Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smogon trying really hard to make stall the go to strat again. Record number of unaware pokemon in the tier, ban anything that makes the fat walls cry. If defensive pokemon can't just block everything, lets see what's the next offensive pokmon in the tier to be banned.
"Oh so you play stall? Name me everything that breaks it”
NP HYDREIGON
MIXED VALIANT
CINDERACE WITH COURT CHANGE
AOA VALIANT
TAUNT HYDREIGON
CHOICE BANDED BAX
TRICK
ELECTRIC TERRAIN
(yes I actually do main stall)

Last edited:
Best stored power user is hatterene.

just find a good skeledirge switch in to go with it, and you’ll be surprised how efficient it is at dismantling all stall except Tera dark unaware or Tera dark blissey.

it’s not a meme, it was going toe-to-toe with espathra and coming out on top when it was still in the meta. Tera water allows it to beat threats like gholdengo.

Quick tip:

Use stored power with nuzzle
Use psyshock with mystical fire

justification:

nuzzle for utility, stored power gives you enough base power to beat corviknight, gholdengo, etc. you can always Tera and sweep later against the paralysed kingambit and other switchins. Nuzzle is the only answer you have to fire/Tera fire types.

mystical fire is less general utility against some switch ins but can dent kingambit/corv/gholdengo. So psyshock does immediate damage to everything else.

Last edited:
glad to see OU players finally having to use their brains when teambuilding. proof of a good meta fr
Here is the suspect test song council, now who wants to suspect gargnacl
Ban pao and espathra for a healthier metagame they said. Seems healthy to me but we are all playing a meta that is literally less than 24 hours and people want to suspect garganacl? Lol not satisfied I see.

Last edited:
I don't have time to make a serious post but on the topic of Amoonguss it is worth mentioning that Slowking's Future Sight does 65% minimum. There are quite a lot of strong physical or mixed breakers that can benefit from Future Sight support. I won't list them all because the strategy is frankly self-explanatory and has already been around for years lmao, a interesting application however is that the snow will increase Baxcalibur's defense before it teras, even if I don't think Bax is necessarily the most effective Future Sight abuser.

Imma be real here, I don’t think amoongus is good enough to warrant multiple pages of discussion on how to counter it. It’s decent enough to see play, but not really meta defining as of right now

Stored power hattrene sounds sick though, I really want to try that out

Ban pao and espathra for a healthier metagame they said. Seems healthy to me but we are all playing a meta that is literally less than 24 hours and people want to suspect garganacl? Lol not satisfied I see.
people have wanted garg gone since before the pao suspect lol. seems like an actually good mon to suspect since the issue is a lot more contentious with it, but it’s not like this is news

Did the Chien-Pao ban leave a Choice Band Wallbreaker-sized hole in your teams? Here are what I imagine will be the best replacements in Mr. Pao's absence. To show how powerful these Pokemon are relative to Chien-Pao, I'll show this calc of Pao's banded Crunch Vs Toxapex

252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 151-178 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

:Dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Dragon/Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force/Tera Blast
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Pros:
  • With Pao gone, Adamant/Modest Dragapult outspeeds the entire unboosted tier
  • Dragon STAB is pretty spammable given neither Fairy in the tier wants to switch into Ghost moves
  • Pult tends to bait in Special walls like Clodsire or Slowking which get nearly OHKO'd by Banded Darts
  • Banded Darts counters Sash leads which are fairly common on more offensive teams these days
  • U-turn + its amazing speed tier let it perform nicely as a pivot while doing meaningful damage
Cons:
  • Banded Darts is a bit weaker than Pao's banded Crunch: 252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Dragon Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 224-264 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- approx. 12.1% chance to 2HKO
  • Having no good Ghost STAB without Tera Ghost + Tera Blast sucks a lot
  • Banded Sucker is pretty weak and very exploitable, but there isn't really anything better to put in that slot
  • Kingambit and Corvi are both big nuisances
Overall, this thing is massively threatening to more offensive teams a late game cleaner, but it certainly lacks Pao's ability to break through defensive teams, and it can be a little predictable since it lacks the powerful coverage that Chien-Pao had.

:Meowscarada:
Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass/Dark
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Trick/Play Rough/Sucker Punch

Pros:
  • With Pao gone, Meowscarada takes its place as the second fastest Pokemon in the tier
  • Access to Knock Off is amazing and means that nothing truly switches in for free
  • Flower Trick lets you crit your way past defensive set up mons, namely Dondozo and Garg
  • Physical attacker than Tusk can't switch in on
  • Like Pult, functions well as a speedy pivot
Cons:
  • Significantly weaker than Pao: 252 Atk Choice Band Meowscarada Flower Trick vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex on a critical hit: 127-150 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • Grass resists are plentiful in OU, and a poorly timed Flower Trick can lose you a lot of momentum
  • Very few things it can actually switch in on
Overall, I'd say compared to Pult Meowscarada may offer more Vs Defensive teams thanks to its ability to force progress via Knock Off, while remaining threatening to offensive teams to a lesser extent. I got reqs with a CB Meow team and it can definitely carve through unprepared opponents.

:Baxcalibur:
Baxcalibur @ Choice Band
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Tera Type: Dragon
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
Pros
  • Banded Glaive Rush is straight up stronger than Pao's Banded Crunch... by a lot: 252+ Atk Choice Band Baxcalibur Glaive Rush vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 195-229 (64.1 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • Good coverage means only Orthworm really walls it (or Bronzong if you're desperate I guess)
  • Burn immunity is amazing in this meta, allowing for pretty easy switch-ins to Rotom-W, Skeledirge, and Volcarona, all of which are quite common at the moment
  • Ice Shard is good, strong priority that hits a lot of offensive mons for super effective damage and isn't as easily exploited as Sucker Punch
Cons
  • The speed tier is only decent, making it much more difficult to position and get value out of Vs Offensive teams
  • Meh speed tier + Glaive Rush's side effect means it is fairly easily forced out/revenge killed
  • Its Ice STABs are a fair bit weaker than Pao's, which mean you can miss out on crucial Ice Shard OHKOs against stuff like Pult and Roaring Moon
  • Rocks weakness + poor defensive typing can limit its opportunities to switch in despite its excellent natural bulk
Even while Pao was in the tier, Baxcalibur's power set it apart for its ability to break through defensive teams. With Pao gone, I think Bax is an excellent replacement with very few reliable switch-ins, but obviously it won't simply outspeed and OHKO entire offensive teams the way Pao could.

There are other CB users that merit some consideration of course; I'm partial to CB :Quaquaval:, and :Great_Tusk:, :Breloom:, :Scizor:, :Azumarill:, :Cinderace:, and even :Dragonite: all have their strengths with Choice Band sets. But I believe the three I mentioned will do the best job of recapturing either Pao's ability to sweep through offensive teams, or its ability to break down defensive ones, and deserve strong consideration as OU players search for Pao replacements.

Baxcalibur @ Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
I’ve noticed that Baxcalibur is gonna be really good in shed tail teams with dd 3 attacks. It’s kinda crazy haha.

Added: So something just hit me…. Dragapult is the fastest Mon in the tier at 383 speed. Does that mean we will see more adamant/modest builds going forward?

Last edited:
Did the Chien-Pao ban leave a Choice Band Wallbreaker-sized hole in your teams? Here are what I imagine will be the best replacements in Mr. Pao's absence. To show how powerful these Pokemon are relative to Chien-Pao, I'll show this calc of Pao's banded Crunch Vs Toxapex

252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 151-178 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Dragapult @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Pros:
  • Dragon STAB is pretty spammable given neither Fairy in the tier wants to switch into Ghost moves
  • Pult tends to bait in Special walls like Clodsire or Slowking which get nearly OHKO'd by Banded Darts
  • Banded Darts counters Sash leads which are fairly common on more offensive teams these days
  • U-turn + its amazing speed tier let it perform nicely as a pivot while doing meaningful damage
Cons:
  • Banded Darts is a bit weaker than Pao's banded Crunch: 252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Dragon Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 224-264 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- approx. 12.1% chance to 2HKO
  • Banded Sucker is pretty weak and very exploitable, but there isn't really anything better to put in that slot
Overall, this thing is massively threatening to more offensive teams a late game cleaner, but it certainly lacks Pao's ability to break through defensive teams, and it can be a little predictable since it lacks the powerful coverage that Chien-Pao had.

Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Pros:
  • With Pao gone, Meowscarada takes its place as the second fastest Pokemon in the tier
  • Access to Knock Off is amazing and means that nothing truly switches in for free
  • Flower Trick lets you crit your way past defensive set up mons, namely Dondozo and Garg
Cons:
  • Significantly weaker than Pao: 252 Atk Choice Band Meowscarada Flower Trick vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex on a critical hit: 127-150 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • Grass resists are plentiful in OU, and a poorly timed Flower Trick can lose you a lot of momentum
Overall, I'd say compared to Pult Meowscarada may offer more Vs Defensive teams thanks to its ability to force progress via Knock Off, while remaining threatening to offensive teams to a lesser extent. I got reqs with a CB Meow team and it can definitely carve through unprepared opponents.

Baxcalibur @ Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
Pros
  • Banded Glaive Rush is straight up stronger than Pao's Banded Crunch... by a lot: 252+ Atk Choice Band Baxcalibur Glaive Rush vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 195-229 (64.1 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • Good coverage means only Orthworm really walls it (or Bronzong if you're desperate I guess)
  • Burn immunity is amazing in this meta, allowing for pretty easy switch-ins to Rotom-W, Skeledirge, and Volcarona, all of which are quite common at the moment
  • Ice Shard is good, strong priority that hits a lot of offensive mons for super effective damage and isn't as easily exploited as Sucker Punch
Cons
  • The speed tier is only decent, making it much more difficult to position and get value out of Vs Offensive teams
  • Meh speed tier + Glaive Rush's side effect means it is fairly easily forced out/revenge killed
  • Its Ice STABs are a fair bit weaker than Pao's, which mean you can miss out on crucial Ice Shard OHKOs against stuff like Pult and Roaring Moon
  • Rocks weakness + poor defensive typing can limit its opportunities to switch in despite its excellent natural bulk
Even while Pao was in the tier, Baxcalibur's power set it apart for its ability to break through defensive teams. With Pao gone, I think Bax is an excellent replacement with very few reliable switch-ins, but obviously it won't simply outspeed and OHKO entire offensive teams the way Pao could.

There are other CB users that merit some consideration of course; I'm partial to CB :Quaquaval:, and :Great_Tusk:, :Breloom:, :Scizor:, :Azumarill:, :Cinderace:, and even :Dragonite: all have their strengths with Choice Band sets. But I believe the three I mentioned will do the best job of recapturing either Pao's ability to sweep through offensive teams, or its ability to break down defensive ones, and deserve strong consideration as OU players search for Pao replacements.
this is my scarf jolly meow appreciation post

being surprisingly useful and tricking everything, 1v1ing non-tera spa valiant in a pinch, tricking, u-turning, checking, uhhh

it's not amazing imo, but scarf meow is surprising glue in my experience thus far

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
this is my scarf jolly meow appreciation post

being surprisingly useful and tricking everything, 1v1ing non-tera spa valiant in a pinch, tricking, u-turning, checking, uhhh

it's not amazing imo, but scarf meow is surprising glue in my experience thus far
Scarf Meow is fun. I think I prefer Dragapult.

Speaking of Dragapult I wonder if Assault Vest might be a decent set. Makes it a bit of a bulkier pivot and lets it do better vs Iron Moth, Washtom, and with Ghost-resistant Teras Gholdengo and Skeledirge.

So I very recently found out that Jumpluff's Speed stat under the Sun reaches nuclear levels since it gained Tailwind this generation, but this makes me worried that it could be a solid partner for H. Lilligant when the HOME update drops to ensure that it basically never gets outsped when it sets up Victory Dance so it can go on a ramgape afterwards

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
So I very recently found out that Jumpluff's Speed stat under the Sun reaches nuclear levels since it gained Tailwind this generation, but this makes me worried that it could be a solid partner for H. Lilligant when the HOME update drops to ensure that it basically never gets outsped when it sets up Victory Dance so it can go on a ramgape afterwards
Hisuian Lillie will not have issues with speed, especially not to the extent of using an otherwise useless partner just to set an effect that will fade in 3 turns. It already will never get outsped when it sets up Victory Dance, Jumpluff is unnecessary.

Hey everyone, with the recent wave of bans we have been working on a new set of samples which are now displayed in OU Room on PS and will be in the samples post in forums probably soon. Just like last time this set of teams will get shaped throughout the next days as the meta settles a bit. S/o to everyone who shared their teams with us and particularly thanks to Mimikyu Stardust

1676260484726.png

I also put out a new post for Teams of the Week. Thank you to everyone who has checked out this project and to everyone who has either submitted or let me use their teams. Special s/o to Pinecoishot, MAVERICK SHOOTERS and Vert for all your wonderful teams. Ty again c:

Speaking of Dragapult I wonder if Assault Vest might be a decent set. Makes it a bit of a bulkier pivot and lets it do better vs Iron Moth, Washtom, and with Ghost-resistant Teras Gholdengo and Skeledirge.
Yea but you die to hazards. Dragapult lacks both rock resist and spikes immunity.

You do get great bulk though.
252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Assault Vest Dragapult: 228-270 (60 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (228, 230, 234, 236, 240, 242, 242, 246, 248, 252, 254, 258, 260, 264, 266, 270)

Last edited:
Yea but you die to hazards. Dragapult lacks both rock resist and spikes immunity.

You do get great bulk though.
252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Assault Vest Dragapult: 228-270 (60 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (228, 230, 234, 236, 240, 242, 242, 246, 248, 252, 254, 258, 260, 264, 266, 270)
good point, but you're forgetting an important part: the psychological aspect. seeing as counterintuitive a set as av dragapult could throw a player off their guard. losing a mon to it might tilt them. this can actually affect games more than it sounds, because someone might misplay because they're too bewildered thinking about the av dragapult to focus all of their attention on the game. i'm 100% serious about this, by the way. (i still don't think that av pult is really worth running over either specs or boots, though)

for me personally, if i dropped a game to av dragapult i'd get a job and a girlfriend just so i had an excuse to stop playing this game

Dragapult @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Pros:
Cons:

Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Pros:
Cons:

Baxcalibur @ Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
Pros
Cons

Just to add to this, banded :Tyranitar: can put in some work. Yes it's walled by Tusk but if you manage it Tar can be really hard to switch into. Tera ground eq is also really nice.

It’s walled by ting-lu so uhhh
He learns Ice Punch and Low Kick. Of course, it won't be OHKOing or maybe even 2HKOing, but most people don't use Rest Ting-Lu, so eventually it will be overwhelmed.

I don't think Band Tar is the optimal breaker (though I do think it's viable) , especially when Band Tusk exist (even without Stab, Knock is more useful in long term than Crunch) , though one thing Tar does well is checking powerful special Attackers like Iron Moth, Pult and Volcarona. Pex rising usage is a good thing for Tar, since it means more Volcaronas are using Psychic and as a result, drop Giga Drain or Bug Buzz, especially in bulky sets.

Bulky DD Ttar with Ting Lu coverage maybe? Should be able to get 2 or even 3 of them off and in conjunction with Sand chip, could be good maybe

Bulky DD Ttar with Ting Lu coverage maybe? Should be able to get 2 or even 3 of them off and in conjunction with Sand chip, could be good maybe
Would need Unaware coverage too. Can't see it breaking past Dondozo and the rare Quagsire, but at least Stabs threaten Skeledirge (forcing it to Tera) and EQ threatens Clodsire, with Ice Punch threatening Sdef one too, as well as Ting Lu. Probably Tera Ground EQ is the best variant for such a set.

Breaking Ting Lu shouldn't be a priority for offensive Mons. Unless it uses Rest, it's very easy to do so even without trying, it's slow, doesn't hit hard enough and has 6 weaknesses. Unaware are the Mons that set-up sweepers need to account for. Forcing them to Tera is positive for the set-up Mon, since it reduces the options opponent has.

I actually think Tyranitar’s best set rn is a special based mixed attacker
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Crunch
Something like this, though the EVs need heavy optimization, the moves a bit random, and the item and Tera type can be optimized aswell. Ice Beam gets the jump on Great Tusk, Earthquake is a nice move to throw around and hits Clodsire, Flamethrower hits Corviknight, and Crunch is a stab move.

We don’t diss Specs Peli around here. Its legit good. Does a shitton of damage even to resists with Hurricane + Rain Boosted Water STAB. Having actual switch in opportunities from the omnipresent Tusks, Skele, and Ting. Also 1v1s Volc with Specs Hurricane or Surf.
okay, I will give peli a try on a non-rain team.

I talked more about Zone, but TL;DR, Zone can trap and/or kill Gambit (especially with Tera Fighting) for the plethora of mons that its tasked to check. Even outside of trapping the only two relevant steels that it traps, its offensive typing and scary 130 SpA hits 90% of the defensive metagame, most notably avoiding the Tera 50/50s that Ghold has to deal with vs Tera Water/Fairy Dirge, Garg, Hatt, etc. Hitting Dozo hard is also notable since Ghold can lose the 1v1 if it doesn’t get lucky with SpD drops. If you don’t give a shit about trapping shit, just run Analytic and nuke shit. Does 30-40 to Ting and 50 to Clod, forcing it to EQ or Toxic.
oooookaaaay maybe magnezone is a bit less bad than I thought, but it still isn't that good.
if the enemy team isn't running corviknight or gambit then magnezone serves almost no purpose.
running analytic is just a dumb gimmick,you will need to lower its dissapointing speed even more than it already it.
analytic will only let it stay on the field for about 2-3 turns and then die.
maaaaaybe if it had reliable recovery and/or higher HP then analytic would be viable.
you are better off running glimmora or even goodra 4 special attacks + life orb+ max speed.

You’re comparing apples to oranges with Amoon and Pao. One is a defensive pivot while the other was a fast breaker. Hazards means Amoonguss is recovering less from Regenerator. Add to the damage it takes from other chip like pivoting into Valiant, U-Turn, Knock, Status, and Washtom, you can bring it down to a point where your mons can take it out. Amoonguss doesn’t one shot/2HKO your team everytime it comes in.
it is not an apples with oranges because I am not comparing the pokemon to each other, I am comparing the argument about the suppossed importance of hazards.
pao is much weaker to hazards compared to amoonguss (stealth rock alone they make the choice band sets hard to use since it can't keep switching in all the time,also toxic spikes can help too if you have the patience to use protect moves.).
so spikes are a bad argument on pao then they are worse argument on amoonguss.

Knock removes vital items like Helmet, Sludge, Boots, Cloak. Considering it sometimes switches into Meow and Tusk, this is a realistic possibility in a game. This means it is even more vulnerable to getting worn down.
I already explained in an other comment that a damage of 90% may be great on any other wall but it isn't as impressive on amoonguss because the combination of spore+regenerator+synthesis can let it gain 83% health in just 2 turns(it uses synthesis after it puts your pokemon to sleep and then it can just switch and heal instantly a 33% health from regenerator) and all of these without holding a healing item.
even if smogon made a complex ban that prevents amoongus from holding a healing item amoonguss wouldn't become particularly easier to fight because the combo of spore+synthesis+regenerator is too damn strong.

Usage =/= Viability. We’ve seen this with shit like Gastro, Ditto, and Cofa who perform better in OU than most of the lower tiers. Weavile is budget Pao who instead of being a breaker, it is a cleaner. It still threatens faster shit with Shard and outspeeds the likes of Meow, Cinder, and Moon.
it is not a good mon, the reason it dropped wasn't only because of pao,it was because it lost knock off.
using such mon is going to put the user in more trouble than it saves them.
to put more salt to injury it is also going to need a choice band AND adamand nature in order to have a 93.75% chance for a OHKO.

What you are referring to sacrificing is called sacking, and you do this when you have a mon you don’t need in a game. This has been one of the ways people have dealt with Spore since Gen 4 (I’d argue even in Gen 3 despite Loom being less common). The only time it has ever been a problem is in Gen 5 where sleep mechanics were unforgiving.
what if the team can't afford to have a sleeping mon?
have you considered that?

Sub-Hex Pult is a legit set that exploits Garg and takes advantage of its ability to force switches.
I asked you to give me the EV spread on this set so I can run the numbers,please give me the EV spread.
Also Synthesis is rarely ever used, if not at all.
it may start seeing more play when people realize how busted it is.
especially now that pao is gone people have more reason to run it.

I forgot to mention the other ways of breaking Amoonguss

Lum Berry Gambit
Specs Psyshock Valiant
SD Ice Spinner Quaval
Specs Greninja
Hatterene
Chain Chomp
Future Sight from Slowking
slowking is kinda bad.
I don't know what you mean by chain chomp. is it choice banded garchomp?
if quaquaval fells asleep during swords dance then it will fail to beat it.
lum berry gambit sounds like an extreemely specific gimmick.
if the opponent does not have a spore user then lum berry is probably going to be waste of an itemslot.
the rest you mentioned are okay although psychic would be better choice for valiant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)