Metagame [SPOILERS] Scarlet & Violet OU Discussion [BAN LIST POST 626]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
How quickly can something can be banned after a new generation's meta starts? If terastilization, flutter mane, etc turn out to be broken, could they get banned literally the day after gen 9 is added, or is there a certain time they wait before banning stuff? I'm pretty sure dynamax was the first thing to get banned but I'm not sure how long that took to get banned.
typically it takes a day or two but really depends how broken it ends up being

palafin when it sees a slowtwin

yall are massively overhyping this thing. i thought it was broken before but that’s because i thought it was water/fairy lol. mon is like, solidly alright. jet punch is its best characteristic, but beyond that i don’t see it being particularly overwhelming for any well-built OU team. edit: also if your band mon is running zen headbutt as coverage and not cleanly 2HKOing pex, you’ve got a problem.

Could be OU like Ash-Greninja. Prolly gonna be UUBL in all honesty. Who knows? Maybe the paradox OU meta game will be power crept like hell. We dont know much of anything for sure, but we got some solid newcomers is what I will say

Palafin has essentially no ability, and its best attacking move (Wave Crash) has recoil. People need to stop acting like its second coming of Dracovish. It's not.

There are far better and stronger wallbreakers out there this gen. BST ain't everything folks (cries in pre-Gen 8 Kyurem-B)

Palafin has essentially no ability, and its best attacking move (Wave Crash) has recoil. People need to stop acting like its second coming of Dracovish. It's not.

There are far better and stronger wallbreakers out there this gen. BST ain't everything folks (cries in pre-Gen 8 Kyurem-B)
Exactly, everyone thinks it's so broken

Probably not too OU relevant overall, but in absence of a UU SV speculation thread, what do people think about Sharpness Gallade or Hisuian Samurott?

Gallade seems to have made out really well in the generation shift, between gaining Agility for the option of cleaning sets, Sharpness boosting a lot of his Movepool (including 2 very good STAB options now), and being one of the Pokemon allowed to retain Knock Off access by way of Ralts's egg move pool. Most of his viable movepool is now sitting at the equivalent of 100-120 BP before STAB or type effectiveness, and Sacred Sword over Close Combat very slightly improves his survivability against Priority or lower-power Utility mons looking for set up chances. Might finally be able to make UU for a Wallbreaking set maybe, while all the new-Gen Power Creep is upstairs.

Samurott meanwhile benefits mostly on his STABs with things like Razor Shell and Ceaseless Edge, the latter of which can lay Spikes while attacking, so I could see a niche as quite the offensive Spiker in NU or RU for it.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
So... me? Listen, I just figured out competitive Pokemon exists. I'm just excited for chad dolphin
Dont worry bro, i entered seriously last year and havent learned anything at all :blobthumbsup:
i mean, i didnt followed the meta as hard (mainly because personal problems) but this year is gonna be better
try to make yourself a goat, like create a team that workss, or make some dumb shit and win
or even just abusing flutter mane untill gets banned, who know
at least my goal this gen will be to create a team good enough to take me to high ladder

As a reminder, Gallade got a massive buff with Sharpness:

Without Sharpness, Toxapex can recover off Gallade's best STAB:
252 Atk Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 120-144 (39.4 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

With Sharpness:
252 Atk Gallade Psycho Cut (105 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 180-212 (59.2 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Oh, and Sacred Sword becomes 135 BP (before STAB) that ignores defense boosts and has no drawbacks

Lacks the set versatility but functionally hits a lot harder than Iron Valiant on the physical side. I think Scarf and AV sets might both have a role to play in early OU.

Gardevoir might also have a niche, as Scarf Healing Wish and copying weather-based abilities with Trace are both really powerful in offense-oriented metas (and there are a ton of scary new Dark and Fighting types running around that don't appreciate eating a moonblast).
As a Gallade enthusiast, this is amazing. No doubt Sharpness is a crazy ability in it's own right but this alone probably brings Gallade up to at least NU. It's still frail and has middling speed but it could honestly be something crazy in lower tiers. Gallade already is B rank in NU even in its emaciated state, so giving it the ability to throw around 203 BP Sacred Swords is pretty damn nuts.

Scarf would be interesting in OU but the power level's probs way to high for it. Hell even if you wanted to run Scarf on a Fighting Type, you'd wanna go for an objectively better one like Iron Valiant or hell even Urshifu. AV does work well with its high naturally high SpDef, but then again it's not that specially tanky, still has dead physical bulk without Bulk Up, and it's typing leaves it with little to no tools to work with bar a SR resistance.

So yeah, definitely gonna make some noise in lower tiers once they form, but the way things look now I can't see it being good in OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)