Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found a Proto SpA boosted Walking wake with Agility, lost first attempt at reqs
We truly need a "therapy group for ragequits" and or a "Memetagame disscussion" to post memes

honestly, I would ban it just to let gargnacl get free thanks to one less check.

In another set of news, for the people who are running sun, what's your way out of CM Hatterene?
I've been using Iron Moth as an answer tho it isnt the most reliable since psyshock fries it and it doesnt like getting Nuzzled, and ofc Kingambit especially with Tera Fire handles Hatt really well.

Not sure how well Kingambit fits onto actual sun teams however, I reckon Moth would fit since it benefits from Sun but Kingambit not so much

memesketch

won't look back, i must shine
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
In another set of news, for the people who are running sun, what's your way out of CM Hatterene?
Tera Fire Great Tusk matches up pretty well with CM Hatt, can take a few hits and chip it down nicely with Proto EQ and Knock.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
But it counters garganacl :blobthumbsup:
covert cloak decid w/ spirit shackle sounds super nasty actually...

anyway i doubt decidueye will leave a particularly heavy impact on the tier, but it does quite like tera as a toy. i could see some action with spirit shackle and tera to create setup opportunities for itself, but aside from that it's a little too slow and a little too weak to do much else. lower tiers will prolly like having another removal option tho lol

Working on reqs and it's wild how much you have to dance with sun teams rn because of walking wave. Maybe it's my lack of upper skill but the way i've been handling it in sun is chip damage + stalling out the sun. The best way to handle wave is to not allow torkoal to come in or shut it down asap, which is easier said than done.

If i had better teambuilding skills, i'd try a team with ttar just to counter sun teams lol

covert cloak decid w/ spirit shackle sounds super nasty actually...

anyway i doubt decidueye will leave a particularly heavy impact on the tier, but it does quite like tera as a toy. i could see some action with spirit shackle and tera to create setup opportunities for itself, but aside from that it's a little too slow and a little too weak to do much else. lower tiers will prolly like having another removal option tho lol
Probably will be a Quag 2.0, that mon isn't a true OU mon but the player base refuses to let the duck drop to a tier where can be useful.
Edit: thought it was the Hisuian one, the normal one is going to drop 100%.

Last edited:
I always thought it was bizarre Decidueye was so slow. I guess it tracks for a sniper, but still.

Anyway, yeah, fun as Spirit Shackle is, I don't think it'll get to do much with it here. I might try it just for fun, though.

I meant to anything that resists Bug, not Decidueye...

Here's some examples by myself:

+2 252+ SpA Swarm Tera Bug Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 399-470 (107.8 - 127%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Swarm Tera Bug Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Pelipper: 333-392 (103 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Swarm Tera Bug Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 476-564 (117.8 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Swarm Tera Bug Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 384-452 (95 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

I know Flame Body is a better ability for Volcarona, but Swarm makes Volcarona a suicidal Focus Sash attacker.

Just found a Proto SpA boosted Walking wake with Agility, lost first attempt at reqs
We truly need a "therapy group for ragequits" and or a "Memetagame disscussion" to post memes

honestly, I would ban it just to let gargnacl get free thanks to one less check.

We really do need a memetagame discussion fr.

As for CM Hatterene against sun, I've been finding the forfeit button pretty useful.

In all seriousness I just slot in iron head on my Roaring Moon on this team I was using as I couldn't really afford to change mons.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
Kingambit works okay with me, especially Tera Fire. Just remember to always SD when you can (+1SpA Mystical Fire doesn't OHKO in Sun, and you can always Tera to resist it), since Iron Head won't do shit in case Hatterene Teras into a Water type.

Regarding Decidueye: Not my cute beloved Alolan Muk, but at last a new Mon that is not 100% offense focused and can defensively check some stuff (also Defogger that is not entirely walled by Gholdengo, yay).

Yeah I don't think Decidueye will stay OU but the lower tiers will for sure aprpeciate some more hazard removal options

He'll probably be a very niche pick for hazard control not bothered by Ghold But really you can just run tusk for this

1LDK

The Stand
is a Top Team Rater
Okay so I have been theorymonning about Decidueye

Decidueye @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Long Reach
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn/Seed Bomb/Knock Off
- Roost
- Spirit Shackle

I think this has a niche as a defogger who does it better than corviknight LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

252 SpA Choice Specs Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Tera Fighting Decidueye: 165-195 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO

160 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 158-188 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

From the looks of it, it still has Knock Off, defog and roost, no other Pokémon right now has this combo of utility, it's slow and kinda frail, but thanks to Long Reach, an ability that is essentially Protective Pads, you can either keep momentum or brawl with stuff with no problem, it has good matchups with Ting Lu, Clodsire, garganacl, glimmora, these are common rockers

it cannot touch Garchomp, but if garchomp doesn't have a fire move then Garchomp cannot touch decidueye either

it has bad matchups aginst Tusk, Chomp running fire moves, torkoal, orthworm, which are even more common as rockers

it also has 4MSS, of the bad kind, meaning it doesn't have its true potential, but what do you guys think about this bit of theorymonning

Okay so I have been theorymonning about Decidueye

Decidueye @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Long Reach
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn/Seed Bomb/Knock Off
- Roost
- Spirit Shackle

I think this has a niche as a defogger who does it better than corviknight LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

252 SpA Choice Specs Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Tera Fighting Decidueye: 165-195 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO

160 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 158-188 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

From the looks of it, it still has Knock Off, defog and roost, no other Pokémon right now has this combo of utility, it's slow and kinda frail, but thanks to Long Reach, an ability that is essentially Protective Pads, you can either keep momentum or brawl with stuff with no problem, it has good matchups with Ting Lu, Clodsire, garganacl, glimmora, these are common rockers

it cannot touch Garchomp, but if garchomp doesn't have a fire move then Garchomp cannot touch decidueye either

it has bad matchups aginst Tusk, Chomp running fire moves, torkoal, orthworm, which are even more common as rockers

it also has 4MSS, of the bad kind, meaning it doesn't have its true potential, but what do you guys think about this bit of theorymonning
You can fit Leaf Storm in there somewhere to snipe Tusk, Dondozo, maybe salt pile, I don't think Wake would like it though I'm too lazy for calcs.

I love how useful offensive grass is this gen. Years of smack talking grassers now y'all all mad that Volc understood the power of grass before us all.

Spirit Shackle + Tera might be something interesting Decidueye could do, letting it bait in some threats like Kingambit and use Tera Fighitng Low Kick to knock it out. A more practical version of this would be Spirit Shackle + Feather Dance since that would have more universal utility and would let it exploit some of the Pokemon it lures in a bit better. Might be a bit hard to pull off though since its stats aren't the best and it has MANY counters, esp if its unboosted. Also for some stupid reason, it lost Curse, so it can't really exert pressure on these trapped targets as much as it would like.

Nasty Plot sets could be a fun novelty, but feel like they'd be worse than Gholdengo unless your want a ground resistance.

Spirit Shackle + Tera might be something interesting Decidueye could do, letting it bait in some threats like Kingambit and use Tera Fighitng Low Kick to knock it out. A more practical version of this would be Spirit Shackle + Feather Dance since that would have more universal utility and would let it exploit some of the Pokemon it lures in a bit better. Might be a bit hard to pull off though since its stats aren't the best and it has MANY counters, esp if its unboosted. Also for some stupid reason, it lost Curse, so it can't really exert pressure on these trapped targets as much as it would like.

Nasty Plot sets could be a fun novelty, but feel like they'd be worse than Gholdengo unless your want a ground resistance.
This brings to mind a "Best Value" version of Jaw Lock Roaring Moon combining a Boost and SS trapping, encumbered mainly by Decidueye's lack of speed boosting outside of Trailblaze, which makes for weak STAB.

I think ultimately the Alolan Bird is going to be a low tier player who pokes his head in for very fringe tournament counter picks at best. I'm curious how the Hisuian counterpart fares with Triple Arrow having like 3 effects but none too major. Both Decidueye seem burdened by their speed despite possessing respectively strong Offensive Types for this Gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 14)