OU SS OU Teambuilding Competition - Cancelled - On Hiatus, Feedback Survey

I'll be covering pulsar512b for the time being.

The week month 7 voting period has concluded! After tallying the results, Pads Shifu by RTM received the most votes. Congrats! Your team will be added to the team archive shortly.

Week 8:
:bw/rotom-wash:

This week includes a popular choice of the Smogon Masters, Washtom! The poltergeist appliance sports a lot of utility, so make it count!

Deadline is October 31st.

Well, for now with life bogging me down I'm gonna have to call off this "week." It was rather unsuccessful seeing as we only received two submissions, one of which was very late but I shouldn't be talking. I'll be passing the building competition back to pulsar512b, and we will decide if the project will continue. Stay tuned.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
RMT Leader
GastroSkarm Semi-Stall

Inspired by sealoo's Dragapult fat with HippoSkarm in National Dex, I tried building around the idea of Dragapult + spikestack in gen 8 OU. A real water resist was mandatory as players cannot cheat er I mean skillfully terastallise their way out of strong water type attacks, so Hippowdon was swapped for Gastrodon, who has something even better: a water immunity. Clefable and Zapdos were natural partners for GastroSkarm, so I went with stealth rock + knock Clefable to remove items and stack hazards while Zapdos provided the team with a defogger, paralysis spreader with discharge/static as well as a sturdier fighting resist. Choice specs Dragapult is the star of the show, with its STAB combination of draco meteor and shadow ball giving it an immediate offensive presence while hex is powered up to absurd heights once opposing teams are statused. Will-o-wisp statuses specially defensive ground types that are often used to pivot into Dragapult so it can break through them with hex later on. Jirachi rounds out the team as a future sight answer as well as a Tapu Lele check that can take out Urshifu with psychic in a pinch. Special thanks to cyberacc for sharing a variety of fantastic stall teams for me to draw on what works (as well as ronaldo o fenomeno for the Zapdos and Jirachi sets).

Last edited:

cyberacc

formerly Suckingmoreducks
Skarmory Stall, optimized:skarmory: :tornadus-therian::toxapex: :clefable: :blissey: :gastrodon:

Skarmory's defensive niche in SS OU is something I often find myself privy to avoiding when building stall since oftentimes the logic you use to slot Skarmory is "oh, its' a Corviknight with Spikes" when thats' not how most Skarmory teams end up playing out in their actual early, mid and late-games. Corviknight comes in and roosts and eats up PP, nullifying the damage. Skarmory comes in, heals and forces progression off of walling/checking something.
Thus a lot of my builder logic as of recently, especially with this specific Skarmory team, has been this;
Build Skarmory as if it where an active anti-tempo wincon that turns checking something like Weavile, Buzzwole, Kartana etc. into a future benefit.

:skarmory: here slots toxic, spikes, body press, Roost and leftovers to ensure that it can turn one of Skarmories worst tendencies into a long term benefit; Letting in defoggers and electrics freely as it has to heal.
A thing most people neglect with Skarmory is that it has some absolutely disgusting toxic-targets that often times end up folding over time to someone expecting the standard Iron Defense + BP set. Landorus Therian, Tornadus Therian, Zapdos, Tapu Koko, Rotom W etc. often times hard switch in on a Skarmory expecting themselves to get an opportunity to risklessly Defog on it. With Toxic + Leftovers on Skarmory you can now punish these otherwise riskless switch ins with status.

The rest of the team is almost exclusively built around abusing the specific Skarmory set I chose to win the hazard war over time and bolster Skarmory as a win-condition;
Taunt + U-turn :tornadus-therian: acts as speed control for otherwise game ending situations like a Cosmic Power Mew, Nasty Plot Slowking Galar or a Calm Mind Tapu Fini that can be favored to break down the Unaware Clefable + Blissey on the team over time. Taunt also denies defogging attempts. Defog is here to ensure if you're in an unfavored matchup you have the tools to remove hazards.
The standard Light Screen :toxapex: acts as another physically defensive check and is also the teams' main lead and mandatory Knock Off user. The moves Light Screen + Knock Off + Recover + Toxic are here to make sure you don't lose off of preview to Future Sight + Breaker lineups. Shed Shell + Knock off is incredibly aggrevating for Heatran teams to deal with and when paired together with Spikes and Rocks there's a very real probability that standard bulky offenses end up losing the war of attrition.
Unaware :clefable:is the teams' cleric and ensures you have something to leverage a win versus the affromentioned set-up sweepers that Tornadus Therian ends up denying.
Standard :blissey: is the teams stealth rocker and acts as the proprietary special wall. Thunderwave was chosen over Toxic since paralyzing opposing steel types is more beneficial to the rest of the lineup: forcing paralysis on steel types like Corviknight, Ferrothorn and Melmetal means that they're not going to be switching in on Blissey freely.
Protect + Storm Drain :gastrodon-east:Is the teams main answer to Heatran, acts as a Future Sight absorber and is the mandatory ground type. Storm Drain was chosen over Sticky Hold to make stallbreakers like :urshifu-rapid strike: and :crawdaunt: be forced to second guess their moves over time.

Last edited:
:ss/Reuniclus: :ss/Tapu Koko: :ss/Skarmory: :ss/gastrodon: :ss/Clefable: :ss/Toxapex:

https://pokepast.es/c67bab0a1b59d81d
Skarmory-Reuniclus Fat Balance

Skarmory fits best on bulky teams that appreciate its ability to slowly wear down offensive threats and make progress while providing an excellent defensive presence.
This is a team with a strong spikes supported win condition in calm mind :Reuniclus:. :Tapu Koko: serves as speed control and a check to threats to this team such as cosmic power :Mew: and :Zapdos-Galar:.
:Gastrodon: is the obligatory ground and has excellent type synergy with :Skarmory:.
:Clefable: is the rocker. I chose tricky barb to wear down :Tapu Koko: checks such as :Ferrothorn:.
Toxapex serves as anti-setup and checks the physical threats that :Skarmory: can’t.
I chose to forego defog in favor of building a team that doesn’t mind hazards on its side of the field. Spikes help to wear down checks of :Tapu Koko: and :Reuniclus:.

Last edited:

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
RMT Leader
LeleShifu Sand

Inspired by Buhrito, the idea with this team is to utilise choice specs Tapu Lele's wallbreaking prowess to the fullest by pairing it with a sand team so it does not need to fit shadow ball to hit Shedinja (yes I am looking at you tntblader) as well as improve its matchup against Heatran. Urshifu is a natural pairing with Tapu Lele as an offensive Weavile check and steel type destroyer as well as providing the illusion that this team is a choice scarf Tapu Lele/choice band Urshifu team. Sand rush Excadrill provides speed control in sand as well as a way to offensively pressure bulky setup fairies to round out the offensive core, and specially defensive Tyranitar is employed here as a sturdy Heatran/Dragapult check (the ATK investment allows it to 2HKO Dragapult with 3 hit rock blast, OHKO max HP Heatran with earthquake as well as threaten potential KOs on offensive Tornadus/Zapdos) outside of being the sand setter that Excadrill desperately needs to function. Assault vest Tornadus-Therian alleviates some pressure on Tyranitar by being able to soak up a variety of special attacks as well as check grass types such as Kartana and Rillaboom. Last but not least, Ferrothorn rounds out the defensive core as a sturdy fairy and water resist that stacks hazards with Tyranitar.

LeleShifu Sand

Inspired by Buhrito, the idea with this team is to utilise choice specs Tapu Lele's wallbreaking prowess to the fullest by pairing it with a sand team so it does not need to fit shadow ball to hit Shedinja (yes I am looking at you tntblader) as well as improve its matchup against Heatran. Urshifu is a natural pairing with Tapu Lele as an offensive Weavile check and steel type destroyer as well as providing the illusion that this team is a choice scarf Tapu Lele/choice band Urshifu team. Sand rush Excadrill provides speed control in sand as well as a way to offensively pressure bulky setup fairies to round out the offensive core, and specially defensive Tyranitar is employed here as a sturdy Heatran/Dragapult check (the ATK investment allows it to 2HKO Dragapult with 3 hit rock blast, OHKO max HP Heatran with earthquake as well as threaten potential KOs on offensive Tornadus/Zapdos) outside of being the sand setter that Excadrill desperately needs to function. Assault vest Tornadus-Therian alleviates some pressure on Tyranitar by being able to soak up a variety of special attacks as well as check grass types such as Kartana and Rillaboom. Last but not least, Ferrothorn rounds out the defensive core as a sturdy fairy and water resist that stacks hazards with Tyranitar.
:( this feels targeted this is so mean im literally sobbing please stop using weather and sball lele so i can hard wall lele shifu please guys

THE SPOONER THE BETTER

:ss/landorus-therian: :ss/tapu-lele: :ss/urshifu-rapid-strike: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/clefable: :ss/dragapult:

The main idea is to not have Tapu Lele locked on only one move once it entered the battle.
The strategy is interesting if we want to bait a choice set, especially with future sight and taking advantage of the increased damage with Twisted Spoon, ideally our alola totem would be accompanied by Pads shifu, but for speed control reasons (Garchomp, +1 speed Dragonite, Zeraora, Dragapult, Blacephalon (non scarf)), we have to go with Choice Scarf.
Here we have Ferrothorn as our Contact Punisher, especially for Weavile/Rillaboom/Melmetal and any other physical attacker on contact, I put the Iron Press set to improve the Magnezone+Breaker matchup, and Iron Head over Power Whip to hold against CM Clefable while winning against CM Tapu-Fini.
The "Demon Clef" as it was called at Team France is excellent here, as it's the safest knock off user in the tier and allows the game to move forward, handicapping Tapu Lele's natural counters (mainly Steels).
And finally, Dragapult is there to do Dragapult things and leave the field clear for Urshifu and Lele in the endgame.

Thanks for reading.

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Sword and Shield
:ss/Tapu_Lele: :ss/Landorus_Therian: :ss/Aegislash: :ss/Urshifu_Rapid_Strike: :ss/Dragapult: :ss/Moltres_Galar:
Wow. A scarf Tapu Lele offence, never seen before. Fast rundown of the team; Scarf Fsight Lele + Urshifu has always been a solid fat breaker core that also does well in clicking fast moonblasts vs offence, but I've swapped around the usual bulkier style with melmetal+zapdos to be more punishing to things that often beat out these styles. Opposing Scarf Lele and Specs Dragapults tend to really harm these type of offences, so I have 2 pokemon to abuse this factor. Lele builds risk allowing Aegislash free entry to claim a kill, which can push progress into your favor. Melmetal over Aegislash is more common, and while it is effective, against a handful of well prepared teams it doesn't provide the immediate "okay you lose one now" that Aegislash can. Opposing Dragapult clicking shadow ball, especially on offensive teams risks giving up an opportunity for a reverse sweep from Moltres. Landorus here is a quick rocks-and-kill; early kill claim on something like Zapdos/Tornadus/unsuspect Clefable or just chunking Corviknight and keeping rocks up really swings things in your favor. Dragapult rounds out in being a nuisance for balance with the ghost spam core and also just helping Lele + Goltres make offence mirrors a complete nightmare for the opponent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)