Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

After thinking about it for a couple days I think this may be the best decision to make instead of just banning Raging Bolt and rebanning Roaring Moon. It'll also make mons like Iron Valiant and Iron Moth much easier to deal with while still keeping them viable.
Valiant isnt even broken anyways and its one of few mons who are closer to the line if anything, and booster providdes invaluable emergency speed control for lots of teams which is very healthy. Also I ask again, why do people keep mentioning moth as if it is some uber hard to handle mon? It's good but it isn't remotely broken or close to it. There is so much counterplay.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
Really looking forward to this meta! The past few iterations of SV OU have been agonizingly stale (particularly watching from a tour perspective) and I'm hoping that the unbans + new adds change up a lot.

Here's my discussion q for the day:

How do we feel about stellar type now that it's live? Do you think it makes tera more broken or is it still fine in your opinion?

PS. I don't remember this level of spritelessness since early XY on PO...ladder is funny right now to watch with all the blank images
1702707717559.png

I need yall to learn to turn your brain off and just start clicking funny buttons when playing. activate your inner ipad kid. omg funny color turtle cool darkrai yippieeeeee type of shit. bring a bit of joy into your life for once
Sorry I can't do that anymore. Ever since I got curbstomped by a bug gem volcarona back in elementary my life has never been the same

How do we feel about stellar type now that it's live? Do you think it makes tera more broken or is it still fine in your opinion?
I've only seen stellar on pagos rn, on every other mon that tried running it just ended up as a
1702707752360.png

This might be just because we're early and seeing a lot of very powerful new things we've never seen before, but is anyone else finding Darkrai really underwhelming? I'm just out here getting outsped by booster dudes and crushed and doing little baby damage in return, and I barely ever have the right coverage for the situation. The forums promised me a broken mon

Specs Latios with Flip Turn is exactly as funny as I thought it would be. Sun teams are fucking everywhere because of Bolt and Fire. Pivot around Glowking for fun times.
This might be just because we're early and seeing a lot of very powerful new things we've never seen before, but is anyone else finding Darkrai really underwhelming? I'm just out here getting outsped by booster dudes and crushed and doing little baby damage in return, and I barely ever have the right coverage for the situation. The forums promised me a broken mon
So far my favorite meta arc is “OMGZ GUYS DARKRAI IS SUPER BROKEN, ITS GONNA SNAP OU OVER ITS KNEE WITH ITS SHEER POWER” directly into “this Pokémon is mid AF”.

Lol. Lmao even
Sirs, the meta is 38 minutes old and Terapagos is still legal. Let's give final judgement on that one a bit.

Sorry I can't do that anymore. Ever since I got curbstomped by a bug gem volcarona back in elementary my life has never been the same

I've only seen stellar on pagos rn, on every other mon that tried running it just ended up as a
View attachment 580379
I tend to use stellar on meowscarada and Archaludon right now, maybe serperior as well, who knows
Meowscarada because I'm using choice band protean, combined with stellar it can do a big amount of damage on the first attack it does
Archaludon because it appreciates it's base typing, also it allowed me to snag a kill on a full HP excadrill with draco
Serperior will like tera blast be a neutral attack that also boosts it's special attack, contrary Enamorus may like it for the same reason
Not many other mons will use stellar I feel

CobsonYaoi

formerly Holesum420
Valiant isnt even broken anyways and its one of few mons who are closer to the line if anything, and booster providdes invaluable emergency speed control for lots of teams which is very healthy. Also I ask again, why do people keep mentioning moth as if it is some uber hard to handle mon? It's good but it isn't remotely broken or close to it. There is so much counterplay.
Oh no I'm not saying that Valiant and Moth are ban worthy by any means. I just had the feeling that they were a tad too strong since whenever I used them they just felt like a win button in the later game more often than not.

Tera fairy + n plot is still VERY strong

Obviously some things like bolt and terapagos are very broken, but Darkrai is still one of the best mons.

Terapagos is literally the best Mon and most broken Mon in this tier. Terapagos Terastal is not easy to break, it can survive. The Stellar Form is literally Zygarde Complete form. After two rapid spins and Two Calm Minds, you literally can sweep your opponents very easily. Ghold gets 2ko and Gambit gets ko. Even if you have toxic or paralyzed, it doesn't matter when I can run rest and Lum Berry. So yeah I'm happy Terapagos is broken more on the Stellar Form but Terastal Form is not easy to deal with if you don't have a fighting move or Mon but even then I can deal with easily and switch out.

So far my favorite meta arc is “OMGZ GUYS DARKRAI IS SUPER BROKEN, ITS GONNA SNAP OU OVER ITS KNEE WITH ITS SHEER POWER” directly into “this Pokémon is mid AF”.

Lol. Lmao even
darkrai's been performing very well for me, in fact. it's second place at "games carried" for me, behind the very obvious first-placer
Just went from 1900s to the 1500s, nice.
oof, i know that feel. not to be rude, though, but isn't that kinda your own fault for not having a specific "this meta is new, time to fuck around" account? you could've just stayed off ladder with your 1900s one until things cool down from day-one new-toy stuff—eating a couple days' worth of ladder decay is better than risking a 400-point drop, then realizing you dropped 400 points, tilting, and dropping even more

Last edited:

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
not to be rude but isn't that kinda your own fault for not having a specific "this meta is new, time to fuck around" account? you could've just stayed off ladder with your 1900s one until things cool down from day-one new-toy stuff—eating a couple days' worth of ladder decay is better than risking a 400-point drop, then realizing you dropped 400 points, tilting, and dropping even more
I have thousands of accounts, I can just make a new one lmao. This one is fucked already so might as well throw it away.

Btw Stored Power Latias with Draining Kiss is pretty damn good.

Really looking forward to this meta! The past few iterations of SV OU have been agonizingly stale (particularly watching from a tour perspective) and I'm hoping that the unbans + new adds change up a lot.

PS. I don't remember this level of spritelessness since early XY on PO...ladder is funny right now to watch with all the blank images
.View attachment 580378
having tried it out and seen it in play, stellar type is basically a non-factor right now on anything that isn't terapagos. as a matter of fact, tera at all is basically a non-factor on anything but terapagos. there are very few scenarios right now where you'd want to terastallize any other mon unless it leads to an immediate win—it almost always makes more sense to just sack the mon and preserve tera for terapagos. it's that good. it's like someone wished for a tera-less meta on a monkey's paw and now we have the biggest tera hog of all time

once it's gone, though, i expect it to be on serperior, enamorus, and not a lot else (and those only for the stat-lowering tera blast). stellar tera is inferior at a lot of the things that make tera good. it isn't as good at giving you much-needed extra coverage, it isn't as good at turbo-charging your stab or boosting your existing coverage for more than a single use, and it doesn't even try to change your defensive matchups

Last edited:

.View attachment 580378
Stellar tera type is ass imo from using it on Serp. Even on Serp, which in theory should be the broken abuser, you don't like retaining the same shitty grass defensive profile when you Tera vs targets like Heatran. Serp also isn't so strong that its immediately dropping stuff like Volcarona after a leaf storm booster with a stellar type tera blast, so it almost immediately gets revenge killed with Stella tera by the 50k grass resist in the tier. Being forced to Tera vs Heatran and friends only to not kill and get revenge killed is really bad. If Serp is broken, I don't think its cause of Stellar Tera, so far anyways.

:Terapagos:
Terapagos @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Tera Shift
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rock Polish
- Calm Mind
- Tera Starstorm
- Rest
This is the Terapagos set I'm currently running before this thing gets banned.
Enough speed is invested into Terapagos so that after a Rock Polish, it outspeeds even positive nature Deoxys-Speed by 2 points.
Rest is dumber into SpA and HP, and you could easily change the EVs for more bulk and such.
It's really fucking stupid to use, that is when I do actually get to use it.
Funnily enough Iron Boulder has been a massive star here, sweeping games before I can even use Terapagos.
:iron boulder:
Iron Boulder @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mighty Cleave
- Close Combat
- Throat Chop
Set in question. You outspeed pretty much everything besides Scarf Darkrais if your opponent has them. Throat Chop being for Gholdengo. Mighty Cleave is also fantastic rock STAB as it bypasses protect, so Gliscors aren't even safe.

Ok I actually got a few games in

Good news! Hydrapple isn't completely useless!
Don't know if it'll be OU but is at least viable. 30% is just enough of a proc rate to be a win condition.

Big agree on Stellar btw. It does nothing for contrary leaf storm serperior.

Other than that, Terapagos is the only thing that seems to immediately be stupid.

welcome back ladder sweats

kyurem has lost roost, and is now FORCED to be DIET baxcalibur, so it can’t stall out its checks anymore and sweep, doubt it‘ll be ubers
View attachment 580379
Ngl, in ZU stellar type tera blast on porygon 2 is kind of unfair at times(with download the special attack drop is negated), but thats because porygon 2 has become an S rank pokemon in ZU anyways. This pokemon was solidly ru last generation

What are thoughts on deo-s? I've only had a handful of games but I'm ready for it to go. It's doing the same things it's always done, taunting and dropping hazards, and hazard removal can't really do much against it. I haven't seen enough of teragos, whatever its called to say anything on it.

Darkrai is a great mon as expected, but too early to call busted. Latios has potential as there's a lack of fairies that can consistently switch in for its specs Draco. Serperior Is also looking pretty solid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 12, Guests: 56)