Standard Team

Alright, first post, gotta make it count. This is a team for the standard metagame on Shoddy. I'm fairly new to DP battling, though I have some experience with ADV on NetBattle, some I basically just threw together a team. Changes made are in bold.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 HP/220 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- HP Fighting
My lead. I consider wasting Azelf's ridiculous speed and attack power by using him as a Focus Sash stealth rocker a waste, so I decided I'd rather run a Nasty Plot sweeper version. Thus far I've had a large amount of success with it, as people usually assume I'm the SR version and lay down their own rocks while I Plot and take out two or more of their Pogeys. The switch from Grass Knot to HP Fighting is to deal with the switch to Heatran, as well as being able to OHKO Tyranitar before a boost. I don't have to worry about Swampert because he's OHKOd by Psychic after a Plot boost. With the high speed score, Azelf is also not useless late game, as I can come back and start ripping Pokemon to pieces once my opponent's special wall is dead.
---

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Wish
- Protect
Physical tank that can put a lot of hurt on fires/grounds/rocks. Has HP Electric for Gyarados, which my team otherwise has trouble with. Gives opponents carrying Surf as their main attacking move headaches, and has Protect for Wish/Leftovers recovery as well as to scout choice users, etc. Can also pass wishes.

---

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/86 Atk/80 Def/92 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis
- Earthquake
I originally had Hippowdon in this slot, but Sand Stream isn't really synergetic with the rest of my team. Bronzong struck me as the next best SR user and all around physical wall. Gyro Ball is for STAB and the 2HKO on TTar as well as OHKOs on several other Pogeys, EQ is for type coverage and the ability to screw up Inferapes and Heatrans who think they can come in and Fire Blast me. Hypnosis is to force switches and let me get my Rocks off.
---

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge
Late game physical sweeper and part-time revenge killer. Bullet Punch and Stone Edge over Ice Punch/Crunch because I have Weavile for Gliscor and BP/SE do enough to Ghosts that I don't really tend to worry about them. Once my opponent's physical wall is down, Lucario comes in and begins raping after a single turn of setup. After a Dance, there isn't much that I'm afraid of, except the rare Pogey carrying Vacuum Wave or similar.
---

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Was Vaporeon until I realized I needed a sleep absorber. Helps me deal with Breloom, but not all that well. However, can take status like a champ and hit back with STAB Waterfall, or set up on something like Dusnoir, the non-Thunderpunch versions of which this set laughs at. Can sweep lategame unless the opponent has a Vaporeon or Suicune to stop it.
---

Weavile (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Brick Break
- Aerial Ace
Revenge killer, pure and simple. STAB CB Pursuit hurts a lot of things, and hits fairly hard even if the opponent doesn't switch. Aerial Ace is to deal with the ever present threat of Heracross, though ScarfCross outspeeds me. Ice Shard over Ice Punch to revengekill Dragon Dancers and Scarfmence/Scarfgon.
---

Main concerns:
Breloom, as I really have no good counters besides Weavile, which dies to Focus Punch if Breloom has a sub up. Gyarados can help, but the fact that Breloom resists both SE and Waterfall is fairly unpleasant.
Lack of (p)hazer, which means that Ninjask et al. walk all over me unless I play very carefully.
Lack of Rapid Spinner, which is not a major concern, but can still be an annoyance.
ScarfCross, who can put the hurt on a good portion of my team if I'm not careful.

I think that in the face of Suicide Azelf and Infernape, people tend to forget that they both have access to Nasty Plot, and therefore has not true counter for it, besides those carrying Blissey. But, you don't need Grass Knot. A Timid Azelf with Life Orb and a Nasty Plot up does 100% minimum to a 252 HP/0 SpDef Swampert with Psychic. That means that you can use Hidden Power Fighting in that slot, killing Tyranitar and Heatran, Heatran who would otherwise wall you.

For Weavile, run Ice Shard. That's really what you want 'Vile to be doing anyway, revengekilling. It also means that any Dragon, despite how much they set up, are going down.

Gyarados will need Stone Edge in order to take on other Gyaradoses, but an Impish Defensive Gyarados (like your own) that carries Dragon Dance will cause you enormous problems, as you have nothing that can effectively take it down, actually. For that reason, I would consider having Dragon Dance on your Gyarados, and give it 252 HP EVs instead of Attack. Since Weavile takes care of Dragons, and since Stone Edge can't take on defensive Gyarados, you can just as well start powering up with Dragon Dance and be somewhat a sweeper yourself. Also, Gyarados is the best counter around for any Breloom without Thunderpunch or Stone Edge, which is in fact most of them. Gyarados also counters Scarfcross, since Stone Edge without STAB or Choice Bands boost won't to enough damage, basically.

What if you changed Blissey to Vaporeon? You still get what Blissey has, but with HP Electric, you can take on Gyarados fairly easily, and with Water Absorb, it can't hurt you.

Vaporeon@Leftvoers
[Calm/Bold]
188 HP,252 Def, 60 SpDef
- HP Electric
- Surf
- Wish
- Protect

Welcome to Smogon!

At a glance, this looks like a pretty solid team, but a couple of areas catch my attention as problematic. My first piece of advice is to shift Bronzong to the leading spot, so you can set up SR at the beginning of the match. For Bronzongs EV's use 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def so you can have balanced defenses, and a Sassy nature will enable you to take Special Attacks a little better, which you're already using, so no problems there. I see Azelf performing better if it was at the back, as lead Azelf tend to run Stealth Rock and hold Focus Sash as opposed to the moveset you're running on it, which is for NP sweeping purposes. Not to say it's broke, but when you take into account it's fragility + Life Orb recoils, it won't last long leading. Going along, I notice your team is Heatran weak, as he is immune to Blissey's moves, Toxic/Flamethrower, and a Scarf variant can easily revenge kill your whole team, with the only exception being Gyarados, who has a really slow, bulky sort of EV spread. Seeing that you're also in need of a Spinner, how about taking Gyarados out and using a physically offensive Tentacruel?

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 Spe/252 Atk/4 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
~ Waterfall
~ Poison Jab
~ Rapid Spin
~ Swords Dance/Toxic Spikes

This covers your lack of a Spinner, and counters Heatran favorably, although Earth Power will hurt Tentacruel on the switch in or if its already out. Other than ScarfTran variations of Heatran, you shouldn't have too big of a problem with him. Even though Poison Jab doesn't have very high coverage, it is a decent STAB move to work with. It hurts Breloom nicely too. Swords Dance is there at an attempt to make it a physical threat, but Toxic Spikes is another option if you're just wanting more of a support Tentacruel. However I see SD being the better option in terms of a non-support version, but just depends on whether you're in preference of offense or support.

Lucario and Weavile are fine but as Orion suggested running Ice Shard > Ice Punch will enable you to revenge kill Salamence and other Dragon Pokemon easier.

Sorry if this seems like a quick rate. I'll gladly ask any questions you may have, and I hope this helps you out! =)

I think that in the face of Suicide Azelf and Infernape, people tend to forget that they both have access to Nasty Plot, and therefore has not true counter for it, besides those carrying Blissey. But, you don't need Grass Knot. A Timid Azelf with Life Orb and a Nasty Plot up does 100% minimum to a 252 HP/0 SpDef Swampert with Psychic. That means that you can use Hidden Power Fighting in that slot, killing Tyranitar and Heatran, Heatran who would otherwise wall you.

For Weavile, run Ice Shard. That's really what you want 'Vile to be doing anyway, revengekilling. It also means that any Dragon, despite how much they set up, are going down.

Gyarados will need Stone Edge in order to take on other Gyaradoses, but an Impish Defensive Gyarados (like your own) that carries Dragon Dance will cause you enormous problems, as you have nothing that can effectively take it down, actually. For that reason, I would consider having Dragon Dance on your Gyarados, and give it 252 HP EVs instead of Attack. Since Weavile takes care of Dragons, and since Stone Edge can't take on defensive Gyarados, you can just as well start powering up with Dragon Dance and be somewhat a sweeper yourself. Also, Gyarados is the best counter around for any Breloom without Thunderpunch or Stone Edge, which is in fact most of them. Gyarados also counters Scarfcross, since Stone Edge without STAB or Choice Bands boost won't to enough damage, basically.

What if you changed Blissey to Vaporeon? You still get what Blissey has, but with HP Electric, you can take on Gyarados fairly easily, and with Water Absorb, it can't hurt you.

Vaporeon@Leftvoers
[Calm/Bold]
188 HP,252 Def, 60 SpDef
- HP Electric
- Surf
- Wish
- Protect
Okay, I didn't know Azelf did quite that much to Swampert with Psychic after a NP boost. So, I've switched out Grass Knot for HP Fighting.

Blissey is now this:
Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Wish
- Protect
Hopefully it'll work as well/better, especially because I'd really like to keep Vaporeon; it's one of my favourite Pokes.

Gyarados now looks like this:
Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Dragon Dance

Weavile now carries Ice Shard.

I'm wondering, should I be concerned about Electivire? Any version carrying an electric move and a fire move hits five of my six Pokemon super effective. Is this a legitimate concern, and, if so, how could I go about addressing it?

As long as Electivire isn't running Flamethrower or Fire Punch, Bronzong can come in without worry and KO it pretty quickly with Earthquake, and it does a good job at countering Electivires physical sets too.

Alright, I've done some testing, and CM Suicune can really do a number on me, as even without any Calm Minds, Vaporeon can't really hit it all that hard with HP Electric.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)