SS OU SubToxic Lanturn Hazard Stack

Lanturn is a mon who I wanted to test with for a while now, with high HP but poor defenses. It has a great ability with Volt Absorb, where it gets an immunity to electric type attacks, which is extremely useful in this meta. Something that inspired me to make this team was one of Lanturn's sets in DPP, Sub Charge Beam. In this team, I attempt to recreate this where Soak, Toxic, and Charge Beam wittle down defensive walls with Spikes and Stealth Rocks on the team.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 168 HP / 84 Def / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Soak
- Toxic
- Charge Beam

The star of the team, Lanturn, acts as a wall to many mons in the meta, and proceeds to Substitute and Toxic on the opponent's team. Soak is to catch mons such as Ferrothorn or Glowking, so they could be poisoned for later in the battle. Charge Beam is used over Thunderbolt to prevent the opponent to endlessly switch between mons, and punishes them by Lanturn chipping the opponent and getting Special Attack raises. The EV spread ensures that it's Substitute does not get broken by a lot of weak moves. Speed EVs are to speed creep Corviknight. Below is a list of what moves from what mons cannot break a Lanturn substitute, that which Lanturn can set up on.

Clefable: Moonblast, Knock Off
Ferrothorn: Knock Off (Body Press DOES break Sub)
Tapu Fini: Moonblast, Knock Off
Torn-T: Hurricane, Knock Off, U-turn
Zapdos: Hurricane, Weather Ball (rain)
Tapu Koko: Dazzling Gleam, U-turn
Toxapex: Knock Off
Rotom-W: Hydro Pump
Regieleki: Ancient Power, Swift, Extreme Speed
Blissey: Seismic Toss

Glowking: POTENTIONALLY Sludge Bomb, 68.8% chance to break Sub

Lanturn's HP should be reserved as much as possible to annoy the opponent's team, but can be used as emergency switch ins to mons such as Dragapult, Blacephalon, and Volcanion as a last resort.

With the first mon chosen, I needed a mon who appreciated Toxic's from Lanturn. With this I chose Tornadus-T.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Torn-T is a fairly bulky mon who synergizes with Lanturn a lot, with Torn-T tanking Grass and Ground types that Lanturn is weak to, and Lanturn tanking Ice and Electric types that Torn-T is weak to. Furthermore, Lanturn poisons mons that Torn-T appreciates late game, and Torn-T knocks off Heavy-Duty Boots which makes switching between Lanturn a hassle. Taunt is chosen to prevent certain mons from healing or Defogging hazards away. U-turn is chose over another special move to switch in Lanturn safe if the opponent switches out to Zapdos, Slowking, Blissey, etc. EV spread is more bulky, to pivot in attacks multiple times in the match.

For a hazard stack team, I needed a Spiker, and since Lanturn and Torn-T are both neutral to Rock, Ferrothorn made a great choice.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Body Press

As mentioned before, Ferrothorn chips down the opponent's team with Iron Barbs, Spikes, Leech Seed, and Knock Off. It acts as the main switch in to Weavile, and annoys a lot of other physical attackers. Knock Off is to remove Heavy-Duty Boots similar to what Torn-T does, and Body Press is a high damage move that chips mons such as Tyranitar and opposing Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn's HP must be kept at a good amount the entire game, as it can get chipped down easily.

I was happy with how the first three mons synergized, so I decided to get myself a Defogger, and I felt like Corviknight was the best choice.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 19 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Corviknight acts as a Lele check, while switching into Knock Off from Kartana and Rillaboom which Ferrothorn and Tornadus-T do not appreciate. U-turn is used to pivot from common switch ins, such as Heatran and Zapdos. Brave Bird is used over Body Press to give consistant high power damage to the likes of Dragapult and Rillaboom. The speed IVs are just to underspeed opposing Corviknight.

With Ferrothorn and Corviknight being both weak to Fire, I decided that Heatran was a perfect resist.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Heatran acts as a trapper for mons who are already poisoned, a great Pult, Blaceph, and Lele switch in, and the team's Stealth Rocker. Taunt is used to deny recovery from defensive mons who switch in on a Magma Storm, and can prevent Defog in a pinch. The speed EVS are to outspeed 252 Speed Modest/Bold Magnezone, to ensure Heatran does not get chipped by Body Press.

For the last mon, I needed a Ghost and Dark Resist, but I also needed a cleaner due to how passive the team is. Hydregion was the perfect choice.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 208 SpA / 48 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

Hydreigon acts as a Heatran, Volcanion, and Blacephelon switch in, and as a cleaner for the team with Nasty Plot. The given EV spread tanks two Overheats from Specs Blaceph, allowing Hydreigon to roost on it. Nasty Plot and Roost increases Hydregion's attacking power while giving it longevity respectively. Dark Pulse is a solid STAB move Hydreigon can use, while Earth Power hits mons such as Heatran and Volcanion for major chip.

And with that, the team is done, BUT I know it can use some tinkering around.

PROBLEMS

The two main problems of the team are that it has no physical attackers, so it has to rely on Lanturn stalling and Taunt from both Torn-T and Heatran; and the fact that it has no speed control, with Torn-T being the fastest mon, with Hydreigon being the second fastest.

Besides the general, certain mons threaten this team a lot.

Zeraora can easily overwhelm this team, with Ferrothorn as it's main check. However, Ferrothorn gets chipped down by Close Combat, meaning it can switch in to Zeraora only so many times. After Ferrothorn is gone, not much can be done.

Choice Band Tyranitar is also a huge problem for the team, with Ferrothorn being the main switch in once again. Tyranitar chips down Ferrothorn very easily, meaning that its Stone Edge can massacre this team once Ferrothorn is gone.

Blaziken is a mon that once it sets up, it can sweep this team easily. The best way to beat Blaziken on this team is to damage it as much as possible before it sets up a Swords Dance, whether that would be by Toxic, Body Press, etc.

Sun gives this team a poor match up, where Venusaur can sweep this team a few Growths. Hydreigon is your best bet on chipping Venusaur down, but Venusaur can easily set up on Hydreigon with Growth and Giga Drain/Weather Ball.

That's it for this team, I welcome any feedback on mons to switch out or sets to change, as it can help this team to be better. Thank you for reading!

Here is the paste if anyone wants to test this out: https://pokepast.es/62f07ac4a1b9f069

Last edited:
The first major problem i notice in this team is its heavy :urshifu-rapid-strike: Urshifu-Rapid-Strike :urshifu-rapid-strike:
weakness. Choice Band Urshifu’s main problem is how Surging Strikes results in alot of chip from Ferrothorn or your Rocky Helmet Corviknight. However, there is absolutely no reason to ever click Surging Strikes while fighting this team, because Close Combat is able to obliterate all these mons. Tornadus-Therian is the only mon that can barely deal with it, however it has huge trouble switching in. Your only slow pivot to bring Tornadus in is Corviknight, which will die to 2 CCs before it can U-turn (one on switch-in, one while corv tries to U-Turn).
:tornadus-therian:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 92 Def Tornadus-Therian: 158-186 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO

:lanturn:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 168 HP / 84 Def Lanturn: 400-472 (92.3 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 168 HP / 84 Def Lanturn: 400-472 (92.3 - 109%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike U-turn vs. 168 HP / 84 Def Lanturn: 156-184 (36 - 42.4%) -- 93.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (breaks sub)

:ferrothorn:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 350-414 (99.4 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 350-414 (99.4 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

:corviknight:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 220-259 (55 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (can’t switch in corv as it’ll die next turn)

:heatran:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 560-660 (145 - 170.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:hydreigon:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 644-758 (198.1 - 233.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Major Changes
:corviknight: -> :slowbro: :heavy-duty-boots: / :colbur-berry:
:sm/slowbro:
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Slowbro functions as an excellent pivot for this team. It helps to completely counter Urshifu-Rapid-Strike and other physical attackers.
With teleport, it can safely switch in other mons. Scald burns are always helpful and Future Sight breaks holes in the opponents teams and forces some dark types to switch-in.
However, removing Corviknight for Slowbro results in a worse matchup against Dragapult and Weavile, which i’ll try to patch up in the minor changes. Colbur Berry + Body Press Slowbro is also a viable option for killing Weavile.

:tornadus-therian: -> :zapdos-galar: :choice-scarf:
Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Thunderous Kick/Throat Chop
- U-turn

Here we have a slightly unconventional mon, Choice Scarf Zapdos-Galar. CB Zapdos-Galar is much stronger, but here we’re running scarf to help with speed control. Scarf Gapdos can surprise opponents by outspeeding and killing stuff like Weavile. On hazardstack teams, Gapdos is excellent as it prevents the opponent from using defog in fear that they’ll trigger Gapdos’s Defiant. Gapdos appreciates hazards on the opponent’s side to help it secure some OHKOs. Slowbro’s Future Sight either kills mons when combined with Zapdos’s power or forces Dark type mons to come in, which get destroyed by Gapdos. Slowbro can also safely Teleport into Gapdos, while Gapdos can get chip off with U-turn and come right back into Slowbro. Lanturn lures Landorus-Therian to try and block its volt switch, so Gapdos also acts as a switch in if you predict an incoming Landorus-Therian, as you gain a free 1.5x atk boost from its Intimidate and can wreck holes in the opposing team. Lanturn can chip down mons with its Toxic, allowing Gapdos to go for Thunderous Kick which lacks recoil. Thunderous Kick is also used to break down stuff like Corviknight. I’ve also mentioned throat chop if you want to outspeed and kill Dragapult. Gapdos hates getting chipped down by hazards itself however, and even more hates recoil from Brave Bird, so try to play carefully.

Minor Changes
-Charge Beam -> Volt Switch
I see what you said about Charge Beam punishing switches. However, the issue is that Charge Beam has low power and only 16 pp, which is not too great for a bulky mon. Volt Switch after a soak can still do good damage while also helping to pivot around. Volt Switch also has 32 pp.

- Body Press -> Thunder Wave
Thunder wave is useful to cripple mons like Dragapult or Weavile, which helps Hydreigon clean lategame. TWave also helps cripple walls by giving them a chance to do nothing on a turn. Body Press here is used for killing the opponents ferro, but i think here that once you knock off the opposing ferrothorns’s leftovers and then paralyze it, it cant really be threatening anymore, especially because Zapdos-Galar kills it anyways.

- Nasty Plot -> Flash Cannon/Defog
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def / 252 Speed+
Flash Cannon helps deals with Fairies which the rest of the team cant deal with. To compensate for the loss of Nasty Plot, the spdef evs are dropped into Sp.Atk. Specs Blacephalon can easily be understood as soon as it takes damage from stealth rocks. After it decides to lock itself into Overheat or Shadow Ball, you can go into Slowbro or Hydreigon accordingly.
Defog is also a viable choice as i’ve removed Corviknight who was the defogger.

EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
This change was made just to help deal with Dragapult. The Speed EVs are for outspeeding some Magnezone sets.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/15fee8c43ebfb43d

The first major problem i notice in this team is its heavy :urshifu-rapid-strike: Urshifu-Rapid-Strike :urshifu-rapid-strike:
weakness. Choice Band Urshifu’s main problem is how Surging Strikes results in alot of chip from Ferrothorn or your Rocky Helmet Corviknight. However, there is absolutely no reason to ever click Surging Strikes while fighting this team, because Close Combat is able to obliterate all these mons. Tornadus-Therian is the only mon that can barely deal with it, however it has huge trouble switching in. Your only slow pivot to bring Tornadus in is Corviknight, which will die to 2 CCs before it can U-turn (one on switch-in, one while corv tries to U-Turn).
:tornadus-therian:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 92 Def Tornadus-Therian: 158-186 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 168 HP / 84 Def Lanturn: 400-472 (92.3 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 168 HP / 84 Def Lanturn: 400-472 (92.3 - 109%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike U-turn vs. 168 HP / 84 Def Lanturn: 156-184 (36 - 42.4%) -- 93.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (breaks sub)

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 350-414 (99.4 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 350-414 (99.4 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

:corviknight:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 220-259 (55 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (can’t switch in corv as it’ll die next turn)

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 560-660 (145 - 170.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 644-758 (198.1 - 233.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Major Changes
:corviknight: -> :slowbro: :heavy-duty-boots: / :colbur-berry:
:sm/slowbro:
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Slowbro functions as an excellent pivot for this team. It helps to completely counter Urshifu-Rapid-Strike and other physical attackers.
With teleport, it can safely switch in other mons. Scald burns are always helpful and Future Sight breaks holes in the opponents teams and forces some dark types to switch-in.
However, removing Corviknight for Slowbro results in a worse matchup against Dragapult and Weavile, which i’ll try to patch up in the minor changes. Colbur Berry + Body Press Slowbro is also a viable option for killing Weavile.

:tornadus-therian: -> :zapdos-galar: :choice-scarf:
Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Thunderous Kick/Throat Chop
- U-turn

Here we have a slightly unconventional mon, Choice Scarf Zapdos-Galar. CB Zapdos-Galar is much stronger, but here we’re running scarf to help with speed control. Scarf Gapdos can surprise opponents by outspeeding and killing stuff like Weavile. On hazardstack teams, Gapdos is excellent as it prevents the opponent from using defog in fear that they’ll trigger Gapdos’s Defiant. Gapdos appreciates hazards on the opponent’s side to help it secure some OHKOs. Slowbro’s Future Sight either kills mons when combined with Zapdos’s power or forces Dark type mons to come in, which get destroyed by Gapdos. Slowbro can also safely Teleport into Gapdos, while Gapdos can get chip off with U-turn and come right back into Slowbro. Lanturn lures Landorus-Therian to try and block its volt switch, so Gapdos also acts as a switch in if you predict an incoming Landorus-Therian, as you gain a free 1.5x atk boost from its Intimidate and can wreck holes in the opposing team. Lanturn can chip down mons with its Toxic, allowing Gapdos to go for Thunderous Kick which lacks recoil. Thunderous Kick is also used to break down stuff like Corviknight. I’ve also mentioned throat chop if you want to outspeed and kill Dragapult. Gapdos hates getting chipped down by hazards itself however, and even more hates recoil from Brave Bird, so try to play carefully.

Minor Changes
-Charge Beam -> Volt Switch
I see what you said about Charge Beam punishing switches. However, the issue is that Charge Beam has low power and only 16 pp, which is not too great for a bulky mon. Volt Switch after a soak can still do good damage while also helping to pivot around. Volt Switch also has 32 pp.

- Body Press -> Thunder Wave
Thunder wave is useful to cripple mons like Dragapult or Weavile, which helps Hydreigon clean lategame. TWave also helps cripple walls by giving them a chance to do nothing on a turn. Body Press here is used for killing the opponents ferro, but i think here that once you knock off the opposing ferrothorns’s leftovers and then paralyze it, it cant really be threatening anymore, especially because Zapdos-Galar kills it anyways.

- Nasty Plot -> Flash Cannon/Defog
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def / 252 Speed+
Flash Cannon helps deals with Fairies which the rest of the team cant deal with. To compensate for the loss of Nasty Plot, the spdef evs are dropped into Sp.Atk. Specs Blacephalon can easily be understood as soon as it takes damage from stealth rocks. After it decides to lock itself into Overheat or Shadow Ball, you can go into Slowbro or Hydreigon accordingly.
Defog is also a viable choice as i’ve removed Corviknight who was the defogger.

EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
This change was made just to help deal with Dragapult. The Speed EVs are for outspeeding some Magnezone sets.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/15fee8c43ebfb43d
Thank you so much, I appreciate the feedback. I actually was going to put Urshifu-R as a threat but I forgot to, so thank you for pointing that out!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hello dunderguy,

Thank you for posting this Lanturn is a very niche Pokémon that has a place in the SS OU metagame.

From the top, I just want to reiterate what XavierTheCoolDudeX said about Urshifu-Rapid-Strike tearing through this team pretty easily and I recommend that once Tornadus-Therian is the only Pokemon that has some resistance to it. Based on how common Urshifu-Rapid-Strike is, I highly recommend that this issue gets remediated.

I could also see Blissey giving you problems (Most of your attackers ARE special attackers) once Ferrothorn goes down, which would be really important to keep alive which might be out of your control if you do not have shed shell for Magnezone. Aside from the threat list you have I think we should definitely highlight Zeraora and Blaziken and Sunny Day teams (Venasaur).

So I'll go from top to bottom in terms of recommendations:

Lanturn I like the set a lot, I can see how it works but I thoroughly believe Charge beam as the only attacking move will never be able to commit a fully sweep (Especially just based on the speed of Lanturn). I recommend as a minor change to go from Charge Beam to > Thunderbolt. Volt switch wouldn't work as well because it wouldn't benefit having substitute, you would automatically switch out. Thunderbolt will work well with Soak so it being the only move can work well in my eyes, especially as a Toxi-Stall.

Tornadus-Therian is good as being a good team mate to Lanturn but in my eyes It doesn't help the issue with Urshifu, Blaziken (Thunder Punch), and Venasuar will still provide too much damage to handle. Ferrothorn having Knock off means knock off isn't as important for the Toxi-Stall sense since it's not the only Pokemon with knock off. Taunt is the only thing here I see it assisting with a lot aside from having another pivoter on the team.

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian in Sun: 213-251 (58.8 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With one setup with growth, it's getting OHKO'd and the rest of your team has no answer. My suggestion to taking care of this Venusaur problem and assisting a little more with Blaziken and Urshifu-Rapid-Strike problem is having Dragonite. Dragonite's ability with Multi-Scale (Heavy Duty Boots) takes this much damage from Weather Ball:

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite in Sun: 49-57 (12.6 - 14.7%)
1664406604482.png

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 56 Def / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake / Ice Punch
- Roost

Here's some damage calculations of what some un-boosted moves can do to the threats I listed above

52+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Venusaur: 300-352 (99.6 - 116.9%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
52+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 256-304 (75 - 89.1%) -- approx. 2HKO
52+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Blaziken: 340-408 (112.9 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah so obviously very good results because the only thing you have to do is switch in (free switch in) and revenge kill. This set also allows you to have another potential late game sweeper on deck. Earthquake would be helpful for things resistant to Dual Wingbeat such as Heatran and other metal types, Earthquake provides great coverage. Ice Punch is an option for Dragon types / Lando.

Small change: I like Ferrothorn a lot on these team, it provides a lot of resistance to things that threaten Lanturn in terms of coverage and I think it should stay on the team. As stated above I think Rocky Helmet would be better to giving Weavile / Urshifu even more problem as well as being a hassle for other Pokemons with contact moves.

Another change would be giving Stealth Rock responsibility to Ferrothorn and giving Heatran an extra move slot for something like Toxic so you can really abuse Magma Storm. I don't think Spikes aren't extremely important on this team because this isn't a real stall team.

Now I was thinking for a while about this because I did like the Slowbro recommendation from above but I do have to say it worsens the Shadow Ball problem that I see especially with Blacephelon if Hydreigon dies in any case. So my opinion is instead of Corviknight which I like a lot because of the bulk and defogging ability you get with Landorus-Therian but you also get the resistance to anyone trying to throw Close Combat (Fighting moves).

1664409194694.png

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Rock Slide
- Toxic / Swords Dance

So with Landorus you get the pivoting ability that Corviknight is giving you, and the immense capability of having Defog. With this set it provides solid bulk and the ability to intimidate any physical attacker that does not have Defiant. This set I don't mind the Status instiller / Pivoter option to pass a long toxic and wear this team down. If you feel like Ferrothorn should have spikes, you also have the option of Stealth Rock. If you feel like you need more of a bulky sweeper role you do have the option for SD + Rock Slide. Long story short Landorus-Therian is extremely versatile and there's a lot of things you can do with this set.

For Heatran I would take the recommendations of having a special defensive EV spread to take Shadow Balls from Dragapult and Blacephelon

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 154-183 (39.8 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 115-136 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

So the (EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe Calm Nature) would be a recommendation from me. I would also say Toxic > Stealth rock to assist with the whole Toxistall theme of having Magma Storm being a nuisance.

Lastly I like Hydreigon a lot for how it handles Blacephalon the only thing I don't like about the current set is the speed I do think that Hydreigon is most beneficial as a choice user in this case having Choice Scarf to have to checks from a speed perspective.

1664410233702.png

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast / Flash Cannon

486 speed allows you to outspeed a lot of things in the Metagame, it allows you to have a solid revenge killer, if you want more power you can switch to a modest set which will still allow you to have 442 speed which will still allow you to outspeed Zeraora. Flash cannon is an option to take care of fairies, everything else is standard.

Anyway, this took me a bit to write up so I hope it's helpful in the tiniest sense, best of luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Yo Brother, love the concept, but just from briefly looking over the mons, the team is very weak to be ghosts. Spdef Tran is kind of a check to dragapult but can get easily worn down, but I think the main concern is Blacephalon, especially scarf because you have no speed control, if Heatran and Hydreigon get weakened only a bit, the team is going to drop to shadow ball + beastboost. Other than that and the urshifu weakness which peeps have already mentioned, cool team!!

Hello dunderguy,

Thank you for posting this Lanturn is a very niche Pokémon that has a place in the SS OU metagame.

From the top, I just want to reiterate what XavierTheCoolDudeX said about Urshifu-Rapid-Strike tearing through this team pretty easily and I recommend that once Tornadus-Therian is the only Pokemon that has some resistance to it. Based on how common Urshifu-Rapid-Strike is, I highly recommend that this issue gets remediated.

I could also see Blissey giving you problems (Most of your attackers ARE special attackers) once Ferrothorn goes down, which would be really important to keep alive which might be out of your control if you do not have shed shell for Magnezone. Aside from the threat list you have I think we should definitely highlight Zeraora and Blaziken and Sunny Day teams (Venasaur).

So I'll go from top to bottom in terms of recommendations:

Lanturn I like the set a lot, I can see how it works but I thoroughly believe Charge beam as the only attacking move will never be able to commit a fully sweep (Especially just based on the speed of Lanturn). I recommend as a minor change to go from Charge Beam to > Thunderbolt. Volt switch wouldn't work as well because it wouldn't benefit having substitute, you would automatically switch out. Thunderbolt will work well with Soak so it being the only move can work well in my eyes, especially as a Toxi-Stall.

Tornadus-Therian is good as being a good team mate to Lanturn but in my eyes It doesn't help the issue with Urshifu, Blaziken (Thunder Punch), and Venasuar will still provide too much damage to handle. Ferrothorn having Knock off means knock off isn't as important for the Toxi-Stall sense since it's not the only Pokemon with knock off. Taunt is the only thing here I see it assisting with a lot aside from having another pivoter on the team.

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian in Sun: 213-251 (58.8 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With one setup with growth, it's getting OHKO'd and the rest of your team has no answer. My suggestion to taking care of this Venusaur problem and assisting a little more with Blaziken and Urshifu-Rapid-Strike problem is having Dragonite. Dragonite's ability with Multi-Scale (Heavy Duty Boots) takes this much damage from Weather Ball:

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite in Sun: 49-57 (12.6 - 14.7%)
View attachment 455637
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 56 Def / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake / Ice Punch
- Roost

Here's some damage calculations of what some un-boosted moves can do to the threats I listed above

52+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Venusaur: 300-352 (99.6 - 116.9%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
52+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 256-304 (75 - 89.1%) -- approx. 2HKO
52+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Blaziken: 340-408 (112.9 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah so obviously very good results because the only thing you have to do is switch in (free switch in) and revenge kill. This set also allows you to have another potential late game sweeper on deck. Earthquake would be helpful for things resistant to Dual Wingbeat such as Heatran and other metal types, Earthquake provides great coverage. Ice Punch is an option for Dragon types / Lando.

Small change: I like Ferrothorn a lot on these team, it provides a lot of resistance to things that threaten Lanturn in terms of coverage and I think it should stay on the team. As stated above I think Rocky Helmet would be better to giving Weavile / Urshifu even more problem as well as being a hassle for other Pokemons with contact moves.

Another change would be giving Stealth Rock responsibility to Ferrothorn and giving Heatran an extra move slot for something like Toxic so you can really abuse Magma Storm. I don't think Spikes aren't extremely important on this team because this isn't a real stall team.

Now I was thinking for a while about this because I did like the Slowbro recommendation from above but I do have to say it worsens the Shadow Ball problem that I see especially with Blacephelon if Hydreigon dies in any case. So my opinion is instead of Corviknight which I like a lot because of the bulk and defogging ability you get with Landorus-Therian but you also get the resistance to anyone trying to throw Close Combat (Fighting moves).

View attachment 455650
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Rock Slide
- Toxic / Swords Dance

So with Landorus you get the pivoting ability that Corviknight is giving you, and the immense capability of having Defog. With this set it provides solid bulk and the ability to intimidate any physical attacker that does not have Defiant. This set I don't mind the Status instiller / Pivoter option to pass a long toxic and wear this team down. If you feel like Ferrothorn should have spikes, you also have the option of Stealth Rock. If you feel like you need more of a bulky sweeper role you do have the option for SD + Rock Slide. Long story short Landorus-Therian is extremely versatile and there's a lot of things you can do with this set.

For Heatran I would take the recommendations of having a special defensive EV spread to take Shadow Balls from Dragapult and Blacephelon

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 154-183 (39.8 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 115-136 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

So the (EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe Calm Nature) would be a recommendation from me. I would also say Toxic > Stealth rock to assist with the whole Toxistall theme of having Magma Storm being a nuisance.

Lastly I like Hydreigon a lot for how it handles Blacephalon the only thing I don't like about the current set is the speed I do think that Hydreigon is most beneficial as a choice user in this case having Choice Scarf to have to checks from a speed perspective.

View attachment 455653
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast / Flash Cannon

486 speed allows you to outspeed a lot of things in the Metagame, it allows you to have a solid revenge killer, if you want more power you can switch to a modest set which will still allow you to have 442 speed which will still allow you to outspeed Zeraora. Flash cannon is an option to take care of fairies, everything else is standard.

Anyway, this took me a bit to write up so I hope it's helpful in the tiniest sense, best of luck and have fun!
Thank you so much! All of this is really helpful and I will be sure to try these changes out as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)