Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Plus Lando gets Nasty Plot this Gen and a new signature move that's basically Ground-type Scald. I wouldn't be surprised if Special Attacking sets popped up, possibly teamed up with Tusk anyway.
I dunno, people were predicting that physical Hydreigon would make waves when it got Dragon Dance last gen and that never really panned out. Special Lando-T’s going to be a lure set at best and I doubt it’ll gain enough traction to warrant, say, a C&C analysis.

(Feel free to screenshot this and DM it to me if I turn out to be wrong)

Last edited:
I think it might be just because of all the hazards around but I have been finding myself avoiding LO on offensive mons a lot this gen, especially on physical attackers. Feel like I see helmet a lot on bulky teams and with the occasional TTar, you end up eating a ton of passive damage. I have been getting more mileage out of either bulky lefties boosting sets, HDB, or even the 1.2x boosting items. Has anyone else noticed something like this?

I dunno, people were predicting that physical Hydreigon would make waves when it got Dragon Dance last gen and that never really panned out. Special Lando-T’s going to be a lure set at best and I doubt it’ll gain enough traction to warrant, say, a C&C analysis.

(Feel free to screenshot this and DM it to me if I turn out to be wrong)
Lando-T used to run Hidden Power Ice mainly to bean itself in Gen 7, and I've seen serious Gen 8 Lando-T sets whose main STAB attack is Earth Power (e.g. mentioned in https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/surprise-eruption-heatran-team.3709142/#post-9361234). Special or mixed Lando-T may not be a lure after all.

I think it might be just because of all the hazards around but I have been finding myself avoiding LO on offensive mons a lot this gen, especially on physical attackers. Feel like I see helmet a lot on bulky teams and with the occasional TTar, you end up eating a ton of passive damage. I have been getting more mileage out of either bulky lefties boosting sets, HDB, or even the 1.2x boosting items. Has anyone else noticed something like this?
Nah, def not just you at all, this is a pretty common way to build safer teams tbh. Even in metas where more offensive builds are the way to go (like SV), you still want to make sure your offense has reasonable survivability vs opposing bulkier offenses, which means gravitating away from things like LO on Chien-Pao and toward options like boots. Also a big reason why tusker is so good, it's a strong mon that's fat enough to force trades vs opposing offense, and can spin to reduce the passive damage your other guys have to take in the long term. It's a lot easier to spare the health for a crucial pivot/tank if you haven't been taking 12.5 from spikes here, 10 from recoil there, etc

Lando-T's Ground immunity is super important, as its provides an immunity to Spikes. When combined with neutrality to Stealth Rock, it can afford to run Leftovers over Boots for longevity.

Plus Lando gets Nasty Plot this Gen and a new signature move that's basically Ground-type Scald. I wouldn't be surprised if Special Attacking sets popped up, possibly teamed up with Tusk anyway.
The ground-type scald has 80% accuracy.It's called sandsear storm . So you really can't rely on it and it's special so unless lando-i doesn't get sent to ubers which is highly unlikely that move will be pretty bad. Although lando does have a decent special attack stat i doubt it will use that. Although something like special or physical tera-fire sets with sd/np +agility sound insane. Although earth power+ smack down with np or agility sound good too.

The ground-type scald has 80% accuracy.It's called sandsear storm . So you really can't rely on it and it's special so unless lando-i doesn't get sent to ubers which is highly unlikely that move will be pretty bad. Although lando does have a decent special attack stat i doubt it will use that. Although something like special or physical tera-fire sets with sd/np +agility sound insane. Although earth power+ smack down with np or agility sound good too.
Even if Lando-I stays (challenge=impossible), it won't be burning shit with that move due to Sheer Force. And no, Sand Force special Lando-I never was viable (physical one is still worse than Special Sheer Force).

1LDK

Trial by fury
is a Top Team Rater
Ok, so
great tusk
what is that mon
that is just
the best movepool ever on a gen with limited distribution
2 close combat stabs
spinner
knock off
15000 coverage moves
a good ability
MANY viable sets
and nobody is talking about it
the mon is just absurd
you missed the conversations about it, you also missed the fact that is one of the most used mons in the meta, the most common sets are AV for gholdengos and Rocky Helmet/Lefties with body press, for defensive utitily, but Booster Energy, Choice Band and Choice Scarf are really viable too

Great Tusk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 132 Atk / 144 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush/Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

I dont know about what the rest of you guys like to run, but this right here is my personal favorite, is specificially invested to outrun Max Speed Timid Gholdengo by 1, then, beat him with, the 132 atak lets you OHKO with quake, and 2KO with knock off, the rest dumped in SpD + AV so its always a 3HKO from most things he can trow at

Ok, so
great tusk
what is that mon
that is just
2 close combat stabs
spinner
knock off
15000 coverage moves
a good ability
MANY viable sets
the mon is just absurd
It's Lando-T for SV: the mon that compresses roles so well that it centralizes the game (in a healthy way). Nobody's really talking about it because what's there to talk about? It's just a good, splashable mon that fits on any team.

you missed the conversations about it, you also missed the fact that is one of the most used mons in the meta, the most common sets are AV for gholdengos and Rocky Helmet/Lefties with body press, for defensive utitily, but Booster Energy, Choice Band and Choice Scarf are really viable too

Great Tusk @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 132 Atk / 144 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush/Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

I dont know about what the rest of you guys like to run, but this right here is my personal favorite, is specificially invested to outrun Max Speed Timid Gholdengo by 1, then, beat him with, the 132 atak lets you OHKO with quake, and 2KO with knock off, the rest dumped in SpD + AV so its always a 3HKO from most things he can trow at
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Headlong Rush
- Taunt
- Knock Off
This bitch gets fucking Taunt. Yeah. This more offensive set w taunt lets you lure in walls and taunt them to prevent recovery. Corv all of a sudden wants nothing of you, you can *probably* 1v1 Dondozo with Taunt and Booster, etc etc.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Headlong Rush
- Taunt
- Knock Off
This bitch gets fucking Taunt. Yeah. This more offensive set w taunt lets you lure in walls and taunt them to prevent recovery. Corv all of a sudden wants nothing of you, you can *probably* 1v1 Dondozo with Taunt and Booster, etc etc.
I’ve been liking Tera Grass more to really 1v1 Dozo. It has other benefits like Taunting safely vs Washtom, and beat Quaval or opposing Tusks

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so
great tusk
what is that mon
that is just
2 close combat stabs
spinner
knock off
15000 coverage moves
a good ability
MANY viable sets
the mon is just absurd
Not to be late, but if you read even 10% of this entire thread you would see Great Tusk gets talked non-stop just do a search on this thread on 'great tusk'

Yeah it's a fantastic Pokemon and it has a lot of uses like mentioned above when it comes to Taunt, I personally like the Ice Spinner + Rapid Spinner combo to break Dragonite.

Honestly if transfer moves don't exist Tusk & Lando aren't competing for the same role that much. Lando gets U-turn & spikes but loses defog, while tusk gets spin, & better offensive profile. They're similar mons sure, but I think there's enough differences that they'll co-exist in OU

Last edited:
Honestly if transfer moves don't exist Tusk & Lando aren't competing for the same role that much. Lando gets U-turn & spikes but loses defog, while tusk gets spin, & better offensive profile. They're similar mons sure, but I think there's enough differences that they'll co-exist in OU
We still don't don't know what moves will they get with the DLCs tutors, but double water/ice weakness in a team doesn't sound that good, especially with Chien-Pau in the tier.

We still don't don't know what moves will they get with the DLCs tutors, but double water/ice weakness in a team doesn't sound that good, especially with Chien-Pau in the tier.
If there's tutors, I don't think there's particularly anthing thats indicating that there will be rn. Also I'm not particularly saying you should run both of them on the same team, but that I don't think it'll be a matter of "don't use tusk, lando's better in virtually every way" or vice versa. I think it'll be more like Ting Lu / Tusk rn.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I know I’m the one who started this discussion, but can we please move on from talking about Lando-T? I feel like too much of the thread right now is being dominated by a mon that isn’t even out. Also, I’d like to enjoy the brief period of time we get while the bastard is out of the way.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How do you guys feel about using a Yache Berry on Great Tusk in order to bait Chien-Pao to stay in and then you can kill it with a close combat.
I've used it. It's extremely niche, it's used to take Ice Spinner / Icicle Crash on Chien-Pao. I feel like they're are better items to run, it works for sure but it's not a common scenario that Tusk is constantly going to be dealing with in my experience. Like IMO Heavy-Duty Boots, Leftovers, Choice Band, and Booster Energy are all better options

I have been playing this meta for weeks on end and i still cannot find an actual consistent way to beat chien pao, barring running tera fairy dondozo.
How are you all dealing with this thing??? i dont get it. none of my offenses can switch into it and all my balances have to use dondozo to check it reliably which is a bit absurd.
My dondozo has also just been crit by crunch on multiple occasions causing me to instantly lose the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 16)