Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
waiting on the inevitable attempt to justify groundceus in OU because it needs its item slot and "120 stats across the board aren't that good anyway"
Those stats on a Ground type just sounds like a fast Ting-Lu that can be a Special Attacker instead of Physical if it wants. :P Also, 120s aren't a selling point when you have to compete with other Arceus forums. What do you mean this isn't the UUbers thread?!

Slightly more seriously, the jokes about UU being the new OU and OU being the new UU for Ubers makes me wonder what an actual UUbers meta would be like. (How many bans would be needed for it to work and how many Arceus types would stay legal?)

literally all of this is thanks to Gliscor
heatran and garchomp were pushing uu last month too. everyone knew heatran was bound to slide further since it didn't get anything new in the dlc. some people thought scale shot might save garchomp from uu, including myself, but others had their doubts even before gliscor rose to dominance. ursaluna being uu happened before gliscor even existed, so that's just an actual lie. as for garganacl, it also has really hard matchups against waterpon and manaphy even though they don't like switching in on salt cure, plus bloodmoon and rillaboom

now that the usage statistics dropped, i was finally able to waste an hour and a half of my life on this
View attachment 556987
I hope Chaos is saving these to go in the site-long collage he's definitely been building all these years, these are more informative than some entire issues of The Smog. I don't know what's best, all the Dark Knight/DKR references or Hisuian Jetstream Sam.

Honestly wish we could just go back to treating Ubers as an ordinary banlist again and not another tier.
That wouldn't change anything???? Like, Ubers has basically been treated as its own tier since Gen 4, and was all but officially made one when it was being featured in big official tournements starting around Gen 5's release from the quick look I did to refresh my memory before it was given official status some time after. Stripping that away won't magically make all the stuff you hate in OU disappear overnight, and thinking it will is incredibly silly

Last edited:
Garchbros...

I have complete faith that garchomp will rise back up. It's SD loaded dice sets are no joke, and it lacked a lot of usage it would have otherwise gotten since bax stole its spotlight for most of the month. It doesn't help that bax was an amazing check with ice shard.

I'm confident that Garchjesus will return and he will be garchriumphant.

bax stole its spotlight for most of the month. It doesn't help that bax was an amazing check with ice shard.
Bad was banned extremely early after the dlc released and couldn't hope to cannibalize Chomp's usage when it wasn't around to do so. Roaring Moon is more guilty of this, as it's a far better set up dragon.

That wouldn't change anything???? Like, Ubers has basically been treated as its own tier since Gen 4, and was all but officially made one when it was being featured in big official tournements starting around Gen 5's release from the quick look I did to refresh my memory before it was given official status some time after. Stripping that away won't magically make all the stuff you hate in OU disappear overnight, and thinking it will is incredibly silly
My complaint about Ubers being a tier is what it does to the culture of Smogon. Ubers should've been equivalent to the Yu-Gi-Oh banlist, a proverbial Shadow Realm where everything judged too powerful was sent and never to be used, unless future developments gave it reason to be let back into ordinary play. Instead we have this environment where people are continually claiming stuff should be unbanned because some Ubers "aren't viable" and promoting overly gimmicky concepts like "UUbers" and "OUBL" purely because they want to centralize everything into optimized metas. It's just pointless and, harsh as it might sound, genuinely unprofessional.

Ubers should've been equivalent to the Yu-Gi-Oh banlist, a proverbial Shadow Realm where everything judged too powerful was sent and never to be used,
Why should it be this way.

Instead we have this environment where people are continually claiming stuff should be unbanned because some Ubers "aren't viable" and promoting overly gimmicky concepts like "UUbers" and "OUBL" purely because they want to centralize everything into optimized metas. It's just pointless and, harsh as it might sound, genuinely unprofessional.
This isn't nearly as common as you seem to believe it is.

My complaint about Ubers being a tier is what it does to the culture of Smogon. Ubers should've been equivalent to the Yu-Gi-Oh banlist, a proverbial Shadow Realm where everything judged too powerful was sent and never to be used, unless future developments gave it reason to be let back into ordinary play. Instead we have this environment where people are continually claiming stuff should be unbanned because some Ubers "aren't viable" and promoting overly gimmicky concepts like "UUbers" and "OUBL" purely because they want to centralize everything into optimized metas. It's just pointless and, harsh as it might sound, genuinely unprofessional.
Then unless you can go back in time to like, 2008 (or even earlier tbh) and convince everyone that wanted to play Ubers back then that actually, no you can't ever and it's inherently wrong and bad, then you aren't getting your wish lol. And also, as a bit of info since you really don't seem to have knowledge of what Smogon was like back then at all, people absolutely were talking about "UUbers" and "OUBL" and even testing previously Uber Pokemon to see if they could be brought down late 2000's and early 2010's. I've even saw people trying to argue for a UUBL tier/ladder of sorts back in Gen 4 because they wanted to have a place where Staraptor and other Pokemon could wander around in.

This isn't nearly as common as you seem to believe it is.
Bro smoking that r/stunfisk pack

Then unless you can go back in time to like, 2008 (or even earlier tbh) and convince everyone that wanted to play Ubers back then that actually, no you can't ever and it's inherently wrong and bad, then you aren't getting your wish lol. And also, as a bit of info since you really don't seem to have knowledge of what Smogon was like back then at all, people absolutely were talking about "UUbers" and "OUBL" and even testing previously Uber Pokemon to see if they could be brought down late 2000's and early 2010's. I've even saw people trying to argue for a UUBL tier/ladder of sorts back in Gen 4 because they wanted to have a place where Staraptor and other Pokemon could wander around in.
in GSC UUBL was a playable tier!

Ever since Anything Goes became a legitimate tier where pokemon did get banned into, I have been cooly waiting for the Modest Proposal of an Overused Ubers tier and an Underused Ubers Tier, to seperate the Mewtwos from the Genesects and what not. To ensure a fun and diverse Ubers meta game in what was once the place you banned stuff too strong for OU.

Speaking of which looking at the drops and rises I think OU is completely upside down and Gliscor is becoming the Gliscapegoat for it. Either ice coverage isn't cutting it, or OU has actually been starving for utility tools on pokemon that can actually just keep up with the power creep. Gliscor just happened to keep a lot of the tools that are really hard to find in a pokemon with it's sustain.

Reactions: MrE
Speaking of which looking at the drops and rises I think OU is completely upside down and Gliscor is becoming the Gliscapegoat for it. Either ice coverage isn't cutting it, or OU has actually been starving for utility tools on pokemon that can actually just keep up with the power creep. Gliscor just happened to keep a lot of the tools that are really hard to find in a pokemon with it's sustain.
It's Gholdengo, I think. It's hard to understate the influence that it, Great Tusk, Kingambit, and Iron Valiant have had on the meta, and I think only something dramatic like banning Tera and/or Booster Energy can really fix things.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Blissey is the only thing that walls blood moon, and due to that you can tell something is very wrong with blood moon Ursaluna. Bloodmoon ursaluna truly is the cocaine bear we feared pre gen 9.

Garchomp, now victim of new toy. Will probably be back in a month honestly since garchomp felt pretty good to use with scale shot when I played around with it, can definitely compete with Gliscor as a sweeper thanks to scale shot and having a better speed tier to work with

Also Tornadus-T and Alomomola seemed to have picked up in usage in OU towards the end of the month, which means we could get them in the next OU shift, as both have been feeling pretty great to use as of right now.
Also surprised toxapex survived, its been facing some very stiff competition right now as just a fat regen Mon in this HO meta and as a toxic spiker.
Yeah, fuck Bloodmoon Ursaluna. I honestly can't even begin to imagine that the guys at gamefreak who added them are sane people. I really hope it gets banned but after the Kingambit suspect, I would be more surprised if it does get banned

I think so as well. Garchomp with scale shot is still nothing to scoff at really and I've been using it with liquidation as the fourth move. It works well with Kingambit because either Garchomp sweeps or takes out a brokenGambit check, one of them anyway. I've also thought that Gliscor and Garchomp never really competed with since forever as Gliscor always leaned towards utility or defensive while Garchomp has always focused on its better offense like they did in gen 7. Defensive Gliscor and z move Garchomp. It was only last gen Garchomp began leaning more towards its defensive abilities because Heatran is annoying, and I guess gen 6 tank Garchomp as well

I hope that Tornadus returns. It's actually ironic that it dropped considering that it finally has slightly better stab that still never hits when you need it to. I never realized how big of a deal knock off was for it. Always thought that was the most expendable move it had last gen on its defog set

waiting on the inevitable attempt to justify groundceus in OU because it needs its item slot and "120 stats across the board aren't that good anyway"
Bruh, the people who says this sort of thing should really play Ubers. Arceus is not easy to kill at all. You would need a lot of hazards just to wear it down and even then, it can always recover in your face and find a way to screw you over since it now has taunt and dragon dance. It also has extremespeed so any set can become extreme killer with tera

It's Gholdengo, I think. It's hard to understate the influence that it, Great Tusk, Kingambit, and Iron Valiant have had on the meta, and I think only something dramatic like banning Tera and/or Booster Energy can really fix things.
tusk isn't actually influencing the meta at all, its high usage has always been a response to other mons that heavily influence the meta. people need something that can remove hazards and answer gholdengo at the same time? tusk. people need something that can defensively and offensively answer kingambit? tusk. people need something with knock off and an ice move because of gliscor? tusk. great tusk isn't the second most used mon in the tier because it's a problem, but because it's a solution

Garchbros...

I have complete faith that garchomp will rise back up. It's SD loaded dice sets are no joke, and it lacked a lot of usage it would have otherwise gotten since bax stole its spotlight for most of the month. It doesn't help that bax was an amazing check with ice shard.

I'm confident that Garchjesus will return and he will be garchriumphant.
We shall make it reach one Garchillion percent usage in OU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 67)