Suspect SS AAA Suspect Test #1: Zeraora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
:Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora::Zeraora:

It's time for our first suspect test in the Almost Any Ability metagame! After cleaning up the metagame via quickbans post-home, the AAA council allowed the dust to settle and see which threats rose to the top. In that time, one Pokemon took the sole position as the metagame's most fearsome Pokemon, and through some consultation, the council believe a suspect of Zeraora is in order. The combination of speed, power, coverage, and access to both physical and special sets make Zeraora a significant threat to all teams that don't have a dedicated Volt Absorb Pokemon (or stunfisk). The addition of Play Rough makes Kommo-o and other dragons entirely useless as a wall/soft check, and being able to outspeed Dragapult makes Zeraora fear no speed bar scarfers with base 80 speed or more. Although other threats continue to roam the AAA metagame, the council has decided that Zeraora was the most pressing issue at the moment and is why we have decided to suspect it before the next big OM tournament.

Suspect details: Suspects require you to achieve a certain GXE while playing over a certain amount of games. The trend with suspects is not using a suspect ladder, and just using the standard AAA ladder. Participants will therefore need to use a new alt to fulfill the requirements. More details below
  • All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! AAA ladder on a new alt acc with the following format: "ZAAA (Nick)." For example, I might register the alt ZAAA jrdn to ladder with. You must meet the listed format in order to qualify.
  • To qualify for voting, your alt must play a minimum of 25 games, and you must have a minimum GXE of 75.
  • Suspect test will end on April 9th (11:59pm EST). Zeraora will be allowed on the suspect ladder.
  • A super-majority of 60% ban is required for Zeraora to be banned
  • Post your proof of reqs and, if you wish, your stance on the matter briefly, in this thread.
    • you MUST FIRST AND FOREMOST PROVIDE AN IMAGE OF THE ALT WITH PROOF OF OWNERSHIP. This is important.
Feel free to share your thoughts on the suspect and please remember to remain civil and on topic. Voting will be held in the Blind Voting Forum so it is not necessary to cast your votes here, just post proof of reqs.

The Immortal tag!

Last edited:

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
1585352853037.png

Pretty straightforward. If you don’t bring volt absorb it pretty much becomes a matter of either doubling back and forth and relying on life orb chip, or hoping that your matchup allows you to constantly punish Zeraora for trying to come in—or prevents it from coming in altogether.
Plasma fists, Knock Off, Play Rough, Close Combat, Grass Knot are the main threats, but just as scary as those are the occasional bulk up or special set (jrdn’s aids sheer-force life orb one in particular). If you don’t have an answer of some sort, Zeraora will just poke holes into your team, especially because its 423 speed stat makes it the fastest non-boosted/choiced mon in the tier, outspeeding scarfed mons that aren’t faster than base 79 speed. All in all, I think Zera’s tendency to suffocate teambuilding and its coverage makes it certainly worth a ban. I don’t think the effect that Zeraora has on the meta as a whole is healthy, because yes there are hard counters, but I see having to run something as specific as (for example) volt absorb toxapex/corviknight/mantine when those mons would much rather have other abilities as an awful state of affairs.

S/o to whoever was running Mummy Obstagoon, you gave me an ulcer

Last edited:

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
View attachment 232003
It's my first suspect so I am not sure what to do to vote, if I say my opinion now or if it is later.
To clarify; the suspect voting will happen in a separate thread (you will receive a notification for this thread being made soon after the deadline). In that thread you would just be saying "Ban" or "No Ban" without giving reasoning.

If you would like to share your opinion on Zeraora, this thread is the place to do so, probably by editing your thoughts into your original post.

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
1585685124900.png

Got my reqs. Less bullish on banning this mon as others, but that's bc stunfisk is my son. Will keep an eye out for what others say as people get reqs

You might be wondering how I lost my 1 game. Was I outplayed? Have bad match up? Haxed perhaps? Alas you would be wrong, because didn't lose a single match. I was cruising and halfway through I wanted to check my progress.... and there was my 1 loss, just chilling there, completely uninvited to the party. Truly unfortunate way to miss out on the 30-0 25-0, but thems the breaks.

Anyway, the nature of OMs usually means that if something gets suspected, the council thinks it's busted. Weavile Zeraora is said buster pretty powerful. It completely limits team choices with the ridiculous power output of adaptability + CB not this but other sets. Pursuit is broken is hell (pursuit doesnt exist anymore smh)play rough is new, if it weren't for that, this pokemon wouldn't be getting suspected. Every ghost and psychic dragon type pokemon in the world is less viable because of the existence of this one pokemon. Consider Banning this boi

Last edited:

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
1585782090869.png

Definitely gonna go for ban on this one, this is too restricting for the tier and every time I see someone try to adapt to this they just open up gaping holes in the rest of their team because VA Pex and VA Corv are incredibly awkward to build with, esp using your Corv ability slot for Volt Absorb of all the things it might need to do is just ew. I've used some Stunfisk too and it's not awful but for me it would literally never be there without Zera, The only real semi-splashable check rn is Dshield Mew and that's just one mon, which also loses to special sets.

The fact that it takes advantage of meta staples really well makes it super difficult to keep out of the game if you're not running something similarly awkward as the mons I mentioned above, and if you aren't running those you're left trying to play around it, which AAA normally gives the tools to do against most threats, but the fact that Zeraora is so fast with the ability to OHKO or almost OHKO so many things with coverage, as well as access to really annoying moves such as Knock Off just make it very difficult to mid-ground against. The fact that I've seen so many people attempt to hard into Hippo when it can be straight up OHKOed by Grass Knot, just to get Zera to click something that isn't Plasma Fists speaks volumes to the risks you're forced to take and how obvious they can be to call out. Rewarding anyone who can think even one turn ahead in a game is honestly pretty lame to play against to the point where even though I dislike the lack of solid counterplay for Zera, I'll rarely ever build without a solid option because it's just not feasible to keep winning games against this mon by "outplaying" in the way it generally has been for most threats in AAA.

For now, Zera is the suspect that we're voting on, but I do feel like this meta's power level may need to be toned down a bit further by looking at some other things, I played a lot of pre-home and pretty much concluded that the offensive threat level of the meta was practically perfect, with just enough threats that were powerful in the right hands to make building comfortable for a range of playstyles. Then Pokemon Home decided to give us some dumb already banned stuff + Zera + Terrak and suddenly people are struggling to make teams that adequately cover both those mons and more importantly other staples to prep for in the meta, such as Poison Heal mons, Noivern, Mamoswine and even weather. Building teams that account for the way AAA games play out while also role compressing enough to beat the top threats is way too difficult. An example would be a stretch of teams I tried to build with Volt Absorb Corv where it was also tasked with being the removal of the team without any help; this doesn't work consistently because Rocks often go up, and from there your opponent will likely have a lot of options to pile on the pressure, while we chose abilities that limited our freedom to play out of bad matchups. I'll wait and see for what the meta's like after this is gone because Zeraora is definitely a big limiting factor, but I feel like we're just accounting for the mons and not for the game at this point, which can lead to some awful matchups.

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 8.16.09 PM.png

S/o Jrdn for the team I used. I frankly don't think I know the meta well enough to offer an in-depth opinion on Zeraora but from what i've seen, Zeraora's unique coverage options seem to severely limit the available defensive counterplay. At the end of the day, I love me some Stunfisk but it's not exactly the ideal defensive mon to be running and Zeraora is the ONLY reason it is on teams to my knowledge because oof how difficult it is to find decent consistent checks. Not 100% sure yet but leaning ban I think AAA needs some help to balance all of these new threats post-home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)