Stealth What? A Yanmega-based OU Team - Peaked #14 on Smogon Ladder

(21:31:42) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 14/57802 [1494 points / 146 battles]!​

Yup. Nobody saw it coming. Yanmega in OU? Where priority in the form of Scizor, stealth rocks, sandstorm, and Chansey running amok, how could Yanmega possibly function? Well, through heavy team support, Yanmega is actually a potent threat.

Peaking #14, I would say this team has something going for it. However since then, I haven't been able to top that. In fact, I've been hovering in the mid 1300's. This team admittedly has problems, which is where you guys come in. So, onto an in-depth look at the team.

Yanmega. The MVP of the team. Great dual stab coverage, almost unable to be beaten speed-wise without priority, good power with a life orb, and a third coverage move? Unstoppable if the 1 or 2 counters are taken out.

Next up, Forretress. Almost a no brainer, this guy can set up spikes to help secure crucial KOs, rapid spin stealth rocks for Yanmega, all the while gaining offensive momentum with volt switch and not being set-up fodder to dragons with Gyro Ball. I chose to forgo Toxic Spikes, since my team is more offensive and poison damage is pretty useless.

Most people assume that I only have 1 spinner, therefore Starmie is choiced.
This starmie acts as both a lure, and a surprise spinner. After my Forretress has died, they set up all their hazards then suicide their Ferrothorn; that's when Starmie comes in and gets rid of all the hazards a second time. He also provides strong Water/Ice/Electric attacks coming from a high speed, so he's a threat on his own.

Yet another Pokemon to make keeping SR up on my side of the field difficult (or in this case not up at all!) Magic bounce ensures that at the worst, I lose my Espeon while keeping my field free of hazards. Espeon also has the bonus of countering Brelooms (along with possibly bouncing Spore back on an un-activated Toxic Orb Breloom!) Contains CM to be a threat & a supporter at the same time. Couple that with Baton Pass, he has a psuedo volt-turn with Forre and can even pass +Sp.Atks to Yanmega.

Providing SR, a MUCH needed immunity to fire, a strong Fire attack to hit those that try to set up hazards (Skarmory/Forre/Ferro), while keeping Heatrans at bay with Air Balloon+Earth Power, Heatran supports the teams in too many ways. A perfect fit for the team.

I thought long and hard about the last slot (not really). I needed a strong fighting type, because my team would get dumped on by Chansey/Blissey. Real talk. I was contemplating Shed Skin Scrafty, Sub Toxicroak, and Conkeldurr. In the end, the ability to grab a guts boost, provide a strong priority in Mach Punch, and enough bulk to switch in multiple times, Conkeldurr just seemed like the better "Fat Kirby" counter.​

Now, onto the individuals.

An In-Depth Look

Big. Threat. (Yanmega) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ground]​

This set has everything it needs to succeed. Dual stab, Air Slash with some clutch flinch hax if needed, Bug Buzz for powerful stab & coverage. HP Ground because Heatran is way too common. HP Fire is not needed as much, Air Slash
is both powerful and can still flinch anyways. Modest for more power & since I'm confident with my ability to get 1+ Speed Boosts. Life Orb for much-needed power.

Robert Forre (Forretress) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball​

Standard defensive set, but who says it doesn't work? Of course it does. Has the ability to revenge kill Terrakion, or switch into any 2 attacks and retaliate.
Providing hazards, spin support, and offensive pressure while retaining great bulk, Forretress does what only it can do for this team.

The Dome! (Starmie) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Surf​

Providing reliable water stab, Starmie serves both as a backup last resort spinner, spinblocking counter, Gliscor, Gyarados, and Dragon slayer. Expert Belt to provide almost the same amount of power, bluff the choice item, and not lose HP as I rapid spin. Also provides a much needed water resistance.

On Like Espe (Espeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]​

Hey, maybe I don't need my Forretress for spikes this time around. Maybe I can use Blissey as set up fodder. This guy does it all. A lot of people expect Espeon to go down in about 4 Seismic tosses from their Fat Kirbys; then, I baton pass out to Yanmega, get 2 speed boosts on the switch and protect, and suddenly they're faced with a game-ending sweep. Espeon can still pose a threat with HP Fighting and Stored Power (+1 HP Fighting has a 68% chance to 1hko 252hp Tyranitar after 1 layer of spikes and SR).

Tran Tracks (Heatran) (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

Roasting steel types (including the ubiquitous Skarmory that counters my Yanmega) that tend to set up hazards, Heatran is here to set up quick SR, while not being a total duck. Fire Blast with Modest 252 hurts anything, including resisters. Unlike the Specially Defensive set, this one trades more reliable SR for the ability to nab KOs. Coupled with Air Balloon, a lot of teams don't have any option but to sacrifice a poke just to break my Balloon.

Conkelderp (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Superpower
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Payback

Switch on the Blissey Twave/Toxic, and they're pretty much done. I did 52% to 4 Def Latios with Superpower. I didn't even have to risk the prediction. Nothing can switch into this thing after a guts boost. With a guts boost, Conkeldurr's Mach Punch is actually more powerful (and with better coverage) than Scizor's Bullet Punch. Stone Edge and Payback to round out the coverage. His bulk ain't bad either, he can survive a LO Latios' Draco Meteor 46% of the time.

Conclusion

The point of this team isn't to make sure all the conditions are right for Yanmega to sweep. It'd be nice if that were the case, but sometimes Yanmega isn't even needed. Hey, if the opponent has 6 pokes with SR, nothing I can do about it. It's gonna get up. Some rounds are like that. But every single pokemon is a potent offensive threat on their own, while each supporting each other in some small way, and all 5 pokes collectively support Yanmega. If Yanmega is a big threat to their team, my opponents will more often than not, overly focus on SR. The rest of my pokemon aren't affected by SR much at all, so I can just wallbreak. Yanmega isn't the only trick up my sleeve, and that's what makes this team so powerful.​

Thanks for taking time to read this RMT, and I hope you guys take the time to
improve/change up my team for the better. I want to reach higher on the ladder, and I think this team is my best (and most fun) option to do so.

Importable

Big. Threat. (Yanmega) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Tran Tracks (Heatran) (F) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

On Like Espe (Espeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Robert Forre (Forretress) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Conkelderp (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Superpower
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Payback

The Dome! (Starmie) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Surf

Disclaimer!
I don't ladder on "Kyuutoryuu". So don't bother checking on that name.

Nice team! It's great to see someone actually using Yanmega. On Conkeldurr, I recommend Hammer Arm over Superpower. While Superpower deals more damage initially, Hammer Arm provides a more consistent attack that still packs tremendous power.

Nice team! It's great to see someone actually using Yanmega. On Conkeldurr, I recommend Hammer Arm over Superpower. While Superpower deals more damage initially, Hammer Arm provides a more consistent attack that still packs tremendous power.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion!

As for Hammer Arm, while I thought about it for a bit, Superpower was just the superior option because;

90% can bite my ass. It will.
And with a choice poke, especially the nature of slow physical fighting type atks, Conkeldurr shouldnt and usually cant stay in for more than a turn anyway.

Hi there, nice team.

It's been a while since I've seen something this creative ranked in the top 20, what with all the voltturn teams running around OU. But anyways, your team looks to have a problem with sun teams after Heatran is KO'ed (possibly by a Dugtrio after the balloon is broken) as Chlorophyll users such as Venusaur outspeed your entire team (even Yanmega at +2 speed doesn't outspeed Venusaur). Seeing as the synergy of this team is too great, I won't try to force you into new sets or pokes, but what I can suggest is to keep Conkeldurr at good health as it is the only Pokémon that can live a hit from Venusaur and hit back for a KO (Espeon can live a hit as well but an unboosted Stored Power will certainly not OHKO).

Also, it seems as if you are trying too hard to keep entry hazards off the field as you have 2 rapid spinners and Espeon. For that reason, I am suggesting that you replace Starmie with Scarf Rotom-W as Starmie cannot outspeed a Dragonite after a Dragon Dance. There was a part of my mind suggesting converting this team into a Rain team by replacing Starmie with Scarf Politoed in order to combat the Sun teams that this team faces problems with, but that of course is up to you. I'll give you both sets just in case.

Rotom-W
Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf Trait: Levitate
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Politoed
Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Drizzle
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast

Seeing as team was once at #14, I am sure that it has great potential to go even higher on the ladder!

Hope I helped, and good luck!

Hi there, nice team.

It's been a while since I've seen something this creative ranked in the top 20, what with all the voltturn teams running around OU. But anyways, your team looks to have a problem with sun teams after Heatran is KO'ed (possibly by a Dugtrio after the balloon is broken) as Chlorophyll users such as Venusaur outspeed your entire team (even Yanmega at +2 speed doesn't outspeed Venusaur). Seeing as the synergy of this team is too great, I won't try to force you into new sets or pokes, but what I can suggest is to keep Conkeldurr at good health as it is the only Pokémon that can live a hit from Venusaur and hit back for a KO (Espeon can live a hit as well but an unboosted Stored Power will certainly not OHKO).
I think if I see a Dugtrio or any possibility of Heatran dying, I will never risk the prediction war if they also have a Volcarona/Venusaur. I guess I'm lucky becuse I barely ran into sun teams that both had a Dugtrio AND Sun sweepers..

Also, it seems as if you are trying too hard to keep entry hazards off the field as you have 2 rapid spinners and Espeon. For that reason, I am suggesting that you replace Starmie with Scarf Rotom-W as Starmie cannot outspeed a Dragonite after a Dragon Dance. There was a part of my mind suggesting converting this team into a Rain team by replacing Starmie with Scarf Politoed in order to combat the Sun teams that this team faces problems with, but that of course is up to you. I'll give you both sets just in case.
The rain idea is nice but it's out of the question simply because none of my pokemon benefit from rain (Heatran is harmed), water attacks are compounded (Specs Rotom-W.. None of my pokes can take a Hydro Pump from that in the rain, even the Politoed since it's not defensive). And I don't see Politoed as a viable Pokemon if it isn't for the rain it sets up. As for being a tryhard to fight SR, Starmie doesn't JUST do that. Starmie is great for being.. Starmie. There's really nothing I can do with that slot anyway, recover isn't needed and neither is another coverage move. However, Dragonite is not a threat to my team at all. With Balloon, Heatran is a perfect counter. Also, Dragonite cannot set up on any of my pokemon except maybe my unboosted Espeon. That's what makes this team so potent, no ones a set up fodder for any pokemon.

Thanks for the comments and I will still keep the idea of Scarf Rotom-W in mind if I feel the need!

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, not a bad team at all, cool yanmega.

Anyways Ibanez has already made a fantastic suggestion with Scarf Rotom-W> Starmie. Scarf Rotom is simply just a better revenge killer than Starmie, and I'm honestly not sure why you'd need another Spinner since you already have Forretress and Espeon to keep the field clear of hazards; the opponent would need to really outplay you to get even any hazards up for enough time that they affect the match outcome. Scarf Rotom is a fantastic check to all of the threats you mentioned in Starmie's description, but it's also faster, which helps with stuff like +1 Dragonite and also carries Trick, which can cripple Pokemon like Blissey who otherwise wall your Heatran and Yanmega. Additionally, I'd like to advocate for a more defensive spread on your Heatran, given that Specs Tornadus is able to spam Hurricane under the rain and cause some serious damage to this team, as it even does 41.67% - 49.38% to Heatran while 2HKOing every other member, Latios is able to spam Draco Meteor much in the same way, although you do have Forretress for an additional resist. Anyways, what I'm saying is that by running a more defensive Heatran, Tornadus and Latios aren't able to spam their strongest STAB as much and you will be able to force them out into Stealth Rock with Heatran more often than not, obviously they do carry moves to beat Heatran, but running a more specially defensive spread makes it a lot harder for them to get through your team, you could also run some sort of hybrid variant that still retains a good amount of bulk while still outspeeding SD Scizor [I believe the EVs are something like 252 HP / 100 SpD / 160 Spe Calm]. Finally, i'd probably run 16 attack EVs on your Forretress, so that Gyro Ball is able to OHKO 0/0 Abomasnow, which can come in useful at times.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 212 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar

Change Summary:

Forretress:
16 SDef EVs-> 16 Atk EVs

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm already in love with this team it's amazing to see someone get high on the ladder with Yanmega (It's been 1 of my favourite pokemon ever since I started using it in all my gen4 teams.) I can see offensive SD Scizor being a huge threat to this team after heatran is gone and conkelldurr weakened. It can come in on forre and set up then proceed to sweep your team if the conditions are right. So I suggest a Utility Counter Jellicent over starmie. It's a flat out counter to scizor and can chek alot of other physical threats to this team burning them. And Taunting set up sweepers. It also can absorb damage from water moves. Which is extremely helpful because your team is rain weak especially to specs users such as Politoed, Rotom-W etc. You also don't really need Starmie too much because as others have said you already have a spinner and a magic bouncer.
Utility Counter Jellicent Set:

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Anyways I hope my suggestions can be of help to you and good luck with the team :]

Love the idea. Yanmega is a boss mon to work with. So, the only change I would recommend is hp ground to hp fighting on Yanmega. Heatran is pretty much always on an air balloon which would make hp ground useless. Plus it can take care of x4 ice and rock weakness. Good Luck!

I don't really have much to say, this is obviously a solid team here. One suggestion I might have is to try Hydro-pump > surf. The power diference is noticable as it gives you many critical KOs over surf, and 85% isn't terrible either, plus anything you really need checking with starmie can be taken down with ice beam.

i dont get the use of stored power, since psychic is powerful or at the same power of her even after two boosts, so it isnt so reliable at a glance, but ok, lol.

Shouldn't Choice Banded Dragonite be a threat to this team? Seeing as it can OHKO your Yanmega with priority ExtremeSpeed. just a though.

I don't really have much to say, this is obviously a solid team here. One suggestion I might have is to try Hydro-pump > surf. The power diference is noticable as it gives you many critical KOs over surf, and 85% isn't terrible either, plus anything you really need checking with starmie can be taken down with ice beam.
yep, i was going to suggest hydropump over surf as well.

@Karpman
Yeah, I'm testing out the Rotom now. I'm not using scarf however, because I feel like that ruins the offensive momentum if Im locked into Hydro Pump ; +1 Dragonite is unstoppable by my team, a boost he can't get on my Starmie.
As for the Heatran, same thing. Lum Berry DDNite on my Heatran is GG.
Also, I ran the calc for Forre with 16 atk EVs. 16 atk Gyro Ball is a 2hko (neutral natured)
at the biggest speed difference between Forre and Abomasnow.

@The Great Mighty Doom
I will try Jellicent over Starmie, but an offensive set. A defensive set really slows the pace of this team down, and taunt/recover/scald gameplay is not to my liking. Still, I'll give it a try.

@Pokemasta77
What would HP Fighting accomplish that Ground can't ? And surprisingly, specially defensive/choiced/LO Heatran are far more common than my own Air Balloon variant o_O

@Scarfwynaut
Hydro pump missed on a Tyranitar. 3 straight times. Got SR, a pursuit, and a 2nd pursuit on me. Never switching back from Surf to HPump again. (HPump has 80% accuracy btw, not 85%)

@|DarkSector|
Instantly changed. Thanks for the suggestion

@skaybestrogue
Actually, I just did that calc; CB Adamant 252 E-Speed on 4 HP Yanmegea does 53%-65%, not a 1hko even if I have prior damage / LO / etc.
Which shows how deadly SR is though ~.~

Hah, having played this team before, I can assure all the skeptics that Yanmega is bro-tier. Really great, creative team that's showed its worth. However, I also support the Rotom>Starmie movement. Overall, good job!

I've got to say, after adding Jellicent in place of Starmie, I don't miss the extra Rapid Spin.

I use:
Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SAtk / 112 Spd
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam

For a combination of bulk, power, ability to switch moves, survivabiltity; Jellicent also provides spin blocking. Perfect fit.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've got to say, after adding Jellicent in place of Starmie, I don't miss the extra Rapid Spin.

I use:
Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SAtk / 112 Spd
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam

For a combination of bulk, power, ability to switch moves, survivabiltity; Jellicent also provides spin blocking. Perfect fit.
I'm glad to be of help with the Jellicent suggestion. I was a bit stupid posting a defensive pokemon set in a team that's clearly offense orrientated. I just want to point out that testing out a Rocky Helmet on Jellicent wouldn't be a bad idea. This will be very helpful in a situation where the opponent has a +1 Dragonite on the field with multiscale intact. Especially if Jellicent is almost dead because you can just switch in on an outrage break Multi Scale and then revenge kill it. Again I hope this helped GL with the team :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)