XY NU Stall coming through!! (Got to top 20 at peak)

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi again guys, I'm back again with another NU team. Stall is becoming my favourite thing to play the tier for a couple of reasons:
  • It breaks HO teams with enough predictions
  • The salty tears from my opponents quench my thrist
  • See above
After looking at the top tier threats, I think I've got an way to deal with them (as long as I don't choke / get haxed to death)

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost / Rest
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Toxic​

Magmortar? Is that a problem? Easily the best Magmortar check in the tier imo; resists it's main STAB and, unlike Dragalge and Audino, won't get popped by an Earthquake/Psychic or Focus Blast respectively.
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Altaria: 95-113 (26.9 - 32%) -- 40.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
We have Dragon Pulse as it's main STAB so it has do a bit of damage to stuff, not a lot mind you, but it can still hit stuff. Fire Blast is so it can the pesky Grass-types like Vileplume, Gourgeist and Ferroseed and Dragon/Fire is pretty good coverage overall (ask Mega Char X). Roost gives you nice recovery; Rest does give you more HP but you'll have to switch out to wave up. Toxic gives that extra way to spread status around.

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heal Bell​

Rest Talk Granbull is still one of favourite pokemon to use and a good check to the fighting types like Hariyama, Sawk and Primeape. Since Granbull doesn't get any reliable recovery, Rest is the only way it'll be hanging about in the battle. With using Sleep Talk, you have a 66% chance to either hit the opponent or remove all the status in your team may be afflicted with, including waking itself up a turn early, if you're lucky :]
The 32 atk EVs allows you to 2HKO all variants of Spiritomb which is a nuisance to this team

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
EVs: 232 HP / 228 Def / 48 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Poison Jab
Clearly the better option over using Weezing as I can now set-up regular Spikes as well as T-spikes and because of it's Water typing, it can sorta deal with Feraligatr. The reason I'm running Jolly with 48 speed EVs is so that I can outspeed said standard Gatr and Taunt it before it can set-up any SDs. 232 HP EVs give it 329, which is a nice number to have as it's between 2 'leftovers numbers', which are 321 and 337. Poison Jab is used so that I can hit Fairy-types harder, notably Granbull and Slurpuff as well as give me another chance to poison stuff.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Gyro Ball​

Probably the biggest problem playing Stall is that Klinklang is a HUGE threat to you as the only thing that resists Steel/Normal is Steel or by using Rotom or Frillish, which don't do a lot for you at all, so by using Steelix you have a perfect counter to it as well as have a Stealth Rock user that can also absorb those Electric attacks in the tier. Roar is a great phase move, now that it ignores Protect/Detect, whilst racking up more residual damage on your opponent. We use Gyro Ball as it enables you to 2HKO Offensive Xatu on the switch in, predicting you to set up Stealth Rocks and it can't OHKO back with Heat Wave.
252 SpA Life Orb Xatu Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 205-242 (58 - 68.5%)
8 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (136 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xatu: 174-205 (64.2 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off​

Where would stall be without your Wish Passer, eh? So here's Audino's role for the team. The EVs are slightly different to what is usually used, but here's my reasoning for it:
232 HP investment gives Audino 405 HP; this number is quite important. 405 means that Seismic Toss is a 5HKO still as well as it being the highest Regen number that is odd Audino can have, as 405 is divisible by 3.
Max investment in SpD as we wanna be able to eat up them special hits.
The last 24 EVs I put into Spe so I can outspeed some of the other base 50 pokemon in the tier as well as the slower pokemon that like to speed creep, notably Dragalge.
I'm using Double-Edge over Return as since we have Regenerator + Wish + Leftovers, the recoil gets easily healed up. Knock Off is used in the final slot since Granbull has Heal Bell and it means Audino can not only provide big Wishes for my team, but remove any pesky items that my opponent has + hit the Ghost-types of the tier.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 112 SpA / 100 Def / 72 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Haze​

Finally, we have good ol' Cryogonal; one of the best, if not the best, ways to deal with VileToad cores (which seem to be fading out the higher up you go up the ladder). The EVs are always everywhere when I use Cryogonal, because I adapt them to how I need Cryogonal to function. In this case, here are the reasons behind this spread:
224 HP gives you a 'Leftovers number', which is 337.
72+ Spe allows you to outspeed Modest Xatu and hopefully stop it from setting up too many CMs and generally be a threat.
112 SpA allows Freeze-Dry to extremely good chance to OHKO 248 hp / 0 sp.def Seismitoad unless you get absolute min damage, which does 412 damage, as well as being able to hit the other bulky waters in the tier and puts massive pressure on Rain teams, which are becoming more and more popular.
Then the rest go into Def to give it some more bulk.
Rapid Spin and Recover are standard on Cryogonal. Those 2 moves support the team so well by keeping hazards off your side of the field and keeping the keep as a whole healthy.Haze is used in the last slot so that could be completely get rid off any set-up your opponent tries to get as well as getting rid of any negative drops you may have.

So here's my team, I hope you guys like it (the majority of users I've faced don't :] don't know why that is?) and of course, I'll have a pastebin of the team at the bottom so you can try it out for yourself :]
v
http://pastebin.com/pcxFSxde

Any suggestions you guys have to improve the team are also greatly appreciated. Have fun on the ladder guys :]

Last edited:
This is a very good stall team for the current metagame where HO reigns prevalant and it is rather difficult to build effective stall teams. For this I congratulate you. However, I do notice a weakness to stronger fire types. Frankly, especially if SR is up, Altaria could be potentially worn down, making it difficult for you to switch into the likes of Banded Flareon. Your team also doesn't appreciates strong Ice Types, but I feel if you play well enough between Audino, Cryogonal, and Steelix, you should bea ble to pressure them enough. Outside of that though, I feel this is a rather solid team, although standard stallbreakers still do well against you [e.g. Taunt NP Mismagius], but you do have pokemon to deal with each one.

I feel that you might want to run Defensive Qwilfish over Weezing. Qwilfish mitigates your Fire Weakness a large amount by offering a second check next to Altaria, and basically does exactly what Weezing does, but also helps set up far more hazards, and offers great utility options as well. Spikes are critically important to any stall team, as you can rack up invaluable damage just by forcing switches, which can make teh difference in whether or not you can potentially tank out an opponent. Intimidate helps it to tank more hits, and while it isn't even close to as bulky as weezing is, it is still a very impressive physical wall, and has slightly more offensive presence while being able to set up spikes and check fire types, something your team needs.

Solid team, hope this helps!

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Spikes
- Pain Split / Toxic Spikes
- Taunt / Toxic

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
since combuskenpass is a thing now, I'd recommend haze over Toxic on altaria which lets stall handle it very nicely as atm it just 6-0's ur team in half

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Hey nice team, i would recommend bumping up the speed evs on Qwilphish though to 96 so it can outspeed and Taunt Omastar before it sets up a shell smash and sweeps you with rocks up.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hey QueenOfLuvdiscs :]

Your stall is kinda odd to me, but you peaked #1 with it I think so what can I say lol.

The main thing that seems to be annoying against your team is Pawniard.

It can easily set up on Audino or Cryogonal, and gets an Attack boost from both Qwilfish (which can't touch it) and Granbull. Which leaves you with two answers to it: SpD Altaria and Sassy Steelix lol.

To try and fix this without changing too much, I am going to suggest you to use a more Physically Defensive spread on Steelix:

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

The EV spread lets Steelix hit a Def jump point, and rest goes in SpD.

I am also gonna suggest trying out Garbodor over Qwilfish:

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot / Seed Bomb / Clear Smog / Haze

I am suggesting this to help Steelix to counter Pawniard, and I also think Rocky Helmet Garbodor is more annoying to physical attackers and a more reliable spiker than Qwilfish (especially your set, I don't really like it lol). Drain Punch is to hit Pawniard and to deal with Klinklang and other Steel-types, and also helps checking Kangaskhan. Last move is filler: Gunk Shot is the strong STAB, while Seed Bomb is cool to 2HKO Seismitoad and to a nice chunk to Rhydon. Clear Smog and Haze are also nice to not let Feraligatr or other things set up on it.

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)