Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boy hisuian electrode is slept on. He is this gens PREMIER turn waster. have trouble with screens? weather? not to worry, he can and WILL stall out all turns. Heres a replay where electrode removes :great tusk:, :walking wake: and stalls out sun twice in one game. Truly a godlike mon

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1877281720-6z1jaleuq0ydlrwzrvub2jxpqq98w0mpw

:Electrode-Hisui: @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
Tera Type: grass/water/steel
EVs: 64 Def / 252 SpD / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
- Leech Seed
- Chloroblast

zero hp because we want leech seed/ sub to do its thing. With leftovers and leech seed anything with more hp than uninvested :garchomp: should give you positive hp even with a Substitute each turn. This speed creeps timid :dragapult: I rarely tera since he can do the job fine without it but if you want a stronger chloroblast or want to resist fire the options are there. Tera steel works agaisnst galarian slowking. You can run leaf storm but the recovery between leftovers and leech seed means you can usually use chloroblast more than twice and this:
* 0 SpA Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 440-522 (101.3 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Soundproof has you switching in on :skeledirge:, torch song is ineffective and without a boost he cant really beat you down via hex without spamming slack off and giving you more leech seed/sub recovery. I currently run volt switch but that has anti-synergy with substitute so i might change to thunderbolt. pivot moves are just crazy strong so any mon that has them should usually run them. He even has a reasonable matchup into heatran since it needs magma storm to break your sub and good luck hitting 4 of them in a row.
Bro literally has a Gholdengo that could've come in at ANY time and stopped that shenanigans from happening, and never used it once. That was on the opponent for playing bad, rather than H-Electrode being good. H-Lilligant also could've stopped the seeding from happening and even set up on Electrode.

The solution to the meta's issues isn't more bans, its more unbans.

The meta is currently struggling with Entry Hazards, Dual Screens, Volcarona, Urshifu, Zamazenta-C, Zamazenta, and Sneaseler.

Thankfully, unbanning one Pokemon will allow OU to play around all these threats in one slot.

Now is the time to unban Giratina-A..

It will bring many positives to the tier.
+ Defogger to give us more options vs entry hazards and Dual Screens teams outside of Tusk / Brick Break + has a decent MU vs Gholdengo
+ Has a typing perfect to handle Sneaseler, Volcarona, Zamazenta-C, Urshifu, and Zamazenta
+ Dragon Tail + Bulk for phazing vs typically difficult to answer sweepers like the aforementioned Pokemon
+ Will-O-Wisp + T-Wave support to also keep dangerous physical attackers in check

Unlike other Pokemon like Mewtwo and Eternatus, its offensive stats are perfectly in line with the tier. Even Landorus-T has better stats for a special attacker.

Some may argue that Giratina will be too centralizing, but being centralizing doesn't equal broken. We already accept Kingambit and Tusk have 50+% usage. By unbanning Giratina-A, we may be able to address the immediate problems plaging the metagame.

Its defensive stats are high, but nothing out of the ordinary for OU. Ting-Lu has better defenses for example.

This post may get a lot of laugh reacts and responses like "lol I can't believe we are discussing unbanning Giratina-A".

It is true this suggestion may be outlandish. But it is a conversation starter. The fact is that Giratina-A is in a position to solve the metagames most pressing issues. It is an option worth investigating further.
WUT... no it doesnt, it just makes the tier super slow esp its stupid fat to do stuff such as Sub CM. Tusk has very good spin and kingambit is just very good in what it does... gira-a is just gonna be frustrating to break through like once it gets CM going esp behind a sub ur pretty fucked

WUT... no it doesnt, it just makes the tier super slow esp its stupid fat to do stuff such as Sub CM. Tusk has very good spin and kingambit is just very good in what it does... gira-a is just gonna be frustrating to break through like once it gets CM going esp behind a sub ur pretty fucked

I don't want either giratina anywhere near here. If zamazenta crowned is problematic, giratina with its typing, attack power, and bulk is just way too much, at least the argument with lugia i kinda get since while its bulk is immense, its offenses are pitiful at base 90, and 110 speed for a wall makes it just slow enough to be taunted by faster mons. Do I think lugia would be balanced if it were to come back to scarlet and violet? Probably not, but without tera I could maybe see it getting tested since despite its stupidly immense bulk, its got many flaws, being psychic/flying, having a weak attack stat, and getting messed with by taunt, and being forced to run boots because of hazard spam cutting into its multiscale are all notable downsides.
Giratina-Altered has absolutely NONE OF THOSE PROBLEMS REALLY despite not having the obscene bulk that lugia has. Now you see why I said, I would rather test lugia than giratina-altered if I had a choice.

As for the quickban votes, I expect ursaluna to survive, and one of (Probably crowned) or both zamas to get banned.

And we all know pao and mag will likely be gone after this vote since everyone agrees they are dumb

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Enamorus just doesn't feel like an OU mon, it is Valiant at home lacking a lot of tools that Valiant has.
Yeah I don't agree, I feel like Enamorus will show it's true colors once a couple of things get banned I think it has a lot of potential on being a good mon in the tier overall. I can see the comparisons to Valiant but in reality it's worse and better in different aspects.

Me.

Samurott isn't doing great even without considering the misses, without sash almost any lead OHKO it, so frail for such low speed.
Its not tanky sure, but it does its job and then some, as knock off and being able to set spikes as a scarf lead is massive.

If you aren't scarfed you are pretty much forced to run sucker though or ev to outrun bulky tusk

Its not tanky sure, but it does its job and then some, as knock off and being able to set spikes as a scarf lead is massive.

If you aren't scarfed you are pretty much forced to run sucker though or ev to outrun bulky tusk
Meow does that better IMO, once the new toy syndrome stops (and Pao gets banned) I can see it returning as the main spikes lead.
Yeah I don't agree, I feel like Enamorus will show it's true colors once a couple of things get banned I think it has a lot of potential on being a good mon in the tier overall. I can see the comparisons to Valiant but in reality it's worse and better in different aspects.
My main issue with Enamorus is its speed+bulk+Sr weakness (this one makes Enamorus need more support to do what it does than Valiant). Valiant not only is fater than a few couple things but also has quark drive and resistence to SR, which is big to survive revenge killing attemps with priority.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Meow does that better IMO, once the new toy syndrome stops (and Pao gets banned) I can see it returning as the main spikes lead.

My main issue with Enamorus is its speed+bulk+Sr weakness (this one makes Enamorus need more support to do what it does than Valiant). Valiant not only is fater than a few couple things but also has quark drive and resistence to SR, which is big to survive revenge killing attemps with priority.
I'll give you that it's SR weak, but you can always consider Heavy-Duty Boots. But I cannot say Valiant is fatter since they have the same HP, Enamorus has +20 SpDef and -20 Defense in comparison they're equally as fat but in opposite sides (physicals and special). And also it's not like Contrary is a bad ability, like I said I think Valiant does certain things better like vs Dark 4x resist and Booster Energy sets but I feel like Enamorus will have a lot to offer with Choiced sets + Mixed sets using Calm Mind + Super Power.

I've seen Scarf Enamorus put in work. Most of the top dogs hate the fairy typing, and Scarf allowing Enamorus to outspeed and KO is not to be underestimated. Just watch out for Chien Ice Shard.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Bro literally has a Gholdengo that could've come in at ANY time and stopped that shenanigans from happening, and never used it once. That was on the opponent for playing bad, rather than H-Electrode being good. H-Lilligant also could've stopped the seeding from happening and even set up on Electrode.
i volt switch to arcanine. rinse repeat

I'll give you that it's SR weak, but you can always consider Heavy-Duty Boots. But I cannot say Valiant is fatter since they have the same HP, Enamorus has +20 SpDef and -20 Defense in comparison they're equally as fat but in opposite sides (physicals and special). And also it's not like Contrary is a bad ability, like I said I think Valiant does certain things better like vs Dark 4x resist and Booster Energy sets but I feel like Enamorus will have a lot to offer with Choiced sets + Mixed sets using Calm Mind + Super Power.
We well see, I'm just not a fan of that speed+poor bulk, the tier needed a fat fairy that isn't Mag IMO.
Yeah, hi, Let’s save ourselves the trouble and NOT do that. A 1.3 boost instead of a 1.5 doesn’t change the metawarping capabilities of the world’s most annoying pivot.
But at least we get another viable spinner :psysly:

Then what, you Flare Blitz into Tork/Wake, and watch as Wake hits you with any Dragon move for big damage? Seriously, the game would have gone DRAMATICALLY different if they had their head on straight.
Clearly youre an Electrode-H hater. In time you will come to understand he is more annoying than you could possibly imagine. No other pokemon can waste turns like he can.

Clearly youre an Electrode-H hater. In time you will come to understand he is more annoying than you could possibly imagine. No other pokemon can waste turns like he can.
I am not a hater, I am realist. Basing a Pokemon's viability or ability to do things on a single game where a player absolutely had their head in the sand and let it happen doesn't mean anything important. It just means "Hey, look at this set absolutely messing this player up for not playing right! It's so good, guys."
If you had more evidence of such things happening consistently, then I'd probably actually go "Huh, that actually seems neat. Might be worth a try." But this is a single, isolated game where your opponent was playing mindlessly. Nothing more.

Sash set is not standard set. Also, defensive tusk is actually a very common switch-in

hydro pump also does well vs landorus
What set have you been using for Samurott-H? I started out with CB, but am liking AV with Ceaseless Edge / Knock Off / Hydro Pump / Sacred Sword. Considering testing out Wide Lens as well cuz I'm getting sick of misses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)