Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Suspect]

Honestly, it's moreso that it is absolutely destroyed by great tusk. Special bulk is also a major issue, but being outsped and ko'd by a top mon is not good. This is an amazing gambit check with body press.

Edit: Sand teams are back baby! Excadrill is great for the tier in other aspects, as it outspeeds great tusk and can threaten gholdengo while removing hazards. Hope this mon stays in OU, at least for a few months. But thank god it didn't get spikes, that would have just been sad.
Fair enough, more ways to pressure gambit is always appreciated.
~
How does it fare against Balloon Ghold? iirc the main sets in gen 8 where something along the lines of SD/Spin/EQ/Iron Head, which would get rolled by it.

Does Game Freak think physical Electric moves have to cause recoil? Seriously, what happened to a chance at paralysis? Why couldn't it have a beneficial effect? Maybe a flinch possibility or an Attack boost if it misses? Ugh, Electivire and so many other old-gen physical Electric Pokemon can't get a break with physical STAB.

anyway, now that i've made the funny post i wanted to make, let me make a serious post about a mon that i think will not end up being very relevant:

i've been in multiple discussions about :deoxys-defense: and it seems pretty polarizing—some people think it'll be great, some people think it'll be terrible, and no one seems to fall anywhere in between. i personally think deo-d will be bad as things currently stand, and here's why:
  • first off, the terrible defensive typing undercuts its bulk a lot, especially in a meta with so many good dark-type and ghost-type breakers and setup sweepers
  • deo-d is passive as fuck and can easily be exploited by setup sweepers, even with access to what utility it has
  • said setup sweepers include np ghold, gambit, and now darkrai. here's how that goes for deo-d:
+2 252+ Atk Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-Defense: 320-380 (105.2 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-Defense: 272-324 (89.4 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-Defense: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
note that this theoretical deo-d has maximum investment in both defenses, so in practice these matchups may be even harder depending on investment​
  • tera fairy helps it somewhat, but ghold and gambit frequently carry steel stab and darkrai will probably be running sludge bomb a fair amount
  • the literal only thing it can do against ghold is knock off. after this, it can make no meaningful progress against ghold and is always forced out by it. yes, ghold will likely take spikes damage on switch-in, but recover helps a lot with that. having only knock off as an option against ghold didn't work out well at all for mandibuzz and i can't see it working too well for deo-d
  • it can taunt gambit or twave darkrai, but gambit can cleanly 2hko with no boosts so deo has to play taunt/recover mindgames, it has to risk being flinched against darkrai, and it can't cover them both at once
  • luring out gambit and chipping it early is generally valuable, but deo-d isn't doing much in the way of chip unless it sacrifices one of spikes/recover/knock/twave/taunt/skill swap/teleport/whatever. knock is the best option it has to make progress, and sure, that's progress, but deoxys generally dies in that matchup so you arguably lose more than you gain
  • its matchup against gliscor is nonexistent unless you want to slot in ice beam or skill swap. this isn't quite as bad for deo-d as it is in natdex-based metas because gliscor no longer has defog to undo all deo-d's progress, but it's still a pain in the intergalactic ass
  • weavile! weavile is an awful matchup for deo-d thanks to its hard-hitting knock off, and now that it's gotten triple axel back, it's likely to return to its former ou glory. [note: this matchup has occurred fairly frequently in last gen's natdex, which is normally not a good indication of present matchups. however, i feel more than comfortable saying this matchup is bad for deo-d in this format too, since weavile has regained its most meaningful tools and deo-d has lost some of its own]
  • deo-d will likely have about as bad of a time against roaring moon as it does against weavile
  • regen cores. even with spikes up and access to knock off, these are a massive fucking annoyance for deo-d. not only do we already have glowking, amogus, alomomomomola, pex, and torn-t, we also just got a new regenerator mon in hydrapple—among others, hydrapple + glowking seems like it could be a decent core. and we got reuniclus, but that's using magic guard anyway
  • i'm going to be extremely generous here and say it "faces competition" as a bulky spiker from ting-lu and gliscor. i personally would go so far as to say it's outclassed almost entirely by these two, but some people think differently because it's got recover and a better matchup against tusk. this is true, although gliscor can contend very well against tusk if you can play around ice spinner and has a slightly less reliable but way more annoying recovery option
  • one of the arguments i saw in favor of deo-d was that "it absorbs future sight", which ting-lu does literally infinity percent better
  • it's directly outclassed by cresselia in many—in fact, i would even say most—of its non-hazard/knock roles, especially since recover lost its pp advantage over moonlight
  • speaking of recover pp, only 8 of them means that it can't stall out strong attacks with 16 or more pp as easily as it used to
  • obligatory mention that it gets shut down by plenty of normal stallbreaking stuff like encore, taunt, and choice trick
  • at a glance, cosmic power + stored power seems like it could be extremely annoying to break through, but it just takes way too long for stored power to scale enough to start doing actual damage, which allows the opponent ample time to bring in a setup mon and out-setup deoxys with something that gives you +2. and it's hard-walled by dark-types because it doesn't get body press or anything besides stored power that actually deals damage. basically, total kingambit/darkrai/weavile/roaring moon bait
  • being able to viably run teleport is cool and all, but looking at its performances in natdex, it doesn't seem like anyone has been running that in practice. i'm not sure exactly what the reason is for that, so i don't know whether that will translate over to regular ou, but it seems worth mentioning
  • i expect deo-s to be really good, and species clause prevents you from running them both
does anyone else have thoughts about pokemon that they don't think will pan out?
I'm not quite sold on Kyurem just yet. Maybe once the meta stabilizes, but right now it kinda gets bodied by a lot of things. The tier is full of fast fairies & dragons, to check kyurems without subs, Ghold and Garg could be difficult MU's, and Tera Dirge would roll it with torch song.

Like seriously, the only mons in the tier I'm convinced it has a good matchup into is like... the defensive cores and tusk maybe?
I feel like this mon's going to go the way of gen 8 blaziken

DLC2 is here, and with it comes no new defog users...
But on the brightside, we have excadrill, a spinner who outspeeds and threatens Ghold, and Terapagos, who with boots can tank anything Ghold throws on the first hit, and hit it back with either flamethrower or earth power.
Heck it even has ice beam to hit gliscor

I'm not quite sold on Kyurem just yet. Maybe once the meta stabilizes, but right now it kinda gets bodied by a lot of things. The tier is full of fast fairies & dragons, to check kyurems without subs, Ghold and Garg could be difficult MU's, and Tera Dirge would roll it with torch song.

Like seriously, the only mons in the tier I'm convinced it has a good matchup into is like... the defensive cores and tusk maybe?
I feel like this mon's going to go the way of gen 8 blaziken
i mean, it can kinda just do similar things to what loaded dice bax did, but with more bulk and faster in exchange for less damage output and having to use ground tera blast as physical coverage. and that's just physical sets—specs freeze-dry + earth power is nightmarish, especially with tera. and it gets the same benefit under hail + veil that bax did (though weather teams may not be great right now considering that the first few days are probably going to end up being turtles all the way down). i agree that it seems to not have great matchups right at this very moment, but i do think it'll probably go eventually

Last edited:
genesect not being allowed in for the first week is criminal, i hate this place

anyways, Archaludon rain teams anyone? it has ludicrous special attack and fairly respectable bulk, + a 130 BP move that doesn't need to charge in rain (granted, it's not stab, but Tera Electric is RIGHT there).

Pre-DLC, I thought Kyurem would be OP this gen, but with it losing Roost in a hazard hell-hole metagame, I am now unsure. Boots & DD sets were so good in the past because of their access to reliable Recovery, letting them set up & pressure stall a wide range of threats & grab more setup opportunities. However, without Roost, the longevity factor that made these sets strong is gone. DD sets benefit from Loaded Dice at least, but between not being immune to burn, lower attack, being forced to run Dice for reliable STAB, and being forced to Tera to hit Steels, I don't think such sets will be anywhere close to broken like they were on Bax. The only set I think could be op is Specs, but again, in a hazard hellhole meta with less removal, I don't think that set will be all that OP in practice.

So you wanted the tier to be destroyed by scarf u turn. Honestly, fair enough. Metal bug go brrrr.

Pre-DLC, I thought Kyurem would be OP this gen, but with it losing Roost in a hazard hell-hole metagame, I am now unsure. Boots & DD sets were so good in the past because of their access to reliable Recovery, letting them set up & pressure stall a wide range of threats & grab more setup opportunities. However, without Roost, the longevity factor that made these sets strong is gone. DD sets benefit from Loaded Dice at least, but between not being immune to burn, lower attack, being forced to run Dice for reliable STAB, and being forced to Tera to hit Steels, I don't think such sets will be anywhere close to broken like they were on Bax. The only set I think could be op is Specs, but again, in a hazard hellhole meta with less removal, I don't think that set will be all that OP in practice.
Honestly, the main reason why kyurem is so much worse than bax is it can be burned and can actually be hit by a type without a drawback. Like, if it could get burned then it would be way more manageable. Probably still over the top but still.

anyways, Archaludon rain teams anyone? it has ludicrous special attack and fairly respectable bulk, + a 130 BP move that doesn't need to charge in rain (granted, it's not stab, but Tera Electric is RIGHT there).
i believe in archaludon (although i'd prefer to see eviolite duraludon in ou because i have a way better "ou the team" joke for it), but i'm not sure how viable weather teams will be considering the 700-bst weather-clearing elephant in the room

Terapagos-Stellar looks busted and to be the first to go, Terastal not so much.

Excadrill is going to be great outside of sand because it's a great Ground type, Spinner, and Fairy resist that outspeeds Tusk. Another ground type is also great because of Raging Bolt's electric Sucker Punch.

Dragons look really good. Theey have great resistances and offensively theres not a lot of fairy types in the tier or new Bulky steels. The new ones have a nice secondary typing to get past offensively also. Fairy and Steels should be rising. Fairies especially with Roaring Moon and Darkrai added to the tier.

Iron Boulder is now one of the best speed control mon in the tier. The New offensive threats would look overwhelming for stall if it wasn't for some of the returning Fat Mons like Gliscor and Deoxys-D. Deoxys-D joins alongside a few other fat pressure Mons like Suicune and Kyurem that may help more Stall oriented structures as well. Suicune in general looks good.

There are a few more notable fast Ice attacks in the tier now (Meowscarada, Weaviles T axel, darkrai) and that's going to need to be more accounted for.

Serperior and Enamorus may crack Stellar Tera Blast, but it seems fine in the hands of the rest of the tier. Could get nasty on some choice sets. New Dragons and Tera competition with Stellar abusers might keep Volcarona usage down a bit.

Latias brings another healing wish user which is great but in general seems like it's in a bad place as well as Latios.

Excited to see Smeargle again. I want some bullshit. Show me your Smeargles.

i mean, it can kinda just do similar things to what loaded dice bax did, but with more bulk and faster in exchange for less damage output and having to use ground tera blast as physical coverage. and that's just physical sets—specs freeze-dry + earth power is nightmarish, especially with tera. and it gets the same benefit under hail + veil that bax did. i agree that it seems to not have great matchups right at this very moment, but i do think it'll probably go eventually
Fair enough. I was largely thinking in terms of its gen 8 sets, which iirc where like ddance, ice spear, dragon claw, sub?
In the context of a mini bax tho, yeah becomes a lot more interesting. It lacks thermal exchange too, which is pretty big. I could see it staying once meta shifts though, since there's a lot more counterplay to weather. - terapagos, maybe torkoal, archaludon promoting rain.

I Hope Ninetales-A gets back into OU with it at least.

Genesect is not in the game right?

I'm thinking Bridge Sun actually. For a moment in Gen 5 OU Sand Rush Excadrill was not allowed in Sand teams, but it was on Rain, so people ran it in order to counter Sand teams. I need to see the calcs and the spreads, but if Sun is worth it with Hat Entei and whomever else, maybe it's a good idea to run Bridge just to shut down opposing Rain with Electro Shot and keep Sun uncontested. Probably not a good idea tho.

i believe in archaludon (although i'd prefer to see eviolite duraludon in ou because i have a way better "ou the team" joke for it), but i'm not sure how viable weather teams will be considering the 700-bst weather-clearing elephant in the room
Maybe sneasler will be actually balanced??? (Nah, that toxic weasel can go fuck itself to HD1, the most distant object from earth we can see)

Excadrill is going to be great outside of sand because it's a great Ground type, Spinner, and Fairy resist that outspeeds Tusk. Another ground type is also great because of Raging Bolt's electric Sucker Punch.
outspeeds tusk and does nothing to it. Like I get we’re all wanting hazard removal, and exca will probably have some viability, but it won’t be very good at all in the grand scheme of things imo. At least not offensively.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm kinda reposting this since it's way more appropriate in this thread:

NEW MONS I'M EXCITED TO TRY

Screenshot 2023-12-14 053228.png

Gouging Fire @ Loaded Dice / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 88 HP / 168 Atk / 252 Spe ---> 373 HP / 308 Atk / 278 Def / 149 SpA / 222 SpD / 309 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Scale Shot
- Morning Sun

This mon on Sun teams sounds insane. With the Protosynthesis Speed/Atk Boost, Sun-boosted STAB Flare Blitz, Dragon Dance, Morning Sun to recover 75% of your health and an amazing Offensive (resisted by only 8 mons in the entire game) and Defensive (weak to 3 Types, resists 5) Typing, this thing is guaranteed to be good IMO.

---

Screenshot 2023-12-14 053241.png

Raging Bolt @ Booster Energy / Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe ---> 441 HP / 135 Atk / 218 Def / 410 SpA / 214 SpD / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderclap
- Draco Meteor
- Taunt/Thunder Wave

You like Gambit? How about a Special Electric variant? This mon Stats are pretty good in terms of sheer power and bulk, and the below-average Speed doesn't even matter when you have priority. Even better, this mon's Speed is good enough that 56 EVs investment are just what it needs to outspeed Gambit itself. If you really want that immediate extra power, both Booster Energy and Choice Specs will be great choices for this mon.

---

Hydrapple @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD ---> 413 HP / 176 Atk / 256 Def / 372 SpA / 200 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Leaf Storm
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power/Recover

Nasty Plot, good coverage, good Stats all around (besides its Speed), Recover AND Regenerator? I'm sold baby. You could even try an AV set with Giga Drain to really make this thing b u l k y.

---

Screenshot 2023-12-14 053250.png

Iron Boulder @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe ---> 321 HP / 339 Atk / 196 Def / 154 SpA / 253 SpD / 381 Spe (571 with Booster Energy)
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mighty Cleave
- Earthquake
- Close Combat

Iron Valiant the fastest mon in the meta? GTFO here, Iron Boulder is the new cool kid in town. I feel like this is probably gonna be the most viable set, with perhaps Zen Headbutt over CC or EQ to hit Tusk supereffectively.

---

Screenshot 2023-12-14 053319.png

Terapagos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Tera Shell
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe ---> 393 HP / 175 Atk / 256 Def / 248 SpA / 256 SpD/ 261 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Tera Starstorm
- Flamethrower/Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Initially I said that this mon was kinda underwhelming, but I didn't think that its Omega Ultra Tera would be fucking legal in OU. Now it actually feels like a threat.

---

Screenshot 2023-12-16 012946.png

Archaludon @ Air Balloon / Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe ---> 321 HP / 193 Atk / 296 Def / 349 SpA / 167 SpD / 295 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Electro Shot
- Stealth Rock / Body Press / Thunder Wave

Imma be honest I just wanna spam Electro Shot in the Rain.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty keen to try out Iron Crown with a Magearna-style set.

Calm Mind
Agility or Iron Defense
Stored Power
Steel-type signature move whose name escapes me.

This thing gets STAB on Stored Power so its snowball potential is crazy, and doubly so with a good defensive tera like Fairy.

outspeeds tusk and does nothing to it. Like I get we’re all wanting hazard removal, and exca will probably have some viability, but it won’t be very good at all in the grand scheme of things imo. At least not offensively.
I mean, it can threaten gholdengo and gambit on its own, and with sand rush, can outspeed and ohko valiant. Definetly great as it can counter three of the four best mons in the tier. You are right that it does nothing to tusk, but hey, let us have some copium. We at the very least deserve it since we didn't get a rapid spin or defog tm.

You don't pick Excadrill to 1v1 Tusk, but it is nice that it clears the 300 speed tier Tusk sets. Another Spinner is definitely great but the tier is also lacking in viable Ground types in general. Combining that with some of the defensive functionality of the steel type and you have a great spinner that also has good synergy offensive/defensive synergy with the new dragon types and checks dhengo hard.

I really hope Gouging Flame can stay in the tier. It has a very unique defensive profile, plus its access to reliable recovery and red Baneful Bunker means it has some very appealing traits for balance teams, hell I could see it seeing play on Stall for that signature alone. DD sets also seem like they could be very good. Hell, you could detail a team where it's unclear on preview whether it's defensive and offensive and use that to mindgame your opponent. Super cool mon. Sure hope Sun doesn't get it banned :worrywhirl:

I will update this post as more information is discovered, or if any corrections are required. Please let me know if anything is incorrect or missing, thanks. Much thanks to the people in the research thread for sharing their findings so that making this post was possible. The biggest thing I am currently missing is the exact boost given from the Stellar Tera. Below I mentioned it as gaining STAB on attacks, but I will edit this post later and make a new one with more precise findings.

New moves:

Stellar Tera Type Mechanics:
  • This Tera does not change Tera user's type (if Iron Valiant used it, it would remain a Fairy/Fighting type).
  • You are able to get the STAB bonus the first time you use each type of move:
    • If I have a set with Fire Punch + Thunder Punch + Ice Punch + Drain Punch, I would get STAB the first time I use all 4 of those moves
    • You do not get the STAB bonus by attacking with a different move of the same type:
      • If I had Fire Punch + Flamethrower and used Flamethrower already, then neither move would get the STAB bonus afterwards
    • Switching out does not reset this, which means that you only get the STAB bonus once per type for the entire game.
  • Your Attack and Special Attack decrease by 1 Stage after using Tera Blast while Terastallised in this type:
    • Contrary Users such as Serperior and Enamorus will have their stats increased instead like usual.
    • The only exception to this is Terapagos in its Stellar Form, which will retain permanent STAB on everything.
  • Tera Blast will be a base 120 power non-STAB attack that deals neutral damage against everything, and will always be super-effective against Terastallised opponents.
Terapagos Mechanics:
  • There are 3 forms:
    • Normal
      • This is the small form and will not be used in battle. Upon entry, it will automatically transform into the Terastal form (like how Groudon holding a Red Orb would automatically transform into Primal Groudon at all times).
    • Terastal
      • This is essentially the default form.
      • Its ability is similar to Multiscale, but instead, any attack that hits Terapagos at full health will be not very effective.
        • Ghost-type attacks are the exception and Terapagos will remain immune to them.
      • All hits of a multi-attack are resisted (all 4 hits from Scale Shot would be resisted instead of just the first one)
    • Stellar
      • This form is only available by Terastallising Terapagos.
      • This ability is similar to Air Lock, but instead, it eliminates all Weather and all Terrain once per battle.
      • It will end Weather and Terrain, but does not prevent them from being set up again.
      • When used in this form, its signature move, Tera Starstorm will hit everything for neutral damage, and hit Terastallised opponents for super-effective damage.
      • Terapagos in this form becomes an exception to other Stellar-type users, where it will retain STAB on everything for the entire game.
      • Terapagos has higher base stats in this form, including an HP increase from base 90 to 160. This increase will happen as soon as it transforms, similar to Zygarde in its 100% form.
  • Terapagos is locked into the Stellar Tera Type and cannot change it, similar to how Ogerpon is tera locked.
Various Other Mechanics:
The exact attributes of tera stellar are as follows (credits to the battle mechanics thread):Tera stellar: 1.2x boost to non-stab moves, 2x boost to stab moves, only once per type per battle (aka, after the first use of a move of each type, non stab moves get no boosts n' stab moves get the regular 1.5x boost). Base type of stellar tera'd mon, for defensive purposes, doesn't change
Terablast stellar:100bp non-stab (~120bp the first time of use), se against tera'd mons, neutral against all others, always drops attack n' spa.
Terapagos-stellar:2x boost to normal type moves (e.g.double edge), 1.2x boost to all other moves (tera starstorm including).the boost is permanent. Tera starstorm is neutral against targets, se against tera'd mons. Normal type remains for terapagos, as far as defensive attribute is concerned, after tera stellar

sad we got a new spinner in terapagos and is probably too broken for ou; gholdengo should be the second pokemon to be banned, too much hazards

exca can't handle so much good spikers like deobros and gliscor

The exact attributes of tera stellar are as follows (credits to the battle mechanics thread):Tera stellar: 1.2x boost to non-stab moves, 2x boost to stab moves, only once per type per battle (aka, after the first use of a move of each type, non stab moves get no boosts n' stab moves get the regular 1.5x boost). Base type of stellar tera'd mon, for defensive purposes, doesn't change
Terablast stellar:100bp non-stab (~120bp the first time of use), se against tera'd mons, neutral against all others, always drops attack n' spa.
Terapagos-stellar:2x boost to normal type moves (e.g.double edge), 1.2x boost to all other moves (tera starstorm including).the boost is permanent. Tera starstorm is neutral against targets, se against tera'd mons. Normal type remains for terapagos, as far as defensive attribute is concerned, after tera stellar
That seems.... remarkably restrained for they shiny new Tera. Ig it's probably going to become an anti tera gambit tool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 164)