Tournaments SPL XV ADV Discussion

1704855280756.png

approved by Vapicuno

The first week of SPL is going to start this Sunday, so ADV officially has a discussion thread! After recent discussions around the tier, it's going to be interesting to see who brings what! Our most consistent SPL players like McMeghan are going to be up against relative newcomers their first time starting, but here is the perfect place to discuss matchups, teams and sets, metagame trends, and anything else related to the tournament.

Commencement Thread
SPL Schedule
Auction Results:
1704855847407.png

(note that the Tyrants have Mada over imperfectluck)

Projected starters in ADV:
1704856047092.png
Team Raiders: McMeghan
1704856091393.png
Stark Sharks: Mako
1704856188532.png
Congregation of the Classiest: BIHI
1704856390897.png
Alpha Ruiners: baddummy
1704856199989.png
Wi-Fi Wolfpack: robjr
1704856209582.png
Ever Grande BIGs: Triangles
1704856222884.png
Circus Maximus Tigers: M Dragon
1704856238700.png
Indie Scooters: SEA
1704856250031.png
Cryonicles: Leo
1704856265975.png
Dragonspiral Tyrants: pkThunderbolt

McMeghan - 25500
Triangles - 20000
M Dragon - 20000
BIHI - 17000
baddummy - 10000
SEA - 9500
Mako - 9500
robjr - 7000
pkThunderbolt - 3000
Leo - 3000
Discuss to your hearts content!

ADV PR by ADV zoomer.

The best of the best
1. McMeghan [CI 3-2] [ADVR 2nd] [SPL XIV 8-2] [ADV Cup Winner].
He is the best for sure here, a very seasoned veteran who can wield any team structure possible and is hard to prep for as an effect. He doesn't really have support on the roster but I don't think he needs it to begin with so that shouldn't be an issue. He also had a pretty good run in ADVR and a winning cup run to accentuate this. I don't think anyone should be surprised to see him at number one, come on guys it's McMeghan.
The coming for the throne guys
2. SEA (Sadlysius) [CI 2nd 5-2] [ADVR N/A] [SPL XIV N/A] [ADV Cup N/A].
It is true, I am ranking SEA above Baddummy despite her losing to rick in CI finals. I think SEA is more than ready to be coming for McMeghans throne at the top. She even has the coveted Sadlysius support who has had a stellar CI themselves as well. SEA is known for the extra spicy picks i.e. Rapidash which can get a real edge in these bo1 tournaments. I think Sadly will be able to help keep her in control to not go complete bonkers with a full on UU team or something.
3. Baddummy (Fakes) [CI Winner 8-1] [ADVR N/A] [SPL XIV N/A] [ADV Cup top 128].
An insanely dominant run in CI, starting all the way back in play-ins is Baddummy's claim to fame this year. With his only loss being to SEA who he beat in winner's finals and also in the finals reset, it is looking very good for the man who might be rick astley. He has played in SPL before but that was already some years ago but to my knowledge, he was never a real starter. So this might be his first campaign as a real SPL starter. Expectations are set high for him but I think he will be able to convert those expectations into wins. His only critique is that he has "Boring" team choices which might be capitalizable by his opponents' preparation in this tournament. Perhaps Fakes could influence this when he's (not) drunk.

The you could have a good season but it could also easily go south guys
4. robjr (ABR, Star) [CI 3-2] [ADVR N/A] [SPL XIV 4-3] [ADV Cup 2nd]
robjr has always been a serviceable player in SPL and he's been in ADV for some time now. However I don't think he has ever been ranked this highly in an ADV pr before. He had a good year with a positive CI and a great run in Cup as well. I think he has really levelled up and upped his game in ADV compared to the year before as it seems he is getting better every year. Support from all-time ADV greats in ABR and Star should propel his success even more. However many will remember him start off not so hot last year until he got on a 3 game winning streak in playoff deciding games. Hopefully he will keep up his pace but for now I'm still keeping him in this very volatile subgroup.
5. BIHI (Fear, Isza) [CI 1-2] [ADVR top 128] [SPL XIV 5-2] [ADV Cup top 128]
BIHI was really good in SPL last year and surprised many ADV'ers. Perhaps we shouldn't have been surprised given his all time SPL records. But ever since then I have not been as inspired by him as I was before. A top 128 in both ADVR and Cup isn't really something to write home about for someone of his level. Same for his CI which was actually negative. I still have faith in him though as reflected by my placement in the upper half of the rankings but he isn't as hot to me as post SPL XIV BIHI was. Hopefully this year he will cook up another mon into relevance like he did with Registeel as that is what I hope to see again from him.
6. Mako (TDK) [CI N/A][ADVR top 32] [SPL XIV N/A] [ADV Cup top 8]
Mako is a wildcard and wildcards are usually not trusted upon. But I think Mako can go about even or even positive. Whilst she doesn't have many accolades in ADV, when she does play it she has shown to be good. I think she will do pretty well but I haven't placed her as high as I would've liked to see. The main reason for that is the absence of Sadlysius in this team because they work together very well. Whilst I don't know if not being on the same team will stop them from collaborating in private messages I think it does hinder Mako's capabilities a bit. The other support that would be on the team would be from TDK who has played ADV before but I feel like it has been some good time ago since TDK was active in ADV. That being said Mako can take this pool by storm but can also get lost in the storm of the teambuilder which justifies a middle of the pack rating.
7. Triangles (Gilbert Arenas, PDC, Zokuru) [CI 0-2] [ADVR top 32] [SPL XIV 6-4] [ADV Cup top 64].
Perhaps I'm too harsh on Triangles with this ranking, in fact I definitely am but here we are. A positive SPL last year and generally one of the known ADV heads in the scene has amassed a positive all time record in SPL. However much like BIHI, post SPL XIV it hasn't been that great for him as you'd expect. He does consistently play ladder and consistently has owned me using CB Zapdos for fun on ladder so I have to give him some credits. I do think that within this category from 4-8 anyone could realistically be shuffled around and that this is a very close pool of players.
8. M Dragon (Garay oak, RealJester, z0mOG) [CI 0-2] [ADVR N/A] [SPL XIV N/A] [ADV Cup N/A]
You will call me crazy but yes I did rank M Dragon 8th on this pr. He who has invented the entire tier has not been seen a lot on ADV lately and in CI he even loaded a hexaband team during his quick 0-2 exit. His legendary status of a player has a bit faded away but I would totally not be surprised if we see M Dragon stomp the pool with like 7 wins in the end. It must also not be forgotten that he does have the support from several ADV talents which could help out in prep but also if he needs to sub out (into a different tier).

The hopefully you will be able to subvert expectations guys
9. pkThunderbolt (CyberOdin) [CI 1-2] [ADVR top 128] [SPL XIV 0-2] [ADV Cup top 128]
I wish I had something better to write about pk but I don't. He didn't really have a good year besides helping HumYum get to a 4th place in Revival? Does that even count as something good. I know the potential is there but in a pool full of competitive top players its gonna be hard to rank him above others. I also do not know if CyberOdin speaks English, maybe I'm completely wrong on this though. CyberOdin is also pretty known for using a lot of the same teams which is pretty counterteamable so I don't know if that will help him. pk himself also has built up a reputation with a lot of the same style of teams which could be exploited too. This is the moment for pk to really step up and I truly hope he does do that.
10. Leo (Conflict, Hclat*) [CI (play-ins) 1-2] [ADVR top 64] [SPL XIV N/A] [ADV Cup top 128]
Leo himself has said him playing ADV was bait. But somehow his own managers have fallen for this bait. This does not bode well for him. Besides Mako in this pool, Leo is the only one to never play in CI main event. But unlike mako who just never participated in the tour, Leo has been stuck in play-ins for the past 2 years. Admittedly he has had to play very solid players in those play-ins, CyberOdin last year and this year Baddummy who went on to win the tournament. Unfortunately even in the rebound he got to still make it to main event he missed out by losing to Caloom. But I do not think all hope is lost for him, he has shown good potency before by making finals of a seasonal last year so maybe he can get back into that form of play and he can be a dark horse. Besides that he also has access to teams from Hclat who is locked out to play ADV until playoffs.

some adv prs by someone who is substantially better than ojr and has achieved more than him too (jk hes the bro)

1) McMeghan

His name is McMeghan, but everybody calls him Roro. Clear number 1, no german in ADV this tour, so he should be quite safe. Obvious #1 pick.

2) Baddummy

Going all the way from undeservedly being in CI playins to win the whole thing, then taking a break to let someone else win some money too, was under the radar for way too long and is now out here taking names. Not only great tournament performance but also the best ladderer this year, always on top with often big margins to rank 2. Also with a Top5 adv player on his side this has to go well.

3) pkThunderbolt

Seems to have acquired a pretty good understanding about the tier and has successfully lured everyone into thinking "hes gonna forre!". Might need a game or two to understand what spl is actually about and adapt, but that should go well being on a team with many experienced players. Also has the highest motivation with his girlfriend actively watching.

4) Triangles

Under expectation performance in the most recent sample, ADV Revival, not just placing wise but gameplay wise, especially the set vs BKC was weirdly poor. With the rest of the people not being that strong, the fundamentals and some practice should ensure a good record though.

5) M Dragon

Similar story to Triangles, might be carried by the lower bottom of the pool not being it, but kinda lacking any recent games/results? The 0-2 CI exit was not just poor record wise, but the approach to the games was quite lacking too. Monoband for the lulz show poor mindset, bad involvement or both. Peak M Dragon should have a relatively easy time, let's see if current M Dragon will struggle or keep up.

6) SEA

A playstyle consisting of heavy counterteaming, weird picks to throw your opponent off guard, while leaving open big holes, as seen in CI finals, only work until people figure it out. Question is, does this adv pool have what it takes to figure it out? Some might say being a variance player is better for bo1 tours like this, but the variance can backfire just as much and the inconsistencies should get punished a lot here, by the upper half of the pool who understand the game at least.

7) Robjr

Weird one, never seemed to be that confident and secure in this tier, even after 7? 8? years of ADV playing. Had some shiny moments in the recent past, but that might just be a byproduct of a big sample size of playing so much for so long.

8) BIHI

Places 5-8 could honestly have gone in any permutation and look valid, but as the only one who has played advr, some poor performances are stronger present in the short term memory. Maybe Fear might carry this slow with good work, but not much trust in that here.

9) Mako

...unless?? She's the goat and has the highest skill ceiling. I hope she proves me wrong as she is a BIGs legend.

10) Leo

??? And what happened here? Very weird troll purchase when great ADV players were still in the pool for free (Jabba??). At best this ADV slot will bring enough Ninjask troll teams and even get a win or two vs some of these players that the ADV community finally gets their ban

Predictions for week 1:
ADV OU: baddummy vs SEA
ADV OU: BIHI vs pkThunderbolt
ADV OU: Leo vs M Dragon
ADV OU: McMeghan vs Mako
ADV OU: robjr vs Triangles

Short W1 'Dicts before the games happen this week, hopefully I can write more next week.
ADV OU: baddummy vs SEA HL MU of the week. The CI Finals repeat but now in a bo1. I think in the finals where it was bo5, ricks style of play being more consistency based was more favorable for him. In a bo1 setting I see SEA nabbing it with some rapidash-esque bullshit.
ADV OU: BIHI vs pkThunderbolt The last year Scooters core now has to face off. I expect this to be one of the longer games of the week, and I feel BIHI just tends to not mess up those.
ADV OU: Leo vs RealJester M Dragon this is just a lame case of experience in the tier. Leo isnt a noob but I still think he is quite behind on mdrag in this tier. Jester also more experienced than Leo in ADV, he should also have this.
ADV OU: McMeghan vs Mako Mako will grow into this season but at w1 Roro is too big of a wall to climb.
ADV OU: robjr vs Triangles I believe this is perceived as an upset but as reflected by own pr's I think rob has this. rob is kinda saucing it up in the past year and dante isnt unfortunately.

Last edited:
Rough Predictions: I'll be putting in an odds split w/ the assumption of no game warping luck. These are just my rough thoughts, I hope I don't come off as rude.

Baddummy vs SEA - (30/70) While Rick has recent experience at a high level vs SEA, I do not know if his very safe playstyle (often reusing old teams w/ modern updates) is going to be good enough to outpace SEA's absurd ability to build, esp w/ support of Sadly, who is arguably the best builder in the tier. SEA's playstyle is all based around forcing sequences in the builder and I think very few players have the raw play skill to identify those sequences and properly interrupt them before they happen. While I'm not a fan of how SEA approaches the game, I think in a bo1 environment she's arguably the strongest player in the pool (outside of probably McMeghan) and I don't know if Fakes support is going to be enough to help Baddummy get the W.

BIHI vs Leech (pkThunderbolt) - (60/40) I've openly said before that I'm not a big fan of how Leech approaches the game. I think in general he has a tendency to bring teams that make me raise an eyebrow and feel somewhat exploitable by an opponent w/ the skill to play proactively into the very dedicated defensive tools he likes to rely on. However, Leech isn't a bad player- he has a more than solid grasp on the game, and the tier. I think the main struggle here is that he's against an opponent with much more experience in high pressure settings, and as someone who often likes to play for a longer game, that's going to give him more opportunities to end up scrambling rather than playing at his best.

Leo vs MDragon - (20/80) Leo has consistently shown that he's not worth much more than CI Play-ins at ADV and has openly stated that it's bait. Meanwhile, Mdrag is a consistently incredible player but has shown rust at times. I think Leo's only real shot here is if he gets proper team support and somehow manages to either Subvert Mdragon's expectations of the matchup or hope that Mdragon's rust gets the better of him; the experience gap alone is too much to climb without some serious help.

Roro vs Mako- (60/40) Mako has shown incredible promise within the tier, placing well in multiple events and genuinely showing that on a player level, she can more than handle her own. However, McMeghan is Mcmeghan; there's a reason he's so widely respected within both the tier and the community at large. On top of that, Mako's only support within the tier is TDK, who I'm not confident is enough to help her get over the hump here. I think this is Roro's match, but if somehow prep aligns well or Mako plays out of her mind she has a shot at an incredible upset.

RobJr vs Triangles - (55/45) this is the matchup that I'm honestly most excited for because it feels like by far the closest out of everything we'll see this week. RobJr is a technically skilled player with lots of promise within the tier, while Triangles often feels like he has a more mild version of the Isai curse; when he cares, he plays at incredibly skilled level, but with the less he cares, the more inconsistent he plays. If Triangles wins this match, however, the momentum he can carry from it will make him one of the most threatening players in the pool. All in all my highlight of the week.

Week 2

Triangles vs Bihi (0-100)
Bihi looked great in week 1 while triangles looked decent, and Bihi comfortably won this matchup a year ago. Triangles always threatens to get mileage from creative building, but we’ve seen a bit less of this recently. I think Bihi is too hard to pin down.

Mako vs Baddummy (0-100)
Mako’s week 1 play was great, albeit straightforward, but I think her team was shaky, which makes me nervous on a team with no adv mains. Rick is on a heater, and fakes’ builder seems a step ahead right now (per ladder and ADVR). Baddummy brings more firepower to the table here.

SEA vs robjr (100-0)
Rob’s solid and mistake-sparse play nets him a lot of wins vs good players in medium-to-slow-paced games, like last week, but he’s the type of player SEA feasts on. I favor her high-pressure, explosive style.

Mcmeghan vs Mdragon (100-0)
I anticipate both boomers opting into slow-paced setup teams with which they thrive. Roro is likely to have an additional (non-standard?) tool to give him the upper hand in the matchup, and he’s the best in the business at converting small advantages into wins.

Leo vs PKLeech (100-0)
Leo looks primed for a bounce-back performance after an unfortunate week 1 game. His sharp in-game instincts and unparalleled supporting cast will set him up well for a win.

Favorite Game from last week:
MCM vs Mako

Have more time this week so let's go with preds

Week 2
Triangles (0-1) vs Bihi (1-0)
Triangles seemed in decent form last week in his game with Rob, I think he can bring it back this week and I would love to see more of his flashier teambuilding come out. Bihi has proven time and again however that he can pose a problem in many different generations and is pretty diverse in what he plays which could pose some problems for Triangles.

Mako (1-0) vs Baddummy (1-0)
I favor consistency and I liked the team choice from baddummy last week. Think there is a good chance they keep the streak going and build good momentum going into the second week of the season. Mako got a win next week in an upset vs Mcmeghan. She played pretty well however, but I think Baddummy takes this here.

SEA (0-1) vs robjr (1-0)
All things considered, SEA I think played pretty well in her matchup vs Baddummy. I also see the hype she is getting from many players and rightfully so. I think she can pull out a good win this week. Robjr had some good maneuvering in the forre vs skarm matchup last week, and his play seems rather accurate so I wouldn't be super surprised if he pulled out another win either.

*Mcmeghan (0-1) vs Mdragon (0-0)*
This is the battle of two ADV titans right here, I'm really excited for this one. Mcmeghan has shown an insane prowess in ADV so it is hard for me to bet against him and I realistically think he can win with most styles. His team last week was really cool as well, he also displayed some good late-game positioning and unfortunately lost on a miss. Mdragon didn't play last week as well so it has me wondering if this is going to be another Jester slot in but either way I think it will be a good game no matter who the tigers field.

(0-1) Leo vs PKLeech (0-1)
I don't have much to say on Leo's game last week, just rather unfortunate really. I hope he can bring it back this week. PKleech seemed in time trouble for a lot of his game last week I'm rooting for either here to pull it back this week and get a good win., with a slight edge to Leo here.

Predictions Record (Keeping track to see how wrong I am)
-- Bet on tigers to win last week and I still would've taken Jester in that game.
3-2
* = My Highlight matchup

w2 predictions
ADV OU: Triangles vs BIHI - Triangles didn't have a bad game w1 despite losing. Teamwise he just loaded the hclat el clasico which kinda cheats on gar and then he also faced gar. I think he played smart to get the spike advantage vs a standard forre team but then as we saw he messed it up in the late game. Then BIHI played pretty phenomenal bluffing boom with gar like 3 times before actually pulling it off and hitting the bliss too. It may be argued that pk didn't play well enough either but still a great display from BIHI. BIHI looks to be playing confidently and sharp and that sharpness was missing last week from triangles to finish the job.
ADV OU: Mako vs baddummy - I found that Mako played well last week despite the game-changing luck at the last turn. In a different game, roro wouldn't have maybe even had that much bulk on meta so it wouldn't have needed to come to that. I didn't like the team choice but I'm sure sadly had reasons for it. Rick is just very good right now, picked a good spcoff (rare) w1 and piloted it correctly. Great to see some influence from Fakes here with the AP mixtar and this gives the needed spice to his game which was the one point I found missing. Thinking I will just bold Rick every week from this point onwards unless Roro-clause or his play just drops off for some reason.
ADV OU: M Dragon vs McMeghan - This matchup is just pure joy to see. Unfortunately, M Dragon did not get to play week 1 so we can't dissolve anything from that, not that it matters as we all know how good he is. Already talked about the game McMeghan played last week but his shit was just solid overall as you'd expect. This game could be going into 100 turns+ and my gut feeling says M Dragon will win that one. However, I predict McMeghan to bust out some nasty BP shit to pull off a win under 30 turns.
ADV OU: pkThunderbolt vs Leo - Both players did not have really good games w1 and are perceived to be at the bottom of this pool by the general public so it is a game both really want to win here. I think the winner of this game kinda gets their momentum and goes on a roll after that. pk's game last week wasn't something to write home about but it was kind of close had he gotten like a single boom turn right. I think there is enough foundation here to be seeing a potential win here as his team prep seemed mostly fine. For Leo he couldn't really ever get going in his game it seemed like and didn't spark much confidence. Besides that using Dynamic Punch jirachi is something that should be punished in some capacity by having bad karma in future weeks.
ADV OU: SEA vs robjr - Didnt like either team used in w1 from both sides, as I felt there are better variations of both teams used. Playwise I think SEA did almost as much as possibly could have been done but that SuperRachi matchup was just that bad. Even tho rob won I don't like his team + play last week. Just believe there is more potential to be built off from SEA's side compared to rob and I expect the prep from SEAdlysius to be better this week and be able to strike a more winnable matchup.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
As a neutral observer this season, I can offer objective thoughts about every game and I plan on doing just that! Here's my review of all the week 1 games:

baddummy (W) vs SEA

These guys have to know each other very well now, since this is a rematch from CI grand finals. Rick brought a team reminiscent of something I used against johnny in CI6, but with a silly Tyranitar set. SEA brought a pretty standard special Spikes offense, which falls within her preferences but is still unexpected given her, uh, tendencies. I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Magmar or Dustox, but I guess they'll be kept for more important matches.

The first key play of the game was the Tyranitar trade on turn 3. SEA accepted the trade instantly even though it was evident Rick's team couldn't handle Tyranitar very well; his reaction to Tar lead was to scout with Sub then immediately send his own Tar in. This translated into an immediate advantage for SEA as her Zapdos had Rick on the ropes: that kind of special offense handles Zap poorly unless Tyranitar is at 100%. That was made even more evident when Rick's reaction was to send Claydol in to click Psychic. Fortunately for Rick, Claydol was able to shoo Zap away which gave him an opportunity to reset momentum and get the snowball rolling.

SEA then catches a lucky break on turn 11. Her Skarm was under heavy pressure, unable to get Spikes up -- and then Fire Blast misses (classic) and Dugtrio is dragged in from Roar! The only immediate pressure Rick has is to send Zap in for another round, but at that point it's already very low. SEA omits to Protect as Rick click BP and once again resets momentum.

Turn 18 reveals the crucial tidbit of information that Rick's Jirachi is faster than SEA's Gengar. Here, SEA is in a bit of a pickle: Rick's trusty SubCM Rachi has free setup on Gengar. The Swampert then gets blasted by Superachi which is pretty much worst case scenario for her in this endgame. She shoos it away with a Skarm Roar, getting the worst possible draw: Suicune's now in Spikes range, so Rick can set up his Dug for free using the sack. The rest of the game unfolds as you'd expect, resulting in a convincing Rick win.

BIHI (W) vs PKLeech

BIHI is a versatile and creative player who can win with just about anything. Leech is more one dimensional, having heavy bias towards slower stallish teams. Somehow the team matchup seems to indicate the opposite, as Leech's bulky defensive team had every tool in the book to defend against BIHI's special offense. A Roar Zap, a CM Bliss, and Spikes is pretty much the worst case scenario for a team like BIHI's, unless I guess you'd include an extra Aero, so I guess he had that going for him.

The game itself is a BIHI masterclass, enjoyable for anyone except the Tyrants. BIHI shows signs of trouble very early on as he's completely unable to shoo away Leech's Zapdos lead. He gets Roared when trying to set up his Celebi on it, reveals 5 of his dudes, and even offers to trade his Gengar for it on turn 14. Leech tries to convert his advantage here by absorbing the prospective boom with Skarm, but instead catches an Ice Punch. This gives BIHI the room he needed to maneuver, as Zap can't come back in on Gengar. Leech continues with the aggression, getting a Spike up, which was a wise decision in hindight as all he has to give up for it is a weak Tbolt.

After a simple Claydol-for-Zapdos trade, BIHI's Gengar is back in to shoo Zapdos away. The lack of sand here seems to be playing against Leech as BIHI's Gengar slowly regains its health, which comes into play as he's able to click Wisp on Leech's Metagross pretty freely. BIHI's Suicune then subs on a Blissey switch, but Leech reveals CM, which spells out a grim story for BIHI's chances. That is, unless his Gengar times the boom perfectly.

BIHI uses the threat of Explosion twice already, on turn 28 and 35, when he catches the Blissey switch with his Dugtrio. He trades Dug for Blissey's health and goes all in as none of his remaining mons would be able to revenge kill Blissey if takes a Gengar Explosion from full health. He has to get the boom turn right or he loses. He catches the Meta switch on turn 39, then Blissey comes back in on turn 41, and he finally pulls the trigger on turn 42 as Leech finally tried to call his bluff. BIHI's Suicune mops up the mess.

Leo vs Jester (W)

I was surprised to see Leo starting in ADV but I don't hate the move, he has good fundamentals and has a solid track record across other generations. On the opposite side: Jester, who obstinately refuses to give up his "I'm a GSC player" larp. Neither player brought a very groundbreaking team, sticking to the tried & true formulas. Can't hate on classics though, I'd use both of these teams in officials too (in fact, I'm pretty sure I have!)

Leo starts the game up by admitting he'd rather play blackjack or roulette, but it misses Jester's Skarmory. The MixRachi is pretty threatening here since Jester doesn't seem to have anything that can tank its hits AND likes status. Thankfully for Jester, his own Jirachi avoids all hits and fends off its opponent. Leo makes a risky play trading Spikes for a Jirachi Fire Punch, as teams like Jester's often carry a spinner, but thankfully he avoids the burn and seems advantaged for the moment. Tyranitar comes in to chase Jester's Jirachi out and at that moment you can deduce that Jester's Jirachi will possibly be a huge problem.

Jester makes a chain of nice positioning plays to get his Skarmory in and get Spikes of his own. He follows it up with a risky Protect which I thought was a bit greedy: Leo had pretty much revealed he was Lum Tar by pivoting it into Jirachi, and used EQ which ruled guac out. Giving up a free DD conceded a sizable advantage to Leo, but thankfully it didn't turn to disaster when his Skarmory avoided the flinch and safely Roared Tar out.

The two of them then trade all layers of Spikes, indicating the result of this game will come soon. I assume Leo then attempted to Tox Jester's Salamence and immediately dies to a crit. With how scary Mence was I can't really criticize him for taking that risk. Leo is still free to pressure Jester heavily with Aero, but that comes to a halt when he misses Rock Slide on turn 27. In a last ditch effort, he tries to paralyze the Jirachi that terrorizes his but misses Thunder. Leo immediately forfeits as we'd all do.

Overall, an unforgiving game for Leo, but he reaped what he sowed.

McMeghan vs mako (W)

The mere sight of McMeghan leading with Smeargle must have sent mako shivers down her spine. I personally had flashbacks to the CyberOdin incident of 2023. Fortunately for mako, Roro was only rocking a standard Spikes offense. mako used a conventional Forry stall which is pretty much her comfort zone. I was pretty excited to watch this game after teaming up with mako in roapl, I think she can hold her own against the very best players in the game.

The game starts out how you'd expect; Roro carefully sets his Smeargle up, seemingly landing all of its possible edges, and then protects what's acquired with Gengar. And then... it subs. Roro gets minorly unlucky as the Zap wakes and doinks his Tar for a good chunk of health. As Pert comes in you understand that Roro's gameplan will be to wear that thing down for his other sweepers in the back, as is usual for this kind of team. He succeeds in getting it low and then chases it out with his Pert.

The Gengar comes in again in a much more favorable position on turn 17 as mako's Zap is very low. It gets an insane amount of value out immediately, clearing out the Blissey and putting Tar in an unfavorable position vs Roro's SubSalac Pert. mako has no choice but to pick it off with Dugtrio, forcing the endgame.

Not much to say about the quality of play here, both players I feel played a very solid game, converting their advantages. Roro's unusual Gengar put him in a position to win but the RNG dictated otherwise. Don't expect McMeghan to bring inaccurate offense any time again soon.

Triangles vs robjr (W)

This was a battle between two veterans who have been doing what they're doing for years now. Both of these guys brought what you'd expect from them too! Triangles brought the 6 Hclat loves to bring in serious games, while robjr seemingly let ABR pick and choose his team. The Bold Blissey was a very nice touch on that team, shoring it up against all types of mixed attackers.

rob had an excellent start to the game, bullying Triangles with his Forretress which was seemingly a huge headache. I question the decision to TWave the Skarmory as this not only gave up Spikes but also made Skarmory slower than Forry; ensuring Skarm would always be able to have a Spike up at the end of the turn. I'll admit the trade-off of crippling Skarm is pretty nice, though. Anyway, the Spike up was the start of a huge run for Triangles who's now in good position to terrorize rob's defenses.

rob's Blissey reveals its hand early on when it uses TWave and Wish, the last 2 possible mobes being only Softboiled and Seismic Toss. This is key information for Triangles. He plays an aggressive game getting more Spikes up with his Skarm in spite of the threat of Forry, without being careless as he doesn't stay for more layers. This seems to confirm Gar-less in rob's eyes as he finally unleashes the Rapid Spin on turn 20, only to meet Triangles's Gar and giving up the turn. Triangles immediately follows that up with a double to Swampert to fend off the Tar trap. So far I'm pretty impressed with Triangles's game, as he's built himself a sizable advantage in spite of a difficult path.

Triangles absorbing the Wisp on turn 22 with Zap reveals that his last mon is probably an offensive sweeper because Blissey would have come in there. This'll make Gengar a key player with Wisp being a huge threat, and preserving Pert health key to winning endgames vs a potential Agility Metagross or Aerodactyl. The follow up turn has Triangles's Tyranitar bullying rob's Blissey: rob decides to dissuade Focus Punch by staying in with Blissey and attacking, presumably because he wants to preserve his Pert's health at any cost. This backfires as Triangles carefully uses Earthquake which was a decent midground play -- forcing rob's Pert in the very next turn, now getting low. A few turns later, Triangles gets his final layer of Spikes and now all the pressure is on rob to find SOMETHING to get himself out of that hole. He decides that the best course of action is to trade Forry's health for more Spikes and try to precepitate an endgame.

Small hiccup for Triangles as Wisp misses rob's Tar on the switch, putting him in jeopardy of getting trapped later. Another pretty meaningful occurs on turn 37 as rob's Blissey dodges a Tyranitar Rock Slide which would have put it in a pretty bad position. Triangles's big mistake then comes on turn 42: he picks off rob's 8% Swampert with his precious Gengar, getting it trapped on the following turn and conceding the majority of his advantage. Personally I liked Triangles's Swampert for that purpose as it was sure to pick up a kill there with everything so low. Triangles explained that he thought rob's last was Aerodactyl, which made preserving Pert health paramount, but in that case he'd have been better off using Zapdos to RK the Pert.

Triangles then unleashes his endgame on turn 44: Aerodactyl comes in, free to terrorize all of rob's team. There are 2 issues though: first, Forry can still tank a hit and spin; second, rob's Blissey is Bold and thus will take considerably more punishment than any other Bliss you'd see. This creates a situation where Triangles has to flinch 1 of the 2 or lose. He didn't end up getting those flinches, in spite of Rock Slide connecting both times. Rob's Blissey and Gengar are then free to pick off the rest of Triangles's weakened team.

Much speculation has been made about rob's last, but personally I thought it was Moltres. It's a pretty classic 6, and the last here has to fend Celebi off. With the Gengar having DBond to help with Suicune, I thought Moltres made more sense than Zapdos. ABR revealed it "had HP Grass" so I imagine my guess isn't far off but we'll never know.

:toast:

Last edited:
Hi guys, just wanted to drop my take on the player field. I’m giving a slightly more in depth analysis of each player as I have played the tier for many years and know them well. Hopefully this gives newer players an insight into how good these players are. It’s just a little breakdown on how good each of these guys are

McMeghan -
not bad
Triangles -
pretty good
M Dragon -
Not a weak player by any means
BIHI -
Decent player
baddummy -
Solid
SEA -
Can play the game well
Mako -
Quite good
robjr -
Not a weak player
pkThunderbolt -
Can play the game
Leo -
Knows what to do

week 2 prediCtions

adv ou: triangLes vs bihi (45/55) - this mATchup feels closer in my Head than i think the data says- sOme part of me sees triangLes anD still believes, deeply, that he has that "It" factor that makes him feel so damN cool as a player. however, i also think that bihi is carryinG the MomEntum into the week. either way, both players are players i love watching and i'm exCited for the gAme.

adv ou: mako vs baddummy (45/55) - badummy Proved me wrong lasT week and I need to eat a slice of humble pie here. he brought a team that was VEry interesting (although i think i've seen the paste b4 ;] ) and it appLied A ton of preSsure inTo sea, Which was frankly Exciting to watch. mako mEanwhile had a Killer game and Was only put in a losing position because of an unoRthodox set roro teched onto gar. I Truely believE that if mako continUes to Perform at the highest level, she can definitely win thiS- but i think a slight Edge beloNgs to rick here.

adv ou: m Dragon vs mcmegHan (40/60) - thats my goat, nEed i say more?

to be serious for a moment, with m dragon being subbed out Last week, i don't feel like i have a suPer solid read on him In This moment. meanwhile, roro'S shown once again that he Can pilOt and buiLd with the absolute best of the best. while my analysis here is Deeply biased AND completely without any attempt at logic or reason, all I can really say is "thats My goat" and keep It Shmoving

adv ou: pkthunderbolt vs leo (45/55) (yes i know) - while leech is a well known tier main, and at the StarT of the season i saw Him as bEtter than leo, i cannot tell if the match last week was a one-off fluke or the Sign of something worse. rachee's analysis above is an incredible look at how a skilled player with aggressive pressUre caN sometimeS end up dismantling even leecH's best matchups, and I really want to see leech prove that he caN handle these positions as wEll. meanwhile, leo Is somewhat unproven in the tier, but i firMly Believe he has the fundamEntals to turn on the Gas vs leech and Gutter hIm

adv ou: sea vs robjr (60/40) -i thiNk sea is a brilliant builder and player, and is Garunteed the best player TO come out of the zoomer generation of adv- no matter how Bluntly i dislike hEr approach to the game, i think she's Fundamentally well positioned as long as she has the ability to capitalize on her incRedible potential to push the hiddEn information game of pokemon to its absolute limit. rob, mEanwhile, is incredibly consistent and has practice within the tier- but i do not know if he has the "it factor" to be able to shut down the insanity of a sea team.

most excited for mako vs badummy here

Last edited:
Not qualified to do this at all but I'll do this
Triangles vs Bihi(40-60) Both of these dudes looked good but damn bihi played well. His game was a masterclass. Triangles bought a gar weak team, played gar and almost saved it until the ending

Mako vs baddummy(35-65) Both of these games were good last week. I don't think that Mako got as lucky as people say she did despite the mash miss as roro having bulky agilimeta was unexpected. But I'm just gonna bold rick cuz he's amazing.

M Dragon vs McMeghan(25-75) WOOOW. Why 25-75? Well. I haven't been impressed by dragon recently ever since the 2022 PPL. I desperately want to be wrong here though.

leech vs leo(60-40) both of these dudes played decently but I think leech just has a gr8 understanding of the tier.

sea vs robjr(55-45) very close. Sea didn't bring weird shit last week. I wanna see more weird shit
I think if sea brings rapidash lead she wins.
SEA

I don't think that Mako got as lucky as people say she did despite the mash miss as roro having bulky agilimeta was unexpected.
Yeah, she didn't really get lucky at all. Dug had a decent shot to ko the metagross, and then roro had to hit mash too. The endgame was really close to even odds

My Ball knower status has been called into question after predicting only 2 of 5 games correct last week, but I am back to silence the naysayers.

Baddummy vs MDragon (100-0)
Mdragon's prep absolutely hit last week, but I expect him to revert to something more standard (read: boring) now. MDragon wins if he brings forretress. Otherwise, Baddummy will win due to a crit+para+fullpara from jirachi in an otherwise even position.

Conflict vs Triangles (100-0)
Triangles has seemed a bit off this year, and conflict has been doing good in some other tier. This one is hard to predict, but the smart money is on the player with the best team support. Conflict clears.

Pkleech vs McMeghan (100-0)
Blasphemy, maybe, but I am predicting Mcmeghan to open this tour with an 0-3 record. My stock on him actually hasn't dropped despite the 0-2 start - I can't really point to any bad plays, just a coinflip L and a bot L. But, I think pkleech thrives into mcmeghan's most comfortable style (slow-paced spikes). I think pkleech plays up against big names. And I think pkleech plays well when confident - getting into the win column last week will add a boost. We roll with the sleeper.

Robjr vs Bihi (100-0)
Last week I correctly predicted robjr being style-countered by SEA and (checks notes) electrode. This week, the opposite is true. I'm impressed by Bihi, the most feared boom bluffer around, turning dicey midgames into decisive wins. But Rob isn't the type to slip up. Rob brings a skarm balance, finds a lead early, and converts.

SEA vs Mako (100-0)
Under threat of decapitation from Smogtours overlords, Sadlysius is not allowed to help mako prep this week. The Sharks' Uber eats level team won't compare to whatever Sea and Sadly cook up

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Week 2 review:

triangles vs BIHI (W)

This was a strange game, perhaps due to Triangles's team. None of the mons on it are particularly out there but the arrangement is very far from standard. Anyway, the match starts with Triangles leading Metagross and BIHI leading Tyranitar. You'd assume Metagross would have the upper hand in such a matchup, but Triangles switches to Salamence immediately, catching an Earthquake. BIHI's move is less questionable, as you often see either fast or bulked out Tyranitars staying in to trade for damage. I assume BIHI was trying to follow that up with a Magneton trap to further enable his SD pass offense. In hindsight, the Triangles move made sense as you can see from his team composition that Metagross is his only (real) Rock resist. He probably came into the game with that Salamence pivot as a set piece to scout out his opponent's moves. Knowing this you can assume Triangles wanted to lead Metagross in hopes of luring out Skarmory early and set it up for an easy trap. This is pretty well thought-out but ultimately backfired as BIHI didn't bring Skarm.

Triangles avoids disaster early by pivoting his Mence out of an unsuspected Ice Beam, which hits Ludicolo. Just seeing BIHI's Tyranitar set here, and how he played, you can assume he has a Magneton in the back: turn 1 EQ is a pretty good tell usually. This narrows down BIHI's team archetypes to a few styles only. On turn 4 you can already guess what BIHI is playing; SD Celebi with Magneton means it's SD Pass. He'll have a bunch of physical sweepers like Metagross, Aerodactyl, Salamence, Gyarados, etc.. Triangles catches a break early as Leech Seed misses and his Metagross gains an Attack boost, forcing a hasty Celebi BP. In comes the aforementioned Magneton as BIHI trades it for damage on Triangles's Metagross.

Triangles makes a pretty good read on turn 12, blowing up his Meta for BIHI's all important Celebi. BIHI quite evidently had nothing that wanted to deal with Meta, and Triangles REALLY wanted Celebi gone to enable his Ludicolo and unrevealed Suicune. This was a gigantic swing and puts him in a good spot, with the only issue being giving up a bit of insurance against Aerodactyl, which is common on teams like BIHI's. This should be manageable between Salamence and Suicune, though. The issue lies with the double down turn, as Triangles decided to directly go to his weakened Ludicolo; all 3 of BIHI's possible lasts (Aero, Salamence, Gyarados) would easily beat Ludi. Meanwhile Ludi still had some pretty good value, threatening both Metagross and Tyranitar. Anyway, Triangles is forced to let Ludi go as BIHI went to Aero.

We then enter the crucial phase of the game, with Triangles having a decent advantage, but BIHI holding some outs. Triangles has a 100% Suicune in and BIHI follows up a Tar KO with Metagross. Both players set up, and then Triangles tries to catch the boom by going straight to Magneton -- catching an EQ. This move seems justifiable as Aero appears massively threatening and preserving Suicune on a Meta boom would basically win the game unless BIHI gets a series of flinches. However, Triangles still holds a massive advantage if Meta booms there since his Mence is DD and he has a Lax in the back. If BIHI blows up the Meta he won't really have anything that can hold up to an Intimidate supported Lax anymore, unless again he gets consecutive flinches. There just wasn't much upside to that home run try, and the failed attempt set him back immensely.

The game then ends with Meta sweeping for BIHI. Even if he hadn't gotten the crit on Lax, Meta would have been free to fish for raises or crits for a long time since I doubt Triangles had EQ on Lax -- he had no pursuiter. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good performance by BIHI, who just continues to make fewer mistakes than his opponent and appears to be on route to a very successful season.

Mako (W) vs baddummy

This game was a shootout and it started right away. As mako doesn't take the time to scout anything with her Zapdos out of Tyranitar, you can tell she has pretty nefarious intentions. Her Metagross gets decked by a simple Crunch and reveals no lefties, chasing Rick's Tar out of a potential CB Mash. His Skarm takes the hit and reveals it's not CB either though, which rings either the MixMeta or Magneton alarm bells. It turns out to be the latter, but Rick's already got his spike so he has to let Skarm go. Already, you can tell Rick is using a variant of Superman since he is chasing Mag out with Flygon, a notoriously poor punishment for the Mag trap. Mako makes a very nice pivot, inviting Flygon to Protect with her Zapdos which was just the entry her Lax needed. Already on turn 7, you can tell what the teams will look like: Rick will have a special wall like Blissey or Jirachi with an assortment of levitating special threats. Mako's last 2 will be a couple of physical brutes like Tyranitar, Salamence, or Aero.

Turn 8 is exactly where the issues start for Rick. He sends his Tyranitar in on mako's Lax and hopelessly tosses out a Crunch. Given the wide array of moves Lax can run, I can understand wanting to scout, but he could have revealed EQ simply by pivoting to his Gar. Instead, he goes for the very conservative route of trading Tar's health for a Crunch and THEN pivoting to Gar to blow up. Maybe he didn't have Will-O-Wisp? This would be pretty surprising on the type of team he was running. Worst case scenario is confirmed as Lax crushes Rick's Zapdos with Return, ending up with pretty much a 3-for-1 trade.

Mako continues to put the pressure onto Rick with Magneton, finally landing a beautiful Tox on Rick's Flygon on turn 18. That was the final nail in Rick's coffin: he no longer has any healthy physical wall and Mako's using a powerful physical offense. There is a small glimmer of hope for Rick when he lands a toxic on Mako's SubDD Gyara and puts Metagross in very low health; this all disappears when Meta blows up on Blissey though. The rest of the game unfolds with a series of uneventful scripted trades confirming Mako's victory.

M Dragon (W) vs McMeghan

As you'd expect from two 2005 joindates, the game starts with a Suicune mirror. David reveals he has Roar right away, which has the potential to be pretty concerning for Roro if his own Cune is Roarless. By turn 2 we already know Roro is running stall (as expected) and M Dragon tries to take advantage by trapping Roro's Skarm immediately; Roro saw this coming and took a careful approach, preferring to withdraw Skarm to presumably scout a potential Mag. On turn 6, David reveals his Lax and thus the win condition is pretty clear for him: clear out the Skarm, then Suicune should be able to drain all of Roro's Celebi's Leech Seed PP, then Lax will win.

M Dragon decides to entertain Roro's Celebi with his Lax and rest loop it for a few turns, not minding Leech Seed. Roro then threatens to get his Spikes up on turn 16 and invites Magneton in, doubling Dugtrio in on turn 17. M Dragon doesn't fall for the trick and stays put, as this breaks the Rest loop anyway and allows his Lax to escape with a decent amount of health. You can already see how the game will be decided: it'll be a game of cat and mouse between Skarmory, Magneton, and Dugtrio. Whichever player gets the trap first will hold an enormous advantage. M Dragon finally accepts Skarm's invitation and goes to Magneton on turn 19, however Roro went to Celebi instead, perhaps expecting one of the unrevealed mons to come in.

The next sequence has M Dragon setting up Suicune, which Roro will seemingly only be able to stop with Celebi, playing into M Dragon's game. Roro tries to hold Suicune off any other way he could until turn 33 when Celebi is forcibly dragged in and he has no choice but to waste one of his precious Leech Seeds. M Dragon takes advantage of the situation by healing his Lax with a simple switch-in, thanks to the still pristine field conditions. So far, Roro hasn't gotten much going, but he doesn't really have a good way to force progress his way either.

After the Suicunes share a couple more dances, David unleashes yet another way of making progress he has: Houndoom Pursuit trapping Celebi on turn 48. If Celebi ever goes down, there will be little Roro can do to hold off Suicune now, even with Skarm alive. Roro's hand is then forced to get progress any way he can and M Dragon takes advantage with a very aggressive Mag switch on turn 51 which catches Roro's Skarm switch. The cherry on top was M Dragon revealing Porygon2 to countertrap Duggy, protecting his Houndoom from further harm and effectively sealing the game. The rest of the game is pretty uninteresting as M Dragon's advantage is so immense even a toddler could win from there.

Overall, a very nicely played debut for M Dragon, beating the washed allegations. However, it's important to keep in mind even Mazar had tougher matchups in SPL so this loss shouldn't be held against Roro, except maybe for how predictable his team choice was.

PKLeech (W) vs Leo

This one started with a similar turn 1 to the Mako-Rick duel, albeit with a very different result. Leo's Metagross immediately gets roasted by Fire Blast and reveals Leftovers at the same time. Leo refuses to cut his losses and pivots to Charizard and gets decked for half his health by Crunch. Leo then pulls the trigger on his third switch in as many turns and his Loom takes a massive Crunch too. By turn 4 we already know Leo is running mixed offense and know very little about Leech's team. Leech then decides he's seen enough and simplifies by trading his soldier of a Tar for the opportunity to trap Leo's Breloom. This comes at the cost of letting Zard in for free, but is soon revealed to be of no concern as Leech goes to his trusty DefMie. We now know Leech is running stall, with SkarmBliss surely waiting in the wings and that appears to be bad news for Leo.

Leech makes a strange play on turn 12 by pivoting his Dug in from Starmie on Leo's Zapdos, but upon further inspection it's pretty safe: Duggy threatens the entirety of Leo's team if it has Rock Slide (safe to assume with Blissey in the back.) I assume he didn't want Zap to BP on Bliss into a strong breaker? This ends up happening anyway on turn 13 which also reveals Meta is faster than Bliss, if there was any doubt. Leech's momentum appears to be stalling at that point. He wastes no time turning that around by spiking with Skarm on Zapdos on turn 15. He escapes unscathed as Leo BP'd. I feel like he could have taken a more careful approach, but this spike was so huge he would have been in the driver seat even if he took a Tbolt anyway. The spike enables him to switch between his defensive mons and keep them healthy while chipping away at Leo's team, putting the game out of reach.

Skarmory comes in for free again on a Pert EQ and triples down on the Spikes. The only real hurdle left between Leech and a win is Leo's Pert which is under massive pressure from all the Spikes. Leech makes a small mistake Recovering Starmie 3 times between turns 30 and 32, as this gave Leo multiple chance to crit it, and more importantly free lefties. Leo's Swampert finally goes down on turn 37 and it's now desperation DDTar time for Leo, which Leech reads perfectly and calmly traps with his still standing Dugtrio.

I think Leech should be pretty happy with this performance as he bounced back after a tough week 1. He once again used the stally stuff he uses all the time, but he played it aggressively and converted his advantages. Tough break for Leo who got benched after this, I wish him a short benching and hope he gets back soon.

SEA (W) vs robjr

Right from the start you know SEA is gonna be unleashing some bullshit thanks to her Smeargle lead, which is a good sign for her winning chances. How turn 1 unfolds however, is not. Rob's Zapdos is somehow faster than her Smeargle yet not strong enough to knock it into Salac range. This reveals that Rob's Zap is probably one of those glue offensive sets that act as a makeshift answer to half the tier. That set is usually seen on offense. Just looking at the leads we can expect a barn burner.

SEA tosses the beagle for a free shot with Tyranitar and ends up dinging a leftiesless Meta. This Meta is quickly revealed to be CB through the Mash damage on SEA's own Meta. After a couple trades and a lucky raise, SEA finds herself with an early advantage as she can freely set up an Agility. This however is short lived: her Meta lacks Rock Slide and Rob's Zap easily deals with the threat through Thunder Wave. After a turn 8 full para, the prognostic seems grim for SEA as she's rapidly depleting ammunition without rob having to spend much of his. SEA's type of team typically requires early sacrifices to set up a huge comeback later on, this pace of losing mons will have her losing soon.

SEA uses the down turn to send her Tyranitar in once again undamaged. I thought rob made a small maneuver mistake on turn 10. Yes his Meta wasn't very useful, but SEA was very obviously a DDTar and going to use that turn to DD. Rather than waste a sack already, he could have gone directly to pert on turn 10 and having the exact same situation as his turn 12 one, except he'd have an extra sack. Anyway, Swampert sends Tyranitar packing on turn 13, but not without sustaining major damage which won't let it handle an Aerodactyl or a DD Mence anymore.

Rob's Zapdos makes another victim in SEA's Gengar by paralyzing it and dinging it for major damage. SEA then lets the weakened Gar go to rob's Tar and shifts into endgame mode, having only 2 mons left. On turn 19 we finally see... Electrode... Which is somehow tasked with sparking the comeback for SEA. It does just that I'm not sure what kind of spread Electrode runs in OU these days, but it seems like rob's Tyranitar was not very bulky from the Explosion damage. As a result I'm not convinced the lucky breaks SEA got (boom crit and RS miss against Mence) mattered much as +1 EQ would have most likely KOed Tar with a single boost and the boom damage anyway. From the way rob played this, I feel like his last mon was probably a Fighting type, which would fit in the mixed offense mold rob's team seemingly fits in. Was it maybe Heracross? This would explain why it didn't come in to face off with SEA's Tyranitar. Alternatively it could also simply be Magneton. If it was, not revenging the weak Gar with it would have been a massive mistake, so I'm gonna go with Hera.

I thought this was an unusual team choice from rob who typically plays better with more balanced types of teams, since he is a pretty conservative player. SEA however righted her week 1 wrongs and piloted the kind of surprise teams she does best with. She played very well and should be a big threat going forwards this season.

I hope you guys liked this write-up too, and if you did, see you next week! :toast:

First great writeup from JIrachee, really shares a lot of insight and analysis that was lacking. Hope you continue posts like that. Big fan of the creativity from this past week as well.

Week 3

(1-1) Baddummy vs MDragon (1-1)
- Mdragon's set a good standard for his prep last week, I think it was johnny who said about triple trap: "I think the style requires multiple trappers and still struggles against certain match ups, however, if you hit a tss team, you might just win on the spot." and the rest is history. If he continues with it I think he's got a good leg up on Baddummy here. I have been impressed with both players so far, I'm expecting a good battle of old vs new.

(0-0) Conflict vs Triangles (0-2)
- 3rd week of bolding triangles until I'm right. I'm not writing off triangles yet, I believe he's got it in him to start doing some damage and it's only early in the season. Even though Conflict is another all time great (albeit in another Gen) I think he may need some time to warm up, as I'm not too familiar with his pedigree in gen 3.

Pkleech (1-1) vs McMeghan (0-2)
- 3rd week of bolding Mcmeghan until I'm right. But on a more serious not I think MCM has had a tough string of a couple of games. I think the prep last week from Mdragon was amazing, so his score is decieving in terms of his place among this pool. He is still one of the greats and I think he's gonna turn the season around this week. Happy to see Pkleech winning getting some momentum, maybe he will prove me wrong.

(1-1) Robjr vs Bihi (2-0)
- Bihi proved his consistency and solid gameplay with two different styles and wouldn't be surprised if he branched out here. Really high on his stock right now and I think he's going to continue a great season. Not 100% on rob right now, but I wanna see more from him. Going very safe on this one.

*SEA (1-1) vs Mako (2-0)*
- Now im starting to finally get fully on board the SEA hype train. I think so long as she stays creative she's gonna have a great season as it seems to be a good strength for her as a player. Mako has had a good start and I think can continue it, but SEA has shown good unpredictability, which is going to make preparation hard for the match. Hoping for a good game here and highlight of the week for me.

Total Predictions Record: 4-6
Last Week: 1-4
Predictions took a bad hit last week, lot of good games, I'm sure I'll be wrong, and so far my predictions have been nothing but yapping, so hopefully we get some hits this week.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
Week 3 review:

As a preface this week had some very lopsided games so I'll be brief on those...

baddummy vs M Dragon (W)

People often exaggerate when they say a matchup is "unwinnable" but this really was the case here. The openings on teams like Rick's are scripted and he was always gonna explode on the Forry (or Skarm!) turn 1 to have a shot at denying Spikes entirely. Obviously trapping Skarmory is better because you remove the phazer, but you assume Forry teams aren't running Skarm. M Dragon is running a very old trick of whose popularity has ebbed and flowed: using Forry as a sacrificial lamb to Magneton in order to protect Skarmory from it. If there was any doubt, Skarmory comes in on turn 5 and confirms the game is basically over, as it'll perpetually be able to phaze Ninjask before it passes a boost. Backpedaling a turn, M Dragon shows his trademark poise by setting up sand on turn 4 rather than automatically reacting to the threat of Ninjask; that guarantees any progress he makes without taking any real risk.

The rest of the game unfolds without any real drama. Rick attempts a desperation move going for SD on turn 12, a bluff that M Dragon calls immediately. Suicune is revealed on the follow up turn, however Sand will prevent it from ever being a real threat as it's a SubCM set. M Dragon's own Suicune reveals Roar on turn 20 so I doubt Rick would've ever been in a great position, even if he had trapped M Dragon's Skarm. Rick forfeits on turn 27 with his Suicune in Spikes range.

I'm not sure what motivated the team choice on Rick's part, but BP's always a gamble. I thought M Dragon played very well for a second week straight, and will be very interested to watch his games going forwards!

Conflict (W) vs triangles

I was pretty excited to see Conflict play ADV once more and this game sure did deliver! The two veterans start with a careful approach, with triangles revealing a Rock Slide from Conflict's Metagross. Triangles then pivots to Skarm to hopefully get the ball rolling and get some Spikes up. Conflict pivots out immediately which is a pretty telling sign he's using a CB Meta; there was no reason to switch out there unless it was to get out of a bad lock. Triangles zags again and refuses to gambit his Skarm vs the Blissey's unrevealed moveset, which is revealed to have Tbolt. Many players would have stayed in to Spike there as triangles, but switching out isn't a bad play either if you're using a slower paced team. Conflict quickly reveals his Bliss to be CM, perhaps to force triangles to reveal his hand; triangles's answer is Claydol, which is unusual but will work on the short term.

On turn 9, Conflict reveals Milotic. I honestly expected to see Skarm come in there, since it's completely free on Claydol -- I assume triangles expected the same. By then we can deduce a few aspects on Conflict's unusual team: he probably has a spinner to support Bliss and Milo, no Mag as it would've come in to trap Skarm, and quite possibly no Spikes as the usual suspects would've all come in by now. That means his gameplan is centered around boosters. He's already shown CM Bliss, but it's very likely there's another as Bliss isn't that reliable of a game ender without Spikes. The last assumption you can make is that Conflict probably has Tyranitar as Spikeless Sandless is just asking for trouble.

Triangles decides to take the trade on turn 11 and get some Spikes up; he follows it up with a good Roar that reveals a Leftiesless Tyranitar. I personally would assume CB in that position since it excels on these spinner balances. Rock Slide calc damage seems to indicate otherwise though, and triangles reveals the odd HP Steel Skarm. By then you can assume his Rock resists aren't great. A very bulky Suicune comes in to sponge another Rock Slide on turn 17 and seems to confirm that hypothesis. Triangles's Suicune bullies Conflict a little bit until it's finally forced to Rest, and we finally have the game defining moment on turn 26. Conflict's Metagross is in on triangles's helpless Skarmory and fires off a CB crit Mash. With Cune snoozing, there's nothing left on triangles's team that really like to mess with CB Meta.

Conflict makes a seemingly aggressive read to Tox triangles's Zap with Milo on turn 28: here you have to realize that triangles absolutely cannot afford to let Claydol in, as his Skarmory is in range to die to even Psychic. If the Spikes are spun the game would be out of reach. This doesn't end up being very costly of triangles however; his Blissey has Aromatherapy and can take care of the Tox quite easily. However this does mean his Bliss will be helpless against Conflict's CM Bliss. After firing off a warning Psychic on turn 31, Conflict's Claydol clears the all important Spikes and puts him entirely in the driver seat for this game.

After some exchanges, triangles starts to threaten with his Roar CM Cune on turn 46. This however lets Conflict heal his Bliss. Still with no Spikes in sight, there isn't much Suicune can do to make progress other than get a timely critical hit. Conflict has a Toxic Milotic and 2 Explosions to keep Suicune in check. Triangles's winning chances show a pulse on turn 50 with an opportunistic Skarm heal, but it's still not enough to get Spikes back up. Conflict maneuvers to get Metagross back in for more action on turn 58 and gets an Attack boost on the 0 sleep counter Suicune -- meaning it gets a surefire KO unless Mash misses. Triangles decides to let Suicune go and seemingly has no juice left unless his unrevealed 6th can save him. Conflict makes a questionable decision on turn 66 to Fire blast with his Mence on triangles's healthy Bliss, I assume he was trying to catch Skarm? Still, the Blast lands harmlessly as Bliss only cranks out a SToss. Metagross comes in on the follow up turn and claims triangles's Zapdos, but is then revenged by Dugtrio. Unfortunately for triangles, this is too little too late, as Conflict's massively threatening Salamence controls the rest of the game.

I thought this was the best game of the season so far! Unlucky again for triangles who'll hopefully have better luck coming his way next week.

McMeghan (W) vs PKLeech

Pretty rare sight to see a 0-2 Roro coming into a week, needing a win, and not one I'd love to face either. The player enter a timeless Mence vs Tar lead situation in which anything can happen: Leech scouts Brick with a Skarm switch, and Roro expects the bulky water to come in and throws Lax in. While on the surface this might seem quite fortunate for Leech, there's a good chance Roro has a Magneton in the back here. Leech decides to not only take that threat seriously but take it for granted: he sends his own Mag in to countertrap. Meanwhile, Roro turns the heat on by setting up a Curse; this indicates that a) he has a spinner in the back and b) his Lax probably has Selfdestruct. On turn 3, Leech decides to take a more conservative approach and scout Earthquake by pivoting to Celebi -- and catches a crushing Body Slam. Leech dares Roro to boom on turn 4 by going back to Skarmory, but Roro refuses to budge and Body Slams again on turn 5, as Skarm flees to Tyranitar. Leech then assumes Roro's Lax is no EQ and tosses out a Crunch, but gets blasted by EQ. Leech once again tries to bait the Boom on turn 7, hoping it harmlessly blows up his Mag; but Roro stays put. I'm not sure why Leech used Hidden Power on turn 8, perhaps a misclick? Anyway, down goes Magneton too, and we're once again having the Skarm vs Lax standoff.

Roro finally pulls the trigger on turn 10 and explodes as Leech went for a Spike. I think it's reasonable to expect Roro would have a Tyranitar or some sort of Gengar lure, given his Lax moveset. Anyway, Hera is in for Roro, as is Aerodactyl for Leech on the double down. With a Spike up you can expect Aero to be reasonably threatening against an offensive team like Roro's. The threat is pretty much nullified from the getgo since Roro decides to cut his losses and stay in anyway, not fearing HP Flying.

I thought it was pretty strange when Roro revealed... Blissey? on turn 13. It doesn't seem to fit on Roro's team at all, but I guess it does reinforce the notion that he has a spinner in the back. Regardless, that Blissey is massively threatening as Leech doesn't have anything that loves dealing with Ice Beam anymore. Salamence comes in on turn 16 and wraps the game up. The last few turns are just a metaphorical way to say GG.

I'm sad for Leech as the game got him benched, but Odin is a more than capable backup. I hope to see him again soon.

robjr (W) vs BIHI

We open up with the same lead matchup as the last game; rob does the same as Leech, but BIHI goes to Cloyster, again to take advantage of a potential bulky water. For both players this has potential to backfire immensely: rob doesn't have a spinner and has got a couple grounded mons, while BIHI could just get Toxed AND give up layers. As such they both hope for the best and trade max layers, with rob realizing his better immediate posture by tossing in a Toxic in the middle of the way. Thanks to a timely Thunder Wave, BIHI's Swampert is faster than rob's Skarmory and can now be massively threatening with Roar.

BIHI quickly racks up the Spikes damage with Roar, until he draws rob's Salamence in on turn 10. With his Pert full and thus out of HP Grass range, BIHI decides to take the risk and fire off an Ice Beam. Had rob lacked HP Grass, that move would've had massive upside for BIHI: rob simply lacked decent answers for Pert at that point of the game. Roar is often seen on Mono Pert which non-Grass Mence can sit on anyway. Unfortunately for BIHI, Pert gets creamed by HP Grass and he fails to KO the Mence in return, so he has to let Pert go.

It just keeps getting worse for BIHI as rob's Tar gets in on a telegraphed Softboiled on turn 14. That Tar immediately sets up a Sub, and with Pert down it can only spell bad news. BIHI attempts to pivot on Focus Punch with Gar but gets blasted by Crunch. After BIHI finally shoos Tar away, rob reveals his last Pokemon: Aerodactyl. Once again with Pert down, there isn't much worse that could happen. The win condition for him now starts with R and ends in ock slide miss, probably in the plural sense. Rob then innocently lands a Psychic on BIHI's Mence on turn 22, but digging deeper reveals that Double Edge from rob's Aero now takes a completely free kill and thus crystalises rob's winning chances even further. Rob then finally subs again on Blissey with Tyranitar on turn 32 and puts an end to the battle.

Funnily enough, this isn't the first time rob faced that team, as he faced it in SPL 13 finals. He had a happier conclusion to this game though. Good stuff from these two as always.

SEA (W) vs mako

After the first two weeks we had come to expect an offensive shootout from these two and we weren't disappointed. SEA opens the game with her D rank Pokémon of the week, Zapdos. It quickly BPs out to Swampert which easily sponges mako's Metagross's Rock Slide. The damage seems to indicate CB Meta against OffPert. SEA takes advantage of the lock creatively by better positioning herself with Metagross coming in; mako gets her ball rolling with Lax coming in, which can shrug off anything Pert tosses at it anyway. Obviously this situation puts SEA in the driver seat and has her in an early lead. Said Meta is revealed to be CB immediately as Mash utterly crushes mako's Suicune. SEA answers with Zap, which trades favorably since mako's Cune is slower and fails to KO with a boosted Ice Beam. Rather than risk her precious Meta's health on the follow-up Lax, SEA throws Gengar in on turn 7 and harmlessly catches a Body Slam.

Already you can feel that the wheels will fall off the wagon for mako if the match keeps up at such a pace. Her immediate answer to Gengar is Claydol. This is an opportunity for SEA to get more progress and set up her Celebi on turn 10, but mako defuses it immediately with Lax. Fearing Shadow Ball, SEA defers to Metagross but instead catches a BSlam which fortunately does not paralyze. SEA makes a gorgeous double switch on turn 15: forcing mako's Claydol out with Celebi and enticing Lax to come in once again, but immediately switching to Meta. This claims mako's Suicune, but allows mako to claim SEA's Zapdos in return with a crit Mash which I doubt mattered.

This lets SEA send the all threatening Charizard in. mako's pivot to Mence was very smart, not only will it force SEA to reveal a potential HP Ice, but it also cuts Focus Punch's power for Lax to have a better handle on Zard. SEA has an unfortunate miss on turn 19 which sets her back a little, but an attack raise and 2 mash hits later, she is back in a pretty commanding lead. mako decides to reveal her last Pokémon, Tyranitar, on turn 24. This might seem like a strange choice to chase an attack boosted CB Meta out, especially with a full health Mence; keep in mind mako's Mence is guaranteed to be DD and Tar threatens SEA's entire team if it's a special set, like guac. This allows SEA to pass a CM to her Swampert, but it's defeated by mako's Lax thanks to a timely para.

mako attempts to position her Tar in on SEA's low Gengar on turn 30 but gets blasted by a crit Tbolt. A follow up Giga Drain takes Tar out and leaves mako with no choice but to shoo Gengar out with Claydol. SEA goes to Charizard and blasts away, as mako clicks Explosion. mako didn't expect the ending, as she positioned it well for Mence to be in on Celebi 1v1 at the end, but succumbed to an unexpected HP Ice, netting SEA the win.

It's an interesting exercise in assumptions, but knowing what we know mako would've probably won if she sacked the 17% Lax to Zard on turn 33. This would've allowed Mence to get a free DD and most likely sweep, if not just buy the 27% RS flinch out, depending on her spread. In the heat of the moment it's very difficult to get those HP Ice vs HP Fire vs HP Grass guessing games right though.

Hoping for some more good games next week :toast:

Threat of the Week: Weeks 1 to 3

Welcome to Threat of the Week: ADV edition! Not sure if people would be as interested in this, but this is a project I run for SV OU in SPL and I figured I'd extend this to one of my favourite generations, taking a quick dive into the data side of tournament play. In this project, we take a look at not only the K:D ratios of every Pokemon but also their differential, or rather their number of kills minus their deaths. Due to the lower number of games played relative to SV, this recap will be for the first three weeks of SPL combined, with replays included for a window into each Pokemon's best showings! Of course, don't take this too seriously: a Pokemon having a low differential might indicate more that they're a defensive piece or a hazard setter than anything about their performance, but this is still a fun way to look at things and I hope it provides some insight into what's hot and what's not in the meta!

Though I typically set the cutoff for SPL at 12.5%, I'll raise the "high usage" bar to 20% for ADV to reflect there being fewer Pokemon in the meta - these are the best performances from mons with 6 or more uses over the first 3 weeks!

#1: Salamence
mence.gif

Differential: +7, K:D: 2.2, Uses: 10

Salamence takes its spot as the mon with the highest differential in the first three weeks of SPL, with 13 kills and 6 deaths across a 50% winrate showing off its strengths as both a sweeper and a revenge killer for the tier. Mence was consistent more than anything - it never picked up more than two kills despite managing a K:D even greater than 2 as it closed out games twice while living to tell the tale in others, although it was spared one death by a forfeit in BIHI vs robjr in a Mence vs Mence showdown. Salamence was the last mon on the field for Conflict vs Triangles however, where a MixedMence took down a Claydol and revenge killed a Dugtrio before coming out after Conflict's own Claydol boomed on a Blissey to put it in range of sand, denying Mence its third kill of the game. Salamence was again denied a third kill in SEA vs robjr, this time with a DD set being given an entry point to Dragon Dance by the clear metagame staple of Electrode and cleaning up a Tyranitar and an Aero before a forfeit with one mon unrevealed. Great start of the season for Mence, we'll have to see if it can keep it up over the next couple weeks!

#2: Aerodactyl
aero.gif

Differential: +5, K:D: 2.7, Uses: 6

Though Mence has picked up the best differential of the first few weeks of the season, Aero managed the best K:D ratio despite a pretty mediocre 33% winrate with 8 kills and 3 deaths. Aerodactyl's capabilities as a Choice Band-using, sand- and spikes-immune revenge killer have been its most alluring traits, although BIHI brought a SubLiechi variant against Triangles in week 2. Aero didn't end any games, but it tore through BIHI's team for robjr after the only Rock resist in Swampert went down, leaving the team wide open for a SubPunch Tyranitar to break through. Its highest number of kills though came in a losing game for pkLeech vs McMeghan, finding entry points to try and salvage the game and managing to claim both a Blissey and a Mence that were sacrificed to allow a Metagross to safely boom on it and take it out as a classic last mon Aero. Really solid cleaner and a great form of speed control, Aerodactyl's been doing good in SPL so far.

#5: Metagross
meta.gif

Differential: +3, K:D: 1.2, Uses: 13

Although picking up a merely respectable K:D of 1.2 and differential of +3, Metagross was SPL's overall kill leader with a 15 and 12 record. Despite going down in all but one of the games it came to (that game in particular having it only saved by a forfeit), Meta showed up to do more than just play and consistently managed to trade at least one piece off the board; half of its 12 deaths came from itself booming. Its best performance came for BIHI vs Triangles, as an AgiliGross got a turn to set up on a Suicune, bluffing an explosion that let it take out a Magneton for free with Earthquake. It then proceeded to blast through a Snorlax with a crit Meteor Mash, 1v1 a DD Mence and then boom on the last mon Suicune to secure the win. Sometimes you just have to accept the trade, and an explosive performance from Metagross cements its status as one of the best, if not the best, 1 for 1 trader in the tier.

Next, we'll be taking a look at the Pokemon with less than 20% usage that came during these weeks - have any less-used picks performed far beyond expectations so far in SPL?

#3: Snorlax
lax.gif

Differential: +5, K:D: 2.2, Uses: 5

Who said Snorlax peaked in GSC? Despite not appearing during week 1, Snorlax made a splash in both week 2 and 3, appearing on mostly physical offense but also coming on rain for Triangles vs BIHI. A CurseLax did particularly well for McMeghan vs pkLeech,scaring out pkLeech's Skarmory in fear of a Magneton and getting a Curse up early - however, this proved to be costly as Snorlax not only EQd its way through both a Ttar and a Mag that came in as Skarm tried to bait a boom, it then revealed that it did indeed have Self-Destruct to take out the Skarmory and pave a clear path to victory. This wasn't even Snorlax's best game though, as M Dragon made a hard call that McMeghan wouldn't bring sand in week 2 and it paid off immensely. Here, a Curse + Rest Snorlax had basically no solid answer besides Skarm, got free opportunities to heal up over the course of the game and ended up coming in after the Skarmory got Mag trapped to clean up 4 - 0. The last couple weeks have been pretty great for Snorlax in ADV, with it really feeling like one of the most potent threats in the tier.

#4: Jirachi
rachi.gif

Differential: +4, K:D: 4, Uses: 3

Maybe Rachi didn't have the highest number of uses in SPL, but it more than made up for it with a perfect performance - it didn't appear a single time in weeks 2 or 3, but in week 1 it cleaned up a game for RealJester vs Leo in a Jirachi mirror where neither got any kills. This isn't what we're here for though; in baddummy vs SEA, a SupeRachi proved to have no real switch-ins by taking down a Pert and a Skarm when it got free entry before later cleaning up in the endgame without even needing a single Calm Mind. Jirachi is still without a death in ADV SPL, but we'll have to see if it shows up again in the next few weeks after a notable absence from the last two.

#6: Flygon
flygon.gif

Differential: +2, K:D: 3, Uses: 1

Flygon's single usage can be attributed to a near-absence of Superman structures during the first three weeks of SPL, with a 0% winrate slightly offset by it putting the team on its back for baddummy vs Mako in a game where an unfortunate early Toxic on the switch-in to a Magneton was the only thing preventing a defensive Flygon from being able to handle most of Mako's physical offense; it killed the aforementioned Mag, got the jump on a Substitute Gyarados to hit a clutch Toxic and 1v1d a Zapdos before falling to poison. Superman may be having a rough tour, but Flygon decided to put on a show in its single appearance of SPL so far.

Finally, we'll be taking a look at the worst differentials of the tour so far; these are far from bad Pokemon, and their high usage indicates that, but they didn't pick up many kills and so ended up at the tail end of the tier:

#30: Tyranitar
ttar.gif

Differential: -5, K:D: 0.69, Uses: 21

By far the most used Pokemon of the tour with a 70% usage rate, Tyranitar is the quintessential ADV mon, making up 30% of the tier's leads by itself and with its sand having a meta-warping effect on the tier. However, Ttar itself picked up very few kills, with 3/6, 4/6 and 4/4 performances as its weekly kills vs deaths and no real DDtar sweeps with its only game end coming from a Tyranitar vs Tyranitar last-mon mirror in Mako vs baddummy. Do note though that I count sand kills as being from the opponent that put the Pokemon in range of sand; Ttar would have a much better record if these kills were attributed towards it, and that's not even to speak of the damage that sand chip deals per game. If all was added up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tyranitar as the biggest dealer of damage in the tier, and it still managed to claim 11 kills in the games it came to.

#31: Swampert
pert.gif

Differential: -6, K:D: 0.5, Uses: 13

Unfortunately for Pert, a -6 differential isn't exactly helped by its 38% winrate in SPL so far, never getting more than a single kill and going down in 92% of its games. Almost half of its performances were 1 for 1 trades, but it's very evident that Swampert's value as a defensive piece is far greater than any offensive pressure it puts out and often times it sacrifices most of if not all of its limited health to deal with a single threat. This is nothing to say that Pert isn't good, still functioning as a fantastic Rock resist with great mixed bulk and the ability to threaten big damage, but it has a long way to go to make up for a disappointing first few weeks of the tour if it wants to climb the TotW rankings.

#32: Skarmory
skarm.gif

Differential: -7, K:D: 0.22, Uses: 12

To the surprise of maybe no one, the Pokemon that more often than not doesn't run a single attacking move currently has the lowest differential of the tour. Skarmory managed to pick up two kills total, with a posthumous kill for SEA vs baddummy as a Suicune was sacrificed to its Spikes, while it got the technical KO on McMeghan's Snorlax for pkLeech in a cruel twist of fate as it was blown apart by a +1 Self-Destruct. Fantastic Pokemon with an impressive 40% usage stat that really didn't have a bad set of weeks at all by Skarmory standards, but maybe those standards aren't ever really going to compete with the threats of the tier.

Code:
            Name  Uses  Kills  Deaths   K:D  Differential
1    Salamence    10   13.0     6.0   2.2           7.0
2   Aerodactyl     6    8.0     3.0   2.7           5.0
3      Snorlax     5    9.0     4.0   2.2           5.0
4      Jirachi     3    4.0     0.0   4.0           4.0
5    Metagross    13   15.0    12.0   1.2           3.0
6       Flygon     1    3.0     1.0   3.0           2.0
7      Blissey    11    8.0     6.0   1.3           2.0
7      Dugtrio     7    8.0     6.0   1.3           2.0
9       Gengar     9   11.0     9.0   1.2           2.0
10   Charizard     2    3.0     2.0   1.5           1.0
11    Porygon2     1    1.0     0.0   1.0           1.0
12      Zapdos    13   10.0    10.0   1.0           0.0
12     Suicune     8    5.0     5.0   1.0           0.0
12     Starmie     1    1.0     1.0   1.0           0.0
12     Breloom     1    1.0     1.0   1.0           0.0
12   Electrode     1    1.0     1.0   1.0           0.0
17    Houndoom     1    0.0     0.0   0.0           0.0
17     Ninjask     1    0.0     0.0   0.0           0.0
17     Milotic     1    0.0     0.0   0.0           0.0
20    Ludicolo     1    0.0     1.0   0.0          -1.0
20    Gyarados     1    0.0     1.0   0.0          -1.0
20     Marowak     1    0.0     1.0   0.0          -1.0
20   Heracross     1    0.0     1.0   0.0          -1.0
20    Cloyster     1    0.0     1.0   0.0          -1.0
25    Magneton     6    4.0     6.0  0.67          -2.0
26  Forretress     3    1.0     3.0  0.33          -2.0
27    Smeargle     2    0.0     2.0   0.0          -2.0
28      Celebi     9    3.0     6.0   0.5          -3.0
29     Claydol     6    2.0     5.0   0.4          -3.0
30   Tyranitar    21   11.0    16.0  0.69          -5.0
31    Swampert    13    6.0    12.0   0.5          -6.0
32    Skarmory    12    2.0     9.0  0.22          -7.0

That's all for weeks 1 to 3 of Threat of the Week's ADV recap! I hope this was a fun read and provides a little look into the tier's win conditions and biggest threats, these stats should clearly not be taken too seriously as a reflection of viability but it's still fun to look at the data and to get some insight into the SPL meta so far. Ordinarily, I'd provide some shoutouts here to individual mons that carried their weight and more but weren't reflected in the top rankings, but most of what I'd like to cover are already represented above! Instead, I'll give my shoutouts this week to SEA's Electrode from her match against robjr, who finished off a Pert and dealt 72% to a Tyranitar with a crit Explosion to let DD Mence clean up the game, along with a Zapdos from Mako vs McMeghan that saved the game more than once, landing an early Toxic on a Salamence that later barely prevented it from sweeping and crucially dodging a Meteor Mash that should've wrapped things up for Roro. Again, I hope you enjoyed this summary of SPL so far, and I'll see you in a few weeks time for another recap!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)