Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't a better fast regenerator though.

Glowking fills a completely different niche (slow pivot vs. fast pivot) but both have value. They actually complement each other really well and form a great regenerator core.
Rn the defensive profile of other regen mons is better, and slow pivot is prefered most of the time with all the strong stuff around you want to bring your mons as safe as they can especially when things like chip in Tusk could end on Gambit sweeping your team in the end game.
Other thing, I knew that Lando wouldn't beat Tusk im usage,but I honestly thought that Lando would be at least in the top 10, the nerfs hit it hard.

BLISSEY HYPER OFFENSE BABY!!

63A95BE5-5631-4A97-9CAF-575EED669415.jpeg

Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Fairy/Ghost
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Okay so I’m gonna be honest: this started out as a joke. The concept itself does sound stupid. I was thinking about how Blissey lost a lot of its options in Gen 9, and how it could adapt to the metagame. So then I thought “why not just make it an offensive mon lmao”. I was going to label this thing as a one off gimmick, but the more I used it the more I realized how… weirdly optimized it is for the Gen 9 OU metagame

Blissey has a great special move pool, with a lot of decent options for certain mons (for example you could run Focus Blast for Kingambit), but the one I used was BoltBeam, so I’ll focus on that. There are a lot of other great options, for example it even gets STAB Hyper Voice, but I have yet to try it out so I can’t say how good it is

Even with no investment Blissey is still very specially bulky, so it gets a lot of switch in opportunities against most special attackers. Even against boosting threats like Enamorus and Gholdengo, it can match their boosts with its own CM. Its physical bulk is nothing to scoff at either. It's not brushing physical hits like they’re nothing, but it can survive them enough to strike back. Here have some funny calcs:

0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 270-318 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 312-367 (47.9 - 56.3%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 504-594 (77.4 - 91.2%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 Atk Black Glasses Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 333-393 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Unless the move is named Close Combat, Blissey can survive the vast majority of non-boosted physical hits in the meta. Which is important because these are the mons switching into Blissey, not the other way around. If Blissey is walling the opponent’s mon (which it likely is), the opponent is going to switch into something like Tusks because:

1. Non-offensive Blissey (so just the standard variant lol) is very passive, so normally taking advantage of it is normally very easy. This is a weakness that offensive blissey fixes. Instead of being a momentum sink, it's actually very restricting to switch into.
  2. Offensive Blissey itself forces switches. Not only because of BoltBeam coverage threatening the mon on the field, but because it can spam Calm Mind to blow past the rest of their team. Calm Mind boosts it gets really easily mind you.

Seriously, I’ve pulled off sweeps with Blissey of all things, which is a sentence that has never been said in the history of competitive pokemon, but its true.

Here’s a team I’ve been using: https://pokepast.es/9dca5147251dc095

And here are a few replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1895355044-6o8khq9d099ksmf9lujyu0xtnwyzu93pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1895232173-0wg8sg26va8e5lggrjff3n4pfszi1s1pw

Why is Samurott in top5 above the two moonblast monsters and barely behind Gholdengo?
Are this stats considering all the ladder or only focusing on the top portion of it?
I feel less bad getting stomped by the otter now, but I'm so confused. On paper and when I use him, he is very underwhelming, yet here we are. 1/4 of teams are using him...
And why not use Glimmora if you want reliable spikes while threatening GT and Hatterena?

a
BLISSEY HYPER OFFENSE BABY!!

View attachment 530865
Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Fairy/Ghost
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Okay so I’m gonna be honest: this started out as a joke. The concept itself does sound stupid. I was thinking about how Blissey lost a lot of its options in Gen 9, and how it could adapt to the metagame. So then I thought “why not just make it an offensive mon lmao”. I was going to label this thing as a one off gimmick, but the more I used it the more I realized how… weirdly optimized it is for the Gen 9 OU metagame

Blissey has a great special move pool, with a lot of decent options for certain mons (for example you could run Focus Blast for Kingambit), but the one I used was BoltBeam, so I’ll focus on that. There are a lot of other great options, for example it even gets STAB Hyper Voice, but I have yet to try it out so I can’t say how good it is

Even with no investment Blissey is still very specially bulky, so it gets a lot of switch in opportunities against most special attackers. Even against boosting threats like Enamorus and Gholdengo, it can match their boosts with its own CM. Its physical bulk is nothing to scoff at either. It's not brushing physical hits like they’re nothing, but it can survive them enough to strike back. Here have some funny calcs:

0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 270-318 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 312-367 (47.9 - 56.3%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 504-594 (77.4 - 91.2%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 Atk Black Glasses Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 333-393 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Unless the move is named Close Combat, Blissey can survive the vast majority of non-boosted physical hits in the meta. Which is important because these are the mons switching into Blissey, not the other way around. If Blissey is walling the opponent’s mon (which it likely is), the opponent is going to switch into something like Tusks because:

1. Non-offensive Blissey (so just the standard variant lol) is very passive, so normally taking advantage of it is normally very easy. This is a weakness that offensive blissey fixes. Instead of being a momentum sink, it's actually very restricting to switch into.
  2. Offensive Blissey itself forces switches. Not only because of BoltBeam coverage threatening the mon on the field, but because it can spam Calm Mind to blow past the rest of their team. Calm Mind boosts it gets really easily mind you.

Seriously, I’ve pulled off sweeps with Blissey of all things, which is a sentence that has never been said in the history of competitive pokemon, but its true.

Here’s a team I’ve been using: https://pokepast.es/9dca5147251dc095

And here are a few replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1895355044-6o8khq9d099ksmf9lujyu0xtnwyzu93pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1895232173-0wg8sg26va8e5lggrjff3n4pfszi1s1pw
Fashion effect be like : #2023smogonbitch :blissey:
Blissey is hotter with Serene Grace and Quick Claw.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Why is Samurott in top5 above the two moonblast monsters and barely behind Gholdengo?
Are this stats considering all the ladder or only focusing on the top portion of it?
I feel less bad getting stomped by the otter now, but I'm so confused. On paper and when I use him, he is very underwhelming, yet here we are. 1/4 of teams are using him...
And why not use Glimmora if you want reliable spikes while threatening GT and Hatterena?
I think its because Ceaseless Edge forces spikes on the opposing side and is a real nice add for the spark of Hyper Offensive teams we've been seeing. Glimmora could easily get Magic Bounced by Hatterene but that's not the case with Ceaseless Edge since it bypasses the ability. Also when you think about common Rapid Spinners (Namely Tusk) it doesn't want to get Razor Shell'd by Samurott-H

252+ Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 210-248 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hamurott is a lot more versatile as a Spikes setter than Glimmora is, with the latter usually stuck on HO teams when being used to set them up. Hamurott, on the other hand, can be used as a Spikes lead, a SD sweeper, or a choiced attacker (Band or Scarf) while setting Spikes with Ceaseless Edge. Hatterene can also Tera Steel to be immune to Poison STAB and Mortal Spin, making Glimm's job harder, while Hamurott just mindlessly clicks Edge with no repercussion other than a rare miss.

Ceaseless Edge + Sharpness basically guarantees you're setting a layer of Spikes AND doing damage no matter what and with Razor Shell, it checks the tiers best spinner in Great Tusk with Tera Ghost.

Hisui Samurott just has far too much utility, and it's funny because you can even run it offensively and still get results.

Ceaseless Edge + Sharpness basically guarantees you're setting a layer of Spikes AND doing damage no matter what and with Razor Shell, it checks the tiers best spinner in Great Tusk with Tera Ghost.

Hisui Samurott just has far too much utility, and it's funny because you can even run it offensively and still get results.
Yeah, it even gets knock if you feel like having two dark moves on a set

I second the inquiry. Does anyone know what got Sandyshocks usage to the point of actually rising to OU? I'm curious the effect this has on UU as well since Shocks I recall being influential enough for a Suspect (albeit not banned from it).

I second the inquiry. Does anyone know what got Sandyshocks usage to the point of actually rising to OU? I'm curious the effect this has on UU as well since Shocks I recall being influential enough for a Suspect (albeit not banned from it).
There was also a Lead Sandy Shocks Screens team that some YouTuber made that was running amok for a bit. I faced it six times in 10 matches at one point a couple weeks ago

Nice Speed after Booster Energy, once per battle but played well it's good
Stealth Rock, and even Spikes for HO
Tbolt+Earth Power+Tera Ice is pretty nice coverage from a 121 SpAtk creature
Threatens the Top 10 Usage in fact, even Valiant doesn't like neutral special hits
Ground typing makes it immune to Zapdos Volt Switch and resists it's Hurricanes

Overall solid mon and happy cause Magneton is a nice design and it got another chance to shine on competitive :Sandy Shocks:

911.png

Skeledirge @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp/Tera Blast

Having trouble with Sneasler? Iron Valiant? Zamazenta? Dragonite? Gargnacl? Hatterena? GSlowking? Belly Drummers? Dragon type DD/SD?
Full def Covert Cloack Skeledirge is your answer! Never fear the 20% defense drop from crunch anymore!

Rn the defensive profile of other regen mons is better, and slow pivot is prefered most of the time with all the strong stuff around you want to bring your mons as safe as they can especially when things like chip in Tusk could end on Gambit sweeping your team in the end game.
Other thing, I knew that Lando wouldn't beat Tusk im usage,but I honestly thought that Lando would be at least in the top 10, the nerfs hit it hard.
Again, Glowking (best regenerator in OU - no argument there) and Torn-T have excellent synergy. Glowking is weak to ground, Torn is immune to it, both have regenerator.

You don't have to pick one or the other... they are both useful and they actually complement each other extremely well.

View attachment 530877
Skeledirge @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp/Tera Blast

Having trouble with Sneasler? Iron Valiant? Zamazenta? Dragonite? Gargnacl? Hatterena? GSlowking? Belly Drummers? Dragon type DD/SD?
Full def Covert Cloack Skeledirge is your answer! Never fear the 20% defense drop from crunch anymore!
IMG_3480.jpeg

This is the reason you need a Hatterena on your team and Samurott to get banned.

More seriously I use Assault Vest Iron Treads to take care of the problem, but it isn’t always reliable. Not more unreliable that checking Iron Defense Zamz spamming crunch in order to get your defense lowered.
Is Iron Treads playable?

Is Iron Treads playable?
Slightly better raw special bulk than Great Tusk, but a much better defensive typing means he can take a hit on the special side and stay in, and between the two it makes Assault Vest usable as more than a gimmick. This is particularly valuable against the fairies, since he can whack them with a steel STAB for super effective damage while not particularly fearing their coverage moves, and having a neutral STAB versus flying is nice as well. Half of the tier's flying types have a secondary to resist steel, but not all, and it still smacks tera-flying.

Beyond that, there's actually relevant mons between Tusk's and Treads' speed tier now, which is a small added advantage, and he can pull a Steel Beam suicide hazards lead if you want. Plus, if you want to run Zamazenta, you're not stacking fighting types if you go with Treads.

Tusk is still the better mon by default, but Treads has very clear advantages over his grandpa.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Who uses Treads? :row::regiF:
From what I can speculate, Treads seems to have a strong mu vs Zapdos. Being an electric immunity not hit hard by Hurricane. Treads can threaten back with Knock or Ice Spinner and only fears the potential Heat Wave. It also has a better mu vs Ghold due to having better special bulk and a steel resist.

Now for thoughts on the drops cause the only rise this month is Sandy Shocks.

IMG_4578.png
: Personally I find Bascu underrated. I talked about it earlier but its Craw if it traded Knock Off and reliable secondary STAB for better bulk/speed and spinblocking capabilities. In fact it actually hits harder than Craw due to Wave Crash being even stronger than Crabhammer. Also having hard hitting priority to snipe offensive threats is valuable. Right now it faces alot of competition with Bax and Samu, but I think after some meta shifts we could see this big fish return.

IMG_0146.png
: Loom got hit hard by Home and it is unfortunate cause I was looking forward to it finally being OU viable after being mediocre since XY and dormant for an entire generation. Zapdos, Enamorus, Torn, Sneasler, and Glowking all are great Loom checks, too great in fact. Competition with other more reliable fighting types like Sneasler, Valiant, or Zama also doesn’t help its case. Plus its old checks like Ghold, Amoonguss, and Pult are still here and thriving. I guess it can anti-lead Samu with a Scarf Bullet Seed set, but its gimmicky and 70 base speed scarfers have been long out of style for a decade now.

IMG_4579.png
: Enam-T was overlooked a bit due to its Incarnate form just being a better mon. However Turtle Enamorus has been popping off a couple of times in WCOP. Its bulk makes it better at tanking threats like Valiant, Pult, Tusk, and Zama. It also became a great candidate on screen teams. Either it becomes a bulky lower tier mon with a prominent OU niche like Reuniclus, or it rises as the meta slows down.

IMG_4581.png
: Pre-Home, Meow was amazing due to its ability to effortlessly set up spikes, make progress with Knock + U-Turn, and outspeed the opposition. However Home is more hostile to Morgana. The metagame is bulkier and stronger. Threats like Zapdos and Enamorus hurt its offensive presence. Yes it can threaten them with Knock, but Zapdos can ruin it with Static while Enamorus threatens Meow’s team with high power Moonblast + coverage. Meow has also gained competition with Sneasler who is another speedy physical attacker with U-Turn who can hit even harder while crippling the opposition with Dire Claw. Zama is also a huge threat that can eat a hit and threaten Meow back. As an offensive spike lead it faces competition from the new Samu-H who can threaten Tusk like Meow and outperforms Meow with its typing + Encore + usable enough bulk.Its still good, offensive grass types are rare and invaluable. Also Knock Off is still broken, but it isn’t top 10 like it was Pre-Home.

IMG_4576.png
: The Volc ban really hit Dirge hard. Meta trends aren’t really favorable for Dirge atm despite the obvious advantage an Unaware wall has vs the abundance of HO teams. The problem is most of the mons it wants to check have ways around it. Enamorus can click EP, Valiant can click Sball or Knock, and Sneasler can break with Dire Claw and coverage, Cinderace can U-Turn into something that threatens Dirge. Often times it is forced to Tera which means it can’t check those specific targets. The only exceptions are mons like Zama who Dirge can still ward off just fine. Wisp is also kinda inconsistent with its 85 acc and most of the time it is forced to Slack Off after an interaction, which means losing momentum. Also Samu-H is a big threat that can switch into Dirge to set up a layer of Spikes in front of its face.

IMG_5210.png
: I’m of the opinion that Torn is underrated. Tera is such a blessing for it and lets it be flexible. Want to lure Garg? Tera Grass G-Knot. Need to lure Gambit? Tera Fighting Focus Miss. Need a spinblocker that threatens Tusk? Tera Ghost. Need a Valiant check? Tera Poison. Want a Glowking lure AND a Ghost resist? Tera Dark. Have you dreamed of a fast Steel or Fairy type with U-Turn and Regen? You’re a monster for dreaming that but now you can with Tera Steel/Fairy. Besides Tera, it outspeeds Sneasler by 1 point, and can annoy defensive mons with NP + Taunt. I’ve been experimenting with RH Torn which punishes annoying pivots like Cinder and in conjunction with U-Turn from Sneasler or Meow, can prevent Samu from getting a single layer of spikes. Also Torn has great synergy with its Gen 8 partner in crime Glowking.

Good luck with all the chaos for a month UU.

From what I can speculate, Treads seems to have a strong mu vs Zapdos. Being an electric immunity not hit hard by Hurricane. Treads can threaten back with Knock or Ice Spinner and only fears the potential Heat Wave. It also has a better mu vs Ghold due to having better special bulk and a steel resist.

Now for thoughts on the drops cause the only rise this month is Sandy Shocks.

View attachment 530880: Personally I find Bascu underrated. I talked about it earlier but its Craw if it traded Knock Off and reliable secondary STAB for better bulk/speed and spinblocking capabilities. In fact it actually hits harder than Craw due to Wave Crash being even stronger than Crabhammer. Also having hard hitting priority to snipe offensive threats is valuable. Right now it faces alot of competition with Bax and Samu, but I think after some meta shifts we could see this big fish return.

People treat basc like it’s miles superior to floatzel. Floatzel is heaps faster, Has a weaker but not awful secondary ability in Water Veil (a physical attacker immune to burn is nice) and only a few point less in attack. Basculegion overall edges out Floatzel, but it’s not invalidated by it. Floatzel has its own use as a water type speed demon, only outsped by Greninja, Barraskewda, Inteleon, and Wugtrio (which the latter two aren’t exactly amazing).

Personally, I consider Floatzel to be superior to Basculegion due to the much higher speed allowing it to outspeed Booster Energy Iron Valiant, which is a big threat that you need to prep for if you want any sort of consistency for your rain team. Due to Floatzel's much higher Base Speed, it can afford to run Adamant more easily than Basculegion, and an Adamant Floatzel outdamages a Jolly Basculegion. Floatzel is also much more useful when you don't have your rain up as well since it actually has an actual functioning speed stat whereas Basculegion gets out-sped by like everything. Basculegion is also more easily forced out by Kingambit due to the Ghost-typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)