Project SV OU - Lure That Threat Week 39 - Gliscor - Voting!

:garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Block
- Salt Cure
- Curse
- Recover

Oftentimes a team that is struggling to break an opposing Garganacl might go into their own Garganacl to Salt Cure it to make it easier to deal with. This can be taken advantage of with Tera Ghost Garganacl, which can trap it, and use Salt Cure and Ghost-Type Curse so it takes 3/8 of its HP each turn. Eventually, it will run out of all its Recover PP and faint.

Last edited:
Menu_SV_Annihilape.png

Annihilape @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Water / Fire
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Drain Punch
- Rage Fist

Completely beats Garganacl, no matter the set its running, Taunt blocks Recover attempts as well as Iron Defense, and Covert Cloak blocks Salt Cure and Drain Punch hurts a lot at +2
+2 0 Atk Annihilape Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tera Water Garganacl: 144-171 (35.7 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 2 layers of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

The main problem I see with this set is that you won't be able to get a Defiant boost from Moonblasts and other things, but to be honest, I dont care about it much, as my luck is so bad I still dont get it. Bonus points for the fact that Thunderbolt or Flamethrower can't status you. I run this set in most of my teams, Leftovers Annihilape is ovverrated, switch to Covert Cloak people >:)

:garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Careful Nature
- Block
- Salt Cure
- Curse
- Recover

Oftentimes a team that is struggling to break an opposing Garganacl might go into their own Garganacl to Salt Cure it to make it easier to deal with. This can be taken advantage of with Tera Ghost Garganacl, which can trap it, and use Salt Cure and Ghost-Type Curse so it takes 3/8 of its HP each turn. Eventually, it will run out of all its Recover PP and faint.
you goddamn genius

View attachment 481003

Annihilape @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Water / Fire
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Drain Punch
- Rage Fist

Completely beats Garganacl, no matter the set its running, Taunt blocks Recover attempts as well as Iron Defense, and Covert Cloak blocks Salt Cure and Drain Punch hurts a lot at +2
+2 0 Atk Annihilape Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tera Water Garganacl: 144-171 (35.7 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 2 layers of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

The main problem I see with this set is that you won't be able to get a Defiant boost from Moonblasts and other things, but to be honest, I dont care about it much, as my luck is so bad I still dont get it. Bonus points for the fact that Thunderbolt or Flamethrower can't status you. I run this set in most of my teams, Leftovers Annihilape is ovverrated, switch to Covert Cloak people >:)
Hey. I won't be considering this submission since it doesn't lure Garganacl. This one would be more fitting on Victim of the Week. I'll take this chance to remind everyone to write an explanation/share a replay of how your set lures the pokemon. What is a lure?

What a lure actually is is self-explanatory: specific Pokemon that run an unexpected move or moveset in order to weaken or directly OHKO a specific threat and pave the way for another sweeper. This allows the other Pokemon on a team to have an easier time carrying out their roles to win a game

https://pokepast.es/173c0587e658da67

Cyclizar @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Iron Head
- Shed Tail/U-Turn
- Rapid Spin
Now cyclizar as many people would know is def not an offensive pokemon , usually used as a shed tail mon. Now the thing that this specific set does is give you the ability to spin away any rocks spikes tspikes whatever you need to.

252 Atk Choice Band Cyclizar Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 168-198 (41.6 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Cyclizar Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 250-296 (62 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Tera Steel Cyclizar Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 252-296 (62.5 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

252 Atk Choice Band Tera Steel Cyclizar Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Tera Fairy Garganacl: 252-296 (62.5 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Tera Steel Cyclizar Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Tera Fairy Garganacl: 252-296 (62.5 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

While Cyc is still able to perform its main function of the worse baton pass. You are still able to spin away any rocks which is also one of the things specified in the garg set above.

1LDK

Trial by fury
is a Top Team Rater
Reserving Toxapex

:SV/Toxapex:

Toxapex @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 152 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Acid Spray
- Surf
- Haze
- Infestation

BEHOLD, FROM THE CREATORS OF 52 ATAK GUNK SHOT PEX, HERE IT COMES
152 SPECIAL ATTACK TERA POISON ACID SPRAY PEX WITH 4 SPEED

The plan is simple, thanks to your 4 speed eves, youll be faster, then, infestation him, thanks to covert cloak, you take next to nothing from salt cure, haze away his boost, youll now want to start trowing acid sprays at him, Acid Spray is a 40 BP Special move that has a 100% chance of lowering the special defense of the enemy by 2, so now he is traped and losing health fast

0 Atk Tera Fairy Garganacl Salt Cure vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Toxapex: 25-31 (8.2 - 10.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever (water does the same)

152 SpA Toxapex Surf vs. -6 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Fairy Garganacl: 229-271 (56.8 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

152 SpA Toxapex Surf vs. -6 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Garganacl: 114-135 (28.2 - 33.4%) -- 95.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

He is still forced to run through protects, and if somehow you are forced to retreat, then you can try again later, what is he gonna do? stall you out? he literally has to burn trough most of his recover if he wants a chance alive

Last edited:
Roaring Moon @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Jaw Lock
- Earthquake
- Roost
ID Garg is a very good counter to Roaring Moon, so you Tera, you trap and you setup. You can hope a critical hit and you pp stall anyway. They can’t damage you except with Salt Cure’s base damage.

Last edited:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
Tera Type: Grass
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 120 Def / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
- Fire Spin
- Giga Drain
- Morning Sun
- Quiver Dance
L
8 Def Garganacl Body Press vs. 0 HP / 120 Def Tera Ground Volcarona: 88-104 (28.2 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
Now you win 1v1, salt cure does 12 body press does 33.4 max. QD up, garg is trapped, gg, wp
Giga drain hits both tera forms of garg, but u can make it somethin else like buzz
Nature and speed spreads can be customized to fit your team though

Last edited:

Dondozo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Grass / Steel / Fairy / Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wave Crash / Liquidation / Waterfall
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Body Press

Garganacl, when tera'd, loves coming in on Dondozo to spam rocks and Salt Cure. Using Covert Cloak, this set uses all Garganacl sets as setup fodder, as Covert Cloak protects Dondozo from Salt Cure, while Unaware allows Dondozo to ignore Iron Defense boosts on certain Garganacl sets.

If a Dondozo sweep doesn't seem likely, Dondozo can simply fire off powerful Wave Crashes every time it lures or comes in on Garganacl. Additionaly, 8 EVs in Speed allow Dondozo to speedcreep opposing Dondozo and Toxapex; if those checks are weakened, Dondozo is a threatening sweeper after a few boosts. Tera type is chosen based on what complements the team defensively.

Also, you can invest into Def instead of Spdef, allowing Dondozo to act as both a Garganacl lure and a dedicated physical counter.

:sv/Quagsire:

Quagsire @ Leftovers / Covert Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpDef
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Curse
- Yawn / Toxic / Body Press
- Earthquake

Quagsire sits mightily high on the totem pole of passivity, and as a water type that traditionally only serves to block setup and click toxic, represents a perfect lure for Garganacl. Who better to come in on, start chipping with Salt Cure, and then start setting up ID's or get up rocks? This quag uses a similar ghost-type curse Tera tech as sufys12's submission to deal with Gargancl. Recover provides much more reliable HP recovery than Rest, effectively guaranteeing minimum one effective Curse round. Curse can also be used without Tera to boost Body Press while making him bulkier, and can opt for Covert Cloak to avoid the Salt Cure chip.

This Quagsire might not be able to immediately OHKO Gargancl, but it does lure it in with guaranteed 1/4 Curse chip, as well as always forcing it out subsequently after you reveal it.

Last edited:
Polteageist @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball
- Stored Power
- Giga Drain

So like, Tera Fighting is cool, but it hard folds to their inevitable Terastalization. Instead, Terastalizing Psychic and picking up the OHKO with Stored Power, no matter the type, is vastly superior for it.
relevant calcs:
+2 252 SpA Tera Psychic Polteageist Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 361-426 (89.3 - 105.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Tera Fighting Polteageist Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Fairy Garganacl: 103-122 (25.4 - 30.1%) -- 96.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Polteageist Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Purifying Salt Tera Fairy Garganacl: 103-123 (25.4 - 30.4%) -- 97.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

:sv/ceruledge:

Ceruledge @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 240 HP / 20 Atk / 12 Def / 96 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Bitter Blade
- Shadow Sneak

If Garganacl tries to switch on Ceruledge's Bulk Up, it will lose 1v1 thanks to Covert Cloak, as Bitter Blade will eventually outheal Salt Cure, and from that point onwards, it's only a matter of not getting crit at the wrong time. No Tera is needed. Covert Cloak also helps against Nuzzle Hatterene and attempts at breaking past Ceruledge through hax, most notably Chi-Yu and Chien-Pao when Terastalized. This set is better against non-ID variants because you don't have to Taunt as often, meaning less opportunities to get crit. As for the EV spread, Speed is for Adamant Breloom and other mons that try to creep it, Def is to minimize Salt Cure damage, and SpD is for Specs Dragapult's Shadow Ball.

0 Atk Garganacl Salt Cure vs. +3 240 HP / 12 Def Ceruledge: 42-50 (11.9 - 14.2%) -- possible 8HKO
+3 20+ Atk Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garganacl: 98-116 (24.2 - 28.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery (13.9 - 16.5% recovered)
0 Atk Garganacl Salt Cure vs. 240 HP / 12 Def Ceruledge on a critical hit: 152-182 (43.3 - 51.8%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 240 HP / 96 SpD Ceruledge: 296-350 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
20+ Atk Ceruledge Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 150-176 (47.3 - 55.5%) -- 71.5% chance to 2HKO

Arcanine (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate / Flash Fire (doesn,t matter for Garg, Intimidate tends to be better).
Tera Type: Normal / Fairy / Firy / Electric / Fight / Fairy (again, doesn,t matter for Garg, probably Normal and Fairy are the best)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe (Speed doesn,t matter for Garg, only Max Attack is really needed)
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed / Play Rough / Sleep Talk (this slot doesn,t matter either. Espeed with Tera Normal, Play Rough with Fairy, Sleep Talk if you hate the mushrooms).

The few Arcanines seen in OU are all Defensive with WoW, a very atractive target for Garganacl. However, this one is band and completely destroys the incoming Rock, regardless of Tera (if predicts correctly the switch-in):

252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 306-360 (75.7 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tera Fairy Garganacl: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tera Water Garganacl: 228-270 (56.4 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even if Garganacl switches out after the first hit, with his terrible Speed he will have troubles coming again in almost everything, except the most passive walls.

:Skeledirge:
Skeledirge @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Slack Off

I got completely cooked by this set the other day. Normally, I use Garg as a check to Dirge because "hurr durr, it resist Fire / Ghost moves". However, Dirge can predict that, and go for sub as Garg switches in to spam Torch song. Salt Cure will not break Dirge's Sub and Dirge can spam Torch Song until it becomes very difficult to handle, and will likely be able to take out 2 additional mons in the process, esp its behind a sub.

0 Atk Garganacl Salt Cure vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skeledirge: 66-78 (16 - 18.9%) -- possible 6HKO

EDIT: I think a spread of 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpA with a modest nature would give Dirge the best odds of 2HKOing Garg at +6 w/o having to rely on Shadow Ball SpDef Drops.

+6 220+ SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Purifying Salt Garganacl: 193-228 (47.7 - 56.4%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Garganacl Salt Cure vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Skeledirge: 84-102 (20.4 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Last edited:
Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb

Metagame - SV OU Metagame Discussion [ SEE POST #5138 -- NEW RADAR ] | Page 221 | Smogon Forums
I discussed Dragalge in the metagame discussion but no one expects the power behind Tera Water Plus Adaptability Hydro Pump. Specs outright kills while AV functions as a bulky pivot with some damn good power. If it DOES Tera into Water then TBolt has you covered. Fairy is dealt with using Sludge Bomb.

252+ SpA Adaptability Tera Water Dragalge Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 294-346 (72.7 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Water Dragalge Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 434-514 (107.4 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Dragalge Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Garganacl: 204-242 (50.4 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Water Dragalge Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Fairy Garganacl: 356-424 (88.1 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You can run anything else other than AV and it functions fine as a lure. I personally use AV on my teams but Specs, Leftovers, Expert Belt all have some merit.

arcexofficial

I COULD BE BANNED!
The biggest thorn to any Nacl’s side.
1673241462919.png

Hatterene @ Leftovers/Convert cloak
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Giga drain
- Psyshock

Magic bounces is to make sure rocks don’t go up and protect it from any surprise toxics.

Calm mind is to help it win the 1v1 against Nacl thanks to draining kiss.

Giga drain in particular is good for X2 recovery and to help catch any surprise tera waters

Leftovers is usually handy but convert cloak is to really hammer in the 1v1 by denying salt cure

Attachments

Just as a reminder, this project is Lure that Threat, not Victim of the Week. Hatterene and Poltergeist don't lure Garganacl so I will not be accepting those submissions. Reminder of what a lure is:

What a lure actually is is self-explanatory: specific Pokemon that run an unexpected move or moveset in order to weaken or directly OHKO a specific threat and pave the way for another sweeper. This allows the other Pokemon on a team to have an easier time carrying out their roles to win a game

Thank you to everyone who made a submission this week. You can vote for up up 2 of the following lures

Block Tera Ghost Curse :Garganacl: by sufys12
Dragon Dance Substitute :Dragapult: by ayevon
Infestation Acid Spray Surf Covert Cloak :Toxapex: by 1LDK
Fire Spin :Volcarona: by zaydapoketrainer
:Choice Band: :Arcanine: by Eeveeto
Substitute :Skeledirge: by Magcargo
Choice Specs Hydro Pump :Dragalge: by Venduria
Covert Cloak Taunt Bulk Up :Ceruledge: by Mewthreee
Jaw Lock Tera Ghost Covert Cloak :roaring moon: by Turtlek
Covert Cloak :Dondozo: by brokenmotor
Tera Ghost Curse :Quagsire: by SunCooled

Voting ends Thursday January 12nd at 23:59 EST

Last edited:
:dragapult: and :skeledirge: are the most practical and generally useful sets of these imo.

I've used that Dragapult set a decent amount in mid 1600s, and while not having a immediate ghost stab to threaten ghold is annoying, it can win quite a few late-games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)