Pokémon Squawkabilly

BE9EE555-52D6-42D4-BE35-DDF0BDCE53A0.jpeg

Squawkabilly

Type:
Normal / Flying

Base Stats: 82 HP / 96 Atk / 51 Def / 45 SpA / 51 SpD / 92 Spe

Abilities: Guts (Green/Blue Forms) / Sheer Force (Yellow/White Forms) / Hustle / Intimidate

Notable Moves:
- Double-Edge
- Tera Blast
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-Turn
- Taunt
- Parting Shot

Pros:
- Most of its abilities are great, especially Guts.
- Access to high-power base moves such as STAB Guts-boosted Facade and Brave Bird helps mediate its otherwise mediocre Attack stat.
- Has both U-Turn and Parting Shot to pivot.
Cons:
- Incredibly subpar stats all around, with terrible bulk, below average Attack stat by OU standards, and only okay speed.
- Has non-existent coverage, forcing it to rely on Tera Blast.
- Normal/Flying is a bad typing offensively and defensively, giving it a weakness to Stealth Rock as well as vulnerable to common attacking types like Electric and Ice, while giving it a poor STAB combination offensively, as both are walled by Rock and Steel types.
- It having it to run a Flame Orb makes it easily worn down, especially on top of its only valid Flying type move causing recoil.
- Almost everything it does is directly outclassed by Staraptor outside of absorbing burns.

Terastal Potential:
- In order to give it the coverage it needs and get rid of its weakness to Electric, Ice, and, Rock type moves, it should become a Tera Fighting type. Fighting type Tera Blast counters Steel and Rock types that try to switch in such as Tyranitar and Corviknight.

Potential Sets:

Guts Attacker

Squawkabilly @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 At / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Tera Blast
- U-Turn/Parting Shot/Quick Attack

This should be Squawkabilly’s primary set, taking advantage of its access to STAB Guts-boosted Facade. Brave Bird and Facade are very strong and can do decent damage to most mons that don’t resists it. Fighting type Tera Blast takes down any Rock or Steel types that attempt to switch in, as they would otherwise wall it. The last set is somewhat flexible. U-Turn and Parting Shot are pivoting moves, either dealing chip damage or lowering the opponent’s offenses to make it safer for another Pokémon to switch in, as well as possibly forcing the opponent to swap out. Alternatively, Quick Attack gives Squawkabilly some much needed priority against faster opponents to make up for its middling speed.

Other Options:
- Hustle is another strong ability that boosts the power of its moves while also not forcing it to run a Flame Orb, but it’s very unreliable due to the lowered accuracy, and Squawkabilly is too frail to afford to miss any moves. Not to mention Guts-boosted Facade is far stronger than any of its Hustle boosted moves, even with a Life Orb.
- Roost can help it deal with getting worn down by status, entry hazards, and recoil more easily, but Squakabilly’s bulk is so awful that it rarely makes a difference, and wasting a turn recovering often just makes it even more vulnerable to getting revenge killed.
- Tera Normal may seem like a cool idea to make Facade hit even harder, but without the extra coverage, Squawkabilly is too easily walled.

Overall Thoughts:
Sadly, Squawkabilly is most likely ending up at the bottom or near-bottom tier. Its poor stats and typing do not help matters with the current power creep and offensively-oriented metagame. However, considering Chatot had decent success as a PU or ZU mon in the past and has a similar role, I can Squawkbilly potentially making a splash there. But it certainly no has no chance for OU.

Last edited:
I wonder if some sort of support set could work in ZU or wherever. A fast-ish pivot with Intimidate and Taunt.

Squawkabilly @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn / Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Foul Play / Tailwind
- Quick Attack / Brave Bird

Also I think you should mention in the post that only the Green and Blue variants get Guts. Yellow and White get Sheer Force which is essentially useless as the only Physical attack that makes use of it is Pounce.

I wonder if some sort of support set could work in ZU or wherever. A fast-ish pivot with Intimidate and Taunt.

Squawkabilly @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn / Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Foul Play / Tailwind
- Quick Attack / Brave Bird

Also I think you should mention in the post that only the Green and Blue variants get Guts. Yellow and White get Sheer Force which is essentially useless as the only Physical attack that makes use of it is Pounce.
Ah yeah I forgot.

Is it just me or does it seem absolutely insane that this thing gets Intimidate AND Parting Shot? It's almost like having a Memento that doesn't kill you. What if you run this Jolly, +252 Speed, +252 Attack with a Choice Scarf and just Intimidate plus Parting Shot pivot into other Pokemon to help them set up? You also have the option of Brave Bird and Double Edge/Giga Impact for when you want to just suicide bomb the bird into the enemy.
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Is it just me or does it seem absolutely insane that this thing gets Intimidate AND Parting Shot? It's almost like having a Memento that doesn't kill you. What if you run this Jolly, +252 Speed, +252 Attack with a Choice Scarf and just Intimidate plus Parting Shot pivot into other Pokemon to help them set up? You also have the option of Brave Bird and Double Edge/Giga Impact for when you want to just suicide bomb the bird into the enemy.
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
I thought of a similar set, but with U-turn in addition, so you can just KO things that are already super weakened and not risk sacrificing a scarf if that's what you need to do. That being said, the Bird is probably not OU material, but I do look forward to being able to use the shiny white one with shiny female Oinkolone in whatever much lower tier they wind up in. They match perfectly, color wise, and it makes my brain very happy.

Squawkabilly-White @ Focus Sash
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird / Double Edge

Well, at least it's not as bad as Spidops.
Honestly I think all mons this gen except Spidops, Oinkolonge, and possibly Wugtrio and Dachbun will be somewhat viable in whatever tier they end up in. It’s really surprising how strong the Pokémon are this gen considering most of gens 7 and 8 ended up in untiered. Squawkabilly is terrible by OU standards for sure but it can be possibly threatening in ZU or PU, assuming the power creep hasn’t caught up that much.

I thought of a similar set, but with U-turn in addition, so you can just KO things that are already super weakened and not risk sacrificing a scarf if that's what you need to do. That being said, the Bird is probably not OU material, but I do look forward to being able to use the shiny white one with shiny female Oinkolone in whatever much lower tier they wind up in. They match perfectly, color wise, and it makes my brain very happy.

Squawkabilly-White @ Focus Sash
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird / Double Edge
Interesting idea. I never think of niche sets like this. I usually just write whatever sets immediately come to mind.

Choice Scarf Hustle Squawkabilly is really the only set worth using. It is just too fragile and slow to do anything else. It is actually one of the most powerful pokemon in the game with Hustle factoring in to have about base 170 attack.

It doesn't have a lot of options to deal with Steel/rock types though. Also many times it can't afford a miss since most attacks with KO it. Starapator is better in most circumstances though

Squawkabilly @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy/Fighting
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SpD
Impish Nature
-Brave Bird/Facade
-Tera Blast
-Roost
-Parting Shot

I have used this defensive set with some decent success. Factoring in its ability it does have good physical bulk but it needs to entry hazards to be off the field to make the most of it. What sets it apart from other pokemon is Parting shot+Intimidate along with recovery so it can go head to head with many physical attackers. BB does pretty good damage for a wall and hits most things for good damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)