Standard strategical OU team

Hi there! I have been playing in the competitive games recently and i have come up with a tested team for the OU tier. However, it seems to be lacking in certain areas that i just can't put my finger on. Criticism would be greatly appreciated! (:

Thundurus-T (Item: expert belt)
Ability: Volt absorb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4HP/ 252 Sp. atk/ 252 Speed

Moves: Thunderbolt, HP ice, grass knot, volt switch

Thundurus is generally my lead most of the time, as i can trick the opponent into thinking that i am a choiced user which can benefit me in the long run. Other than that, Thundurus is also one of my team's general special sweeper.

Celebi (Item: Leftovers)
Ability: Natural cure
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Speed

Moves: Swords dance, seed bomb, zen headbutt, recover

Celebi is one of my team's main physical sweeper, utilizing swords dance to its utmost potential. Furthermore, physical celebi is very rarely seen so far (for me, at least). The surprise value may benefit me if the opponent switches into a pokemon with bad physical defense but great special defense. Seed bomb and zen headbutt are the two moves with STAB for dealing damaging while recover is for sustaining my celebi throughout the battle, if possible.

Lucario (Item: Leftovers)
Ability: Steadfast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4HP/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Speed

Moves: Psychic, Aura Sphere, HP Ice, Dark pulse

Again, lucario is my general sweeper of the team as i noticed that my Thundurus always seems to be taken out rather early in the game. I chose lucario due to its incredible versatility in moves. Aura sphere and HP ice is rather standard so i shan't elaborate on that. Psychic is to catch any fighting types such as Conkledurr off guard and deal heavy damage to it. Dark pulse was used to complete the move coverage as it has the same power as shadow ball and is way more effective than shadow ball. However, the issue is that lucario is definitely outclassed in the speed department in the OU tier filled with pokemon of blistering speed such as Landorus, Thundurus, etc.

Jellicent (Item: Leftovers)
Ability: Water absorb
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/ 36 Def/ 220 Sp.Def

Moves: Scald, recover, will-o-wisp, taunt

Jellicent is the wall of my team. Scald is a standard move that jellicent to do more damage when needed. Recover to ensure that Jellicent can stay alive throughout the battle. I went for will-o-wisp as i've noticed that there is a myriad of physical attackers being used in the OU tier from Salamence to haxorus and landorus as well. Will-o-wisp shuts down these pokemon. Taunt is also to prevent pokemon such as skarmory or ferrothorn form setting up stealth rocks or spikes.

Gliscor (Item: toxic orb)
Ability: Poison heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/ 184 Def/ 72 Speed

Moves: Swords dance/ Earthquake/ Facade/ Protect

Gliscor is somewhat my physical wall of this team. The EV spread is from the movesets in smogon. The physical defense of gliscor is really great! It can take many hits like a champ! Swords dance is a way of boosting its attack so as to be a decent sweeper. Earthquake is a standard STAB move which is essential for Gliscor. I went for facade as i figured that it would do more damage than a super-effective ice fang, thus it is more powerful. Protect is for racking up recovery by the toxic orb by poison heal as well as for scouting what the opponent would be doing.

Heatran (Item: choice specs)
Ability: Flash fire
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 Hp/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Speed

Moves: Overheat/ Dragon pulse/ Earth power/ HP grass

Heatran is the powerhouse of my team. What it lacks in speed, it makes up for in power. Overheat is a great move that does a hefty chunk of damage to anything that does not resist it. Dragon pulse is for any of the dragon types such as latias or latios which can potentially set up a calm mind and start a sweep. Earth power is a must-have for heatran as it can affect other heatrans if correctly predicted. HP grass is for the likes of gastrodon which is becoming increasingly common in the OU metagame.

Overall, after battling, i found out that i really needed a scarfed pokemon to revenge-kill any other pokemon potentially attempting to sweep. However, i am unable to find a suitable pokemon to take the role. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (:

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Hi there! Welcome to Smogon!

The first thing i can see here is a BIG BIG BIG weakness to Genesect + Dugtrio.
E-belt Genesect can bluff a Choice Scarf spamming u-turn and waiting your switch in to Heatran (the most effective counter for Genesect) and then (once heatran is in play) Dugtrio make the job. He kills heatran with just one stab earthquake and then Gene is free to kill everything on your team. He OHKO all your pokes with the exception of Jellycent which is easily 2HKO'ed by gigadrain.

My solution to this would be changing Heatran to a Choice Scarf Gothitelle. With this, you can trap it at any time he doesn't use u-turn and the kill.

Also i can see the lack of Stealth Rocks, you could try instead of Thundurus a Chansey. This will help you to deal better with Genesect. (This is optional)

Oh, moreover, Surf > Scald on Jellycent cause you have already W-o-W.

Sets:
Gothitelle @Choice Scarf | Shadow Tag
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hidden Power [Fire] | Psyshock | Shadow Ball | Trick

Chansey @Eviolite | Natural Cure
Bold | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Stealth Rock | Softboiled | Seismic Toss | Toxic

tl; dr
-Scarf Gothitelle > Heatran
-Surf > Scald on Jellycent
-Chansey > Thundurus-T (optional)

Hope I helped!

~LilOu

@LilOuOn
Thank you for your feedback. I can see where you are coming from and i absolutely agree with your perspective. The one issue i have is that i have never seen a scarfed gothitelle before so i might need to accustom myself to such a set.

I am wondering if using bronzong is good alternative compared to using chansey?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Oh right litea, i have put the set of Gothitelle there to make it easier to you because the are no sets for scarf gothi on Smogon. (click on the "show" button behind "Sets").

Hmm...using bronzong gives you more weakness to fire type moves, if you want something to lead with and to set rocks and also make heavy damage, try Sash Terrakion.

Terrakion |@Focus Sash | Justified
Jolly | 252 Atk / 252 spe / 4sdef
Stealth rock | Taunt | Close Combat | Stone edge

This helps you to taunt common leads as Deo'D without magic coat and other stuff.

~LilOu

Oh right litea, i have put the set of Gothitelle there to make it easier to you because the are no sets for scarf gothi on Smogon. (click on the "show" button behind "Sets").

Hmm...using bronzong gives you more weakness to fire type moves, if you want something to lead with and to set rocks and also make heavy damage, try Sash Terrakion.

Terrakion |@Focus Sash | Justified
Jolly | 252 Atk / 252 spe / 4sdef
Stealth rock | Taunt | Close Combat | Stone edge

This helps you to taunt common leads as Deo'D without magic coat and other stuff.

~LilOu
I see, thank you for your criticism, will test it out and give you my feedback. Thanks again! (:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)