Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
the fact someone voted to let iron bundle and flutter mane back into ou makes me question what the hell whoever on the council was thinking, because nobody in their right minds wants those two back
From what we've seen, it might have been that someone abstained, not that they voted for those menaces to actually been let in, which would by default make them not unanimous votes.

no one had experimented with it because of the obvious brokens that were right in front of them.
There was stuff that was even more broken without the need of several set up turns so they were easier to use. Talking about set up, the meta was way more offense oriented to it was way harder for Espharta to find chances to set up.

zReptar

formerly LT83AQ Lou
There was stuff that was even more broken without the need of several set up turns so they were easier to use. Talking about set up, the meta was way more offense oriented to it was way harder for Espharta to find chances to set up.
Exactly what I meant

I think :Regieleki: and :Sneasler: would be great partners in SV OU

Theres only a few scarfers / booster mons which outspeed Jolly 252 :Regieleki: - :Roaring Moon: which can threaten with EQ or Iron Head post tera (though im pretty sure stab crunch would OHKO / near ohko after hazards anyways)

Scarf :Meowscarada: is also an option, with Low Kick being a base 100 power move against Regieleki, easily ohkoing after tera ice

I guess theres some other stuff, like Scarf :Dragapult: flamethrower doing 101% minimum to 0hp / 4SpD :Regieleki: after it tera ices

I think for the reason most of the stuff outrunning regi will be dragons, and dark types, i think tera fairy could be a viable option

But i think :Sneasler: would be a great partner for :Regieleki:, as the pokemon threatens huge damage on checks like :Blissey: :Iron Treads: ,any tera fairy users :Ting-Lu: :Skeledirge: :Garganacl: and even fast threats like scarf :Meowscarada: and :Dragapult: if it gets an Unburden boost.

You could use Switcheroo to damage any special walls with a choice scarf, or use Switcheroo on a knocked off pokemon to get the unburden boost (i think thats how it works?)

:Regieleki: and :Sneasler: both get switching, and I think they’ll make a super deadly combo who cover eachothers weaknesses pretty well

p.s I think psychic teams :Indeedee: :Sneasler: :Regieleki: are gonna go crazy, you stop priority revenge killing from :Azumarill: :Kingambit: :Dragonite:

I also think Assault Vest :Magearna: stocks will go up lmao

thanks for reading, sorry if any bad grammar
Grassy glide rillaboom + Grassy Seed Sneasler is gonna go stupid hard

Nah rillaboom keeps it but only via transfer from what I am aware, and yes I saw the 10 base power nerf to glide

Basically anything that can be learned swsh onward can be transferred without removal
I might be wrong, but I'm on the side that understood that even if the mons can learn the moves Home will wipe them anyway so there wouldn't be a way to learn them back until DLCs.

personally I haven't found much issues with both urshifu forms from non stop testing for the last 2 days. especially for dark it is extremely oppressive and there really isn't any switchins to +2 tera dark wicked blow or surging strikes but apparently for the home meta 322 speed is too slow
not much I can say except its easy to revenge kill with faster stuff BUT
I do think that they require a suspect because not everything is confirmed yet
and if the zamas are staying (hopefully they are tbh) then urshifu won't be too much of a problem since from experience zama-c takes 60 from +2 tera water surging strikes and im sure wicked will do less
other answers such as Tauros water is amazing too since it kills 2 birds with 1 stone in correlation to walling Chien pao and urshifu at the same time with intimidate and great typing

just use faster mons or booster energy
if anything its arguable that rs is better than single rn since its offensive typing for the meta RN is better considering the amount of fairy spammers and zama c and magearna's literally everywhere
Alright, let's see how many of those faster mons can tank priority from the Shifus, and we may as well go +2 Life Orb Tera because you left that option open with the Swords Dancers:

:Enamorus: Enamorus
252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Enamorus: 99-117 (34.2 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Enamorus: 199-234 (68.8 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tera Dark Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Enamorus: 265-312 (91.6 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Enamorus: 114-136 (39.4 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Enamorus: 227-269 (78.5 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Enamorus: 304-359 (105.1 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(252 SpA Choice Specs Enamorus Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 360-424 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

Enamorus can tank Sucker Punch unless it's +2 Tera Dark LO, and she has a 50% chance of falling in that case. It's a similar story for Aqua Jet, except she guaranteed falls to +2 Tera Water LO.

:Iron Valiant: Iron Valiant
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tera Dark Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 108-127 (37.2 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 94-110 (32.4 - 37.9%) -- 95.8% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 187-220 (64.4 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 250-294 (86.2 - 101.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Iron Valiant performs quite well against both Shifus: Sucker Punch is an obvious joke no matter how boosted it gets, while Iron Valiant has a slim chance of being OHKOed by Jolly +2 Tera Water LO Aqua Jet. Again, though, this emphasizes how paramount not switching Iron Valiant into attacks is.

:Walking Wake: Walking Wake
252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 161-191 (47 - 55.8%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 321-380 (93.8 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tera Dark Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 429-507 (125.4 - 148.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 68-79 (19.8 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO
(244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 462-544 (135.4 - 159.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

Walking Wake obviously tanks any boosted Aqua Jet but is already at risk of being OHKOed by +2 LO Sucker Punch. Urshifu-S Tera Darks to seal that OHKO.

:Meowscarada: Meowscarada
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meowscarada: 199-234 (67.9 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tera Dark Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meowscarada: 265-313 (90.4 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meowscarada: 168-198 (57.3 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Meowscarada tanks boosted Aqua Jet quite well but risks being OHKOed by +2 Tera Dark LO Sucker Punch.

:Greninja: Greninja
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 207-243 (72.6 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tera Dark Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 276-325 (96.8 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 173-204 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 346-408 (101.4 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
(252 SpA Choice Specs Protean Greninja Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 626-738 (183.5 - 216.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

Greninja similarly tanks boosted Aqua Jet and +2 LO Sucker Punch reasonably well, but it gets OHKOed most of the time by +2 Tera Dark LO Sucker Punch.

Tl;dr: While the Shifus can be contained as long as they cannot get up a Swords Dance, one wrong move and a Shifu who Teras claims both the sacrifice and sometimes the prospective revenge killer that normally outspeeds.

I might be wrong, but I'm on the side that understood that even if the mons can learn the moves Home will wipe them anyway so there wouldn't be a way to learn them back until DLCs.
The Serebii tweet doesn't really suggest this, however there was a leaker who said exactly what you said but then backed it up with an "Unconfirmed." The tweet was deleted an hour later which makes me think that wasn't the case. We won't know for sure till Tuesday, though it's not extremely meta chaning anyway. The biggest things are a few Scald users, grassy glide, and defog distribution on stuff like Zapdos Moltres and Dnite

The move learner existing makes this idea sketchy though, the feature is in HOME itself.

The Serebii tweet doesn't really suggest this, however there was a leaker who said exactly what you said but then backed it up with an "Unconfirmed." The tweet was deleted an hour later which makes me think that wasn't the case. We won't know for sure till Tuesday, though it's not extremely meta chaning anyway. The biggest things are a few Scald users, grassy glide, and defog distribution on stuff like Zapdos Moltres and Dnite
What leaker said this?

The move learner existing makes this idea sketchy though, the feature is in HOME itself.
I simply don't trust GF anymore so I'm bias to think that it is a direct nerf to those. We have seen that before with how they destroyed stuff like Gale wings or Thundurus-I, or the best example Dark void even if they made sure it couldn't be used in VGC, from one gen to another so taking Glide from Rilla seems like something they would do. The same for the other nerfs.

We have seen that before with how they destroyed stuff like Gale wings or Thundurus-I, or the best example Dark void even if they made sure it couldn't be used in VGC, from one gen to another so taking Glide from Rilla seems like something they would do. The same for the other nerfs.
That isn't comparable to what people have suggested about moveset wipes though. They nerfed GW Talonflame because it was too good in VGC, Thundurus-I was directly responsible for several changes because it highlighted balance issues in the game. Those are balance changes.

They nerfed Grassy Glide already because of Rilla. If they wanted to keep it from using the move, transfer moves haven't been allowed in official play for a while. So Rilla getting GG through the move learner still wouldn't let it gave GG for VGC.

I think Urshifu-RS is gonna be punching it big when it comes back to SV, though it may need to wait for its Single Strike brother to get banned first. It got two direct buffs when coming into SV, those being Punching Gloves and SD. Punching Gloves has the benefit of removing contact from its punching moves (namely Surging Strikes) and slightly powering them up & is better on Urshifu-RS since Surging Strikes is multi-hit. Now, I think it is debatable whether Punching Gloves is an upgrade compared to Protective Pads since it doesn't affect a few of its other Moves like CC and 10% power boost isn't that much. That being said, the power boost translates to letting it do roughly 6 - 10% more on some key attacks and is notable enough in a few scenarios.

Without Punching Gloves:
  • +2 252 Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowking-Galar on a critical hit: 309-369 (78.4 - 93.6%) -- approx. 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant on a critical hit: 201-243 (69.5 - 84%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
  • +2 252 Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos on a critical hit: 333-396 (86.9 - 103.3%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252 Atk Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian on a critical hit: 306-360 (84.5 - 99.4%) -- approx. 2HKO
  • +2 252 Atk Tera Electric Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 272-324 (89.4 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
  • +2 252 Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 322-380 (74.5 - 87.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes
With Punching Gloves:
  • +2 252 Atk Punching Glove Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowking-Galar on a critical hit: 345-408 (87.5 - 103.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Punching Glove Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant on a critical hit: 228-270 (78.8 - 93.4%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
  • +2 252 Atk Punching Glove Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos on a critical hit: 378-444 (98.6 - 115.9%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252 Atk Punching Glove Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian on a critical hit: 336-396 (92.8 - 109.3%) -- approx. 56.3% chance to OHKO
  • +2 252 Atk Punching Glove Tera Electric Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 302-356 (99.3 - 117.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • +2 252 Atk Punching Glove Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 356-420 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes
Overall, its not much, but additional damage on its main move while removing contact does make it slightly better at dealing damage. Additional damage on some other key moves like Ice Punch and Thunder Punch is also pretty nice. That being said, the damage boost isn't that big + it doesn't affect other moves like Close Combat and Aqua Jet, so I'd argue its more of a side-grade to protective pads. No, the real buff is Swords Dance, which lets Urshifu smoke most of its slower checks like Zapdos that don't run Speed investment, phy def Galarian Slowking, and Toxpex. Swords Dance also makes Urshifu-RS more difficult to revenge kill since faster mons like Volcarona or Valiant will be getting KO'd by Aqua Jet at lower ranges. I think Urshifu-RS will be a great Tera user too. Tera Water will likely be the go-to since it buffs Surging Strikes and Aqua Jet's power to stupid levels, but I think other options like Tera Electric will be useful as well to smash common switch-ins like Toxapex with Thunder Punch & give Urshifu-RS better MUs against Flying and Electric-types.

I think the current metagame of SV is a bit more hospitible to Urshifu-RS's strength's. It smashes the top two Pokemon, Great Tusk and Kingambit, and has solid MUs vs other key mons like Ting-Lu. Slowking-G is also going to be a nice upgrade as a partner for Future Sight + slow pivoting support compared to Vanilla Slowking since it has much better defensive synergy with Urshifu-RS, notably resisting Fairy and Grass moves, not sharing weaknesses to Grass and Electric moves, and luring in a lot of Pokemon Urshifu-RS does will against like Ting-Lu, Kingambit, Great Tusk, and Heatran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)