Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gliscor loses Roost and Toxic, that's actually a huge nerf to its viability. It would likely keep Knock Off though, which is really important in giving it a niche over Lando-T.
I wouldn't worry much about movepools, dlcs are going to give tutor moves so all the mons are going to get buffed and nerfed, unlike home mons that mostly got nerfed.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ninetales and Snorlax caught my attention though. History has shown that if the base form makes it to the game, the others do as well so we have a great Snow setter and a new sun setter. Which means if I had to *guess* we are also getting a certain green frog back as well next DLC.
We already have Pelipper, which is significantly better than Politoed when it comes to being a Rain setter. Plus tutors are probably coming back, which likely means it'll get Defog again.

Snorlax actually could be OU material as a bulky Tera threat. Lax was always held back by it's Normal typing and with Thick Fat it can more easily tera into something like Ground for STAB EQ or other types to neutralize Ice or Fire Weaknesses or better yet, flat out resist them and wall.
I'd argue that Snorlax is actually held back by the lack of recovery outside of Rest. Pure Normal isn't that bad of a typing when one is super fat, it's the inability to keep itself alive with the Speed stat of geriatric molasses that hurts.

Gliscor I don't count on being a Major Tusk Check if he goes to Ice Spinner (but he WILL need it to hit the thing), but Gliscor brings a lot of stuff to the tier defensively between Ground/Flying and the Recovery Nerf far increasing the value of Poison Heal (whether or not he gets Roost back). It's basically the perfect stop to Sneasler and Spore users, for example, and can take advantage of that typing better than Lando thanks to that passive healing and maybe SD for Snowballing off the turns. Gliscor seems like exactly the kind of things Balance teams need, and not having to watch for Spikes is always a plus in this hellscape Meta.

As for Snorlax, I always wonder who refuses to give him Slack Off, considering he'd shoot right up to UU/RUBL minimum if he could get his health back without using Rest. I think a "just generically fat" Pokemon would be a good compliment to Tusk in OU given the latter's Physical lean.

Plus tutors are probably coming back, which likely means it'll get Defog again.
The only tutors we can confirm are coming back are the isle of armor ones given that Grassy Glide is in the game but also nerfed. And even if there are others, lets not forget that every few gens they change up the tutor moves. I wouldn't count on anything until we see it.
1687362390412.png

Yeah that is the animation for Scald. I'm honestly hoping instead of mass distribution, just a handful of mons get it via level up.

Gliscor I don't count on being a Major Tusk Check if he goes to Ice Spinner (but he WILL need it to hit the thing), but Gliscor brings a lot of stuff to the tier defensively between Ground/Flying and the Recovery Nerf far increasing the value of Poison Heal (whether or not he gets Roost back). It's basically the perfect stop to Sneasler and Spore users, for example, and can take advantage of that typing better than Lando thanks to that passive healing and maybe SD for Snowballing off the turns. Gliscor seems like exactly the kind of things Balance teams need, and not having to watch for Spikes is always a plus in this hellscape Meta.

As for Snorlax, I always wonder who refuses to give him Slack Off, considering he'd shoot right up to UU/RUBL minimum if he could get his health back without using Rest. I think a "just generically fat" Pokemon would be a good compliment to Tusk in OU given the latter's Physical lean.
GF kinda regrets of making recovery moves being distributed so widely in the past, for both, in game and VGC, recovery moves break the game since during in-game the use of items becomes useless if any mon can heal itself and a strong mon like Mega Mence being able to use roost while it's partner do something else is too much for the format. On older gens, Wo-Chien and Ting-Lu would have get recovery moves but it looks like GF is more aware and tries to make more balanced mons, Ting Lu is already hated by VGC players, now imagine if it could just recover.

The only tutors we can confirm are coming back are the isle of armor ones given that Grassy Glide is in the game but also nerfed. And even if there are others, lets not forget that every few gens they change up the tutor moves. I wouldn't count on anything until we see it.

View attachment 528051
Yeah that is the animation for Scald. I'm honestly hoping instead of mass distribution, just a handful of mons get it via level up.
So they didn't remove scald to balance the game, they did it just to paywall it, curse you GF :fukyu:

Gotta say, Toxic Chain is kinda cracked. They have the ability to basically apply Toxic with any of their attacks.

1687366191294.png

I assume the typings of the Momotaro Trio are gonna be;
Okidogi - Grass/Poison
Munkidori - Water/Poison
Fezandipiti - Flying/Poison

Last edited:
I wonder if they're pseudo-legendaries, cause that is a nutty ability. Looks like it's a 30% chance ("may cause") but that's still really REALLY strong since it's not just with contact moves.

I wonder if they're pseudo-legendaries, cause that is a nutty ability. Looks like it's a 30% chance ("may cause") but that's still really REALLY strong since it's not just with contact moves.
I think they'll either be like Urshifu and only have a base stat total of 550. Or be like other sub-legends and be 570-580. I bet the first to balance their abilities a bit like they did Urshifu. But we'll see. I am curious as seeing as they are special pokemon, there is an almost 0% chance they don't each have a signature move, or share a signature move.

Gotta say, Toxic Chain is kinda cracked. They have the ability to basically apply Toxic with any of their attacks.

View attachment 528063

I assume the typings of the Momotaro Trio are gonna be;
Okidogi - Grass/Poison
Munkidori - Water/Poison
Fezandipiti - Flying/Poison
"We nerfed toxic distribution so these could really shine" also maybe the chain will be a different factor from their typings. So the big one could be dark/fighting but still spread poison

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Big stall will gain a lot of favors with the dlc. Free toxic, scald to utterly destroy any semblance of balance physical walls had, and a great stallmon in reuniclus, to name the freebies.
Sad times are ahead.

lets be real about the Toxic Chain users:

Okidogi - Grass/Poison - Historically dogshit typing. If it has defensive stats pls explain why i would use this over Amoongus?
Munkidori - Water/Poison - Makes me think of Pex, but Pex shines bc of Regen and insane defensive stat distribution. In this meta with so many ground type threats if this thing has poor stats i dont see it being that big of a deal
Fezandipiti - Flying/Poison - Crobat typing, really struggles with Steel types. Flying means it basically has to use boots.

TBH guys i think these could end up being kinda mid. I think if you are really interested in spreading Toxic to your opponents team using Glimmora is likely still better.

Just my opinion!

Big stall will gain a lot of favors with the dlc. Free toxic, scald to utterly destroy any semblance of balance physical walls had, and a great stallmon in reuniclus, to name the freebies.
Sad times are ahead.
I don't think the Toxic Chain mons will be used on stall that much as they are most likely offensive Pokemon that screw around with defensive cores through their ability, so it's not as big of a buff to stall as you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)