Suspect SV Inheritance Suspect #1: March of the Toreadors (Ursaluna) (Suspect Tours Schedule in Post #5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
:sv/ursaluna:
Ursaluna is a pokemon that made a pretty big impression when it debuted in SV, with its enormous attack, fantastic bulk, and interesting offensive typing. It was originally banned along a variety of stuff at the beginning of HOME meta, when Inheritance hadn't even had its first ladder for the generation. Its amazing stats combined with access to STAB Extreme Speed was percieved as too strong in these early stages. With the changes brought with the release of DLC 1 and 2, in addition to Inheritance obtaining a permanent ladder, it is the council's opinion that it may better fit within the metagame now.

The first set most people would try with Ursaluna is some sort of Extreme Speed attacker, from either Lucario for access to Swords Dance or Arcanine or Dragonite for a more bulkier style of wincon. These sets have trouble breaking the very common Unaware users in the tier, as they all lack damage-boosting abilities as well as lacking reliable ways of muscling past them like Toxic or Taunt+Recovery. On top of that, Its typing has very little in the way of defensive utility and instead giving it a lot of annoying weaknesses, such as Water, Ice and notably Fighting, which leaves it vulnerable to Body Press from a lot of defensive pokemon and gives it a particularly bad matchup versus Great Tusk, a pretty fantastic pokemon both offensively and defensively. It can also be heavily hampered by Levitate Steel Types such as Gholdengo and Iron Crown. Lasty, if it can't click a priority move its very slow, which can be exploited. This is a huge obstacle for other potential sets such as Maushold!Ursaluna and Gumshoos!Ursaluna.

However, it is undeniable that its Extreme Speeds are very strong, heavily denting any offensive pokemon and even being able to OHKO some with one layer of Spikes, such as Sneasler. With this tool alone, it can heavily pressure offense, forcing the style to run atypical stuff such as Tsareena and Indeedee inheritors. Ursaluna can also use its enormous bulk to get out of sticky situations and beat its checks. It's also of note that the bear can even be a viable donor as it has the combination of Headlong Rush, Guts and Swords Dance with a wide array of coverage on top of these notable examples which pokemon like Landorus T and Great Tusk can abuse. Ursaluna's potencial is mostly unexplored, as there is no close comparison currently free in this or any previous generation. For this reason, the council decided to test it out and let the playerbase decide.

How (Suspect Details):
During a Suspect test, each player must climb the ladder until they've acquired the GXE necessary to participate in the voting. Primarily, everyone that participates needs to make an alt account following these guidelines:

• Every game must be played on the official Pokemon Showdown! site and on a new account (creation date no earlier than today, February 10) with "INHU "--for example, I could create one called "INHU man" to ladder with. Having the prefix at the beginning of your alt name is mandatory, AKA not in the middle (e.g. The INHU Man) and not at the end (e.g. Mr INHU).
  • To qualify for voting, your alt must meet the required GXE and games played threshold; 75% GXE and 25 games minimum.
  • Ursaluna will be allowed during the suspect
  • The suspect test will go for two weeks and end on February 24 at 10:00pm GMT-5
  • When posting proof of meeting reqs, feel free to use this thread as a means to disseminate topical opinions regarding whether or not Ursaluna should be unbanned (Optional)
  • It is mandatory to provide proof of ownership of the alt account as well. (Post a picture of your reqs with your smogon name featured)

Thank you in advance dhelmise for implementing it

I pretty much agree with everything Don mentioned. I haven't started laddering yet, but early on I'm thinking Ursaluna will basically have 2 viable sets in Inheritance.

(1) Setup + E-Speed
:Dragonite:
Ursaluna @ :Lum Berry: / :Silk Scarf: / :Leftovers:
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Roost
:Lucario:
Ursaluna @ :Lum Berry: / :Silk Scarf: / :Life Orb:
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

(2) Choice Band Wallbreaker
:Entei:
Ursaluna @ :Choice Band:
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stomping Tantrum
- Double-Edge
:Dragonite:
Ursaluna @ :Choice Band:
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
:Gumshoos:
Ursaluna @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
:Arcanine:
Ursaluna @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Double-Edge
- Head Smash

Other, less viable (bad) options
:Falinks:
Ursaluna @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- No Retreat
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Close Combat

Unaware still dgaf
:Haxorus:
Ursaluna @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Close Combat

Ursaluna is probably too slow to run DD effectively. Even at +2 it is outsped by my scarfers and Deo-S
The problem with Ursaluna is that any Setup + E-Speed set is handled by the myriad of Unaware walls :Suicune::Ting-Lu::Corviknight: that dominate the tier and are staples of Inheritance stall and balance teambuilds. For that reason, I think Choice Band sets will be superior; CB E-Speed allows Ursaluna to serve as a blanket check to Hyper Offense and Offense teambuilds while still having the wallbreaking power to stress common defensive cores.

The prevalence of Psychic Surge :Deoxys-Speed::Azelf: presents a massive challenge to Ursaluna, as most of its sets are based around the power and utility of E-Speed.

I'm not ready to make any conclusions as far as banning/keeping it.

Anyways, have fun laddering y'all.

Last edited:
If you wanted to compress ExtremeSpeed + pivot around Ursaluna’s defensive counters on a band set, so it can scout and run anti-HO, you could also inherit from Deoxys-S. It has access to Teleport, which is cool as it won’t take Rocky Helmet damage.

Also, you get access to Knock Off with such a set, while also maintaining the accessibility of the elemental punches if you do want to nail Corviknight. I would think you’d be better off just running this in a VoltTurn core to chase Corv away and maintain momentum.

Ursaluna (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Stomping Tantrum
- Knock Off / Fire Punch / Thunder Punch
- Teleport

Last edited:

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
IMG_20240214_234051093_HDR.jpg

I am, sadly, not in huancayo at the moment.

I lost like 3 times to forgetting i queued, once to getting flinched twice in a row by a darkrai in endgame, and like 3 times to Gary. Ursaluna is like super fine. Setup sets suck complete ass, and if it wants to run espeed it doesn't have access to a dmg amp ability or anything of the sort, and you have to do some concessions for all band sets. Inner focus is probably the best ability available for band sets bc it blocks intim, and lucario and dnite have great coverage too, but they have no utility outside of clicking, no knock no trick no pivot. Other ones that do get that tend to not have eq and even double edge in the case of deoxys. Speaking of dedge, harc has rock head so you can click it for free, but that doesn't have a ground move better than buldoze.

Voting unban

Last edited:
1708213310798.png

Think banded H-Arcanine is its best set.

:Ursaluna: @ :Choice Band: INH:Arcanine-Hisui:
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Extreme Speed
- Double-Edge
- Flare Blitz

It almost doesn't matter that Arcanine has no ground move bc having Head Smash and Flare Blitz w/o recoil is basically like having a STAB 100 BP Rock move and a STAB 80 BP Fire move. It has a 120 BP Double-Edge with no drawbacks and can (almost) 2HKO all of the premier defensive walls in the tier. Not to mention ESpeed, the main draw of the set, revenge KO'ing most setup sweepers with any amount of chip damage.
Jolly is an option over Adamant to outspeed and 2HKO Suicune, defensive Moltres, OHKO Ghold, etc etc.

252+ Atk Choice Band Ursaluna Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Iron Hands: 232-274 (45.3 - 53.5%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ursaluna Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 223-264 (55.1 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ursaluna Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 316-374 (79 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Ursaluna Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 181-214 (59.5 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ursaluna Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ting-Lu: 280-331 (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Additionally, it provides solid role compression as a wallbreaker and offensive rocker bc no Magic Bouncer can take a hit from this thing. Flare Blitz + Double-Edge offers almost perfect neutral coverage in a tier that does not have any relevant rock types aside from Iron Boulder and Terrakion.

:Ursaluna: @ :Silk Scarf: INH:Arcanine-Hisui:
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Extreme Speed
- Double-Edge
- Flare Blitz

Losses include (1) a crit on Corv and (2) Don caught me with a Colbur Berry
(1) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9inheritance-2061745387?p2
(2) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9inheritance-2060038720

Really solid mon, I think it's firmly in the A tier. Hyper offense takes a massive hit, but otherwise I think Ursaluna fits well into the meta.

Vote no ban

also
Don Vascus needs to update VR & sample teams since the chien ban.

Last edited:
image_2024-02-24_144806733.png

After losing a tour yesterday to dumb ho after having never played the tier, I took my newfound metagame knowledge and built stole a stall team.
(thanks Mywookiearmy)
:iron-hands::ting-lu::chansey::great-tusk::coalossal::sinistcha:
Made some slight tweaks, such as changing clef doner to dirge and moving rocks to iron hands x magcargo. Also replaced eq on coal with stone edge so it can actually touch enam. Chansey is more personal preference, but it helps against physical setup stuff like marill inheriters. Intim is probably better on hands, but flame body is a fun ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)