Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where anyone got the idea that there was any serious intent from any poster to unban skymin. The original post just said "skymin is more balanced than darkrai" while still making it clear that both are ubers and should not be tested in any serious capacity. If I said "Ape is less broken than flutter mane" that doesn't mean "Ape is a balanced OU prescence that's weak in ubers and therefore should be retested for OU".

It is a little dissapointing that vikavolt dropped to RU.
I was not expecting it to stay in OU since it is not great but I was hoping that it would drop to UU.

In OU it can be funto use as a bulky attacker.
Vikavolt @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Charge Beam

It can take several hits thanks to its defensive typying.
vikavolt desperately needs boots because of its stealth rock weakness and isn't bulky enough to get away with being that slow. 77/90/75 is pretty bad for a mon with 43 speed and no recovery, even if it does have more spa than bloodmoon. also, 4 attacks is not the way to go with the mon—the only niche i can see it filling is "sticky web user", being one of the scant few mons that gets it

FayaWizard

Amnesia
is an official Team Rater
vikavolt desperately needs boots because of its stealth rock weakness and isn't bulky enough to get away with being that slow. 77/90/75 is pretty bad for a mon with 43 speed and no recovery, even if it does have more spa than bloodmoon. also, 4 attacks is not the way to go with the mon—the only niche i can see it filling is "sticky web user", being one of the scant few mons that gets it
It's not even good as a webs setter since Ribombee is so much better that there's no contest, vikavolt just sucks in ou way too slow to pull off anything

I don't know where anyone got the idea that there was any serious intent from any poster to unban skymin. The original post just said "skymin is more balanced than darkrai" while still making it clear that both are ubers and should not be tested in any serious capacity. If I said "Ape is less broken than flutter mane" that doesn't mean "Ape is a balanced OU prescence that's weak in ubers and therefore should be retested for OU".
This is true, however I think this comparison is inherently asinine to begin with. Darkrai and Skymin are not in the same league of brokenness at all. Darkrai may still legitimately be too much for OU, but it still has to find opportunity to set up, and it needs position itself around the opponent’s Scarfers, Booster Valiants, and priority users to do so. Meanwhile, Skymin just has to click funny haha Seed Flare and odds are anything that switches into its nuke then immediately has its special defense halved. No solid counters, no setup required, just click Seed Flare and Air Slash and win. Uncompetitive is a buzzword that’s thrown around too much but Skymin is genuinely uncompetitive with how easily it swings around game-winning RNG. Darkrai shouldn’t be tested before DLC2, but in a post-DLC2 world, I don’t want to see anyone comparing these two if more Darkrai talks come up.

Regarding Vikavolt, I don't see it as a good Webber when Ribombee, Masquerain and even Leavanny exist. The only Vikavolt niche is Trick Room breaker that resists Grass and most Tusk moves. Learning Grass moves naturally leaves room for Tera Ice Blast, so no Grounds except Treads and maybe Clodsire wall him. Of course, the cons of this is having to use Trick Room and probably commiting to Tera this bug.

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
Is CB/some other offensive item Zamazenta a complete meme set?
Looking at its movepool and stats it *feels* like something real could be kicked out of it, like:

:zamazenta: @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
Tera Type: Fairy / Steel / Poison / Fire
Moves:
- Close Combat
- Crunch
(- Play Rough / Heavy Slam / Psychic Fangs / Crunch / Ice Fang / Wild Charge) * 2
Free Palafin.
though it being vulnerable to all Hazards, CC not being able to hit Ghosts and the moderate power of some of the coverage options maybe advises against it IG.

Last edited:

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
Regarding Vikavolt, I don't see it as a good Webber when Ribombee, Masquerain and even Leavanny exist. The only Vikavolt niche is Trick Room breaker that resists Grass and most Tusk moves. Learning Grass moves naturally leaves room for Tera Ice Blast, so no Grounds except Treads and maybe Clodsire wall him. Of course, the cons of this is having to use Trick Room and probably commiting to Tera this bug.
IDK how well you can break in trick room with 90 BP stabs, even off of 145 SpA the unboosted neutral hits don't look like they're going to blow stuff out of the water.
To me it looks like it just makes no sense in the tier.

IDK how well you can break in trick room with 90 BP stabs, even off of 145 SpA the unboosted neutral hits don't look like they're going to blow stuff out of the water.
To me it looks like it just makes no sense in the tier.
I am not saying it's easy to do, I am saying it's the best shot Vikavolt has at being viable in OU. And pretty sure 145 Special Attack is good enough with electric, bug, grass and ice coverage you hit most of OU either effectively or neutral + frail target. You could certainly do much worse than Vikavolt.

fair enough, but i still think that dropping a bunch of stuff like last gen will hurt things more than helping them. dropping that many things at once was a massive blow to gen 8's already tarnished legacy. it turned what could have been maybe a month's worth of cleanup into something like four months and a lot of people were checked out at that point
Completely agree. Unless we somehow get like 3 god-tanks theres no way something like Chien Pao or Annihilape is magically going to become unbroken. Let's not waste anymore time retreading old ground to see if these mons are still broken after DLC2. I think we spend enough time banning the broken mons that exist in OU anyways.

Is CB/some other offensive item Zamazenta a complete meme set?
Looking at its movepool and stats it *feels* like something real could be kicked out of it, like:

:zamazenta: @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
Tera Type: Fairy / Steel / Poison / Fire
Moves:
- Close Combat
- Crunch
(- Play Rough / Heavy Slam / Psychic Fangs / Crunch / Ice Fang / Wild Charge) * 2
Free Palafin.
though it being vulnerable to all Hazards, CC not being able to hit Ghosts and the moderate power of some of the coverage options maybe advises against it IG.
FE3ABC06-524E-49B0-A968-860D8114A230.jpeg

dr lightmode over here thought he was real slick huh

best switch-ins for Gliscor? I feel like most of the ones I've tried (Ogerpon-W, Rillaboom) get screwed by Toxic or can't make progress on it.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
Completely agree. Unless we somehow get like 3 god-tanks theres no way something like Chien Pao or Annihilape is magically going to become unbroken. Let's not waste anymore time retreading old ground to see if these mons are still broken after DLC2. I think we spend enough time banning the broken mons that exist in OU anyways.
Ehh… Pao I’d say I’m more inclined to agree with you. But I do think there’s legs for an Annihilape drop.

The meta has gotten a lot faster since the base game meta. For a long time, Ape was at its best punishing balance and bulky offense with its BU set. I think that the BU set would still be good: rage fist is super gross. But I think it would have issues setting up. It also doesn’t help Ape that the hazards meta is rougher for it. I just think with the meta shifts we have seen and how long ago it was legal, it could be worth a drop.

It also helps that it was pushed over the edge directly due to Tera on the BU set. Since we know that Tera is getting looked at then, that might make Ape more of a palatable drop.

DaddyBuzzwole how does it feel to be the funniest person on all of smogon
i've always thought Player J was funnier, but i don't think any of his humor is intentional. he's more like the competitive pokemon equivalent of the "i don't get it. ever used ganondorf?" guy or the hitmonchan obama tulpa guy. but in terms of internet clowns who are doing it on purpose, yeah, i would definitely rank myself up there

best switch-ins for Gliscor? I feel like most of the ones I've tried (Ogerpon-W, Rillaboom) get screwed by Toxic or can't make progress on it.
Corv can switch in at the cost of getting its item knocked off. Gliscor can't really do anything except switch out, which you can respond by clicking u-turn (inevitably getting static'd by Zapdos but still...)

best switches i've found are, in no particular order:
  • tera flying garganacl (which doesn't really do anything back but at least salt cure neutralizes the poison heal)
  • neutralizing gas geezing
  • air balloon gholdengo, but only for non-knock sets
  • tera poison moonlight bloodmoon if you play the protect mindgames right
  • take heart manaphy
  • skill swap ribombee
…yeah ok this thing might be a problem

Ehh… Pao I’d say I’m more inclined to agree with you. But I do think there’s legs for an Annihilape drop.

The meta has gotten a lot faster since the base game meta. For a long time, Ape was at its best punishing balance and bulky offense with its BU set. I think that the BU set would still be good: rage fist is super gross. But I think it would have issues setting up. It also doesn’t help Ape that the hazards meta is rougher for it. I just think with the meta shifts we have seen and how long ago it was legal, it could be worth a drop.

It also helps that it was pushed over the edge directly due to Tera on the BU set. Since we know that Tera is getting looked at then, that might make Ape more of a palatable drop.
Oh this is all under the assumption tera stays. Obviously if tera goes, we can start looking at more things. But with Tera still around I doubt we would keep Annihilape.

On a side note, if tera does get banned, I strongly do want to see Annihilape retested in OU.

DaddyBuzzwole how does it feel to be the funniest person on all of smogon
i've always thought Player J was funnier, but i don't think any of his humor is intentional. he's more like the competitive pokemon equivalent of the "i don't get it. ever used ganondorf?" guy or the hitmonchan obama tulpa guy. but in terms of internet clowns who are doing it on purpose, yeah, i would definitely rank myself up there
Let's do some math. You joined Smogon Forums (at this time) January 4th this year

And you have 929 messages with a total of (currently) 4,969 reactions total. Math some math and we got a grand total of 5 people being like "haha" or "grr" or anything in between for everyone of your posts on average.

How the FUCK did this happen? I got no clue. But legit you be the skibidi toilet of Smogon bro. 5k reactions in 9 months is just... wow. I don't understand how or why or who in the world this happened but you are a special breed of human tomohawk

But for not doing another reply, the type combination Annihilape has is just goated, probably the best offensive typing currently existing, with Fighting being the type that hits the most types in the game (Normal, Rock, Steel, Ice and Dark), but against Ghost is useless, which then its Ghost type comes in, being easily offensive spammable everywhere, hitting even the Ghost type it couldn't touch at all, but it's resisted by Dark and totally can't touch Normal at all, but guess what? Fighting just helps it! And with a Fighting/Ghost combination can hit EVERY type for at least neutral damage, and it's STAB are resisted by only another dual type, and the latter is even immune, Normal/Ghost of the Hisuian Zorua line.

Bringing Annihilape back in OU would be like playing Table Tennis knowing that the ball is just a literally living angry bomb that can easily explode,in any moment, and even if Tera gets banned, it would still have a STAB exclusive move that at full power is 350BP after only six hits, and it's bulky enough to reach at least 200BP in most matches, as it gets also Drain Punch, and you can't easily status like Toxic, since some of its common sets include Rest with a Chesto Berry.

If we really want back Annihilape then we have to be really sure of the risk we are getting by releasing it from the chains of Uber

Tera's not getting banned. I don't know why people are pretending otherwise. I keep seeing 'if tera gets banned'. Like dog, it's not happening, stop holding out hope. I don't even think there's gonna be any kind of restriction at this point.

There's way too many people who have the circular logic of

we need tera to beat back broken mons.

well just ban the broken mons

Well they're not broken with Tera

as well as casual style players that are OK with 'Broken Checks Broken - the Generation' to ever ban the mechanic. It's here to stay.

Last edited:
Tera's not getting banned. I don't know why people are pretending otherwise. I keep seeing 'if tera gets banned'. Like dog, it's not happening, stop holding out hope. I don't even think there's gonna be any kind of restriction at this point.

There's way too many people who have the circular logic of

we need tera to beat back broken mons.

well just ban the broken mons

Well they're not broken with Tera

as well as casual style players that are OK with 'Broken Checks Broken - the Generation' to ever ban the mechanic. It's here to stay.
its weird
i def wanted to ban tera,
but i love gen3 and it has hidden power, which is a similar situation to tera
so in terms of competitiveness, tera is probably fine
however i def think making some changes to the mechanic is reasonable
and if changes are made, saying certain mons don't belong in ubers is reasonable as well

I aim to dethrone :puff:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)