Resource SV OU Indigo Disk Viability Ranking Thread

C -> D or Unranked
Get him out of here. Spore is Breloom's saving grace during these times and it's not worth using it any more.
I don't agree. I have never felt like Breloom needs Spore to succeed, and I still do not think it needs that to succeed. It still has a lot of great traits. Same for Amoongus.

Plus, this just feels like a really quick reaction- we've barely played with the changes. Maybe people will experiment with these two more and find more ways they can be used, for instance, like what happened with BW OU Breloom.

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
Color me curious- what niche does Iron Crown fill in OU to be B- as opposed to something like C or D?
Booster Energy with setup moves like Calm Mind and Agility, on a pokemon with solid overall stats and typing, but limited by dark types forcing it to terastalize.

C -> D or Unranked
Get him out of here. Spore is Breloom's saving grace during these times and it's not worth using it any more.
Choice Band sets usually didn't even run spore in the first place and all sets really appreciate Amoongus being less common

I don't agree. I have never felt like Breloom needs Spore to succeed, and I still do not think it needs that to succeed. It still has a lot of great traits. Same for Amoongus.

Plus, this just feels like a really quick reaction- we've barely played with the changes. Maybe people will experiment with these two more and find more ways they can be used, for instance, like what happened with BW OU Breloom.
Booster Energy with setup moves like Calm Mind and Agility, on a pokemon with solid overall stats and typing, but limited by dark types forcing it to terastalize.

Choice Band sets usually didn't even run spore in the first place and all sets really appreciate Amoongus being less common
Nah Breloom’s main selling point compared to other Fighting types is that it has Spore. Even if you aren’t running it, the threat of Spore would still be there until you used all 4 moves.
Without Spore or the threat of Spore, it’s not even on the better half of the Grass/Fighting types. Decidueye-H has more of a niche in OU now because at least it’s a Defogger that can threaten Gholdengo.
And Breloom currently is the same rank as Lilligant-H, which did lose Sleep Powder, but is less reliant on it and has Victory Dance + Way Faster + even bulkier + can be useful for Sun teams.
If Lilligant-H is C, what makes you think Breloom without Spore should still be C if not ranked at all?

Without Spore or the threat of Spore, it’s not even on the better half of the Grass/Fighting types. Decidueye-H has more of a niche in OU now because at least it’s a Defogger that can threaten Gholdengo.
lolno. Breloom has high offensive prowess without sleep and still cuts right through certain defensive structures by itself. DecidH is bad and doesn’t even comfortably threaten Ghold as it’s slower.

If Lilligant-H is C, what makes you think Breloom without Spore should still be C if not ranked at all?
Strong offensive mon vs bulky structures and slices through stall. Difficult to fit due to frailty and middling speed but it deserves a rank because it actually does work.

Technician-boosted Mach Punch and Bullet Seed allows it to threaten a lot of meta Pkmn (Roaring Moon, Dondozo, etc.), especially faster offensive threats. Spore usually has minimal effect with regards to how effective Breloom is at Revenge Killing and Breaking

Technician-boosted Mach Punch and Bullet Seed allows it to threaten a lot of meta Pkmn (Roaring Moon, Dondozo, etc.), especially faster offensive threats. Spore usually has minimal effect with regards to how effective Breloom is at Revenge Killing and Breaking
All things Lilligant can usually do better with better results thanks to Chlorophyll.
And if we just let any Pokemon on the VR be C rank for simply having strong priority and wallbreaking ability or can theoretically beat a top tier, C rank would be filled with more Pokemon than rest if the rankings combined. Why not add Infernape and Conkeldurr and Pawmot?
Plus Spore absolutely does play a part in breaking Pokemon. A Pokemon that otherwise tanks Breloom’s hits can be put to sleep for multiple turns where Breloom can do what it wants.
And an extra kicker, if your opponent still has Tera, what exactly are you going to do against Roaring Moon? Or Kingambit? Hell what about Dragonite with or without Tera?

All things Lilligant can usually do better with better results thanks to Chlorophyll.
And if we just let any Pokemon on the VR be C rank for simply having strong priority and wallbreaking ability or can theoretically beat a top tier, C rank would be filled with more Pokemon than rest if the rankings combined. Why not add Infernape and Conkeldurr and Pawmot?
Plus Spore absolutely does play a part in breaking Pokemon. A Pokemon that otherwise tanks Breloom’s hits can be put to sleep for multiple turns where Breloom can do what it wants.
And an extra kicker, if your opponent still has Tera, what exactly are you going to do against Roaring Moon? Or Kingambit? Hell what about Dragonite with or without Tera?
Lilligant-H is not an apt comparison because it absolutely requires Sun to be up to play that Speed-control/Revenge Kill aspect, which keeps it team specific and means watching the field against opposing Rain or momentum risks if the opponent uses Glowking as a Pivot for example.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Barraskewda: 244-288 (92.4 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lilligant-Hisui in Rain: 210-247 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Water Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lilligant-Hisui in Rain: 280-330 (99.6 - 117.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

Chlorophyll makes for a very fast attacker but it's not going to be present 100% of the time. Breloom also would get some mileage out of Band Technician Bulldoze/Rock Tomb for (depending on choice) a lot of prominent threats or switch-ins like
  • Raging Bolt
  • Gouging Fire
  • Glowking
  • Gholdengo
  • Pelipper in Rain (Bullet Seed needs a high hit count to KO Defensive while for Lilligant the Rain turns off her Grass STAB)
  • Volcarona (Bulldoze is equal to CC 2HKO without a DEF drop, no Flame Body risk, and the Speed drop allowing a 2HKO without Hazard damage due to Boots)
  • Skeledirge
Band Breloom needs a lot of smart positioning because their shared typing and defenses don't survive much, but given Speed reducers like Thunder Wave Glowking or Nuzzle Hatterene, this thing is a Cinder block to the head for a lot of balance defenses, while Mach Punch gives it ways to put in work against Hyper Offense. Lilligant by comparison is very strong under sun but absolutely requires the favorable weather whether or not it uses Victory Dance as well, stops in its tracks if Sun's not out, and has some fierce competition for spots on a Sun team with all the Paradoxes bringing very potent Win Conditions (Roaring Moon, Gouging Fire) and more defensive utility.

Their roles aren't very comparable, but I think Breloom at this point is best evaluated on the back of its Choice Band set, which didn't run Spore anyway, assuming nothing else starts to see experimentation like Poison Heal or more AoA/SD sets (several past Gens it had sets where Spore was optional or not even a Slash). It cuts into its options but not everything it did revolved around that move alone: BW OU currently places it in A- on the still active viability thread well after Sleep moves were banned from the Gen, and while I could believe that's overselling it, the fact it didn't unanimously tumble to the C Ranks in that of all Gens doesn't suggest it lives or dies by Spore, as good as the move is.

All this to say I support Keep Breloom C Rank for now

I disagree with the notion that Lilligant, or any grass/fighting type for that matter, is strictly better than breloom in every aspect, with or without spore. As other people have stated, lilligant’s revenge killing capacity is reliant on sun being up- something you can’t rely on as much as you can rely on breloom’s mach punch. It’s revenge killing potency in this regard is why I feel breloom is defined by mach punch even more than it was defined by spore— and why choice band breloom was it’s best set even before the sleep ban (and it certainly is today).

As for why it deserves to be C rank unlike other wallbreakers that can “theoretically beat a top tier”, breloom simply has the edge in raw damage, to a level which can quite frequently come in handy for certain damage thresholds- for instance, with the example you brought up:

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roaring Moon: 428-506 (121.9 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roaring Moon: 302-356 (86 - 101.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

that let it act as a powerful revenge killer and stallbreaker, since between blissey, ting-lu, clod, and bulky waters like mola and dozo, stall teams have very few options when it comes to things that can switch into both cc and bullet seed from cb breloom.

However, even without spore, breloom still sets itself apart from other slow wallbreakers thanks to an incredibly powerful priority option that enables it to not only revenge kill the numerous setup sweepers and faster pokemon of the tier, but also function as a late-game cleaner— something that sets it apart from first impression users lokix and slither wing, who need to switch out each time they wanna use it and as such can’t really clean up a game if they’re the last one alive even if they might trade more effectively.

Mach punch also doesn’t rely on the enemy using an attack like sucker punch and thunderclap do, so unlike kingambit or raging bolt, you’re not reliant on mindgames to deal with threats that outspeed you. That’s not to say that breloom outclasses either of these mons by any means— but it does mean that Breloom can offer a greater degree of consistency in certain situations, and it also gets to really mess with the mons mentioned above, since being able to act before these moves (unless raging bolt runs enough speed investment to outrun adamant breloom, which it rarely does) lets breloom deal damage to them without actually being hit by sucker punch or thunderclap.

Now, with the loss of spore, the choice for breloom’s 4th moveslot is generally between rock tomb for zapdos and enamorus, or bulldoze for gholdengo and glowking, and I think this is truly up to what the team needs, but I don’t find other options to provide the same value in that last moveslot. While you could, in theory, run something like tera ice tera blast to hit gliscor or lando, I don’t find such options to be worth giving up the potential extra power of tera fighting mach punch.

Overall, I think breloom should remain in C rank due to it’s choice band set being able to function as a wallbreaker, revenge killer, and sweeper all at once, to the point where it’ll always contribute something in every match you bring it to.

People keep saying ”oh keep Breloom C it’s still useful with Choice Band” (as if you can’t replicate what Sporeless Breloom does with several much better Pokemon, and like I said before just leads to filling C/D rank if we let every Pokemon that can do anything on the VR).
Question, why wouldn’t Breloom been higher in the VR before when Spore was still legal? Still had Mach Punch, Bullet Seed, Rock Tomb, Close Combat, etc.
Pretend that Breloom was actually C rank worthy without Spore, then say DLC3 it got access to Spore. Don’t you think this C rank Pokemon would go up dramatically in rank?
Imagine if Iron Valiant or Zamazenta or Dragonite all got Spore. Yeah their ranks would suddenly skyrocket. Inversely Breloom should drop because Spore absolutely boosted its viability before, and seeing how D and Unranked are only ones below C, it makes sense to Unrank Breloom.

:sv/barraskewda: A- -> A

Barra's become a staple on most rains, it's an incredibly useful piece of speed control for rain to beat out the plethora of Booster Energy Pokemon in the meta, particularly Iron Valiant, Roaring Moon (50/50 if not tera'd), Iron Boulder and Gouging Fire. I'd say it's as necessary to run on rain as Archaludon is right now. It heavily appreciates the lower usage of Ogerpon-W as well.
A is too high IMO and to be honest I’m surprised to see any swift swimmers at all in A rank, given their limitations. The gap between Barraskewda and the rest of the viable swimmers should not be two full ranks. Kingdra, Basculegion-M, Basculegion-F, Floatzel, and even Golduck are all viable and have some advantages over Barraskewda.

Kingdra - outspeeds all boosters, not vulnerable to chip / flame body, higher damage output (base power of moves, dragon STAB, Hurricane), superior bulk, survives Grassy Glide, Sucker Punch and Thunderclap.

Basculegion-M - outspeeds all boosters except Iron Boulder (which dies to Aqua Jet), higher damage output (Wave Crash), significantly higher bulk, spin blocks, survives Extremespeed

Basculegion-F - same as Male but with slightly more special power than Kingdra. STAB on Shadow Ball.

Floatzel - outspeeds all boosters. Higher damage output (Wave Crash). Slightly more bulk.

Golduck - out speeds all boosters. Same damage output as Kingdra with Specs, or can run the real set Nasty Plot + 3 attacks which is an insane set. (OUTJ UU to suspect took Golduck & Floatzel to 2100 Elo).

Just saying. Either Skewda should drop a bit or the other swimmers should get bumped.

Imo gking should be at least s- if not even s tier because it is so good right now. It’s extremely easy to fit on a team since it has so many merits. It with regenerator and slack off makes it extremely hard to wear down and it also is very bulky specially along with slow chilly receptions pivoting in strong but frail breakers safely with almost no drawback. It also works great with Kyurem as it lets Kyurem use a 100% accurate blizzard and boost kyurem’s defense, which is really good. I’ve also seen a lot of people complaining about Sun and rain teams, and gking makes that matchup so much better with chilly reception and Tera water. It’s even one of the best stall breakers in the game with it generating so much momentum with future sight. This makes it imo very good AND easy to fit on almost all teams that aren’t HO.

:sv/iron valiant:
A- -> A
I think iron valiant is a bit underrated in this tier list as it is on par with stuff in the a rank like hatterene and enamorus. It may have less speed then iron boulder, but it has a better defensive typing and better stabs than iron boulder, while also having more versatility. I think it is more of a sidegrade to boulder than a downgrade. Plus, checking gambit is always a plus.

:sv/heatran:
B- -> A
I know, the heatran guy saying that heatran should be ranked higher haha. That said, it does extremely well into a lot of top tier mons. With air balloon, it is the single best counter to kyurem, mainly the specs variants, though if you tera into something like flying or grass, you can suprise ko chipped kyurem. It also does well against ghold and gambit due to magma storm's damage and trapping ability. Gliscor also can't do much if it's only attacking move is e-quake, which is not as common as before, but still common enough mentioning.

:sv/greninja:
B+ -> B
I'm sorry, but greninja is not better than stuff like zapdos and amoonguss. It's outclassed as a water type sweeper by every rain abuser and ogerpon-wellspring, which I think should potentially drop a tier, but I can see why people think it is A- rank. Battle bond may be amazing, but it's fraility is too severe for that speed tier and lack of early game power. Plus, if it is forced to switch out, which it can be decently easily, it is going to be mostly deadweight.

:sv/iron valiant:
A- -> A
I think iron valiant is a bit underrated in this tier list as it is on par with stuff in the a rank like hatterene and enamorus. It may have less speed then iron boulder, but it has a better defensive typing and better stabs than iron boulder, while also having more versatility. I think it is more of a sidegrade to boulder than a downgrade. Plus, checking gambit is always a plus.

:sv/heatran:
B- -> A
I know, the heatran guy saying that heatran should be ranked higher haha. That said, it does extremely well into a lot of top tier mons. With air balloon, it is the single best counter to kyurem, mainly the specs variants, though if you tera into something like flying or grass, you can suprise ko chipped kyurem. It also does well against ghold and gambit due to magma storm's damage and trapping ability. Gliscor also can't do much if it's only attacking move is e-quake, which is not as common as before, but still common enough mentioning.

:sv/greninja:
B+ -> B
I'm sorry, but greninja is not better than stuff like zapdos and amoonguss. It's outclassed as a water type sweeper by every rain abuser and ogerpon-wellspring, which I think should potentially drop a tier, but I can see why people think it is A- rank. Battle bond may be amazing, but it's fraility is too severe for that speed tier and lack of early game power. Plus, if it is forced to switch out, which it can be decently easily, it is going to be mostly deadweight.
All of those are good points for gren being lower, however rain is pretty good right now which means specs battle bond is gonna be good by extension. Specs battle bond isn't necessarily outclassed, as it can still snowball in rain, and tera stellar life orb sets can get around it's initial lack of power.

Sure stuff like Torn-T, Raging Bolt, Archaludon, and Skewda are better rain abusers, but Gren has snowball potential the others do not have and should probably stay where it is.
Now that I think of it maybe Tornadus-T should rise as recently it's shown to be able to get results on rain, and even then it has shown that despite not being the bulkiest thing ever, knock off + Regen is a unqiue attribute nothing else can really replicate in the meta even if there are better offensive users of the move, as a support knock off user, Tornadus-T can still knock items off and cripple things over the course of a game thanks to regen being silly. It still has to worry about Raging bolt, Heatran, and Kyurem, as well as some things that outspeed. But less knock off absorbers being as good, with the decline of the ogerpons, and the fall of Zapdos, Tornadus-T can spam knock off Regen foolishness way more throughout a game.

Not suggesting a huge rise but like :Tornadus-Therian: from B+ to A- with the recent meta trends that benefit it and the fact rain is as good as it goes is, as well as Torn showing itself as a good choice on rain as always and just meta conditions being better for it to pull knock off Regen antics like it has been known for over the years

:furret: Furret from UR -> D

I made a full essay post on OU Furret here and brought Furret with me to OST, so I'm going to give the cliff notes version here so the post doesn't fill the whole page (the full essay explains additional specifics). To keep it short and simple, Furret gained access to Tidy Up and has excellent role compression with Trick Scarf, Knock Off, and U-Turn. With Furret's ability to scout via Frisk, disrupt, clean hazards, and cripple bulky threats/setup sweepers (such as Bolt, DD Kyurem, etc.) along with being a utility pivot, it has become a fixture on numerous teams and has great synergy with Pokemon such as Great Tusk and Glowking. Furret's ability to terastallize also allows it to utilize its defensive profile to an unexpected advantage via Tera Fairy, providing both a natural Ghost immunity + a newfound Dragon immunity along with a Fighting resistance (fun bonus is that this can completely stuff Dragapult, especially with Scarf given that Furret outspeeds Pult with Scarf). I stand by Furret's utility and have personally confirmed (along with other contributors and players) that it has a strong utility niche in OU that cannot be replicated by any other Pokemon and should be ranked on VR for its numerous phenomenal qualities along with being able to consistently incapacitate two to three opposing Pokemon in a match.

OST Match - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2042289508?p2

Furret 5.png

Furret 3.JPG

Furret 2.png

Last edited:
Pawmot - Unranked -> C/D Tier
I believe that Pawmot is one of the top 5 most slept-on Pokémon in the OU meta. While there are multiple good ground types in the Meta, Life Orb Pawmot still walls gambit’s stabs (and Gambit rarely runs coverage) and OHKO’s it with CC, and can still pick up a K.O. with DS if Gambit Tera’s. It can also use CC to OHKO several common threats such as Kyurem, Moon, Meowscarada, Weavile, Archaludon, H-Samuott, and many more. It is great against the currently common rain teams, being one of the only fast physical electrics currently, with no competition for this role on the rankings. With Volt Absorb, it can be a valuable asset on rain teams of its own. Pawmot can also OHKO an incoming Dragapult or Gholdengo with Knock Off, which then doubles as utility. Speaking of utility, Pawmot has one of the best utility moves a Pokémon can have - Revival Blessing. Because the only thing scarier than one Gouging Fire is two Gouging Fires. Pawmot has plenty of other coverage options, such as the aforementioned Knock Off, also having access to Mach Punch, Wish, Nuzzle, and T-Wave. With everything above and more supporting it, I find that not ranking Pawmot on the list to be a disservice to it.

Pawmot - Unranked -> C/D Tier
Seconding :pawmot: for C rank.

Pawmot @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure/Iron Fist
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Shock
- Close Combat
- Knock Off/Ice Punch
- Revival Blessing

I can’t emphasize enough how solid of a niche Pawmot has on weather teams thanks to Revival Blessing. Both Torkoal and Pelipper have a Stealth Rock weakness, but find themselves obligated to run their respective weather rocks, and therefore neither of them can afford equipping Heavy-Duty Boots. A capable opponent with a good matchup can put a lot of pressure on weather teams by exploiting this to restrict how often the weather setter can hit the field, oftentimes forcing weather teams to “backend” their setter switchins to assure they have their win condition available at the end of the game. Having Pawmot on your weather team greatly alleviates this pressure by allowing one to play much more aggressively with their weather setter by choosing when to trade Pawmot for a Revival; since the act of switching in a weather setter alone is enough to achieve another 8 turns of weather, being revived at only 50% HP is hardly a drawback for them whatsoever. This is also incredibly useful in weather war matchups, as you may imagine. However, Pawmot also benefits from being a solid breaker in its own right, able to force switches and pressure Pokémon that otherwise can be a pain for weather teams to match up into. 105 speed is solid for a breaker, and basically nothing slower than Pawmot actually enjoys taking a hit from it. I don’t think Pawmot has a big niche as an OU breaker outside of Revival Blessing due to how heavy the competition is for that slot, but I think Revival Blessing alone is huge for certain teamstyles such as the aforementioned weather, and weather teams are very strong in the current OU meta thanks to the influx of weather dragons in DLC2.

I'm curious on why there is a D tier instead of C- tier in this list. Unless I am missing something, but isn't the D tier reserved for mons that are in the tier by rank, but unviable in said tier?

Another thing to add here on top of what Alfa said, but this is notably the first time aside from early SwSh that Primarina no longer has to deal with being in the shadow of Tapu Fini, as the latter is not in the game. Even more notably is that this is also the first time Primarina doesn't have to deal with Toxapex (gen 7 & 8) or the Slowtwins (gen 8) every two games to annoy the absolute oblivion over it. Pex is still viable, but is a shell of its former self both in viability and usage, while the Kanto Slowtwins are straight up nonexistent in the tier. Its natural typing also works very well with the influx of Dragon types that swarm the upper end of the usage statistics.
Also with psychic noise, it has the incentive run torrent, allowing it to hit stuff like a truck when low, and psychic noise goes crazy against anything that tries to sub, and MURDER PEX. No pex wants to switch in, get subbed on toxic, and then psychic noised as it fails to break the sub with surf. No regen on switch makes it basically a death sentence to any pex, amoonguss is like nonexistent nowadays anyway. So yeah. I mean gking has sludge which breaks sub, but it still doesn’t switch in on psychic noise. So yeah, it also got way better too! :pika:

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Also with psychic noise, it has the incentive run torrent, allowing it to hit stuff like a truck when low, and psychic noise goes crazy against anything that tries to sub, and MURDER PEX. No pex wants to switch in, get subbed on toxic, and then psychic noised as it fails to break the sub with surf. No regen on switch makes it basically a death sentence to any pex, amoonguss is like nonexistent nowadays anyway.
Quick note, Psychic Noise does not cancel Regenerator recovery.

:sv/comfey:
Comfey - Unranked > D/C

Only two weeks into SPL and Comfey has already made an impression as a CM sweeper on Grassy Terrain offense teams with Grassy Seed sets similar to the one below.

Comfey @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Triage
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draining Kiss
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Taunt / Synthesis

The story in each game with Comfey so far has been if the opposing Poisons and Steels have been removed or otherwise neutralized and Comfey is able to get a CM up then the incredible longevity provided its STAB priority Draining Kiss allows it to eventually tear teams apart. On the other hand, if opposing resists aren't removed then well 82 SpA and 50 BP aren't really doing a whole lot, even when boosted. Anyways, over the course of three games in SPL, Comfey has comfortably closed out two of them, racking up a total of 10 KOs in the process. Obviously this is a tiny sample size so I'm likely jumping the gun here but I think it's enough to at least warrant consideration.

:comfey: SPL Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-741008
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-742260
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-742734

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 9)