Resource SV OU Indigo Disk Viability Ranking Thread

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
Empoleon is finally gone from the VR! Rejoice!

What's up with Hydreigon rising though? And Tyranitar?
like ausma mentioned, i'm the one who suggested to put hydreigon on the VR

as for why, i've always found hydreigon to be severely underrated ever since the HOME metagame but its typing and access to levitate gives it a neat defensive profile that matches up well into several metagame staples (i.e kingambit, gliscor, gholdengo, slowking-G, etc.). it's mainly held back by being slower than a lot of common offensive threats, and it doesn't help that it's weak to a lot of them too. still though, very unique pokemon and imo worth at least a ranking on the VR

Follow up questions that I forgot to ask:
Why did Latios rise? It has major competition with other dragon types, and I don't think I've seen any new sets pop up that make it significantly different from the others.
And if its alright to ask, why didn't meowscarada (and to a certain extent, iron boulder) drop? It's been seeing less success and the competition seems a lot stiffer.
Does dozo fit anywhere other then stall? Just wondering because I haven't really seen it outside
It fits on BO and Balance just fine. It's a great setup sweeper that can work as a wall really well. It's kinda like a slower zamazenta that can wall setup sweepers from the get go, while also having a better defensive typing. Not a 1-1 comparison, but that's the jist of it.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
Follow up questions that I forgot to ask:
Why did Latios rise? It has major competition with other dragon types, and I don't think I've seen any new sets pop up that make it significantly different from the others.
it's tied with kyurem for having the strongest draco meteor in the tier and it's much faster than kyurem. luster purge and psychic noise are also great STAB options and extremely spammable against bulkier teams, and flip turn allows it to maintain momentum even after hitting a roadblock

Why Dondozo rise only one subrank? A mon for me.
Edit: Could you elaborate on Dragapult please? Although it's a bit obvious, it's something that involves S tier.
Pult has been exploring status and mixed sets more and more, which have proven incredibly effective. Dual status or status + uturn then hex and either draco or darts hits nearly the entire meta and the speed tier is as good as it's ever been. It also helps a lot to stifle some of the most threatening mons in the tier like waterpon with aforementioned fast status. Between that and specs still being threatening, even the niche band having a place, it's a very versatile and threatening mon on all manner of teams throughout the entire game.

Drops
:heatran: A- to B+
:latias: B+ to B
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITS SO OVER HEATRANATION AND LATIABROS
1711942641786.png

Rises
:landorus-therian: A to A+
:darkrai: B+ to A
:rotom-wash: B to B+
:tyranitar: B- to B
:zapdos: B- to B
on a more positive note tho, these 5 rises(good ol ttar(
1711943507513.png
) mainly, tho the other 4(especially lando-t) are just as good of rises)made me generally happy so ig its not entirely over after all!
Newly Added
:hydreigon: UR to D
this is p epic as well(considering how much of a hydreigon believer i am), but i honestly i generally wonder what made hydreigon get added to vr for the first time since the home metagame?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITS SO OVER HEATRANATION AND LATIABROS View attachment 620724

on a more positive note tho, these 5 rises(good ol ttar(View attachment 620728) mainly, tho the other 4(especially lando-t) are just as good of rises)made me generally happy so ig its not entirely over after all!

this is p epic as well(considering how much of a hydreigon believer i am), but i honestly i generally wonder what made hydreigon get added to vr for the first time since the home metagame?
Already answered here.
like ausma mentioned, i'm the one who suggested to put hydreigon on the VR

as for why, i've always found hydreigon to be severely underrated ever since the HOME metagame but its typing and access to levitate gives it a neat defensive profile that matches up well into several metagame staples (i.e kingambit, gliscor, gholdengo, slowking-G, etc.). it's mainly held back by being slower than a lot of common offensive threats, and it doesn't help that it's weak to a lot of them too. still though, very unique pokemon and imo worth at least a ranking on the VR

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
why did deo-s drop? its an incredibly versatile and hard hitting mon, with life orb 4a sets on lando-t structured offences or nasty plot boots on balance being really good, and the lead set to be reliable as always; its coverage is amazing and being able to outspend booster tusk is incredible in this current meta, not to mention how hard it hits. I would frankly consider giving it a rise to A+ on the contrary, I don't mind elaborating more but seeing it drop is very bizarre

why did deo-s drop? its an incredibly versatile and hard hitting mon, with life orb 4a sets on lando-t structured offences or nasty plot boots on balance being really good, and the lead set to be reliable as always; its coverage is amazing and being able to outspend booster tusk is incredible in this current meta, not to mention how hard it hits. I would frankly consider giving it a rise to A+ on the contrary, I don't mind elaborating more but seeing it drop is very bizarre
It was answered in the major drops section but tldr, A rank was seen as an overestimation last slate, but A- is reasonable due to the success it has seen in SPL and the drop off in usage it had after the arch ban.

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
It was answered in the major drops section but tldr, A rank was seen as an overestimation last slate, but A- is reasonable due to the success it has seen in SPL and the drop off in usage it had after the arch ban.
I wouldn't consider A- reasonable though, its being placed in the same tier as Meowscarada, treads, Torkoal, moth etc. like no disrespect to those guys but deoxys-speed is just way better, even better than some mons in A+ such as Kyurem and Rmoon rn imo. Calling A rank an overestimation last slate may be accurate due to it being underexplored but right now its certainly at least A rank for sure, if not A+

deoxys-s is one of the best offensive mons rn with its crazy speed letting it invest heavily into both atk and spa which makes it hit like a truck with life orb, and most importantly its crazy good coverage makes it a great anti-lead in this meta, its very hard to stop besides priority like gambit/dnite but pair it with smth like zama/lando-t/ting and its no issues at all

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
not really the place to be contentious about the vr of all things but also wanted to echo exotics sentiment about deos drop being rly blah. I feel the drop is more of a reaction due to the low usage on the part of the ladder with the most players but if you ever play deo i think its pretty apparent how much of a headache it is to play agaisnt. offers some insane utility and has 8 million sets while hitting respectably hard with that uh, crazy speed stat. think this is more of a "i dont see this pokemon" case which makes people think it should drop? it showings it spl, ost and stour have been quite strong but rarely will you see it on ladder.

i think its pretty clear cut A material even if the usage isnt there, there has been low usage high in the ranking before. darkrai and hatt are A despite not having insanely high usage + having the same "being hard to build with" issue like the mons in the same tier or higher, because well, theyre really good. obivously higher usage than deos but just for some perspective.

I wouldn't consider A- reasonable though, its being placed in the same tier as Meowscarada, treads, Torkoal, moth etc. like no disrespect to those guys but deoxys-speed is just way better, even better than some mons in A+ such as Kyurem and Rmoon rn imo. Calling A rank an overestimation last slate may be accurate due to it being underexplored but right now its certainly at least A rank for sure, if not A+

deoxys-s is one of the best offensive mons rn with its crazy speed letting it invest heavily into both atk and spa which makes it hit like a truck with life orb, and most importantly its crazy good coverage makes it a great anti-lead in this meta, its very hard to stop besides priority like gambit/dnite but pair it with smth like zama/lando-t/ting and its no issues at all
That was their words, not mine. I was just explaining why they believed it was at the position it was.
It would say it is comparable to stuff like clefable and dondozo, who are also A- rank, but maybe A rank would be better since it is a bit better than those two. I think it being better than some A+ mons is wrong though, Deo-S is definetely great and paired with the right mons it can definetely do great, but it is a bit hard to build around otherwise. Every other A+ rank mon is decently easy to build around, so it would be fair to rank it lower.

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
That was their words, not mine. I was just explaining why they believed it was at the position it was.
It would say it is comparable to stuff like clefable and dondozo, who are also A- rank, but maybe A rank would be better since it is a bit better than those two. I think it being better than some A+ mons is wrong though, Deo-S is definetely great and paired with the right mons it can definetely do great, but it is a bit hard to build around otherwise. Every other A+ rank mon is decently easy to build around, so it would be fair to rank it lower.
bruh how is it hard to build around just put it with lando-t/sam and slap a life orb on it or boots with ting/gliscor, ironically what is hard to build around in the current meta right now are the "A+ rank" mons such as Kyurem and gholdengo

bruh how is it hard to build around just put it with lando-t/sam and slap a life orb on it or boots with ting/gliscor, ironically what is hard to build around in the current meta right now are the "A+ rank" mons such as Kyurem and gholdengo
It has a lack of defensive utility, how are you switching it in besides on a predicted double switch or a revenge kill? Even something like alomomola scald is doing 20-25%. Only really passive mons like skarm (which it still takes 20-25% from bp) it can switch into. Psychic typing is horrible defensively, resisting fighting may seem nice, but even defensive tusk's cc is a 3hit ko.
Maybe slow u-turns/flip turns could work, and corv/alomomola could definetely work with that but otherwise it ain't taking any hits. Compare that to something like Kyurem or Ghold, which can switch into attacks, and that's how its difficult to build around. You sometimes have to overcompensate for its lack of defensive utility, thus making you use specific structures which is limiting.

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
It has a lack of defensive utility, how are you switching it in besides on a predicted double switch or a revenge kill? Even something like alomomola scald is doing 20-25%. Only really passive mons like skarm (which it still takes 20-25% from bp) it can switch into. Psychic typing is horrible defensively, resisting fighting may seem nice, but even defensive tusk's cc is a 3hit ko.
i mean lets say deos on average lives for 3 turns. the amount of value you get out of those 3 turns is insane in comparison to the fact that it probably only has 3 turns of value out of it. in a meta where offense based teams are the most popular playstyle among the general playerbase id say thats more than enough. even with the slight rise of balance builds right now, its kit has enough to make notable progress vs these playstyles assuming you are capable to properly evaluate risk vs reward

keep in mind a lot of teams actually using this pokemon arent running max max and are running just enough speed for relevant threats to that team in particular and then dumping the rest in hp (usually) for longevity.

i mean lets say deos on average lives for 3 turns. the amount of value you get out of those 3 turns is insane in comparison to the fact that it probably only has 3 turns of value out of it. in a meta where offense based teams are the most popular playstyle among the general playerbase id say thats more than enough. even with the slight rise of balance builds right now, its kit has enough to make notable progress vs these playstyles
Okay, that's fair, but I still think that A rank is fair. I still don't like how it has zero defensive utility as even something like weavile has a bit of defensive utility (it can take sucker punch from gambit) but if its on a fast paced team then that could work. If the meta is more inclined to that, then that's a fair thought to make. Also, stuff like psycho boost and superpower lowering your stats means you have to switch out, and if this meta is fast paced, that could be devestating.
Of course, there is also innovations such as 200/204/104+ Deo-S which outspeeds +1 gouging while still being able to invest in its attacking stats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 8)