feel but overall, Misdreavus is a solid defensive mon in this tier and is essential for this playstyle to function.

:lumineon:
Lumineon stocks are high, one of the best Charizard checks in the tier and generally checks the other fires as well. Pairs well with Pincurchin thanks to the Electric immunity. Slow U-turn can also get in its teammates easier and Encore can stop setup sweeping attempts.

:indeedee-f:
I usually forget to add speed control to my hazard stack teams and I felt like I needed a special attacking scarfer and what's better than Indeedee-F? Thanks to activating Psychic Terrain, its damage output is quite high, has Trick to disrupt defensive pokemon and has Healing Wish to assist with the rest of the team's longevity.

:skuntank:
Skuntank + Misdreavus just works well together and since I have a solid defensive core already, Skuntank can go all out offensive. It can also assist with Toxic Spikes which I don't like Pincurchin wasting a moveslot on.

Falinks Triple Offence
:Falinks: :Lycanroc-Midnight: :Perrserker::Misdreavus::Quaxwell::Gabite:
:Falinks:
Falinks is the pokemon I chose to build this team around (B- as of current viability rankings) because it looks like a funny guy and I've been meaning to try it out recently. The aim of this Falinks set is to get it in on something that cannot threaten it out mid-late game, setup an omniboost with No Retreat and sweep with it's coverage moves and tera dark. Falinks is a surprisingly capable setup sweeper, and although it does need support to be fully effective, it was pretty great and surprised me it was only B-. The main issues with this set is that it has a lot of trouble breaking through healthy fairy types, is very weak to status moves and will need a fair amount of chip damage to fully sweep, so these will need to be eliminated with help from it's allies.
:Lycanroc-Midnight:
Lycanroc-M was the one of the first pokemon that came to mind that I wanted to pair with Falinks. It is extremely fast when scarfed and poses an immediate threat to the squishier pokemon in the tier, threatening an instant OHKO on flying types that would usually cause Falinks trouble. Lycanroc-M's main purpose is to open up opportunities for it's teammates by chipping walls and vital pieces of the opponents core. Although it is mainly a secondary threat to Falinks, it can threaten a full sweep itself if your opponent lets you get too much chip damage.
:Perrserker:
Perrserker serves as the teams main fairy type counter, with iron head landing an OHKO on max defence Dachsbun and a 2HKO on Tinkatuff. It still hits very hard with iron head on neutral targets though, and you shouldn't be afraid to use it on threats like opposing Gogoat or Skuntank. Sleep talk helps Perrserker act as an effective Lilligant check, switching in on the sleep powder and OHKOing it with 2/3 of it's moves, with play rough hitting it for 84% minimum. Tera dragon allows it to resist both Lilligant's tera blast fire and giga drain, whilst getting rid of Perrserker's ground weakness too.
:Misdreavus:
Misdreavus is what I would say is currently the best pokemon in the tier currently, and for very good reason. It is the most prominent spinblocker in the tier, spreads burn very easily, and has sets that either give it a very strong offensive presence or make it a bulky ground immune burn spreader with recovery. All of these reasons made missy a no-brainer in the teambuilder, as it is simply very flexible and reliable. There wasn't really a specific reason in mind when choosing missy for the team, but I decided to go with the standard defensive set with thunderbolt for hitting Quaxwell.
:Quaxwell:
Quaxwell was also a pretty obvious choice for the team, being one of the few hazard removers in the tier and a much needed fire and water resist for the team. The set itself is fairly standard, slotting out Brave Bird for Encore to mess with setup pokemon and allow Falinks to get in. Nothing much to say except that it was a reliable spinner and did it's job on the team.
:Gabite:
Unlike the last two team slots, this final pokemon changed a lot throughout the teambuilding process, some noteworthy mentions including sticky webs Masquerain for speed support or Tinkatuff for a strong defensive core. However, none of the options proved consistent enough and I eventually landed on Gabite. It can set up rocks, tank opposing physical hits well and threteans out Tinkatuff, Skuntank and Raichu, three pokemon that have pretty great matchups into the remainder of my team. It's eq also takes out steel and rock resists for Lycanroc and Perrserker for added offensive pressure.
:Falinks:
+1 252 Atk Tera Dark Falinks Tera Blast vs. 216 HP / 220 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 246-290 (78 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Tera Dark Falinks Tera Blast vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 330-390 (113.4 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Tera Dark Falinks Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Eviolite Gabite: 175-207 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Tera Dark Falinks Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 339-400 (97.6 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Tera Dark Falinks Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tinkatuff: 169-199 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Tera Dark Falinks Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dachsbun: 80-95 (25.1 - 29.8%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Adaptability Basculin Wave Crash vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Falinks: 138-164 (50.9 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Basculin Wave Crash vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Falinks: 206-244 (76 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:Lycanroc-Midnight:
252 Atk Lycanroc-Midnight Stone Edge vs. 216 HP / 220 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 112-133 (35.5 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Lycanroc-Midnight Stone Edge vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 153-180 (52.5 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Lycanroc-Midnight Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Flapple: 216-256 (76.8 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Lycanroc-Midnight Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sawsbuck: 320-378 (106.3 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Lycanroc-Midnight Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Masquerain: 684-804 (243.4 - 286.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Indeedee-F Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lycanroc-Midnight in Psychic Terrain: 174-205 (55.9 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tera Rock Lycanroc-Midnight Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Indeedee-F: 284-336 (101 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:Perrserker:
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dachsbun: 326-386 (102.5 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tinkatuff: 171-202 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker Iron Head vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 252-297 (86.5 - 102%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 345-406 (99.4 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gogoat: 364-429 (80.8 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Meditite's Friends!
(this is def not me having no idea if this is offense, bulky offense, or what)

:meditite::houndoom::golduck::dachsbun::dartrix::raichu: (click for paste)

Meditite is my favorite mon in this tier, and is conveniently unranked. With scarf, you are facing down a close combat with 120BP from a mon with like 358 attack and 360 speed, and that's not something people tend to prepare for. The idea is to lead Golduck, who is an incredible anti-lead, cause chaos with Houndoom, Dachsbun, Dartrix, and Raichu, and clean up with Meditite.

Going into more detail, Meditite does everything described above, in addition to being the primary tera abuser just to take its absurd power to new levels.

Houndoom is here as an answer to ghost types. This team's first draft was back when Haunter was here, but it still adds a lot as a Misdreavus check. I think Sucker Punch should be mandatory on Houndoom because of how much easier it makes cleaning off low HP mons. Houndoom has a decent attack with it too!

Golduck's job is to deny hazards, or to make your opponent cry when you NP and rain dance as they set hazards and don't one-shot you. The EVs are to play into Golduck's jack-of-all-trades niche- the speed outspeeds scarf base 95s like Houndoom in rain, maxing SpA, and dumping the rest in HP to improve bulk. Most hazard setters cannot stop the Golduck sweep, but be aware of Dragon Tail tera water Gabite, which I may or may not have lost against.

Dachsbun is an incredible physical wall with pretty reliable recovery. It really just does Dachsbun things like check Houndoom and any physical attacker.

Dartrix is here because I still lost to Basculins spamming wave crash and any amount of toxic spikes. If you scout a probably choice locked wave crash with Dachsbun, Dartrix is a very safe switch, and threatens to OHKO with leaf storm. It also defogs.

Finally, I'm not too sure with this last team slot. I switched to this from tera electric Crabominable, but I think Raichu's speed and access to a pivoting move helps with the team immensely. Another water attacker after Golduck isn't bad either.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9pu-1861646877 (shows power of Golduck, Meditite cleans and prob should have tera'd)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9pu-1861640937 (v. trick room)

This uh, is also my only team at the moment... so enjoy!

Last edited:
Jumpluff Screens + Trick Room Offense
:Jumpluff: :Crabominable: :Rabsca::Houndoom::Perrserker::Honchkrow:

The main idea of this team is to take advantage of screens by using wall breakers and mons that can string together ko's. It also baits people into wasting turns on setting hazards while having 4 boots users.

:Jumpluff: Sets screens, pivots, catches set ups with encore. Jumpluff has been a pretty serviceable lead for me, after reflect or light screen it usually takes even super effective hits quite well. Most leads that threaten to ko through screens are slower(life orb dugtrio being the exception) so Jumpluff can u-turn out if it really has to.

:Crabominable: Tera Electric lets this thing set up on most anything behind screens. I am considering dropping bulk up or sub for a 3rd attacking move(thunder punch/eq), but for now this set hits most things. Overall this is the main threat and tera target on this team.

:Rabsca: This pairs with Honchkrow as a late game sweeper, with its OTR set(that I stole from rien)it only has to worry about Camerupt and sucker punches from skunk or krow. The way I've built the team allows Crab to also take advantage of trick room earlier in the game. Perrserker also takes advantage of trick room in some cases as a tertiary wall breaker.

:Houndoom: Houndoom takes the role of Missy check, it also beats a lot of the special walls in the tier, stuff like vespiquen, tink, and gogoat. Getting a nasty plot off is a consistent win condition, Jumpluff's fast u-turns open up a lot of opportunities for the doom.

:Perrserker: Perrserker is my main defensive pivot when screens aren't up, and because of this I'm considering swapping to standard rock setting perrserker. Getting trapped in on something you cant 2hko with iron head or cc feels bad, rocks also provide needed chip so it might be worth. As far as the band set, banded u-turn does a huge chunk to a lot of the PU roster. CC/Iron head are also very good coverage and Seed bomb is my main way of hitting quaxwell and lumineon. Overall I'd say Perrserker is the shakiest mon on this team, but it also does its job as a defensive pivot very well.

:Honchkrow: I'm also unsure of this mon, scarfed Honch sometimes picks up 4ko's but it also suffers from not being able to come in on a team that relies on pivoting around. Moxie is exciting when it turns on but a lot of the time I feel like I would prefer super luck honestly. The speed tier does feel decent though, I don't think there are many things that I have struggled to outspeed.

The main struggle I've had is the fact that I don't have all the coverage I would like. Water types and Fire types specifically are an issue. It's hard for me to hit water types and hard for me to deal with fire and flying types on defense. Teams that don't care about my screens or can wait them out easily are also annoying, overall this is definitely an offensive team that requires not throwing your major threats away to bad switches or unfavorable 1 for 1's. For example I found myself tera fighting my perrserker to steal a kill off of enemy houndoom/pyroar, but trades like these can end up being bad in the long run as you're losing your defensive anchor both by tera'ing steel typing away and taking a hit. I think there are still some upgrades and changes to be made but this is the team so far.

Last edited:
Beartic + Golduck rain
:beartic: :lumineon: :golduck: :gogoat: :tinkatuff: :Indeedee-F:
Well I looked at all the B- rank and below mons and decided beartic seemed fun to build around. Poor guy was barred from ZU so gotta give him something somewhere. Beartic is a pretty fun rain abuser with that juicy 130 attack and swords dance. Unfortunately all that attack comes at a price, with 50 speed beartic gets outsped by most relevant scarfers even with a swift swim boost, and it can find it hard to get that swords dance boost, with its ice typing making it pretty vulnerable even with its pretty decent bulk, and it really hates getting burned or paralyzed also if my sweep ends because I miss icicle crash one more time I'm gonna flip. However, when the stars align and you do get that sweep, its really fun.

:beartic: Obviously beartic is the mon I actually built this team around, and I pretty much said everything about it in the first paragraph. Icicle crash is your stab move, close combat is good coverage, swords dance lets you set up for the sweep, and crunch is because I'm sick of misdreavus, although beartic has a lot of options for the last slot, with aqua jet probably being the best option for killing scarfers that would otherwise outspeed it, particularly lycanroc, but I opted out of it since it has anti-synergy with the last mon on the team. Tera fire is a kinda weird tera but the burn immunity is really nice, letting beartic turn some missy sets into setup fodder, and turning your steel and fire weaknesses into resistances is also nice.

:lumineon: Well I need a rain setter for my rain team and lumineon stocks are up. spdef lumineon switches into the scary fire types and sets rain on them. Encore + U-Turn is a nice combo for getting your rain abusers in safely. Storm drain lets you exploit choice locked basculin although you can't really threaten them at all, swift swim is an option to abuse your own rain but lumineon isn't very good offensively and I'd rather have the slower U-Turn.

:golduck: Golduck is your actually good rain abuser and what wins you most of your games. Its really fast under rain and can get very scary with Nasty plot. Surf and ice beam give good coverage with tera grass tera blast flipping your weaknesses on its head and letting you blow past water types, namely lumineon. Golduck does get grass knot but none of the waters in the tier are particularly heavy so it kinda sucks I found. Life orb gives it more power but I'm not fully sold on it, I often find the sweep ending early because of recoil and I would really appreciate boots, mostly for webs. Still, easily the scariest mon here.

:gogoat: Well its a rain team and I needed a grass type, and gogoat is pretty good. Big fan of Assult vest gogoat, its a good special wall that does a good job of checking the tiers electrics, mainly raichu who is otherwise a big problem for this team. Set is pretty standard for the most part, basically just whats on the strategy dex, but with play rough in the last slot which is really nice given how prevalent gabite is, and donking the occasional flapple is also nice.

:tinkatuff: The rest of the mons on the team we're all pretty set in stone for the most part with some slight set changes here and there, I fluctuated between tera fire boots beartic or lum berry tera water, but these last 2 mons were changed around quite a bit. This was a gabite for a while since I kinda just slap gabite on every team I make, but I thought tinkatuff was a better rocker for this team actually. Rocks are good for obvious reasons, but being able to knock of eviolite mons and sometimes scarfers makes beartic and golducks jobs much easier. It also has a great defensive profile, its main issue in the current meta is its fire weakness but thats what lumineon is for. Its tera water but I literally never tera'd it, its not worth it usually.

:indeedee-F: This last mon started as a skuntank, then it was a raichu, but I eventually landed on indeedee for the last slot. I wanted a scarfer for speed control while rain isn't up, and I felt like I needed another special attacker, and indeedee is pretty good at both of those things. Psychic terrain is also nice to have if you can have it and your rain abuser out at once, since protection from priority makes them much harder to revenge kill, mostly golduck. Trick is also nice for crippling walls and healing wish lets you bring one of your rain abusers back in for round 2, or honestly healing wish into lumineon to let it set rain again is pretty good and what I end up using it for most of the time. Having psychic and normal/ground stabs is kinda annoying when skunktank and misdreavus are everywhere but its still does its job, and tbh protection from skuntank sucker punch alone justifies it vs the skunk.

(I didn't really get any great replays to show off while using this team sadly, and I probably won't have much time to play with it for a while, but if I happen to have the time to play and get a good replay I'll post it below)

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
love me some dunnysparce!
:dunsparce::skuntank::misdreavus::pyroar::gabite::frogadier:
:ss/dunsparce:
starts off simple with a body slam set to spread para and roost off the damage, and is also great at tanking special hits. could be bite over eq for paraflinch shenanigans if youre real and if you want to hit misdreavus, which the included set cannot do. tera ghost to blank fighting-type attacks like perrserker cc but i could also see fairy to stop dragon tail or poison to neutralize toxic while still resisting fighting. poison could also be useful because ive tended to switch out and back in a few times throughout my battles in testing, so you could absorb tspike

:ss/skuntank:
the actual tspike and toxic absorber for dunsparce, and just an all-around great mon. can spread toxic of its own to aid in a dunsparce sweep, and is also a physical attacker that doesnt need to set up. sucker punch is great priority. cant go wrong with this mon rn. pretty standard choice

:ss/misdreavus:
cant go wrong with missy either! i opted for a defensive set with hex to capitalize on dunsparce spreading para with serene grace body slam and skunk laying tspike, pretty standard otherwise. appreciates skunk's dark-type to sponge dark- and ghost-type moves and dunsparce's ghost immunity, which appreciates missy's fighting immunity in return. another solid and standard pick

:ss/pyroar:
wanted a wisp absorber frankly so i chose pyroar, wasnt too much thought put into it. didnt realize until just now actually that i doubled up on normal-types but that hasnt given me any issues. trying out dark pulse just to handle opposing misdreavus a bit more reliably than an 85% accurate fire blast, since dunsparce cant touch it. i dont use it or taunt all that often quite honestly, so i could see other options like wisp or trailblaze being included. still pretty standard

:ss/gabite:
still needed a rocker and wanted a specially defensive, physical attacking mon, and gabite was an easy pick. dragon tail is nice for chip, phazing, and ideally shuffles in opposing mons to get hit with a tspike or spike (see below). still pretty standard again

:ss/frogadier:
needed speed control and wanted a final special attacker, so my options were quite slim. i ended up falling on frogadier to not only give me something to pivot, but to also lay down some spikes. synergizes super well with gabite dragon tail and with opponents trying to play around all the status im packing. usually just sets up a spike and dies though again, standard!

pretty standard stuff but here's some glimmet offense
:charizard: :misdreavus: :glimmet: :honchkrow: :basculin: :gabite:
This is the first team I made following the new drops and with Glimmet on it it just so happens to meet the criteria for this week! Going into this I wanted to make an offensive, Heavy-Duty Boots centric team with Charizard as the focal point. The goal was to ahve it match up well into the common hazard stacking teams, and in that sense I'm very happy with how it turned out!

:charizard:
This was the main pokemon I wanted to try out as of the new drops it appeared the strongest. After playing with it a bit on this team I settled with a tera ground set offensive Flame Charge set. Tera ground helps mitigate the weakness this team has to strong electrics like Rotom-Fan and Raichu, while also boosting Earthquake and making it harder to revenge kill it with rock types like Lycanroc. I think Zard is really really good and is the only one of the new drops that I'm slightly concerned about being overbearing.

:misdreavus:
Misdreavus serves as a bit of a glue option that can spread paras and burns out. The team is somewhat slow so Thunder Wave is particularly useful to have as it makes it a lot easier for my offensive threats to apply pressure. Not a whole lot to say here, Missy is S rank for a reason and it's hard to build teams without it I find.

:glimmet:
I knew early on that I wanted Glimmet on this team as I love the hazard support it provides for builds like this. I really like the Sp. Def set as it's a rare answer to fire types, and having Toxic on the team is a huge benefit. Losing to Charizard's EQ is an unfortunate development for it but deals with the other drops really well, taking advantage of Daschbun and Honchkrow to set hazards. It doesn't provide as sturdy a defensive base as Gabite does but I still think it's very good at what it does.

:honchkrow:
I wanted to use Honchkrow and scarf seemed to make sense here so on it came. I'm kind of weak to Lilligant so I feel like this team needs Insomnia to switch in on Sleep Powders. Unfortunately that means I miss out on all the Scarf Moxie fun but what can you do \o/. I went with tera dark here as Night Slash feels more spammable than flying stab and it also removes the rocks weakness. I've really liked Honchkrow as it fills a much needed role in the tier while also feeling very balanced. Scarf is great but the rocks weakness is a pain and the initial damage output simply isn't enough for me to be worried about it being unhealthy.

:basculin:
More speedy threats, I've wanted to try Boots Basculin for a while and this felt like the team for it. Instead of triple water stab I went with Taunt > Liquidation to annoy recovery pokemon like Daschbun that might be able to sit on Basc otherwise. The revenge killing power of Basc is incredible even unboosted and the speed tier is just so nice for a team like this. I've really like Boots on it and will probably be looking at that as my go-to set for it going forward, since I find it so hard to justify the other sets when our hazard control is so poor.

:gabite:
I knew I needed and electric immunity and this slot was originally Dugtrio to provide a really nice speed tier, but I found myself being too water weak so I replaced it with offensive tera dragon Gabite. This set isn't seen as much anymore but I still think it's really good at what it does, doing a good job at pressuring more defensive builds and usually at least trading into something. It's never going to outright win you a game, but it usually does enough in weakening a team to facilitate one of the other options in winning.

Issues
:rotom-fan:
Rotom-fan is really annoying to deal with, especially boots variants as it can just fire off Wisps and Volt Switches all day. I usually have to sack something like Gabite into it to try and get it in range of some of my other threats but it's not ideal. It's also really tough early game when you don't know if it's Scarf or Boots and you have to play around that.

:lilligant: Fast Set-Up Pokemon :falinks:
With the general speed tier of the team being quite low and the Scarfer being Honchkrow, the team struggles to revenge kill speed boosted pokemon like Falinks and Lilligant. Usually I have to really on Glmmet or Misdreavus for status, or potentially a tera boosted Aqua Jet or Sucker Punch from Basculin or Honchkrow respectively.​

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Get ready for some sexy Banette SpikeStack! This team was originally meant to be built around Banette+Quilladin, but it turns out Quilladin sucks so there had to be a complete makeover. After a bunch of indecisiveness and minimal actual testing, here's what I ended up with!

Banette SpikeStack
1683938078459.png1683938098038.png1683938120469.png1683942984405.png1683943007621.png1683938197681.png
click me papa!
:banette:
The mon of the hour. While generally overlooked as a spinblocker compared to Drakloak and especially Misdreavus, Banette does have some things going for it. But the most notable niche for a spikestack team is Knock Off, so you can run around Knocking Off Heavy-Duty Boots and the Eviolites of the few hazard removers. I was originally just the standard SD set, but after having suboptimal results, rien recommended I use this wacky defensive Restalk set, besides the EV spread which is by yours truly. It reaches the same Speed as my Gogoat, and is otherwise just bulky EVs with Adamant.
:skuntank:
This may come as a surprise, but Skuntank is actually really good in this meta! Tho for real it's hard to be satisfied with a team without a Poison mon to remove TSpikes, and Skuntank is by far the best option when the other options are Mareanie, Swalot, and Glimmet. It was originally used to set up TSpikes itself, but Toxic and Taunt always also options.
:frogadier:
I ended up going with Frogadier as my Spike setter, with that nice Speed and U-turn. Kinda ironically, I ended up using Switcheroo over U-turn since I often clicked Spikes rather than pivot out. Either works in that slot tho. Scarf Tera Water Hydro Pump is also really solid for cleaning up matches, assuming I hit every single one.
:raichu:
I wanted a flying resist, even if Raichu is 2HKOed by Scarf Honchkrow's Brave Bird. Pivots are always good for hazards, with all the forced switches, so I decided to go down an AoA route rather than NP. Heavy-Duty Boots were my go-to item, but I changed to Specs for more power. Raichu also helps make up for my only other fast mon being Scarf Frogadier.
:gogoat:
I'd use the goat pun, but people have just been milking it too much. Gogoat's as amazing as ever, offering a water and ground resist and Sleep Powder absorber. With Raichu not being NP, Gogoat also gives my team means of setup and can stall out Poisoned foes and stuff. The set is standard SpDef BU, with the Speed reaching 181 to creep the 180 Speed benchmark and a hypothetically Paralyzed Sneasel (tributes from TWave Banette).
:gabite:
Just your average Gabite glue, with that electric immunity, Stealth Rock, Dragon Tail, checking a bunch of random stuff, etc. Dragon Tail is especially notable for working well with hazards for obvious reasons. The set it just the one from the analysis, with the EVs changed a little to bring the Speed up to 210.

Here's another spicy version of the team!
:banette::skuntank::frogadier::ampharos::lilligant::gabite:
click me mama!

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:sneasel: :dugtrio: :rotom-fan: :quaxwell: :gogoat: :dunsparce:

Didn't want to use any scarfers for this one and Sneasel is B-, so why not. Double SD offense core or Sneasel + Dugtrio to pressure all the slower Pokemon in the tier, Tera Electric to bop stuff like Charizard and Water types and BoltBeam coverage is nice. Rotom-Fan is bulky Nasty Plot with wisp to cripple physical attatckers and spread paralysis. Spdef Quaxwell over physdef to ease the pressure off of AV gogoat to have to tera to handle Houndoom and Pyroar namely. Gogoat does a solid job in checking Electrics and other special attackers and Dunsparce is the rocker and para spreader with Tera Poison to absorb Toxic Spikes if necessary as the team is super weak to it. Apologies for the condensed description.

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Its time to vote!
Team 1: Catch Hazards 22 by Sevenor3:Spidops: :Gabite: :Vespiquen: :Misdreavus: :Dachsbun: :Honchkrow:

Team 2: Honch Paraspam Webs by rien :honchkrow::spidops::tinkatuff::banette::skuntank::basculin-blue-striped:

Team 3: Swords Dance Charizard and Pincurchin Hazard Stack by TTK :charizard: :pincurchin: :misdreavus: :lumineon: :indeedee-f: :skuntank:

Team 4: Falinks Triple Offence by SpoiledBerries :Falinks: :Lycanroc-Midnight: :Perrserker::Misdreavus::Quaxwell::Gabite:

Team 5: Meditite's Friends by LettuceLeaf07 :meditite::houndoom::golduck::dachsbun::dartrix::raichu:

Team 6: Jumpluff Screens by waterfals :Jumpluff: :Crabominable: :Rabsca::Houndoom::Perrserker::Honchkrow:

Team 7: Beatric + Golduck Rain by Morge :beartic: :lumineon: :golduck: :gogoat: :tinkatuff: :Indeedee-F:

Team 8: Love me some Dunnysparce by wooper :dunsparce::skuntank::misdreavus::pyroar::gabite::frogadier:

Team 9: Glimmet Offense by Shaneghoul :charizard: :misdreavus: :glimmet: :honchkrow: :basculin: :gabite:

Team 10: Banette Spikestack by UberSkitty :Banette: :Skuntank: :Frogadier: :Raichu: :Gogoat: :Gabite:

Team 11: SD Sneasel by TONE :sneasel: :dugtrio: :rotom-fan: :quaxwell: :gogoat: :dunsparce:

To vote, please post with the three teams that you think should win. For example, if I thought that Team 735, Team 90 and Team 129 were the best, I would post this:

Team 735, Team 90, Team 129

Voting will end this Sunday May 14th 11:59pm -4! Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)