Sun / Moon In-Game Tier List

From my experience with A-Geodude so far, it's been pretty good. It hits like a truck and takes even super effective hits well (its a Graveler right now). Despite having a Galvanize one, I've only tried Facade once (gotta get Return TM) and Self-Destruct hasn't even been touched. Thunder Punch has been dealing good damage and paralyzing Pokemon, definitely helps with captures. However, it often two-shots a lot of things when I wish it would one-shot them, probably just needs training.

So far, it's place makes sense, I'll report when I have more feedback.

I think Mankey and (maybe) Cutiefly could use drops to B tier. I love Cutiefly's design and it's amazing early game, but in the later stages of the game it gets to be too weak. A very front-loaded pokemon. Retained usefulness all the way through the game, but I think A tier might be a titch too high.

As for Mankey - I used both a Primeape and a Poliwrath for part of the game to compare them, and the Primeape wasn't really any better - I actually think Poli was the better of the two, at equivalent levels. Poli has more bulk and access to more coverage moves, as well as Hypnosis and Z-Rain Dance. Sure, Primeape's a bit faster, but I found it would faint way too often for my tastes. It's a pretty close thing though.

In my playthrough I found my most useful pokemon were Incineroar and Parasect (not joking) with Mismagius and Poliwrath close behind; Ribombee and Oricorio were a bit behind them, and in the back were Slowbro, Primeape and Leafeon. (I used Exp. share, but was cycling between a lot of pokemon, so they stayed at a pretty normal level)

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with the general sentiment towards the Magnemite line, but anybody thinking that it diminishes mid-game should teach it Rest/Charge Beam/Steel Attack and alternate between Double Team and Sleep Talk in fourth slot. Reflect/Light Screen also have their uses, while Protect helped me against Totem Lurantis.

[Disclaimer: have not used Salandit yet, so availability is as far as I'm going with this 'mon.]

Just a brief reminder: when getting female Salandit, one always has the option to make things easier by getting a male Cute Charm Pokémon.
No Pokémon on Melemele Island have the ability, but Igglybuff/Jigglypuff and Sylveon are obtainable on Akala Island before reaching Wela Volcano Park (technically Milotic, too, but...). Igglybuff itself is easier to find as a female, so I would suggest going with the Sylveon, which is more likely than not male. Regardless, a female Cute Charm user would still boost the chances of finding a female Salandit to a respectable 1/3 chance.

The easiest way to get a female Salandit is to catch a male Eevee, give it a rainbow bean and level it up once. *Poof* male Sylveon with cute charm. That's how I did it in my playhtrough and it worked like a charm.

Has nobody tried chaining Salandit instead? 1 in 8 is a decent chance. Getting a Pokemon with a 5% encounter rate seems like too much trouble when it comes to catching a female Pokemon with a 30% encounter rate. Why bother?

In my playthrough, I used a fairly wide range of mons because I was noncommittal. Here are a few thoughts:

There hasn't been any discussion of Diglett / Dugtrio yet. I think A tier is way too high. It definitely has strengths, but it was disappointing in the long run. I would say it is a better fit closer to C tier. (maybe lower? I can't speak to its endgame performance and I think it would come back around, but I don't have experiential knowledge)

- Diglett is available early on (capturable after completing the 1st trial) and comes with decent STAB in Metal Claw. I wanted to use one with Tangling Hair, and luckily it is easy to check its ability before catching it.
- Diglett's movepool never quite catches up to what you need. Early Magnitude is nice, but it is unreliable, and Diglett is too frail to tank any hits from a misfire. You'll be stuck with Metal Claw and Bulldoze for physical STAB until Dig at level 35. At this point, you will be a substantial way through the third island using weak attacks. They finally get Iron Head and EQ in the 40's, but that's after a long drought.
- Diglett and Dugtrio have amazing Speed stats, especially given the context of Alola. That's a huge benefit. Their Attack (55 and 100 respectively) is theoretically sufficient, but with their low BP STAB, you will fall short of KOs on many neutral or even SE hits.
- Their bulk is abysmal; truly a nightmare. This would not be a problem if they could KO targets, but they can't, so they die to anything pretty much. They have a nice set of resistances, but HP stats of 10 and 35 (seriously bad) mean you still get 2HKO'd.
- Despite their poor KO potential and absence of bulk, they do perform a niche role in a few Totem battles. Diglett will be OHKO'd in all 3 of the island 2 trials (lol), but against Lurantis you can lower its boosted speed with Tangling Hair. This gives the rest of your team a huge advantage. Vikavolt lacks even neutral attacks on your newly-evolved Dugtrio, and you can slow Mimikyu down too.
-I ditched Dugtrio towards the end of Island 3, but they could have potentially been useful in the Lusamine battles. Her Clefable is FAT (especially in the second fight), but quick Iron Heads could likely take it out before it becomes a major problem.

Dugtrio is effective in minor battles and can provide niche support roles in a few major battles. However, its terrible bulk and slow movepool make it underwhelming in most major battles, especially in the mid-game. I could imagine that it has a revival in the late game when it picks up Iron Head and Earthquake, but it was performing so poorly before then that I boxed it.

Vulpix / Ninetales are probably C tier mons as well.

- Vulpix comes in the mid-late game, just before the ghost trial.
- I cannot stress this enough: Vulpix is trash. Its stats are really awful contextually. To put it in perspective, it is caught at around the time you evolve your starter into its final stage, and its highest base stat rests at 65. Until it evolves, it is complete deadweight.
- Po Town is where things start turn around. This is about the point where Vulpix gets Ice Beam (finally! you can 2HKO mons weak to ice!). There is also the evolutionary stone here. When you evolve into Ninetales, you get Dazzling Gleam and fairy STAB, which is very beneficial. Similar to Dugtrio, Ninetales is really fast and has a decent offensive stat. It does well against mons weak to Ice or Fairy or with lower special defense, but it isn't stellar in more neutral matchups.
- It comes just in time to get SE STAB for the final two kahunas. Cool!
- Do not be overconfident in the final trial. I thought I could just Dazzling Gleam once to take care of Kommo-o. I was outsped and OHKO'd by Flash Cannon.
- In the last third or so of the game, Ninetales has good offensive typing and can contribute to many major and minor fights. In the E4, Ninetales has a favorable matchup against the fighting, flying, and ghost members. Sometimes it can't quite score an OHKO and it does not like sponging physical hits. It's really not that great in the champion battle.

Vulpix requires some babying when it's caught, but when it evolves it catches up to your team pretty quickly. It's very fast and has good STABs, but it can come up short at times. It helps in major battles, but more is demanded from mons who come late in the game and have such a terrible phase as Vulpix.

I used others and will write about those experiences eventually! I'll definitely write about Bruxish: speed + tough jaw + psychic fangs make it perform so well. E tier is not doing it justice.

Last edited:
Has nobody tried chaining Salandit instead? 1 in 8 is a decent chance. Getting a Pokemon with a 5% encounter rate seems like too much trouble when it comes to catching a female Pokemon with a 30% encounter rate. Why bother?
I chained for mine in my Moon run. It still took a while (not as long as Salamence though). I would say the fastest way would be to chain and have a Male Cute Charm poke as a lead on your team too. My female Salandit ended up with 4 perfect IVs (HP, SpA, SpD, Spe).

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
About getting Eevee for using in game or as a Cute Charm Pokemon, you can get an Eevee Egg from the Daycare for free.

People are real butthurt about Salandit. 1/8 is not a super low chance and salandit is quite common in the volcanic park where it's found. You could just continually search but also chaining makes it rather easy to find a female. I got one within the first 3 I found, I think, and Salazzle is one of the few fast offensive powerhouses in the game.

I relied on Diglett/Dugtrio a lot in my first Exp Share-less run. Tangling Hair is great support in trials where you lack the Pokemon to grab the OHKO, as well as later on in the game, and I didn't find Magnitude to be a liability at all. Its average power is 71, which is good for L14 when you first get it. You've got only a 25% chance to have a BP of under 70, and most of the time the outcome is still way better than a miss. While getting a poor roll can put Diglett into trouble, you can avoid putting him in situations where it's likely (fire-types where they're mutually effective) to occur. The other side of the coin is actually killing something you weren't meant to - that 5% to get 150 BP is also there.

Bulk may be underwhelming, especially as Diglett (Dugtrio gets a defence buff), but ground/steel is a fantastic typing, which we already know thanks to Excadrill. You can be safe when switching into lots of dangerous stuff. I also wish it'd learnt Iron Head a bit earlier than it did.

Yeah, I found Dugtrio very useful when I used it. You can't rely on it against things it can't KO quickly, but it can quickly KO a lot of things.

I'll have my opinions on the Pokemon I used fairly often in my playthrough:

Rowlet

Even though it mostly spent the game getting experience from the Exp. Share (mostly involuntary from my part, I admit), it did its part well.

IMO, Physical Rowlet is the best way to go because most of the good special TMs are post-game only, whereas you can eventually get moves like Swords Dance (why isn't Nasty Plot a TM, now that I wonder?), Sucker Punch and Spirit Shackle before completing Ula'Ula. It tends to lack room for Roost, however.

I think it takes a hit during that bad movepool drought between getting Razor Leaf and Pluck and getting Leaf Blade and Brave Bird (they come really late) so you may end up relying on non-STAB attacks until, at least, it gets Spirit Shackle.

Likely not the best starter to pick, though, given Popplio and Litten get better STAB combinations. Rowlet can still pull its weight, though.

Pikipek

Early-game Brick Break availability is a godsend, both for patching up the usual questionable early bird coverage (I mean, it only gets Bullet Seed when it becomes a Toucannon) and being much better than Rock Smash, which it may have got by the time you get the Brick Break TM.

Other than that... it does not really have anything special. It lacks a good Normal-type level-up move (the best it can get is Skill Link Fury Attack, which is weaker than Bullet Seed despite STAB) and it only learns Brave Bird as an egg move, but Beak Blast can compensate, being a reliable 100 BP STAB move, Toucannon being slow enough the low damage phase priority does not matter much, and helping burn clear threats that have contact moves.

Its usability drops down drastically after evolving into Toucannon, but it's not because Toucannon is slow and not that bulky... but rather because the Pikipek and Trumbeak phases are really good in comparison, getting good moves quickly, having access to some nice early-game TMs, evolving fast and hitting fairly hard at that spot. It starts like, say, an improved DPP Starly, but in the end it's not like DPP Staraptor. This also extends to match-ups - in Moon, Trumbeak OHKOes the Totem Raticate, while it also easily breaks through Hala and the Totem Lurantis, whereas after evolving into Toucannon, it gets no advantages in match-ups, and even struggles in the second match vs Hala, doing little more than spreading burns with Beak Blast... and for that, one would rather run Talonflame with Will-O-Wisp.

Wingull

While I boxed my Drizzle Pelipper after getting a Jangmo-o (this being my intention all along; Pelipper was a filler), I'll gladly tell anyone against such a decision.

After a very short rough start (the Trainers' School's Teacher's Magnemite, I mean), Wingull starts getting more and more cool toys to play with. The turning point is getting Scald, Roost and the Waterium Z and evolving into Pelipper, where it gets from 'alright' to 'OMG'. With those three things, Drizzle Pelipper gets through a lot of things with rain-boosted Scalds or Hydro Vortexes, whereas it gets an impressive only two bad match-ups in Hau's Raichu (which is still difficult to deal with for most Pokemon IMO) and the Totem Vikavolt.

It only gets cooler once it gets Hurricane (quite late, however) and U-Turn to deal some chip damage before switching out.

There really isn't much to say other than it's Hydration->Drizzle or nothing. It's a very straightforward Pokemon - click on a STAB, and watch things drop.

Oricorio (Pom-Pom)

I believe the viability of this specific Oricorio sort of depends on the Hidden Power type you get, since it gets practically nothing outside of Revelation Dance and Flying-type moves. Mine's Hidden Power was Grass-types, awfully convenient given Flying/Electric coverage's most common stops are weak to Grass.

It's a fairly ok mon anyways. Early Air Cutter is great, then it starts to disappoint until it shoots back with Air Slash and Revelation Dance, and then you get the unreliable yet powerful Hurricane.

You can also pull Baton Pass thanks to it being able to learn Work Up, but I think it doesn't have the room for both moves - late-game, at least.

Cubone

Alolan Marowak is the living example of a disappointment. Which is a shame, not because of its cool design or actual competitive uses, but because it starts fairly well as a Cubone. If you bother to get a Thick Club for it, you get a powerful physical attacker until it's time for it to evolve - which is generally late enough for it to OHKO the Totem Salazzle with Bonemerang.

But after it evolves... the inexplicable decision of having Alolan Marowak's signature move, Shadow Bone, be only learnable through the Move Relearner is absolutely terrible. Alolan Marowak is stuck with no STAB moves other than Flame Charge until it reaches Level 53 (Flare Blitz) you reach the top of Mount Lanakila... home of the Elite Four. Yeah, that late. It is also stuck with generally weak or inaccurate coverage moves in Rock Tomb or Bonemerang until late-game.

This mean it does not hit as remotely hard as you'd want it to hit even when factoring on the Thick Club boost. I admit, Lightning Rod Marowak can wall entire types on its own, and it makes the battles against Guzma look like a joke, but it does not pull much elsewhere until you can give it good STAB moves... where the game is almost over.

Salandit

Salazzle is another disappointment to me, but for a different set of reasons. It's not her rarity (A male Cute Charm Sylveon is fairly easy to get, and Eevees with a Fairy-type move are available a few routes before you first find wild Salandit), but rather because she does not deliver what she seems to deliver.

Salazzle has a nice STAB combination, solid offensive stats and access to Nasty Plot, but... she often falls short of OHKOes with her STABs, and her serious frailty means she almost never gets the chance to Nasty Plot against relevant opponents. A drought of coverage moves means Salazzle is deadweight against pretty much anything that is not weak to her STABs.

And talking about moves... she's stuck with Flame Burst for about twenty levels (and I may not be exaggerating) and her poison STAB move is even worse - you either have to rely on a Toxic+Venoshock combo, or wait until almost Level 40 to get Sludge Bomb.

In the end, I used her only against Pokemon weak to her STABs, or as a revenge killer. Salazzle's useless outside of that.

Jangmo-o

Fine, I understand that lore states that Jangmo-o's line is only found in mountains... but Alola has a lot of mountains - why is Jangmo-o a rare very late game encounter? I mean, Mount Hokulani could have been a good place for them to start showing up...

This means a few things:
- Jangmo-o is obtained when all its good match-ups have passed. You only have the Totem Kommo-o, the second Lusamine battle and the Elite Four to fight, and it can only really pull its weight against Lusamine (not against Clefable, of course) and the Totem Kommo-o (only if Soundproof, and you'll have to grind a lot if you want to use it for that battle).
- By the time you get it, Jangmo-o is only two-five levels away from evolving into Kommo-o. This does not really matter much for usefulness, but it's more of the complaint about it being a late-game rare Pokemon.

Kommo-o's good stats, fine movepool (although Dragon Dance is a late level-up move, so you are stuck with Swords Dance) and three abilities that provide immunities are mostly wasted by being too late to showcase them.

Last edited:
Wingull seems a tad high, considering one of its biggest selling points - Drizzle Hurricane - doesn't become available until the move relearner or level 55

I'll have my opinions on the Pokemon I used fairly often in my playthrough:

Rowlet

Even though it mostly spent the game getting experience from the Exp. Share (mostly involuntary from my part, I admit), it did its part well.

IMO, Physical Rowlet is the best way to go because most of the good special TMs are post-game only, whereas you can eventually get moves like Swords Dance (why isn't Nasty Plot a TM, now that I wonder?), Sucker Punch and Spirit Shackle before completing Ula'Ula. It tends to lack room for Roost, however.

I think it takes a hit during that bad movepool drought between getting Razor Leaf and Pluck and getting Leaf Blade and Brave Bird (they come really late) so you may end up relying on non-STAB attacks until, at least, it gets Spirit Shackle.

Likely not the best starter to pick, though, given Popplio and Litten get better STAB combinations. Rowlet can still pull its weight, though.
It gets access to Grass Pledge in Hau'oli City, around when it's Level 17 or so. An 80 BP STAB.

Wingull seems a tad high, considering one of its biggest selling points - Drizzle Hurricane - doesn't become available until the move relearner or level 55
Its main selling point ingame is STAB Scald w/rain boost.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually one Bug that IOS brought up to possibly rise is Pinsir.

Though it is awkward at times, Pinsir is one of the stronger, if not strongest, Bug-types you can get without having to do anything extreme such as babying for 10 levels (Golisopod), dealing with poor Speed (Parasect), or questionable contributions (Araquanid). Pinsir has access to early STAB Leech Life with a plethora of Fighting-type moves. This, combined with Bulldoze and Rock Tomb, are also great to have on hand.

Poppolio will also rise. As for Salandit, I'm not opposed to B but want to remind people that Sludge Bomb is available at Guzma's HQ.

I'll look at the Bug-types atm.

Also one last thing: while I may agree with Mankey dropping, I never really felt lategame that Ribombee was useless. It's so good it OHKOed Dragon totem :(

I'm gonna back up Ribombee pulling its weight lategame.

It has acceptable power, a typing that lets it one-shot the Dragon totem (add and all!) and sweeping potential with Calm Mind/Quiver Dance. And it outruns everything.

There were times when its power was a bit iffy late in the game and the fight I was going into wasn't going to be drawn-out enough to warrant setting up... but while it does dwindle to an extent it hardly gets to be useless.

Thanks for taking my posts into account - I just want to say that I'm not exaggerating Parasect's usefulness. The speed is irritating but in a lot of fights I would be regenerating as much HP with each hit as my opponent dealt to me. It absolutely trashes Nanu, a lot of Team Skull, Faba, Hau (depending on starter choice - I picked Litten, so Parasect stomped him, but he'll pack a fire type if you choose one of the other starters), and Hapu. And just devouring the nearest wild pokemon whenever you need HP is fun!

Also great to have against Lusamine, here's the rundown of my second Lusamine battle:

She leads Clefable, I lead Parasect. She hits with me with Moonblast (about 1/3 of Para's health), and gets spore'd. I hit her with a few Giga Drains, but end up switching (Clefable's crazy defence after waking up and using Cosmic Power meant I wasn't healing enough, so I probably would have lost). Vikavolt Flash Cannon finishes.

Mismagius comes in, I keep Parasect out of that one (Power Gem) and take it out with Incineroar. She brings in Milotic.

I switch in Parasect, and net some healing with Dry Skin. Milotic proceeds to spam flail like a moron while I get 4 Growth boosts, then smack her down with Giga Drain. Full HP.

She brings in Bewear, hits for some pretty nasty damage with Double-Edge, then gets taken down with a Giga Drain (after recoil and 4 Growths it only took one). Parasect is at like 85% now, and I haven't used a single item.

She brings in Lilligant, hits for about 25% with Petal Dance, and then watches Lilligant get swallowed whole by Parasect's Leech Life.

That's the last three pokemon of one of the game's hardest foes, without needing to use a single item, and with Parasect coming out of it a max HP. Could Pinsir do that?

As for Ribombee, I took another look at mine and found it had a Sp. Atk penalizing nature, which might have coloured my perception. Even with the bad nature I was less sure about dropping Ribombee than Mankey, I did find it quite useful, it just fell behind the rest of my team in terms of power.

i was wondering, is shell smash Minior good in game. the fact that you become extremely vulnerable and perhaps you survive at more than 50 percent if you use acrobatiscs, but if you use Z you lose your best move. i used Charge Beam mixed set thinking it was more consistent but then i put minior im the box for a while and in the League it was underleveled and turned out to be my most useless pokemon there.

I didn't use Minior except for a little while after I first got it - I didn't think much of it but I didn't really use it enough to make an educated opinion.

Last edited:
Dry Skin was what allowed the setup - Flail wasn't poor AI move picking, it was the only move Milotic had that would do anything at all to Parasect. Most Grass types would still be taking decent amounts of damage from Hydro Pump, Milotic is pretty darn strong. And Butterfree would actually have trouble setting up against Lilligant - Lilligant is immune to Sleep Powder, but Butterfree isn't immune to Leech Seed and Stun Spore!

I do agree that Butterfree could outperform in a lot of scenarios - but bear in mind, I'm not trying to put Parasect in S tier or anything. I know it has flaws, and performs quite poorly against the Elite Four. I just think D is too low, it dominated most mid and late-game enemies until the Pokemon League, and was really easy to keep healthy through long stretches of battling. B possibly, more likely C.

If anybody else wants to roll with a Paras next playthrough to get a second voice on the issue that would be great.

Last edited:
My feelings on Dartrix: it's not bad, it's decent, but I'm not crazy about it. I don't remember the last time I felt the need to use it in an important battle. Totem Wishiwashi I think? And I just cleared Totem Mimikyu. Been stuck with Razor Leaf and Pluck and nothing for what feels like forever. I hope Decidueye pulls through.

Edit: I just caught a Modest Drizzle Pelipper in Tapu Village and I'm tempted to use it...

Last edited:
This is really minor but we should probably tier Gengar (No Trade) and Politoed (No Trade) (a bit hesitant on this one) separately because they play differently from their counterparts with trade. And AFAIK these are the only trade evolutions you can get by SOS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)