Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are sleeping on offensive Tera mew a little too much. I don’t think it’s another Pokémon in the tier that can pick it’s counters the way Mew can.

Easily one of the Pokémon I’m most excited for, even though it really might not take off till dlc opens up movepools more.

Bro you can't be that desperate for a Ursaluna check that your using that thing. Regular ass Avalugg has a better matchup versus Luna than this shitmon and Avalugg beats literally every other Pokemon in the tier slightly better than this does.
You're right, I'm just dumb. I'll figure something out

I can accept the whole 'we'll ban it anyway', but my question is why bother leaving stuff out at all then.

Even if we all know 99.9% flutter mane would be quickbanned in the first wave... let it?

That's where I'm at rn cause there's clearly supposed to be logic in not allowing X back in the tier for the early chaos, but then we let stuff that's broken on paper anyway in and when panic about those things begin logic being 'chill it'll be gone in a few days/weeks' applies but not to anything else.

Tomorrow could be as easy as "woah, last respects, flutter mane, and chi-yu were bullshit... who knew! but at least we tried".

I'm pretty sure most of the stuff will get banned quickly regardless, and I'm keeping an open mind to that I just don't get why not include more in the unban start if quick banning them all means it doesn't matter, worst that can happen is we find out iron-bundle is somehow checkable now.
The counterexample is Walking Wake, which had people panicking and demanding a quick ban, but has since turned out to be fine, but nothing oppressive.

Sometimes things look terrifying and can even dominate for a few days, but then counterplay is discovered and teams adapt just fine.

Sometimes it's "haha I have literally unresisted two move coverage and only very specialized mons can swap into me."

None of the unbans have been the latter.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Smogon logic:

“let’s test magearna, zamazenta, and co in OU. Joining them will be ursaluna, sneasler and all these other super viable OU threats. It’s okay that OU will become very offense heavy, and slower teams will become unviable.”

Also smogon logic, sponsored by big stall lobbying:

“we can’t let anihillape back into OU with this home update, it completely destroys slow teams and makes them unviable”

This is a joke post, not actually upset or do I disagree with anything. Just poking fun
Yeah, thats a good thing. Offense needs a good generation. Will be the first since arguably gen 6

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Yeah, thats a good thing. Offense needs a good generation. Will be the first since arguably gen 6
this is a take.

anyways, how do yall feel about Samurott-H? This mon definitely brings some potential changes to offense, especially as a lead that beats Hatterene. It is kinda mediocre outside of this role, but only time will tell.

this is a take.

anyways, how do yall feel about Samurott-H? This mon definitely brings some potential changes to offense, especially as a lead that beats Hatterene. It is kinda mediocre outside of this role, but only time will tell.
fact: having samurott will improve your matchup against those psychic terrain, hatterene, shell smash teams

but so will eleki

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
this is a take.

How does it beat Hat? Well Ig it goes get up hazards up

this is a take.

One of the more cooler additions to Home. It's a great hazard setter with it being able to pressure hazard removers and ignore typical anti-hazard options too. I think best set will be Mixed set maximizing damage against hazard setting or anti-hazard Pokemon.

What are everyone's thoughts on all of the Genies? I think Landorus-Therian is fine, and I have been playing around with Grass Knot, which hits Great

Tusk for big damage, essentially letting Big Lando 1v1 any non Ice Spinner Tusk.

Tornadus-Therian imo hasn't skipped a beat. Defog sets are ofc dead but Nasty Plot are as good as ever. I think out of all of the Genies this one will be the most dynamic user of Terastilization.

Thundurus will def not be an OU Pokemon. 111 speed isn't special anymore, and it's fragility betrays it's otherwise ok speed tier. The ultimate nail in the coffin is not being able to fire off a quick Thunder Wave against a Chien Pao to cripple it.

As for Enamorus, I believe this will be a A- / B+ ranked Pokémon, simply because it's speed tier and fragility just like Thundurus before hurts it, but Fairy is a valuable and Rare typing, so I think that will enable it in OU. Contrary without the broken Springtide Storm is pretty mediocre, because it's physical Movepool is dogwater and Unaware is actually good in this metagame.
I think that in the event Regieleki gets quick-banned, Thundurus could get itself some mileage as a somewhat-Tera-dependent Electric attacker. Rather than Incarnate's only-okay-now Speed, I'm thinking about Therian's higher Special Attack and 101 Speed (which outspeeds Positive Tusk by 1 point if you go Neutral for more nuking). Its boosting options play pretty cool with that kind of power, and Volt Absorb could work well with Tera Flying to give it a STAB in exchange for Electric's Resistances (being about as strong as STAB Thunder after the Tera buff). Just goes from a fast offense cleaner to focusing on Wallbreaking Bulkier threats, since both forms have decent speed tiers for defensive match-ups. Also, while Chien-Pao is a pain in the ass, Thunder Wave still offers a panic button for some relevant mons like Dragapult, Booster Valiant, Volcarona without Tera Ground (probably the preferred type though when Heatran re-enters the scene), general Scarfers, and Speed-Proto Walking Wake.

Concur about Enamorus's Contrary sets being overhyped, I expect its viability to stem from Specs or Calm Mind sets.

How does it beat Hat? Well Ig it goes get up hazards up
Unironically kind of. Hat teams, especially Psyspam if that survives into Home, lean heavily on it preventing hazards rather than giving up momentum for removal, which Samurott-H completely circumvents for breaking Sashes and massively increasing vulnerability Fast Revenge Kills in general.

Pre-HOME SV OU meta got into a really good place, I'll miss it. But now the real storm starts :tyke:, it's about to be a very hectic week.
Outside the obvious stuff that needs to be banned, Home won't change the meta that much IMO, I think it will be like the raids, they add stuff to the meta but nothing too big to for example dropping Tusk, Gambit or Valiant from the top 10. DLCs is when the tier is going to get real.

I'm kinda pumped to try out Enamorus-Therian. This thing is probably gonna be heavily overshadowed by Magearna and its own incarnate form, and things like Ursaluna will just bowl through it along with everything else that's slower than it, so it may end up being pretty bad overall but it just sits on a lot of things with its bulk and typing so I'm still pretty excited to mess around with it.

enamorus-therian.png
Enamorus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draining Kiss
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Bulky booster that keeps itself healthy with Draining Kiss sorta like Hatterene. Draining Kiss / Earth Power is truly impeccable coverage and Corv can't really touch you so you don't really need anything else. Tera Ground helps vs. things like AV pex and Clodsire as well as being a pretty good defensive typing. Sub is mostly for Garg but I guess also Pex and Clodsire and Hatterene and stuff. I guess you could run Mystical Fire in the last slot but it feels super unnecessary.

Anyway best turtle.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey. Before the HOME meta drops.

Tera Fairy/Water > Ice for Regieleki. Those types hit many of the same things as Ice but you have resistances to priority. Either Sucker Punch or Ice Shard, pick your poison. (Probably want the Sucker Punch resist tbh.) BoltBeam is an outdated meme.

Have fun before the potential quickban.

Last edited:

Tera Fairy/Water > Ice for Regieleki. Those types hit many of the same things as Ice but you have resistances to priority. Either Sucker Punch or Ice Shard, pick your poison. (Probably want the Sucker Punch resist tbh.) BoltBeam is an outdated meme.

Yes, Fairy was also an option I had in mind

well if 95% of OU is gonna be offense, then your point is taken.

if a significant portion of teams are packing clodsire, and the other relevant ground type switch ins, then you have to weigh up pros and cons.

tera ice on eleki is a trap, just run bax or mega weavile for the grounds and if your opponent wants to dedicate their life to stopping lightning Larry thats cool and all but the rest of the team is a tad deceased

Looking at all the Ground types, I say yes to Ice really. The main thing stopping Regieleki from wrecking OU is the Ground types. Between Water, Grass, and Ice, Ice hits the most Ground types in the tier and also Water Absorb Clodsire.
252+ SpA Life Orb Tera Ice Regieleki Tera Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 226-268 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- 58.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Hitting Clodsire the probably the most important thing you can hit since its the biggest thing stopping Regieleki. Of course, you also hit likes of Great Tusk, Landorus-T, Roaring Moon, and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)