Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me personally, I don't think the threshold is the problem. But if you feel the need to lower it to avoid situations like this, then go ahead. Especially; if a Pokémon has been previously banned. How do you expect to make any progress within' the tier with decisions like this:

View attachment 522894

While I do appreciate what the council has done in taking the timeout in helping us find a fun and healthy meta-game, I do agree with ABR's Post. I understand y'all got lives, but I think it would benefit if the council had quality active members. The results today for certain Pokémon would have been met if one person didn't Abstained the entire vote. This is not a threshold problem, this is an activity problem within' the council.
Yeah, I'm agreement with this. Seeing xavgb (what a keyboard mash of a name) abstain from literally every vote just screams laziness.

Last edited by a moderator:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here's my guess

UBER
:zamazenta-crowned: :chien-pao: :zamazenta:

POSSIBLE UBER
:ursaluna: :sneasler: :urshifu-rapid-strike:

OU
:zapdos: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :slowking-galar:

POSSIBLE OU/UUBL
:zapdos-galar: :hoopa-unbound: :tornadus-therian: :samurott-hisui: :basculegion: :basculegion-f: :volcanion:

LOWER THAN UU
Everything else

I feel like many can agree with this stance
Enamorus is definitely going to be OU

A good third of the Home mons are easy UU material such as Rillaboom, Kleavor, Overqwil and Braviary-Hisui.

Quite frankly, suggesting Moltres-Galar to be lower than UU is simply an absurd statement

G-Luke

Yeah, I'm agreement with this. Like, why be a part of the council if you're just going to sit there with your thumbs up your ass? Seeing xavgb (what a keyboard mash of a name) abstain from literally every vote just screams laziness.
Oh my god. Do y'all even know what my guy is and is not doing? Someone abstains from ONE vote and suddenly they are lazy, not worthy of being on a council and all sorts of shit. It's ONE vote. They felt they could not form an onpion on ONE vote and you fools are calling for their removal from the council? Jesus y'all hear how stupid you sound? It's VOLUNTEER work. Sometimes people may not have to the time to constantly commit to gathering enough Intel for any given week. I'd much rather someone who is not familiar with the mons yet to step back and pass on that week's voting, instead of giving an uninformed opinion. You don't even know if them voting would have mattered for results, yet still people are yodelling about.

As I said alot earlier, if this is something that persists for multiple weeks, then it's not a one time thing, it's a pattern that should be acted upon. But as for right now, it's just a simple abstaining of votes. No need to be acting like a pack of hollering apes.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
How do you expect to make any progress within' the tier with decisions like this:
This is really uninformed.

Xavgb is currently in STour and WCOP qualifiers, two insanely time intensive tournaments that are both pre-HOME. It is very reasonable for him not to have had a lot of time over 2 full days to play, which is what we had between Regieleki vote and the second vote.

Would you rather an uninformed, guess vote or an abstain, which doesn’t impact the threshold at all? The latter is obviously better.

What about Arcanine?
With Tera it's in an interesting spot I would say. Base typing is ass defensively, but offensively when it hits it hits HARD. Being able to run Flare Blitz Head Smash and Wild Charge is already solid with rock head. I wouldnt say it's OU, more of a UU with an OU niche given it's access to break screens with psychic fangs (as a coverage move), have extreme speed, and otherwise versitle move pool like CC, Will-o-wisp, and so on. And even if you didn't want it for Rock Head, it can pull off intimidate with a myriad of other moves.
Enamorus is definitely going to be OU

A good third of the Home mons are easy UU material such as Rillaboom, Kleavor, Overqwil and Braviary-Hisui.
Just wanted to touch on the bolded. Rillaboom will either fall to UU for what it can currently do as a Grass type or stay due to it being the best terrain abuser in the tier for Unburden sets and weakening EQ. But given the fact that Grassy Glide was nerfed despite no mon learning the move, it WILL make a comeback in the future.

Braviary is an odd case as I think it's extremely meta dependent on where it lands Tier wise. Esper Wing is an amazing move when paired with tinted lens. Furthermore, this is one of the few mons I would say can actually utilize Tera Psychic given how shit that tera type is. If Chien Pao remains in Ou this will fall for sure, otherwise it may at the very least have an OU niche.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
You want to be annoyed? Be annoyed at the people who used their vote irresponsibly, not people who were considerate when they genuinely did not have time to volunteer over a very short period.

The new release model Pokemon is adopting that involves not giving us much notice and periodic releases is going to cause tiering complications. People should be considerate of that rather than assuming the worst or taking shots at people who did nothing wrong.

Xavgb is currently in STour and WCOP qualifiers, two insanely time intensive tournaments that are both pre-HOME. It is very reasonable for him not to have had a lot of time over 2 full days to play, which is what we had between Regieleki vote and the second vote.

Would you rather an uninformed, guess vote or an abstain, which doesn’t impact the threshold at all? The latter is obviously better.
i bet everyone would be more understanding if xavgb had come out before the vote and said "hey guys, i'm super busy with tournaments and haven't had the time to familiarize myself with the post-home meta so i'll be abstaining from the vote". the reason people have uninformed takes is because no one is informing us

Hot take:

The quickban threshold does not need to be changed. It should take overwhelming support for something to be quickbanned. Chien-Pao and Zamazenta-crowned may have narrowly avoided a ban this time, but they will almost certain get banned after the next vote unless the meta adjusts to make them easier to beat, which it clearly won't for Chien-Pao since we just got rid of its best check. At worst, Chien-Pao will be the only one banned in the next vote, but I believe it's likely that Ursaluna will prove to be broken even without Magearna's Trick Room Support, so we could have Chien-Pao, Zamazenta-crowned, and Ursaluna all banned in the next vote.

If we had quickbanned Walking Wake due to their being enormous support to do so, we would have lost a healthy addition to OU. The majority of people were clamoring for a quickban of Walking Wake, but people found good answers to it. We should always err on quickbanning fewer things than more.

You want to be annoyed? Be annoyed at the people who used their vote irresponsibly, not people who were considerate when they genuinely did not have time to volunteer over a very short period.

The new release model Pokemon is adopting that involves not giving us much notice and periodic releases is going to cause tiering complications. People should be considerate of that rather than assuming the worst or taking shots at people who did nothing wrong.
Exactly why I'm not in the OU council. Too much stress (for me anyway) and stuff like this. Ranting, arguing, generally being mad

I am too, but I can wait

Knowing this makes it completely understandable, but I do have to agree with saying that there should have been some heads up about xavgb being unable to play the meta.

Honestly speaking, as a council member volunteer, they have a responsibility to their role. It's like forum moderators -- if you don't do your job because you decided to jam pack your schedule with tournament stuff and not giving yourself some time to do what you signed up to do, then there is a problem and things may need to be addressed.

Any time I've ever seen something like this happen, be it a volunteer or someone's actual paid job, it resulted in them getting let go and/or replaced. I've seen it from anything ranging from volunteer firefighting work to school management team (think of like tech squad for school events) to actual jobs.

While we don't know the exact goings-on in the council voting process, they should've had time to at least look over community opinions on the matter and spectate some games. Or hell, watching various people who play live on Twitch or YouTube when they have downtime. I know what it is like to be a moderator, as I'm an admin in my own community server (not Pokemon related), and I've been a moderator for a popular game server in the past.

That being said, there REALLY should have been a heads up on their reason for full abstain ahead of the vote. Without any word of "Hey, this council member is extremely busy as this, this, this, and these are all taking up their free time" (even if it's just something simple and private like life stuff got in the way), it reflects on them FAR better than silence into full abstain. Like seriously, I don't even know this xavgb person, what they do for the council, or anything else like that. As far as I am concerned and aware of them, they're just another member of the council and a name on the voting board. I don't follow tournament results, or who's playing what, or who earned the most internet points for consistently placing high in whatever tournaments. The most I follow is evolving meta trends, OU council's decisions for action within the tier, and anything that affects Smogon-wide rulesets.

G-Luke

It really doesn't take a 10 seconds to think and wonder why someone would have to cast an abstain vote. Certainly not to the point where one needs to declare that they are abstaining. Even if you can't spare ten seconds to think of a reason why, it should not resort to people saying people have sticks in their ass and that they are lazy, especially considering said council member also voted to ban Regieleki, meaning they are obviously here and contributing. Y'all are honestly just a bunch of losers.

It really doesn't take a 10 seconds to think and wonder why someone would have to cast an abstain vote. Certainly not to the point where one needs to declare that they are abstaining. Even if you can't spare ten seconds to think of a reason why, it should not resort to people saying people have sticks in their ass and that they are lazy, especially considering said council member also voted to ban Regieleki, meaning they are obviously here and contributing. Y'all are honestly just a bunch of losers.
it doesn't take 10 seconds to realize how broken magearna is either, he at least could have cast that vote

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
i bet everyone would be more understanding if xavgb had come out before the vote and said "hey guys, i'm super busy with tournaments and haven't had the time to familiarize myself with the post-home meta so i'll be abstaining from the vote". the reason people have uninformed takes is because no one is informing us
I literally stated this previously multiple times across various platforms. I am sorry I can’t personally inform every single person of every single piece of information, but complaining about information when information was presented in various places is bullshit. Be better.

Lowering the quickban vote threshold will enable reactionary opinions to have more sway, which is what we don't want.

As was stated above, if we gave into reactionary opinions, Walking Wake would have been banned when it's a perfectly healthy part of the OU meta. Regieleki and Magearna were both busted and the small amount of time it took to get them banned was more than adequate.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Honestly speaking, as a council member volunteer, they have a responsibility to their role. It's like forum moderators -- if you don't do your job because you decided to jam pack your schedule with tournament stuff and not giving yourself some time to do what you signed up to do, then there is a problem and things may need to be addressed.
This is absolute nonsense. You get on council and maintain a constant presence in the format by playing in things like tours. We encourage every councilman to participate and many people become councilmen through doing things like this. You are suggesting the contrary and it is ignorant.

Nobody could predict when home dropped or the tournament calendar would focus around it, but this was not possible, so naturally casualties of the circumstance would happen.

It is embarrassing seeing posts like these. Shame on a bunch of you.

What a rude reply lmao. His frustration is that current tiering policy forces us to ban Pokémon when there are certain elements that would be broken on basically any Pokémon, which is a fair criticism of the current system imo. Game freaks design philosophy has changed dramatically since these policies were established, which has lead to a dramatically different game than even just a few generations ago, and tiering policy has not been adjusted to compensate, as evidenced by us having to ban 5-6 Pokémon with every dlc/game drop. Stability is the goal, but it has been more and more difficult every generation due to game freak. I wouldn’t be shocked if gen 10 had multiple 400bst shitmons (such as houndstone) banned to Ubers because they had absolutely insane signature moves that are clearly the only thing remotely broken about them, which just doesn’t sit right with me and many other smogon members.
Cool.

There's no need to shit on other people just because you're frustrated. This isn't 4chan.

While I'm a little disappointed that Chien Pao is still around the fact that we managed to take care of two problematic aspects of the metagame in a weeks time is very nice. I think the Council has been handling this generation very well. Between the transparency, and willingness to get things done they've done good imo. So can we please be more lenient with the Council members, and recognize that they're just people who are what i assume volunteering to moderate a Pokemon Fan project.

Is it really unreasonable to ask for a post about an OU council member being unable to vote in the dedicated metagame thread for which they are part of the council for? xav hasn't even been mentioned in this thread before now. I would imagine this thread would be one of the more relevant places to put such a disclaimer in.

I would imagine this thread would be one of the more relevant places to put such a disclaimer in.
hell, or even a footnote in the vote post itself. explaining that "oh by the way this member didn't vote because [insert reason]" would spark a lot less outrage. even if you think the outrage is unreasonable, it's preventable

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Oh no, someone who is woefully uninformed, and has ONLY STARTED BEING AROUND SMOGON COMMUNICATION AT THE START OF SV has a bad take and it skews toward negativity due to lack of information!
Why don't you just ban me and get it over with? It's obvious you want to, and I clearly have nothing to contribute anymore.
I have no interest in banning you. I hope you enjoy the format and participating in the community.

It is my job to run the tier and when people are spreading misinformation or passing judgement that is unfair, part of my job is to set the record straight.

People continue to complain about communication and transparency, but I have been here communicating and providing transparency. I am providing what you guys are asking.

Oh no, someone who is woefully uninformed, and has ONLY STARTED BEING AROUND SMOGON COMMUNICATION AT THE START OF SV has a bad take and it skews toward negativity due to lack of information!
Why don't you just ban me and get it over with? It's obvious you want to, and I clearly have nothing to contribute anymore.
This is a completely unreasonable and vitriolic message and you know it, man. Calm down, this isn't worth getting upset over.

Is it really unreasonable to ask for a post about an OU council member being unable to vote in the dedicated metagame thread for which they are part of the council for? xav hasn't even been mentioned in this thread before now. I would imagine this thread would be one of the more relevant places to put such a disclaimer in.
Council members are not forced to say this kind of things. They are volunteers, non-paid. If someone abstain, there is a reason. I prefer someone abstaining than giving shitty opinion without really taking care of the metagame and/or about what is really strong or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)