Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
clearly if more people watched the Reverend video where he loses to like 4 Quick Claw procs in a row, the results would be reversed
I'ma be fr, the people's opinion on this doesn't matter to its validity, only if the council will do anything on that validity

Only 52% of the overall public was for a King's Rock ban and that was honestly way less justified if what you are looking for is a meta effect, you could just ban Cloyster as many pointed out

Banning Quick Claw, Focus Band, etc. are all in-line with Smogon tiering, and should be done

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
The pool of pokemon is getting bigger and bigger, so of course hitting the threshold at around 4.5% is becoming harder for every Pokemon ... So Garchomp may become UU tomorrow or RU in 3 gen ! :)
| 37 | Garchomp | 5.222% |

Yeah that's not happening to everyone who said Garchomp would drop to UU because it just doesn't have a role in OU or it just gets out-classed by everything numbers don't lie. I would've been shocked if Garchomp dropped mainly to the fact that I have been using the Chain Chomp set and it's been quite nice in terms of matchups.

I'ma be fr, the people's opinion on this doesn't matter to its validity, only if the council will do anything on that validity

Only 52% of the overall public was for a King's Rock ban and that was honestly way less justified if what you are looking for is a meta effect, you could just ban Cloyster as many pointed out

Banning Quick Claw, Focus Band, etc. are all in-line with Smogon tiering, and should be done
After the death threats and toxicity the council received for banning Volcarona, I doubt they will go against what most of the community wants for a while.

Why exactly are we putting decisions that should be made based on tiering policy up to a public poll?

If we aren't going to ban shit like Quick Claw, then the OU council needs to revisit and clarify certain parts of tiering policy regarding uncompetitive mechanics, because there's literally zero reason to keep Claw in the tier based on teiring policy, so it would apparently seem that we're not following that anymore. I don't care if every single other member of the community thinks it doesn't warrant action, this is not (or at least it shouldn't be...) a matter of popular opinion.

Are we or are we not trying to build a competitive metagame here? Does that or does that not include excising inarguably uncompetitive elements from it? I dunno, maybe I'm gaslighting myself, but I thought that was sort of the point of this website and I've been operating under that idea since I joined it.

Torn losing defog and knock is bigger than what most people is giving credit, without those moves it really doesn't do much, pivot move + regen is nice, but Torn being so fast is a huge drawback for that and Glowking does that better with the slow chilly reception, Gus offers a solid Valiant answer + spore and Pex wall stuff better. It is just gets outclassed for now and this isn't gen8 anymore so spamming regen mons isn't as effective outside stall. Maybe on dlcs it will be better with the tutor moves.
Drige dropping is weird, the meta rn uses a lot of set up so I don't get why it would drop if the meta is ideal for it.
Torn-T was banned from OU in gen 5, back when knock off had 20 power (it was unusable) and when he also didn't have defog.

He's a good mon. He will be back.

After the death threats and toxicity the council received for banning Volcarona, I doubt they will go against what most of the community wants for a while.
As I said, this poll will probably influence the decision of the council heavily, but I do not see any validity in it in terms of objective truth

Torn-T was banned from OU in gen 5, back when knock off had 20 power (it was unusable) and when he also didn't have defog.

He's a good mon. He will be back.
Gren was Uber in Oras, times have changed my friend. Torn's biggest issue is the introduction of other good regen mons that offer a better defensive profile and overall utility.
View attachment 530847
Surprised GT only had 42% usage. Wasnt it at 84% usage in the tier just earlier in June? Or was that something else?
It got that much usage on tournaments, it was around 54% of usage on the ladder the last month.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
View attachment 530847
Surprised GT only had 42% usage. Wasnt it at 84% usage in the tier just earlier in June? Or was that something else?
Pult also taking the #2 over Gambit it a bit shocking because we all talk about here on this discussion thread how strong Gambit really is (And it's been holding down the #2 spot for the last few months), but I know the reason Pult was at the #2 spot was definitely from those Screen / Curse sets.

edit: the 84% usage might've been World Cup usage?

Gren was Uber in Oras, times have changed my friend. Torn's biggest issue is the introduction of other good regen mons that offer a better defensive profile and overall utility.

It got that much usage on tournaments, it was around 54% of usage on the ladder the last month.
I don't know, it still has a lot to offer offensively, missing is rough though, and being a fast offensive regen mon is still very unique, and it still has a good offensive movepool.

As I said, this poll will probably influence the decision of the council heavily, but I do not see any validity in it in terms of objective truth
The objective truth is the council is harassed when they go against what most of the playerbase wants. 10/10 community we have here.

Banning Quick Claw would be consistent with previous bans but its impact on the meta is little. I understand if the council chooses to don't act on it because of the backslash. Idc what happens to it.

Last edited:
There isn't a better fast regenerator though.

Glowking fills a completely different niche (slow pivot vs. fast pivot) but both have value. They actually complement each other really well and form a great regenerator core.

1688226864109.png

what the sandy shocks doin' [what does it do in the OU meta that others don't do better?]

seeing ceru finally drop to UU is well-appreciated so did Arcanine-H but thats likely going to UUBL

Torn-t is a balance girl in a hyper offense world. I can only hope some day that the meta suits defensive play better.
Honestly, I think it's simply that so many crazy new options came out at once that Torn-T just got put on the back burner for a month. I have a feeling that June filtered out the HOME mons that weren't OU staples and OU staples that dropped are prolly gonna return (in the case of HOME mons, earn their place back).

Zamazenta at home
Carbink @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Blank
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Stomping Tantrum
- Iron Defense
- Trick Room
Shitty but worth trying, might be good in a lower tier. Gets hard countered by Drifblim, but you can always replace ST with something else.
I honestly just thought this would be funny, if someone is willing to try it out, go for it. And while you’re at it, tell me how it performs.
PU ain’t ready for Carbink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)