Suspect SV AAA Suspect #8: Toxic Debris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader

Suspect test...
IsaiahIvar57TranquilityLordBoxDFMQTAthaResult
Toxic DebrisYesYesABSYesYesYesYes6-1-0 Suspect

WHY:

Following a 6-1 vote, the council has decided to suspect test Toxic Debris! There has been some recent community discussion on the topic (start on this post and scroll down) already, but I'll summarize some of the positions here.

Toxic Debris is typically used on Garganacl and bulky Ground-types such as Great Tusk and the occasional Garchomp or Ursaluna-Bloodmoon, presumably because they tend to be able to threaten Poison-types, which are the main absorbers of Toxic Spikes. In practice, Toxic Debris can be a harshly punishing countermeasure to weak pivots like Corviknight using U-turn, and teams without very strong counterplay in the form of absorption or entry hazard removal can find it very difficult to position without sacrificing teammates to the poison status. Kinetic1000 describes some of the scenarios well:
tdebris also forces you to play a certain way. first you have to scout for it, not unlike any other immunity ability for example, but if you trigger it, then you have to do one of several things
1. go to a flying type to avoid tspikes and defog (or go to ur defogger later)
2. go to a poison type and threaten to kill the tdebris mon in front of you or switch out if you can't
3. accept your mon is going to get poisoned and deal with it (usually not the best play unless you're in the late-game)
it also makes you wary of clicking u-turn (similarly to annihilape, which nearly everyone who got reqs and posted an opinion in the thread wants banned), since they could switch to their tdebris mon on a predicted u-turn from you and take advantage of one of the above sequences happening
So in practice, one of the biggest threats Toxic Debris users can impose doesn't even require the ability to get activated more than once. Even after removing the TSpikes, opponents can become very wary of clicking weak moves for fear of the strong potential punishment.

That being said, Toxic Debris isn't perfect. The most common setters, Great Tusk and Garchomp, don't have any self sustain past Leftovers, and they functionally have no ability if facing a team that isn't very susceptible to TSpikes. While not ubiquitous, Poison-types like Iron Moth and Gengar are both decent offensive threats and are fairly common in usage, enabling them to function as usable TSpikes absorbers. Additionally, the prevalence of Heavy-Duty Boots users and Flying-types means that finding viable targets for Toxic Debris's effect is by no means guaranteed. One could also make the philosophical argument that the challenges Toxic Debris places on teambuilding/gameplay are positive, because they encourage thoughtfulness in team composition and actual gameplanning within a battle.

How (Suspect Details):
During a Suspect test, each player must climb the ladder until they've acquired the GXE necessary to participate in the voting. Primarily, everyone that participates needs to make an alt account following these guidelines:
  • Every game must be played on the official Pokemon Showdown! site and on a new account (creation date no earlier than today, Tuesday, November 21st) with "AAATD "--for example, I could create one called "AAATD Your Mom" to ladder with. Having the prefix at the beginning of your alt name is mandatory, AKA not in the middle (e.g. The AAATD Man) and not at the end (e.g. The AAATD).
  • To qualify for voting, your alt must meet the required GXE and games played threshold; it starts at 78% GXE at 25 games, down to 75% GXE at 40+ games.
  • Toxic Debris will be allowed on the ladder during the suspect.​
  • The suspect test will go for two weeks and end on Tuesday, December 5th at 10:00pm GMT -5
  • When posting proof of meeting reqs, feel free to use this thread as a means to disseminate topical opinions regarding whether or not Toxic Debris should be banned (Optional).
  • It is mandatory to provide proof of ownership of the alt account as well. (Post a picture of your reqs with your smogon name featured)
With that all of that being said, it's suspect time! As usual, the actual voting will take place in the Blind Voting Forum, so posting anything other than proof of reqs and discussion isn't necessary.

Tagging Kris for implementation

Last edited:

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader

I speed laddered hardcore, some of my losses were inevitably caused by sloppy playing.

Ban Toxic Debris, it is horribly busted.

Team used::Gholdengo: :Scream Tail: :Great Tusk: :Corviknight: :Sandy Shocks: :Roaring Moon:

A modified version of my Sample team which I used to get number 1 on ladder a month ago, it is a relatively standard team with the noteworthy exception being LO Pixieburst, originally I had Psyshock over Stealth Rock but I find relying on the hazard more consistent despite lossing out on KO's on target such as Iron Moth and Gengar (you still 2hko Gengar if it switches into Boomburst). Alternatively you can run Heavy Duty Boots, Fairy Feather, or Leftovers on the Scream Tail, but the damage granted by LO is significant.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 3.19.50 AM.png

Had fun with these reqs!

Gonna vote ban. I had written my thoughts about td on the forum. The sentiments in that post I have seen shared by others. Even though it's one of the abilities that's a staple on my teams, I realize that's because it's busted more than anything else. If this is banned the risk/reward for t-spikes will be much more in-line with other hazards, which is healthier for the meta in the short and long term.

Last edited:

LordBox

you should love yourself... NOW!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
1700669167833.png

Getting 0.1 off reqs at 25 games and then losing two in a row is not a fun night to have but thankfully I was still able to complete reqs somewhat neatly in the end. Luck was horrible throughout this run, losing multiple games to incredibly lucky crits and para/Hurricane confusions but for this run it was a bit less egregious thankfully. Used generic HO like last time but modified slightly. For the final stretch I decided I wanted to be more consistent so I brang my sample balance and it worked wonders thankfully.

I'm kinda tired so I won't say much and others have already said plenty about TDebris away so if you want detailed arguments go to the main thread and read theirs. For me I mostly agree, TDebris is kinda cancerous. I think I figured this out when I put an Okidogi one of my teams just so I could have a TSpikes absorber (biggest mistake of my life). Passively being able to set TSpikes is really annoying and forces a lot of teams to go out of their way to fit a Poison-type. You can also not, but it makes you life 10x harder and it frankly exacerbates the annoying hazard issue this gen has been plague with due to gutted distribution so I'd rather not deal with it. Not really egregiously broken like Annihilape or Bax but I do think it is rather unhealthy, restricting and just unfun to play against in general without bringing much to the tier.

Slither Wing

used First Impression!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
1700768448873.png

First attempt, got haxed a bit but im happy with it
:Walking Wake: :Gholdengo: :Meloetta: :Corviknight: :Slither Wing: :Gengar: Goated team tbh, also s/o to ATCQ

Regarding Toxic Debris:
At the moment im probably voting ban since I think its annoying as fuck to play against, but I understand that biased tiering isn't very good, and debris is healthy in a way that it forces you to think more carefully. If someone writes a good reason to not ban it I might change my opinion, but if not then I'll probably vote Ban.

Nashrock

nothing to say and nothing to lose
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
1700790158658.png

This meta is so stagnated and you're seeing every team consisted of those probably 10 mons. Probably won't vote ban because I think people are too relying on ut moves and TD can somehow restricted them (especially manaphy, never hate it so much)
Thank you cat for your screen team.

td sus.PNG

I'm not even sure what to think about Toxic Debris yet. Yeah, some teams get screwed by it, but as long as Gengar is legal in the format, every team will have a grounded poison anyway. It is very easy to fit Gengar, Moth, or Pex onto any team really, and even niche options such as Okidogi exist. Not even to mention that regen mons don't care as much anyway about poison, and between HDB and natural immunities, what really is there that truly minds?

However, hardly any of my opponents brought a TD mon, so I guess I need to play a little more and form a more educated opinion on the topic.

1700848062607.png

Pretty rough run, I was at like about 20 wins and 2 losses then started tripping hard. I switched betweem different ho teams (thanks qt for the team) but didn't actually face tdebris that much. Nearly all of the other aaatd people I faced were just using cat's double dragon dance screens team
Not sure what to vote
1700848845549.png

Last edited:

RoFnA

Vegan funktioniert ned
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Bild_2023-11-24_194440430.png

Voting ban on Toxic Debris. Even tho I agree what the Calculator said, I find TD very restricting in team building. TD is mostly seen on BO builds and can easily fit on any Tusk, Garganacl or basically any mon that resists U-turn. In my opinion you can just slap it on a mon and get great benefit from it without thinking too much about it.

aaatd.png

Funny team i used (:palafin-hero:)
Btw ban kommo

DNB on toxic debris. Its pressuring the teambuilder like all things are but theres a lot you can do to mitigate. Steels/flyings/magic guard/boots. If you have a poison its obviously a lot better. You can also naturally remove them though that takes time, defog :corviknight: gets them off of the field vs most mons. Many of these mons will naturally find their way onto teams, except for the admittedly small pool of good poisons (:iron moth: :gengar: :okidogi:)

Common users for reference: :great tusk: :garchomp: :ursaluna-bloodmoon: (:garganacl: < nobody really uses this)

I like how it rewards in battle play to break up flow of things. You cant just throw it into a stray u-turn and get rewards from that like people say. Thats a very free pivot to a poison and now youve essentially got no ability. Or to something like :zapdos: to reverse momentum. To get most value you have to switch into an attack you resist/wall and start using it to apply pressure. :Great Tusk: is the most common, and generally best example of this. (I like the niche of dragon tail :garchomp: spreading it onto something unexpected). There's still the big opportunity cost where the ability is neither defense boosting, nor damage amp. Great Tusk is the best as it can it still apply good pressure and check big attackers well enough, without an ability. Other options sacrifice something in some aspects. Tusk itself has proven to be largely manageable and even viewed as healthy. If you try to just throw it into a u-turn thats free :iron moth:, youre forced out, took chip, and are behind.

Other than that, i like how it gives you outs to things and applies healthy pressure on key targets. Getting :manaphy: poisoned is a big factor in limiting its effectiveness. Same goes for :ogerpon-cornerstone: :ogerpon-hearthflame: :azelf: :walking wake: :roaring moon: :great tusk: :kommo-o:, HO in general. Most of these are very effective and hard to punish "button clickers", where even if you survive their attacks they lose no hp in the process and can spam them while you are forced to click recovery moves. Even if they have a poison type, clever positioning via toxic debris can disincentivize them from coming in. At the same time you can still use your affected pokemon, they are on a timer but still function.

Take this replay from my AAAPL game (its 2ac but should still apply). In that game i have no answer for :Sandy Shocks:. I can switch around and survive, but nothing is stopping it from attacking over and over again. It can afford to get the turns wrong here. Carefully navigating my toxic debris gave me an out. At the same time it did not win the game for me. I had to force the scenario past the other wallbreakers pressuring me and defog :corviknight:. Even when i got the poison, the game still went on much longer and the :sandy shocks: got off many more attacks. I could have easily lost this one down to the last few turns. In this game the cost of running toxic debris was also shown, my Tusk was worse off against the :pawmot: and such.

I think the ability at its best really forces people to think about their teams and allows for a good deal of skill expression in battle. At the same time though it can very easily win vs unsuspecting teams and maybe that is constraining the metagame around a select pool of Pokemon. I can see it easily becoming too much in certain metagames but i think id want to let it around a bit more. I could just be off base and it simply is too constraining on the metagame/builder/etc. Its a very unique ability, unlike anything we've had before and it does have its positives imo. Im still a little on the fence and maybe this should just be banned lol

Screenshot_2023-11-27-23-23-16-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Team used: :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon::Enamorus-Therian::Glastrier::Gholdengo::Great Tusk::Manaphy:
QUICK CLAW HACK 英雄联盟 FASTEST KO HACK??? 闪光灯传送manaphy播放器AAA QUINTUPLE CLAW COMBO器 QUICK CLAW HACK 英雄联盟 FASTEST KO HACK??? 闪光灯传送manaphy播放器AAA QUINTUPLE CLAW COMBO器
Highlights:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9almostanyability-1998754868-4xj564ewfym0syf283sneitwqjo3cdgpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9almostanyability-1998759274-o78f0g9xjsc3h58ragwoa4ic7mtmllrpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9almostanyability-1998862661-2kx1up7eugsic1ehtk8gwmisq4eq7y4pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9almostanyability-1999620562-afctnw7rb35ipnrd2wz2iu78tsg4rfhpw

I will vote DNB because as others have said, there are enough counterplay with Poison types, Boots, Magic Guard, to name a few. I also really like its impact to limit mindless U-Turn, like I got punished several times for clicking with Manaphy, and most Toxic Debris users lacking recovery also balance it somewhat.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
1701122716401.png

accidentally posted this in om room, how embarrassing of me

used this, broken team. two of my losses were to matchup moth, one was a forfeit because i felt bad, and one was cause i misplayed myself into a coinflip and lost the coinflip. only bad mus are the volcs, rest is easily beatable with good play.

my vote should be obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)