XY OU Stalling OU to 1800

I knew when I came back to ou, after taking a break, that I wanted to build a stall team. I always felt like I was more in control of the game with stall than with an offensive team or a weather team. So I set out and began checking to see what the major ou threats were. After seeing that it was mostly just keldeo, landorus, pinsir, and charizard spam I knew I could build a core to handle those threats.

Rock Lobster (Tyranitar) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

This guy is usually my go to lead. He gets up stealth rock just about every time. Usually people expect a switch and just use scald on there keldeo or try and set up there own stealth rock. My team is bulky enough that it can just ignore the rocks. So just getting sand up and rocks is a fine trade. Then Tyranitar can come in and just wreck things with pursuit later on like talonflame and annoying defoggers like latias/os.

Party Bus (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Protect

Ferrothorn is bulky and great at dealing poke damage to the enemy team with leech seed and protect. That combo plus leftovers lets you troll the obvious switch-ins to heatran and charizard. Then you just switch into a counter and keep rolling, trolling, and stalling. Oh and if for some reason they don't switch you just set up spikes or spam gyro ball. He can tank keldeos scald or secret sword once and if they don't burn hax you you can tank 2 hits and try and ko them with gyro ball or switch out.

King (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Protect
- Knock Off

He truely is the king. If you can take out anything that can't get poisoned and you get a substitute up against them you can just start gliscor sweeping. Poison heal is great. Just watch out for status the first turn he is in. Usually I try and get him in fairly early to set up his poison so I can use him to status absorb. He can tank stealth rock damage all day. If I see a heatran or an excadrill I just send this guy in and try and blow it up or set up substitute on the guessed switch. It just depends on the game or how ballsy I'm feeling.

Lunch Box (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

The coffin is my shiny lunch box. He can spread burns, heal with pain split and troll with protect. Against some pokemon like scizor or pinsir he just wrecks them. To be fair if scizor has knock off it will probably ohko you, but hey that's what protect is for. If it does happen taking off technician or aerialite is usually worth the sacrifice.

Oh and in case it wasn't obvious his typing is great when you have 3 pokemon weak to fighting. He's a good spin blocker as well.

Pillow (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Eviolite Chansey is beyond bulky. It can switch into anything and usually get off a wish or toxic. Sometimes the chansey just wants to come in and seismic toss until it just can't toss anymore or the whole team is gone. Usually though chansey just comes in to heal up my mons or stall out weather.

Priest (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Aromatherapy

Half the reason this set works is because of how popular magic guard clefable is. I wanted to use another pokemon as my heal bell user other than chansey just so all my eggs aren't in one pokemon (hue hue) Sometimes Clefable can sweep the whole enemy team with calm mind, but usually it just comes in to tank a set up sweeper that's been statused. It is also my best and only counter to opposing calm mind sweepers.

All in all it's a fun stall team that got me up to 1800 rating. Sometimes rng can be annoying, but with solid smart play you can pick up those wins.

Last edited:
Hey Tweetie, cool team. Finally someone who isn't using skarmcharm or venasaur heatran core. I just want to point out that there is one pokemon that can run over your team is mega-medichamp. Here are some calcs :-

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 422-498 (119.8 - 141.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 936-1104 (145.7 - 171.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 340-400 (96 - 112.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 904-1068 (223.7 - 264.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Cofagrigus: 133-157 (51.7 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

As you can see medichamp can leave your team very weak for others to finish off. To counter this I suggest that you change ferrothorn to slowbro.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Toxic

It can take hits from medichamp, perhaps scald burn it, and switch out to regain your health. Hope I helped, wait for an official teamrater to give you a rate. :]

I actually am aware of the medicham problem. You beat it bye just 50/50 guessing and switching into cofag or pressing protect. Actually not that hard to do. Depends on the player. I've seen people switch it into a toxic from my gliscor xD.

Turns out medicham sucks after having mummy for the rest of the game.

I actually am aware of the medicham problem. You beat it bye just 50/50 guessing and switching into cofag or pressing protect. Actually not that hard to do. Depends on the player. I've seen people switch it into a toxic from my gliscor xD.

Turns out medicham sucks after having mummy for the rest of the game.
The change to Mummy only lasts until Medicham switches out. So basically, it switches in, critically injures your Cofag, and then switches out, ready to crush skulls again later. I agree with adding Slowbro to your team. However, I recommend a more optimal EV spread: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD. This allows it to survive two Specs Keldeo Hydro Pumps after Stealth Rock, with Leftovers recovery. I also recommend Thunder Wave instead of Toxic on Slowbro. You've got two other mons using Toxic, and a lot of players underestimate the value of paralysis on Stall teams.

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)