move 4: Earth Power / Energy Ball
item: Life Orb
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
-Paleo Wave is Stratagem's most reliable option for Rock STAB on Levitate sets, OHKOing threats like Aurumoth, Syclant, Volkraken, Kyurem-Black, Mega Charizard X, Mega Pinsir, Pelipper, Tornadus-T, Victini, and Volcarona. After Stealth Rock, it will OHKO physically defensive Pyroak.
-Fire Blast is an option more powerful against Steel and Grass-types than the aforementioned, OHKOing Cawmodore, Kitsunoh after Stealth Rock, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Mega Mawile, Mega Scizor, and Kartana. It also 2HKOs Amoonguss, Celesteela, Jirachi, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu. Flamethrower can be used for greater accuracy, but misses out on the guaranteed OHKO on Kitsunoh as well as multiple guaranteed 2HKOs.
-Hidden Power Ice is the main draw for using Technician sets, as it allows Stratagem to guarantee OHKOs on Zygarde, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and even Hawlucha. In addition, it is Stratagem's most powerful option against Pajantom and Tomohawk, dealing over 70% damage on both, as well as Latias and Latios.
-Earth Power guarantees an OHKO on Mega Crucibelle, Plasmanta, most Heatran, Mega Mawile, and Tapu Koko. After Stealth Rock, it will OHKO Mollux, specially defensive Heatran, and physical Naviathan. This is Stratagem's most powerful option against Toxapex.
-Energy Ball is for bulky Water-types, dealing fair damage to Arghonaut, Mega Gyarados, Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Tapu Fini. It can also OHKO Mega Swampert and Gastrodon.

Set Details
========
-Maximum Speed investment with Timid is necessary; without this, Stratagem loses against several key targets. It loses its Speed tie with Tapu Koko, gets outsped by Greninja, Tornadus-T, and Syclant, and ends up in a Speed tie with Mega Crucibelle.
-252 Special Attack EVs allow for maximum damage output
-Life Orb is the item of choice because it provides Stratagem the most power while still allowing it to use moves freely, which is extremely important given Stratagem's role as a utility check. Expert Belt is also possible, but Life Orb is preferred because it is required to guarantee certain OHKOs, such as Earth Power against Specially Defensive Heatran after Stealth Rock and Hidden Power Ice against defensive Landorus-T, and to improve the odds of other OHKOs, such as Energy Ball against Gastrodon.
-Levitate is used over Technician because it allows Stratagem to come in on Landorus-T without consequences and fire back with Hidden Power Ice.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-Technician is an option that allows Hidden Power Ice to OHKO Zygarde.
-Vacuum Wave is a good option for Technician sets that allows Stratagem to revenge kill faster threats that have been weakened, like Greninja, Greninja-Ash that have been Choice-locked into a move other than Water Shuriken, Mega Lopunny, and Cawmodore that has set up. It will also OHKO Bisharp, Kartana, and Weavile.
-Hidden Power Flying is another option for Technician sets that allows Stratagem to easily 2HKO Tomohawk and OHKO Mega Medicham. It also gives it about a 50% chance to 2HKO Mega Venusaur and is Stratagem's most effective option against Revenankh.
-Ancient Power is a Rock-type STAB option for Technician sets that deals slightly more damage than Paleo Wave on Technician sets. However, the lack of PP makes it difficult for this move to be as reliable as Paleo Wave.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Special Tanks**: Chansey fears absolutely nothing that Stratagem can throw at it and walls it easily. Similarly, Revenankh easily tanks Stratagem and can use it to set up. Mega Latias is only 3HKOed by Paleo Wave and can set up Calm Mind on Stratagem. Mega Venusaur easily tanks Stratagem's attacks, while Mega Sableye can stall out Stratagem and cause it to KO itself via Life Orb damage. Malaconda and Tapu Bulu can both check by OHKOing Stratagem, even if they take a Fire Blast.

**Faster Attackers**: Mega Alakazam outspeeds and OHKOs Stratagem, as do Mega Sceptile, Zeraora, and Ash Greninja. This category also includes Scarfers that can OHKO, including Greninja, Kerfluffle, Kartana, Keldeo, Crucibelle, Jumbao, and Volkraken.

**Fighting Types**: Kerfluffle can check by taking a hit from any of Stratagem's moves and OHKOing in return, as can Voodoom and Mega Medicham. Tomohawk is able to stall out Stratagem's health by Roosting repeatedly and forcing Stratagem to take recoil from Life Orb.

**Priority**: Due to its low bulk and Rock typing, Stratagem takes heavy damage from priority moves like Revenankh's Drain Punch, Cawmodore's and Mega Medicham's Bullet Punch, Arghonaut's Aqua Jet, and Colossoil's and Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch.

Last edited:
At the moment I'm wondering whether I should remove Ancient Power entirely; even on Technician sets, I doubt its utility. I don't know of any major benchmarks it allows Stratagem to pass (unless it starts providing boosts, but I don't want people to bank on that), and it just seems to make Stratagem lose a bunch of PP for a minimal increase in power.

Also I don't believe that I should split this analysis into a set for Technician and one for Levitate as has been done in the past; I feel like Stratagem ultimately fills the same role no matter which of these abilities are chosen. I may consider a Z-Crystal set, but most likely this will end up in Other Options.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Epic the mon has one set, it shouldn't take a month plus to get it into WIP. Please get this into QC within a weeks time or else we'll have to reassign. If you could do it in three days that would be even better.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Hey EpicUmbreon29! We really need to get these analyses in by the end of September and this one has been stalled out for months. It honestly should not be taking that long, especially since you are missing only a few things. Please get this done within a week or we will reassign. The sooner the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)