Squishy Rain

Introduction
So this is the first team that I've really submitted on here in a while. Mostly because I'm self concious about don't want people calling me a butthead D:. But this is the first team I've ever actually successfully laddered with. I managed to peak around 1400 on PO (I know that's not really much, but hey it was my first time ever so I'm going to enjoy my moment of glory. Anyway, If whether you'd like to actually help me with my team or if you're reading along to have a giggle at my bad team building skills read up, and have enjoy yourself.

At A Glance...

Team Building Process
My first decision was to find a core to build around. Actually I lied, my first decision was who to pair Reuniclus up with as a core. I mean look at that thing it's so friggen cute. It's just asking you to hug it so it can suffocate you in its plasma (or jello? body).

TR Reuniclus has always been a pokemon that has taken a shine to me. Conkeldurr, it's main partner in crime... not so much. Therefore I wanted to go a different route. I wanted to roll with something that could devastate my opponents but wouldn't be completely screwed if I decided to go with everyone's favourite Deku Scrub, Breloom.

From here I needed to support the two of them. They're really both fantastic sweepers, but they hazard support, especially when it comes to dealing with threats like Scizor or Dragonite. I initially started with Ferrothorn, but decided to go to Forretress afterwards. Unfortunately, I found myself missing Ferrothorn's overall defensive prowess so the ... iron ball? pokemon found itself as the third pokemon on my team.

Next, I noticed I lost to sun teams. I mean seriously Specs Ninetales OHKO's all 3 of my aforementioned pokemon. My solution to this was to slap a Politoed on my team, and take it in the direction of a rain team. Besides, the rain helps both Breloom and Ferro.

Next I needed to cover dragons. Sure I had ferrothorn, but Ferro didn't really address DD users that could kill it before GyroBall could do its stuff. I chose Thundurus-T to alleviate this problem.

Lastly, I needed something to beat Jirachi, specifically the defensive set, among other threats. I decided I might as well abuse the rain while I have it, and chose Keldeo as the final member of my team.

In Depth Analysis

Alright, so Politoed gets the ball rolling simply just by being on the field because of it's amazing ability in Drizzle. Rain is sorta the glue to this team, as it allows me to deal with Fire pokemon whom I would usually have trouble with otherwise. I elected to take a physically defensive route, since I was having difficulties dealing with Dragons once Ferrothorn was out. Politoed takes a +1 outrage from Dragonite like a champ and can either go for a burn (if I see no Lum Berry), or the kill with Ice Beam. Most of the times against something that's locked into Outrage, I'll opt to go with Ice beam for the sake of removing the threat as soon as possible. Scald dishes a fair amount of damage given the lack of SAtk investment, and the 30% burn chance is really always nice. Using Protect allows me to stall out burns or dragons locked in outrage, as well as scout moves and items. Lastly Perish Song gives me the opportunity to force set up sweepers that I would normally have problems with out, until I can deal with them appropriately.

On the Debbie Downer side, I find often times that I'm using Politoed specifically just to set the weather and that it doesn't carry much weight otherwise. Sometimes I feel like I would benefit in running a Scarf Toed instead, but having something that can (sorta) take hits is pretty nice.

Come on this is the cutest iddy biddy Nuclei ever, right? Anyway, at first I was completely sceptical (why on earth doesn't that look right) of this set, because I always assumed that it was frail and would pretty much die unless it flat out KO'd anything that my opponent sent out. But after seeing it used against me I started to use it on my own teams and I friggen love it. It's so retardedly powerful. All I do is wait for a chance to switch in safely (either off a VT, or on a NFE attack, and throw Trick Room up. I'll usually choose to either send Reuniclus out early or very late game, depending on my opponents team. If I see that Keldeo is going to tear through my opponents teams no problem, I'll use Reuniclus early on to weak them, so that Keldeo can simply power through them afterwards. Otherwise, I'll save Reuniclus for as long as I can, and bring him out after something's diedl and clean up. I decided to run with Psychic over Psyshock, because the drop in power is really noticable. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball round out Reuniclus' perfect coverage. Normally I put HP Fire over Shadow Ball, but really I don't see much use for it as Genesect got dumped off to the Uber tier. 0 Speed IV's as well as a Quiet Nature mean pretty much that only Ferrothorn (and the odd ass hole Escavalier) are going to be outspeeding me under TR.

When I built my team I really -really- did not want to go with Conkeldurr, because I really don't like it.. much.. or at all. So Breloom was my next choice, pairing pretty well with Reuniclus. I went with this specific EV spread, to reach a speed of 246, which outspeeds Adamant Banded Nite, as well as Bulky non scarf Rotom's. The moveset is pretty standard to say the least. Spore because really, 100% accurate sleep inducing move is fantastic; along with a combination of Bullet Seed and Mach Punch don't really good coverage, but all of that is irrelevant with Swords Dance. This allows me to effectively stop most Sub users (other than maybe latias) and still hit them thanks to BS.

If there was anything really about Breloom that I could change it would be his item. To be honest, I didn't want to use a Life Orb because of the recoil, and I thought a boosted first Mach Punch would really help me out. However I've been looking for a suitable replacement for it instead.

Ferrothorn represents my counter to Dragons, Rain teams, and my Hazard setter, all in one really. While Forretress gave me the ability to spin away hazards, I couldn't overlook the typing advantage Ferrothorn had when it came to dealing with water moves that my team struggled to counter. Seriously this thing is such a freakin tank. I almost always manage to get my Rocks up, and any Spikes on top of that is just a bonus, which really helps with it comes to my offensive pokemon ploughing their way through other teams. The EV spread maximizes it's bulk, while a Relaxed nature gives it a stronger Gyro Ball, and Power Whip helps me deal with pokemon like Jellicent and other Bulky Waters, even if it gets burnt. Unfortunately, I couldn't fit Leech Seed onto his moveset, so my only means of recovery are via Leftovers. It really is a shame that it doesn't get Rapid Spin, but maybe X&Y will give Ferrothorn that opportunity. Another move that I really wanted to put on Ferrothorn was Bulldoze. I learned from a different RMT (I think it was SC22's, but anyway) that with 92 Attack EVs Bulldoze will always break SubCM Rachi's substitutes, effectively giving me a way to counter it. Oddly enough, I haven't run into any SCM Jirachi's so I'm not really sure how my team fares against it.

Thundurus-T represents a few things on my team. Firstly, I almost always (literally almost always) will go to this pokemon as my lead, because I prefer starting things off with something that has access to Volt/Turn to react to their own lead. Thundurus-T allows me not only to absorb electrical attacks (a big &*(% you to TWave right here), but revenge kill pokemon thanks to it's Choice Scarf. This lets me kill +1 Dragonite once multiscale is broken as well as outright OHKO Breloom with HP Ice, both of which can really pick holes in my team. Volt Switch maintain's momentum , and Thunder allows me to pack an extra wallop against my opponent when I'm not looking to switch out. Finally, Focus Blast lets me break through Steels and Tyranitar. I originally went with Thunderbolt instead of Thunder since I was afraid of losing weather wars, but I find the difference between Thunder & Thunderbolt to be too big, and the difference between Tbolt and VoltSwitch to be too minimal. Gastrodon is usually the common switch in to Thundy-T, but Ferrothorn and Breloom both handle it pretty well.

The last pokemon on my team is Keldeo. Specs Kelly was something I had never seen used to before, but often heard others talk about, so I was eager to give it a try, since my team for the most part struggles with specially defensive jirachi. But holy crap this thing hit's like a truck, even out of the rain. Hydro Pump and Secret Sword are obligatory STAB's to Keldeo, giving it crazy overwhelming coverage. My last two moves were more optional choices for me, but are completely open to suggestion. Firstly I decided to go with Icy Wind, since really, my team isn't that fast outside of Thundy-T, and really appreciates the speed drop from my opponents. (i.e Lati@s, DDNite). My second choice was to run HP Electric over HP Ghost. My first reason was because I'm already hitting everything I want to with a pseudo bolt-beam. And secondly because I fucking hate having to deal with Tentacruel and Jellicent. Tentacruel would often found ways to switch into on Keldeo and spin all my hazards away, before managing to burn either Breloom or Ferrothorn, since I'm very hesitant to pull Reuniclus out early. Using HP Electric allows me to easily 2HKO both Jellicent and Tentacruel, while still hitting everything else I need to. Really, once Jellicent and opposing Ferrothorn's are out, I pretty much line them up and break through them with Hydro Pump.

Conclusion
Again, I know this might not be a really good team, but I really did enjoy building and testing it. I really would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Some threats I've come across are:
Volcarona: can be a pain in the ass if it sets up and carries Giga Drain.
Deoxys-D: I really don't know how to beat the suicide lead. It's so bulky, and I don't really have anything that can cleanly remove it before it gets up atleast Rocks and a layer of Spikes.
Lucario: If it gets a Swords Dance in I don't think there's anything on my team that can beat it as (IIRC) +2 ESpeed OHKO's Breloom and Thundurus-T after rocks.

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Thundurus-T (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Protect

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Breloom (F) @ Fight Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

hi askjeevs! good team
possible changes--->LEAD TERRAKION>reuniclus focus sash|taunt/stone edge/close combat/stealth rock
that is for setup hazard and manteing momentum...really good for this team and against deo-d team
fight core:breloom/keldeo/terrakion
SCIZOR>ferrothorn----> life orb| bug bite/bullet punch/sword dance/superpower
evs:252 atk 252 spd
that is a good choice for okho on sdef jirachi,ferrothorn,gastrodon ecc...and this is good for keldeo water spam
kELDEO---> choice scarf>choice specs because this in combo whit scizor will kill a lot of dragon and whit rain will outspeed and kill a lot of treath(like garchomp,landorus,salamence,thundurus-t,tornadus ecc..)
THUNDURUS---->life orb>choice scarf nasty plot/thunder/focus blast/hidden power ice
that will kill celebi,blissey,jellycent for keldeo
POLITOED--->choice specs>leftovers hydro pump/ice beam/hidden power grass for the last slot focus blast/surf
this is the raw power the first stage for open the road to keldeo
sorry for my bad english,and my little descriptions but i don't have so much times!
gl whit the team

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi

You mention Deoxys-D as a threat, and I can definitely say that it does look threatening. In fact, I'd say that most Spikers are a huge threat to your team. It's fairly easy to set up Spikes and Stealth Rock against your team since Deoxys-D can pretty much set up both every time and Ferrothorn has a ton of opportunities to set up against like Thundurus-T and Politoed. Furthermore, you're going to be switching around a lot since your Pokemon pretty much all have hard counters (except for Reuniclus), which means you can't stay in against them. Unfortunately, there aren't many ways to deal with entry hazards other than having a way to get rid of them, or to be able to prevent them. I think that there's one Rapid Spinner that could fit your team well though. I think that Choice Specs Starmie would be a great choice over your current Keldeo. While Keldeo is much more powerful and has better STABs, Starmie has a few advantages that makes it more worthwile for your team imo. The main one is obviously Rapid Spin, so you can get rid of Spikes and Stealth Rock, but it's also slightly faster, making it more suitable for late game sweeping, and has Thunder as a neat coverage move. Trick is also great to cripple something like Ferrothorn or Blissey or whatever.

I don't really understand the HP investment on Breloom; to me it looks pretty useless. Breloom is really frail so it's not taking a hit anyway. I think that tying with other Jolly Breloom and max Speed Politoed is much more important, as Breloom could be really annoying for your team to face, and not getting KO'ed by Choice Specs Surf is cool.

I'd really go for a Timid nature on Thundurus-T. While the extra power from Modest is cool, you can't outspeed max Speed Salamence with it, so it can end up sweeping your team if Ferrothorn is weakened. With Timid, you will be able to outspeed any Salamence, which is definitely cool. You also get the jump on any Scarf Jirachi and gain the ability to tie with opposing Thundurus-T. The power drop isn't that big, so it's definitely something you could consider.

One thing you really need to run on Politoed is Toxic over Ice Beam. With Toxic, Politoed can lure in and cripple Jellicent, which is the main Keldeo switch in (it's really annoying for Starmie too), so you get to support your team with this. Ice Beam really only is for Dragonite as everything else lols at it anyway, and I think you can deal with Dnite alright, but Jellicent is going to be much more of a pain to deal with.

Here's the set you should use:

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Natural Cure
Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Hydro Pump
~Thunder
~Rapid Spin
~Trick

Good luck!

hey there, thanks for the rate! Starmie was a poke I considered while building my team, but I think it would make me overly week to Volcarona, who can set up on pretty much the rest of my team. ill give it a try though, thanks!

Hi, there

The team I see a little 'weak to entry hazards, also see that the team have two Pokemon Grass, I deliver thee Breloom for Tentacruel with Scald - Substitute - Toxic - Rapid Spin 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd Bold that perfectly stable Jellicent, and which in addition to the Spikes and Toxic Spikes which removes just enter in the field the latter is mainly used to remove Stealth Rock that between a Volt Switch and the other weaken too Thundurus-T.

Then I suggest you try Surf> Hidden Power Electric on Keldeo and Hidden Power Ice> Icy Wind, because this server is not always the power of Hydro Pump to get the KO of certain Pokemon, especially under the rain with Choice Specs most of the time you can to be safe to use Surf has 100% accuracy in rain + Choice Specs + STAB is still very bad, while Hidden power Ice has more power than Icy Wind, the latter has the advantage that only slows down but not always all 'opponent thing when it happens Hidden power Ice for more power is almost always better.

To put the T-Thundurus Timid> Modest not to come superari in speed by other possible Scarfer as Jirachi or Salamence for example. Politoed to suggest these evs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd to outrun Scizor and when being KO, kill him using Scald.

hey Mr. Green,

I'm sceptical about running Tentacruel over Breloom. It's seem more like it's there only to rapid spin and doesn't have much purpose other than that, where as breloom gives me a reliable revenge killer. Could you elaborate on why I should go for Tentacruel instead?

Keldeo's Surf does seem a lot safer than HP, but HP Electric allows me to 2HKO Jellicent. But I will try it out and see what works for me.

I've made the switch to both Thundurus-T and Politoed
thanks for the assistance! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)